• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Blizzard

Banned
The Egypt and mountain themes are two of my favorite TF2 themes. I think the normal high-tech fortress and brown-red dirt themes are kind of dull.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The Egypt and mountain themes are two of my favorite TF2 themes. I think the normal high-tech fortress and brown-red dirt themes are kind of dull.

The game has been out for years, so it's understandable to find the basic themes rote or dull. But there's definitely ways to refresh the look.

Surprised no one has tried using the first version of the payload cart.

wcOcy.jpg

I love the mountain theme. I don't hate the egypt one, I just don't think I've ever seen anything that great done with it.

I know there was a custom map that took place on the moon, but it sorta sucked. I think someone talented could do a really good futurey pulpy 60s space theme that could be cool.

Enforcer doesn't affect the decloak time. Just the time it takes to cloak. And, because of the way the dead ringer works, it doesn't have ANY downside when using that watch. More importantly, the spy isn't supposed to be a direct combat class. Also, because of the backstab and crit mechanics, he generally has a high chance of getting a random crit with it as well.
Yeah I guess you guys are right. I just don't really use the dead ringer at all when I play spy so I didn't see the advantage there.

Do you guys train and give advice to lesser-familiar players on the GAF server (aside from "taking them to school," as you say)? Or do I need to play the Valve servers for practice against players more my level?

Yeef

Do you guys train and give advice to lesser-familiar players on the GAF server (aside from "taking them to school," as you say)? Or do I need to play the Valve servers for practice against players more my level?
It's best to play above your level, because it makes you get better faster. Also, when playing on the GAF server, don't be afraid to ask questions.

It's best to play above your level, because it makes you get better faster. Also, when playing on the GAF server, don't be afraid to ask questions.
The problem is that TF2 can be pretty chaotic so when trying to practice a specific technique, say rocket dueling a soldier, or using offensive stickies , you end up head shotted by a sniper or back stabbed by a spy.

In other cases, you can't really learn if you spend most of the game in spawn spectating.

If you join a server where the experience/skill level is way above yours, you don't learn much because the good players on your team will carry you. That's what it's felt like for me. So I thought I should stick to servers where I'm more likely to either run with players on my level or those who want to teach (and not just get sadistic pleasure 'pwning noobs').

I'm not a total noob, but I've definitely been an on-again/off-again player since joining after F2P. I'm at the point where I need to master the maps, increase my skill with specific classes/techniques, and learn what loadouts work best for me given the objectives.

Definitely play on the GAF server, and don't worry about it if you do horrible. You aren't going to get better by playing the bot-level players on Valve servers.

I'm not even that good on the GAF server, but after playing on there for a while I can now go onto a random pub and dominate. Which is nice.

As a "for instance," I've wanted to try the Buff Banner... but I never live long enough to activate it.

I have a Caber, so I can join CABERMAN™ battles, too.

I clubbed a few spies with it the other day on Gold Rush. Gotta admit, felt good.

I shamelessly started playing tf2 in gaf, and I would have to say I got a lot better.

I still feel like I ant ant do my shre to my team, but I see some awesome plays on the server.

My internet has been cutting our every 30 seconds or so for the last week, so I'll be playing and then everyone will just stop moving. Next thing I know I'm at the death screen because apparently I was jumped/airblasted off a cliff. Not cool man.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
you end up head shotted by a sniper or back stabbed by a spy.

I've been playing for years and this still happens. Every night. Repeatedly. Sometimes I hear spys yell at snipers for head shotting me when they were about to stab me, and the other way around.

Play on GAF you stupid jerk, that's an order. Unless you don't have a mouse...

Clydefrog

My internet has been cutting our every 30 seconds or so for the last week, so I'll be playing and then everyone will just stop moving. Next thing I know I'm at the death screen because apparently I was jumped/airblasted off a cliff. Not cool man.

Do you have AT&T DSL? That's been happening to me a lot lately too. Except I time out, lose my spot on the server, and end up playing something like Puzzle Kingdoms instead.

Forkball

If you join a server where the experience/skill level is way above yours, you don't learn much because the good players on your team will carry you. That's what it's felt like for me. So I thought I should stick to servers where I'm more likely to either run with players on my level or those who want to teach (and not just get sadistic pleasure 'pwning noobs').

BS. Yes, you will get your ass kicked at first, but you will learn a lot. I've learned a ton by playing with GAF. I'm by no means a great player, but I am definitely much better after playing with GAF than I would have been playing on Valve servers. It may sound like trial by fire, but due to how the game is designed it's really hard to not contribute to the team at all. Yeah, your team might carry you, but all of us have been a hero at one point or another so you will have your time to shine.

Do you have AT&T DSL? That's been happening to me a lot lately too. Except I time out, lose my spot on the server, and end up playing something like Puzzle Kingdoms instead.
I'm connected to my University's internet network, but they might use that service.

Wrangled minisentries on pubs= god mode

People just run straight into it

Crazy that an internet service can do that nowadays. They have too much control over our computers!

Gonna take a break from TF2. I overpaid for a limited edition of Skyward Sword (reason why I haven't played the damn thing), so I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of it. Also Rayman and iOS gaming.

Proven

Koth_Sekhmet is a pretty good map. It got pretty popular on some servers a few months ago thanks to some youtube commentators, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Best thing to do to improve your play is to get on the GAF server and talk. Tell people to come with you or ask where they're going. Basically, get people in the mood to talk about strategies. Especially if one of the vets is going Medic, have him lead you around.

I'm too tired to get on TF2. I'll give the Mobile Steam beta code to whoever Borgnine makes a spray of next.

EDIT:
VODs for the New Map Exhibition on Saturday are up.
Part 1: http://youtu.be/o8gRotVnmFY (match starts 21:00 minutes in, after the interview)
2nd match starts in the Part 1 video at 1:15:00
Part 2: http://youtu.be/yQoANIue_qk

Boney

Banned

I started playing with the F2P update, and have never played much m+kb in my life. And to top that off, I had a pc that barely ran the game and I have a pretty high ping so it was pretty rough. I consistently got the lowest scoreboard with very bad overall scores.

A few months of practice, both pubbing, but especially on the GAF server has made me into a somwhat decent player. I still have terrible aim, but I can at least hold my own now. Playing with GAF really helps because they'll always tip you on what you're doing wrong and whatcha need to do. Plus the guys are hilarious and if you're lucky, you'll catch Kuro getting pissed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing with the F2P update, and have never played much m+kb in my life. And to top that off, I had a pc that barely ran the game and I have a pretty high ping so it was pretty rough. I consistently got the lowest scoreboard with very bad overall scores.

A few months of practice, both pubbing, but especially on the GAF server has made me into a somwhat decent player. I still have terrible aim, but I can at least hold my own now. Playing with GAF really helps because they'll always tip you on what you're doing wrong and whatcha need to do. Plus the guys are hilarious and if you're lucky, you'll catch Kuro getting pissed.

Shaddap! It's for their own good dammit!:mad:

Want to get good at medic?
Rule fucking 1 - don't listen to Proven about using Quick fix.

Alienups

I was terrible all night but still had fun

gg lads

PS: is that fastcatattack guy a gaffer ? His aim with the LnL was unnervingly good

So yeah just tried out the deadringer for the first time on payload on a Valve server...I don't think people know about this weapon. I went like 20 and 5 or something and the deaths only happened because my internet is broken

Also killed a few people who were chasing me with the enforcer, now I agree with you guys

feels goodman

Javaman

tell that to goddamn proven.
You just don't know how/when to use it. It's one of the best tools to get the final point on 5cp maps or any other with a fast cap. It even works against sentries most of the time. Also beats out uber and kritz on fast KOTH maps and any time there's an extended battle without people dying. Overheal is overrated. Most people play sloppier when they have extra health and lose the boost right away. Uber is great against hard walls or choke points, kritz is great for crowd clearing and at choke points. Most everything else can be done with the quickfix. I would like to see some krit resistance when it's deployed though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You just don't know how/when to use it. It's one of the best tools to get the final point on 5cp maps or any other with a fast cap. It even works against sentries most of the time. Also beats out uber and kritz on fast KOTH maps and any time there's an extended battle without people dying. Overheal is overrated. Most people play sloppier when they have extra health and lose the boost right away. Uber is great against hard walls or choke points, kritz is great for crowd clearing and at choke points. Most everything else can be done with the quickfix. I would like to see some krit resistance when it's deployed though.

Over heal is not overrated and doesn't make a player sloppy and you can spread over heal out so instead of facing one quick shit and two people you can fight three over healed people.

This happened all last year to me. Got my neighbors to complain as well. Turns out that something in a switchbox burned out. Lazy ass att couldn't be bothered.

Top Bottom