• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

We have found that your account has been reached the limit of CPU.
Please resolve this issue to prevent of Suspension of your account. You need to start optimizing your statistic script to decrease
cpu usage :
If the website goes down anytime in the future, this may be the reason why. I've never had this issue before, so maybe it was probably some freak CPU spike.

Sianos

AC72298B31E083702E8A4B9C718ECCA44DDF84B8

Best weapon in the game.

Bluth54

Apparently according to Facepunch sources pl_badlands is rumored to be a new map along with koth_soho. Perhaps for a map pack tomorrow.

A new map pack would make me so happy. Those two maps plus a couple of community maps.

I wonder how Badlands would work as a Payload map though, maybe it would be payload race.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Some slick new jump maps coming out.

Re: Highlander imbalance (and map selection): How would you guys feel about a system where you (anonymously) vote for maps and rate other players and that factors into team balancing and which maps we play? It'll be a decent amount of work, so I'd rather not do it until I know if people are for it. [Addendum] Assuming such a system was put in place, would you rather have a general rating per player or a rating per player per class? i.e. Would you rather vote Quote a 1 or vote quote as medic a 1 and quote as demo a 2.

Re: Hightower - How would you guys feel about changing it to a single round and setting it to be limited to being played once every X hours?

Re: Bears - Bears are great.

I'm all for having map voting beforehand for Janklander. Should cut down on the setup time considerably and let people download custom maps in advance. Maybe the page can generate "download the maps" links after voting's done? And some text on the rules (like first to 3 for this map, stopwatch mode for that, etc.)?

It's pretty clear that the current points system hasn't been ideal for balancing... so it'd be good to try player ratings by class instead just to see if the results are any better.

A vote "yea" for limiting Hightower to 1 round. I'm one of those crazies who enjoys the stalematey, DM-focused nature of the map... but I know that the non-fans in TF2-GAF feel very strongly in the opposite direction.

Especially awesome server admin technology-wielding bears! :D

Javaman

I'm against voting for players, since the fewer popup voting things the better. Also everyone would rate me 1 but IT'S NOT LIKE I CARE.

Regarding Hightower, a single round would be great, OR a time limit that fohirces it to end. The other night was, if I recall correctly, 30-40 minutes with a single round, so it's not like a single round will fix it. If teams are unbalanced, both rounds in hightower can go really quick, on the other hand.

I don't think playing it every X hours will help either, unless X is say, 48 hours. Because if the server is busy only at 9 EST, and people only vote for hightower at 9 EST, it's going to always be available even if it had an 8-hour cooldown.

What I have always campaigned for is some genius to edit the map and add the option that makes the carts move themselves once a certain amount of time has elapsed. Of course, this would still presumably result in a tie because of the two places where the carts roll/fall back, but one team might jump on the cart to prevent a tie.

I have to disagree with you blizzard. Usually I hate Hightower, but the few times it ends up in an extended match, with balanced players I love it! It's very rare that we end up in a game that takes a heroic push or taking advantage of a teams momentary weakness to win.

Blizzard

Banned
I have to disagree with you blizzard. Usually I hate Hightower, but the few times it ends up in an extended match, with balanced players I love it! It's very rare that we end up in a game that takes a heroic push or taking advantage of a teams momentary weakness to win.
Of course you disagree, you like barnblitz of all things.

Or we could have a compromise, since you're a reasonable person. Give me 2fort matches with 1-engineer limits and you can have hightower every night.

I like hightower. Fun to death match, and promotes jumping. I haven't voted for it in a while though. It's a lot better than steel. :|

nominate cp_meleebarn

Sianos

I like hightower. Fun to death match, and promotes jumping. I haven't voted for it in a while though. It's a lot better than steel. :|

nominate cp_meleebarn

Yeah, I enjoy Hightower as well. Its a good map for deathmatch and is designed in such a way it makes every class viable. It's got a mix of nice open areas for jumping and enclosed spaces for holding.

However, we do play it too much and two/three rounds is a bit much. I'd say stick to just one for the future.

Steel is the best map ever made.

Steel starts off pretty bad when you're just fighting on A, but as the map opens up and you gain more flank routes it becomes more enjoyable. It also depends on team composition and just knowing how to play the map, but that's the same with almost every map.

People usually just surge against the wall of spam when pushing A, but I think a split E rush is usually the best way to conquer A. Send an Engie with a level 3, a Demoman (preferably running Pain Train), and two scouts or so to E and the rest of your forces to A. A 6x cap rate with covering fire by the sentry and the Demo preveneting easy access to E and the window from A means they will need to end a large chunk of their team to E to stop, making it much easier to take over A. If red's build up on E not only should you have an easier time capping A anyways, but if they just have a lone Engie there his sentry can be easily destroyed by the Demoman.

Steel is great when people coordinate but pretty droll when people just stream in one by one.

Clydefrog

People usually just surge against the wall of spam when pushing A, but I think a split E rush is usually the best way to conquer A. Send an Engie with a level 3, a Demoman (preferably running Pain Train), and two scouts or so to E and the rest of your forces to A. A 6x cap rate with covering fire by the sentry and the Demo preveneting easy access to E and the window from A means they will need to end a large chunk of their team to E to stop, making it much easier to take over A. If red's build up on E not only should you have an easier time capping A anyways, but if they just have a lone Engie there his sentry can be easily destroyed by the Demoman.

Steel is great when people coordinate but pretty droll when people just stream in one by one.

Successfully capping E as your first point like that feels so good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Why bother with the cart? Just have one giant arena death match. It's pretty much the same damn thing.

I don't mind it, but sheesh pure dm isn't fun when

Sentry in the middle will fuck things up.
Way too easy to defend incline.
People derping around instead of following objective. IMMA LOOK AT YOU CRAPPERMEN!
It's not a good map. It's a map where most people on GAF feel free to do whatever and have relatively little consequence.

Sianos

The ironic part is wrangled mini-sentry = instant stalemate breaker on Hightower
More like an instant stalemate maker.

Hightower would be much improved without Engineers. Without level threes they can't turtle the ramp room and without Minis they can't turtle the with the Wrangler and block every cap attempt.

Bauhaus

Banned
More like an instant stalemate maker.

Hightower would be much improved without Engineers. Without level threes they can't turtle the ramp room and without Minis they can't turtle the with the Wrangler and block every cap attempt.

I'm pretty sure there's a spy weapon that destroys sentries.

Yeef

The easiest way to "Fix" hightower is to get people to actually go after the objective. I love Hightower and I don't mind playing it every night, but the fact that it plays well for every class is both its biggest strength and its biggest weakness. Since just going around killing shit is fun on that map, there's little incentive to actually push the cart or defend the cart. On top of that, you tend to get a lot more demoknights, cabermen and other silly builds because of it. It always ends up with like one person actually going for the objective and the other 11 dicking around.

Sianos

I'm pretty sure there's a spy weapon that destroys sentries.
There is only one way for a non jumping class to get atop the Hightower, which is very easy to spycheck by just spamming your shotgun down it. Or even just put a dispenser on the ramp.

The wrangler means it takes four stickies, pipes, or rockets to kill and three direct hit rockets or loch and load pipes to kill. As soon as one is destroyed, he can drop down another. He can regain some metal back from his destroyed sentry and after one kill can build another.

Complaining about stalemates but then advocating Engineer use to cause stalemates seem counterproductive.

Bauhaus

Banned
There is only one way for a non jumping class to get atop the Hightower, which is very easy to spycheck by just spamming your shotgun down it. Or even just put a dispenser on the ramp.

The wrangler means it takes four stickies, pipes, or rockets to kill and three direct hit rockets or loch and load pipes to kill. As soon as one is destroyed, he can drop down another. He can regain some metal back from his destroyed sentry and after one kill can build another.

Complaining about stalemates but then advocating Engineer use to cause stalemates seem counterproductive.
There's a little window near the ramp that makes things easier for the Demo, you just need a little teamwork to destroy a sentry.

but the fact that it plays well for every class
Not for the medic.

Sianos

The easiest way to "Fix" hightower is to get people to actually go after the objective. I love Hightower and I don't mind playing it every night, but the fact that it plays well for every class is both its biggest strength and its biggest weakness. Since just going around killing shit is fun on that map, there's little incentive to actually push the cart or defend the cart. On top of that, you tend to get a lot more demoknights, cabermen and other silly builds because of it. It always ends up with like one person actually going for the objective and the other 11 dicking around.

Typical match of Hightower:

Everyone rushes over to the cart to push it and the enemy cart to stall it.
Both carts get to the ramp room.
There's an Engineer turtled up that no one want to deal with.
Everyone ignores and avoids the Engineer for ten minutes until someone gets bored and finally pushes.
Engineer runs over the Hightower to spam Minis and stall the enemy cart.
This goes on for ten more minutes until someone stickies the spawn doors so the Engineer can't drop another mini.

Sianos

You can't play Engineer and complain about Hightower being stalematey because you ARE the zombies stalemate!

@Bauhus if the Engineer is smart he won't put the sentry in direct line of sight to the window and wrangle it so it can take six to eight direct stickies in a row to destroy.

thefro

You can't play Engineer and complain about Hightower being stalematey because you ARE the zombies stalemate!

@Bauhus if the Engineer is smart he won't put the sentry in direct line of sight to the window and wrangle it so it can take six to eight direct stickies in a row to destroy.

That's why you kill the engineer wrangling the gun first.

I've done it with wrangled mini-sentries on the ramp before when I have a Heavy or someone pushing the cart up as a meat shield.

Sianos

The problem is less that sentries make Hightower unwinnable, but that they stall the match and create stalemates.

Given enough time it is possible to eventually break through a well coordinated nest, but the problem people have is that it takes so long.

There's a little window near the ramp that makes things easier for the Demo, you just need a little teamwork to destroy a sentry.
I don't think Quote is saying that engineers are unstoppable on the map, but they simply are the reason why we end up playing Hightower for so long.

I just say put a time limit on it.

Javaman

Of course you disagree, you like barnblitz of all things.

Or we could have a compromise, since you're a reasonable person. Give me 2fort matches with 1-engineer limits and you can have hightower every night.

Ewww. 2fort and hightower? That's a lose lose proposition. It's a shame 2fort and well suck so bad with tf2 classes. They were amazing on TFC. I really miss the rock map. Someone remade it but it just wasn't the same.

Proven

Here's another thing about Hightower, it's way too flipping free for the jumper classes. This means Medics have a hard time surviving. This means no ubers. This means it's almost impossible to push through a sentry nest in the map room unless a couple people work together to use one of the dearth of map positions that can be used to blow everything up, but they'll need to stick together and support each other for at least a handful of seconds in order to abuse that positioning.

So I go Mini-sentry Engineer or Pyro to counter the Scouts/Soldiers/Demos/Spies that would attack a Medic in the middle, trying to buy enough time for them to get an uber and speed the map along.

Unfortunately, GAF meta-game has evolved to the point where there are a number of players learning how to take out mini-sentries efficiently and with prejudice, while still playing the jumper classes, meaning that Medics are back to being scarce, and it's back to being just another DM map.

The more DM a map is, the less fun it is for Medics. The less Medics you have, the more annoying sentries are for you individually. Do you see what I'm trying to do here, for the good of the server?

But Proven, that would mean people have to protect Medics on the map. And if they're protecting Medics, then they can't jump all over the place. Won't you please think of the jumpers?

Proven

Looks like UGC is going to change borneo to a newer version (barring any huge bugs) that the map author made to address some complaints.

http://www.ugcleague.com/forums/showthread.php?p=99786#post99786

http://www.2shared.com/file/_B71PLnA/pl_borneo_ugc_b1.html
Also, thank you, thefro. I've spent the last three days either sleeping or watching The Dark Knight, catching up after the GW2 binge. I'm guessing it's too late to set up for the intra-team practice game now.

The Power of Teamwork feat. Engineer and Pyro

Haha, I remember the days when we played Pacman every night. :U

That's a good video, and those were horrible days.

Sianos

I don't think Quote is saying that engineers are unstoppable on the map, but they simply are the reason why we end up playing Hightower for so long.

I just say put a time limit on it.

Exactly. Engineers slow down the pace of the map, which is what makes it take so long. Obviously we eventually push through, as there is no time limit and we don't play Hightower for days.

We could try a time limit, but expect stalemates (you're all losers!) if no one still wants to deal with a wrangled nest and have fun dming instead. :U

Here's another thing about Hightower, it's way too flipping free for the jumper classes. This means Medics have a hard time surviving. This means no ubers. This means it's almost impossible to push through a sentry nest in the map room unless a couple people work together to use one of the dearth of map positions that can be used to blow everything up, but they'll need to stick together and support each other for at least a handful of seconds in order to abuse that positioning.

So I go Mini-sentry Engineer or Pyro to counter the Scouts/Soldiers/Demos/Spies that would attack a Medic in the middle, trying to buy enough time for them to get an uber and speed the map along.

Unfortunately, GAF meta-game has evolved to the point where there are a number of players learning how to take out mini-sentries efficiently and with prejudice, while still playing the jumper classes, meaning that Medics are back to being scarce, and it's back to being just another DM map.

The more DM a map is, the less fun it is for Medics. The less Medics you have, the more annoying sentries are for you individually. Do you see what I'm trying to do here, for the good of the server?

That smells like an excuse to me. :U

If you really want to help Medics, go Demoman and charge uber in spawn if you can't build outside. Then walk over to the nest and m1 + m2 it. Level 3s aren't as big an issue as Minis on the Hightower preventing caps and grounding jumpers.

Instead, you're slowing down the pace of the game as Engineer by forcing people to stop and deal with your infinite supply of Minis before they try and push.

your avatar is getting weirder :D

Don't think you've seen my new spray yet, have you?

Sianos

Does this mean no Late Night TF2GAF? Im going to be home in a half an hour or so and was looking forward to it. :(

I'll be free to scrim Sunday if you need me.

Proven

Hit up thefro or dogwelder/yurt if you want a game. People are still willing to play, but it looks like you'll do better with a small group, with the way tf2lobby is moving tonight.

Top Bottom