• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

I had upgraded SourceMod last night and, apparently, another patch had broken it again. I updated it again just now and all the crashes are gone.

Depends on if my proposal to use the team uniform of Deus Specs, Black/ White Bill's Hat, and earbuds and change the name to K$RF goes through, in which case you won't have a misc slot left.

Is there anybody who actually wants to be in charge of another highlander team, or do we just have to slowly and painfully organize it here and in Steam chat? How many people should we have (not 18)?

120B2A9A517E4A506DD408BFC765F3FA06BDA3BB

It turns out scout's legs actually just go in circles.

Proven

Oh yeah, I was one of many people that got a Portal 2 -75% off coupon for some unknown reason that lasts until August 30th. TF2 GAF gets first dibs. Just PM me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I was one of many people that got a Portal 2 -75% off coupon for some unknown reason that lasts until August 30th. TF2 GAF gets first dibs. Just PM me.
Me as well. Pm if you anyone wants.

Damn you douchewelder! Lucky I'm out of practice and gw2 is coming out. Cloudius, you must avenge me!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Friendly reminder: The biggest TF2 LAN - Multiplay Insomnia i46 - is tomorrow! NA teams Classic Mixup and Leviathan Gaming are flying over to England to compete against Europe's best, so it'll definitely be an exciting event to watch.

>> STREAM: http://vanillatv.org/

The stream and most coverage will be provided by VanillaTF2.org. Coverage can be found on TeamFortress.tv and eXtelevision as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Gais.

GAIS.

If you have a half-way decent video card, you need to do this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41320217&postcount=164

I'm blown away right now.
Whoa, isn't using modified DLLs in a VAC-protected game like the #1 thing you're not supposed to do? I know it's all vague and they don't want to tell you what triggers it, but I thought custom DLLs were one of the explicitly called-out things (and if I recall correctly there was once upon a time a HL2 mod that got people VAC banned because of the DLLs it included).

Alienups

Friendly reminder: The biggest TF2 LAN - Multiplay Insomnia i46 - is tomorrow! NA teams Classic Mixup and Leviathan Gaming are flying over to England to compete against Europe's best, so it'll definitely be an exciting event to watch.

>> STREAM: http://vanillatv.org/

The stream and most coverage will be provided by VanillaTF2.org. Coverage can be found on TeamFortress.tv and eXtelevision as well.

I'm really exited. Gonna watch as much as possible.

Zeke i'm up for it

thefro

I can play Mann Up tonight... haven't beaten any of the missions yet (had a better group of randoms yesterday but we only got to Round 5 since they never got the money, nor gave a crap where the bomb was at).

Whoa, isn't using modified DLLs in a VAC-protected game like the #1 thing you're not supposed to do? I know it's all vague and they don't want to tell you what triggers it, but I thought custom DLLs were one of the explicitly called-out things (and if I recall correctly there was once upon a time a HL2 mod that got people VAC banned because of the DLLs it included).
Oh?

I'll be sure to inform Boltof then. Sure is pretty though. :-(

Blizzard

Banned
Oh?

I'll be sure to inform Boltof then. Sure is pretty though. :-(
Well I don't know for sure, but the VAC FAQ says:

The Valve Anti-Cheat system is enabled for servers displaying the Secured shield logo. Using custom skins, sounds or maps and playing multi-player mods which do not modify core .EXE and .DLL files will not result in a VAC ban

I don't know much about d3d9.dll specifically, but if you are able to hijack Direct3D calls to do nice anti-aliasing, I would not at all be surprised if you could hijack Direct3D calls to say, render walls transparent. :p

HoosTrax

I don't know much about d3d9.dll specifically, but if you are able to hijack Direct3D calls to do nice anti-aliasing, I would not at all be surprised if you could hijack Direct3D calls to say, render walls transparent. :p
I wonder what the functional difference is with programs like FRAPS, EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner etc, that overwrite a portion of the screen buffer to display FPS and temperature information. (Those don't cause issues with VAC)

Blizzard

Banned
I wonder what the functional difference is with programs like FRAPS, EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner etc, that overwrite a portion of the screen buffer to display FPS and temperature information. (Those don't cause issues with VAC)
Well adding something extra onto the screen isn't as bad as taking something away (like a wallhack). As for why they don't get flagged, I think VAC is supposed to check for "known" hacks, which is why it is supposed to be infallible and you can't appeal or whatever. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it did a check for a known good version of the game .exe and .dll files to make sure they haven't been modified (Fraps etc. wouldn't modify these).

HoosTrax

Well adding something extra onto the screen isn't as bad as taking something away (like a wallhack). As for why they don't get flagged, I think VAC is supposed to check for "known" hacks, which is why it is supposed to be infallible and you can't appeal or whatever. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it did a check for a known good version of the game .exe and .dll files to make sure they haven't been modified (Fraps etc. wouldn't modify these).
That kind of suggests that VAC wouldn't be useful against external programs that draw a crosshair to the screen buffer in the same way FRAPS does. For example for the TF2 sniper when he's not zoomed in (in the old days before this was changed), or for weapons that use iron sights.

That kind of suggests that VAC wouldn't be useful against external programs that draw a crosshair to the screen buffer in the same way FRAPS does. For example for the TF2 sniper when he's not zoomed in (in the old days before this was changed), or for weapons that use iron sights.
You can plop a crosshair font in the center of your screen through HUD editing that pure doesn't touch, it's how I get a two tone Quake 3 styled + crosshair. I imagine you could do something like that in other Source games as well.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Damn you, Valve servers! :( I thought I'd become a Mann tonight...

But good job, guys - the Mannworks Endurance mission wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Sibylus

Banned
Well I don't know for sure, but the VAC FAQ says:

While I don't have a solid answer on this, I can say the DLLs provided haven't overwritten any of the game's own afaik, and I haven't had to change anything about a game's .exe to gain the SMAA functionality.

Oh, and I think you may be thinking of HL1. HL2 mods are distributed with custom DLLs with official blessing (further, source code for the HL2 + Eps is granted with the Mod tool so that you may implement custom code and can compile your own), though in technical terms they're closer to being insular expansions.

Even so, probably best to play it safe and by ear for now.

This fellow seems to have been running TXAA & SMAA injection for nearly a year now with no VAC bans: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31804775&postcount=365 (I've yet to see any post on any board complain about being banned for SMAA injection within the past year, looked and nada). A grey area to be sure, but all that I've got to go on to indicate a negative outcome from this is message board speculation.

While I don't have a solid answer on this, I can say the DLLs provided haven't overwritten any of the game's own afaik, and I haven't had to change anything about a game's .exe to gain the SMAA functionality.

Oh, and I think you may be thinking of HL1. HL2 mods are distributed with custom DLLs with official blessing (further, source code for the HL2 + Eps is granted with the Mod tool so that you may implement custom code and can compile your own), though in technical terms they're closer to being insular expansions.

Even so, probably best to play it safe and by ear for now.

This fellow seems to have been running TXAA & SMAA injection for nearly a year now with no VAC bans: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31804775&postcount=365 (I've yet to see any post on any board complain about being banned for SMAA injection within the past year, looked and nada). A grey area to be sure, but all that I've got to go on to indicate a negative outcome from this is message board speculation.
Thanks for looking into this. It looks really great, so I may keep it on.

I tried MvM for the first time last night. Man, that's deceptively hard.

Did one run through Manouvers on Mannworks and a few attempts at Crash Course in Coaltown that fell apart during this round with one tank, a crapload of Scouts, and a few Spies. Didn't help that my team wasn't making the hugest effort to get all the cash in earlier rounds, so I was mildly hurting.

Upgrading the Beggar's Bazooka was great advice, though, so thanks, whoever it was in this topic that suggested doing that. Shame it didn't help me win, much. Losing two people after failing that round a couple of times didn't help matters... We never did finish it.

Top Bottom