• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

Mann Up with randoms is terrible. If I play Scout, I always get the money, but if I don't people just leave it laying around.

Also, regardless of the money situation, randoms can't handle the last few waves.

Mann Up with randoms is terrible. If I play Scout, I always get the money, but if I don't people just leave it laying around.

Also, regardless of the money situation, randoms can't handle the last few waves.

There is a rare chance that you actually get decent people.

Blizzard

Banned
What is the mothafuckin' appeal of Hightower?

It's terrible

It's 2fort-tier
I rather agree with this since it's a deathmatch-y stalemate-y map, and I don't like the rollback hills and no time limit. And I don't like that the scenery and spawn placement doesn't change when you push the cart, so there's no variety (potentially for 30-40 minutes).

People who do like it argue that each class has a role, so in theory it's 9-class deathmatch or whatnot.

It's terrible

It's 2fort-tier

No, definitely not. 2fort is a joke, literally. It's the map you play at 3 am and do stupid things like punch people with the Gunslinger and spam taunt kills in front of the spawn door. It's cramped and blatantly favors heavy, pyro, soldier, and demoman. Hightower is wide-open and part of it is pretty vertical. Every class that isn't medic can do pretty well, and it doesn't take just one sentry to put the entire objective on hold.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I find organized matches, especially with my TF2 buddies, to be infinitely more fun than waiting for a random pub matchup.

Also Hightower is fun.

It's terrible

It's 2fort-tier

There's a stark difference between 2fort and Hightower. With 2fort, your desire to win is indirectly proportional to the amount of fun you want to have when you play it. Sure you can sit in the intel room as an engie with your sentry nest for 10 hours doing nothing or camp at one of the narrow corridors as an heavy or demo but you'll be bored as hell doing it. Or you can just screw around in the middle of the map and play TDM with the rest of your teammates. Hightower at least is designed to make it's objective feasible.

Bluth54

Hightower is okay, but it does feel a bit too much like a death match. I consider it the best official payload race map (second best if you include community maps, final level in Panic is amazing).

I would rather see us play 1 round of it like other payload race maps instead of 2.

Alienups

we gotta get those amateur 6v6 comp matches going :3

I just played a round of pub badlands and i have to admit that watching a lot of 6v6 streams helped me a ton in regards to movement and sticky placement.

Also, the Americans winning i46 seems to have served as a wake up call for the European scene.

Lots of teams being completely shook up, Byte going to back to demo. Big activity increase in pickups and such. Hope it keeps up.

Yeef

Nothing worse than a team full of [insert class here].

It's always boring when EVERYONE is playing the same class.

Maddocks

I hate playing mann vs machine with randoms because we would go smooth for 1-5 waves.....then lose the 6th wave....RESTART!!!!!!!

its like seriously? this is the last wave and we failed once and you want to restart the whole thing because you wasted money upgrading your bonesaw instead of your medigun?

So, thought here: could there be enough interest to maybe run two GAF Highlander squads if KSRF fills up quick? I'm still interested in being on a Highlander squad somehow, as my UGC Series 3 squad seems to be quite inactive now.

Kirsten

So, thought here: could there be enough interest to maybe run two GAF Highlander squads if KSRF fills up quick? I'm still interested in being on a Highlander squad somehow, as my UGC Series 3 squad seems to be quite inactive now.

I don't know if there will be enough people to do that...I don't even know if there will be enough people to make one team. That's just my guess though given the amount of people that seemed to be burned out by the end of last season.

We still don't even have enough for one. I just started classes and some other people probably are too, so it looks like somebody is going to have to take an initiative to make it happen. I don' think we have people for heavy, medic, or sniper. At best. The only classes we have for sure are scout, soldier, and spy.

Blizzard

Banned
We still don't even have enough for one. I just started classes and some other people probably are too, so it looks like somebody is going to have to take an initiative to make it happen. I don' think we have people for heavy, medic, or sniper. At best. The only classes we have for sure are scout, soldier, and spy.
I like badges and would be happy to join, I just don't think I will have/spare the time to practice to play competitively. So it's up to whoever is running the team.

Sianos

I like badges and would be happy to join, I just don't think I will have/spare the time to practice to play competitively. So it's up to whoever is running the team.
Same situation with me.

Come the Summer Season I should definitely have more time again. I'd love to play now, but I don't really have the time to practice.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I hate playing mann vs machine with randoms because we would go smooth for 1-5 waves.....then lose the 6th wave....RESTART!!!!!!!

its like seriously? this is the last wave and we failed once and you want to restart the whole thing because you wasted money upgrading your bonesaw instead of your medigun?

*gets A+ on almost every wave*
*random joins*
*starts bitching about Scouts and how we must have a heavy*
*restarts map on wave 8*

Shit kills me. If I'm taking out the medic and the Super Crit Soldier, solo (as a scout), the last thing you should worry about is my class choice. :|

I'd lend my flamethrower as a Pyro, but understandable on the classes deal. I was once there myself.

Just spend the last 4 hours trying to complete the last 2 mission I needed for Tour. Finished the one in Decoy and still have Endurance to do and my god...

We must have lost 15+ times on the last wave and it was always so close but the Giant Heavy + Medic keep getting the bomb capped.

HoosTrax

I'd put myself available as heavy but you know, west coast server and i'd have 200 ping, so nope. Yurop!
I'm beginning to suspect that any of the Valve servers that have "iad" as part of their address are in VA. Dulles specifically, since IAD is the Dulles airport code and that area is a datacenter hotspot anyhow. A Valve employee confirmed the "iad" = VA part in a post on the Steam forums.

Probably explains why I can get <10 ping on the iad servers.

No idea what the west coast servers are designated.

I'm beginning to suspect that any of the Valve servers that have "iad" as part of their address are in VA. Dulles specifically, since IAD is the Dulles airport code and that area is a datacenter hotspot anyhow. A Valve employee confirmed the "iad" = VA part in a post on the Steam forums.

so you are playing at an airport :p

Yeef

Like Gabe Newell, I may not REPLY to all of the messages I get, but I do read them all.

What I'm saying, is stop messaging me.

mOWvU.png

Also, Re: Mann-up Randoms; I actually got votekicked from a game on one of the later waves because I was playing scout, but using the pistol instead of Mad Milk. We'd had an A+ up to that point. I was going for the resistance achievement and was pretty much taking out half the bots and collecting all the money myself. I hope they failed miserably after I left.

Proven

Hey TF2 GAF. I still have Mann Up tickets left. And although Guild Wars 2 is fun and many of you have converted to the dark side, I do owe a few people a game (Boney comes to mind), and Kirsten owes me for running off for a baby. So I'll try to play TF2 tomorrow. Emphasis on try.

HoosTrax

I don't like to make kneejerk reactions about class choice, but when there's both a spy and a sniper in the group, but no engie, I immediately leave and re-queue.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey TF2 GAF. I still have Mann Up tickets left. And although Guild Wars 2 is fun and many do you have converted to the dark side, I do owe a few people a game (Boney comes to mind), and Kirsten owes me for running off for a baby. So I'll try to play TF2 tomorrow. Emphasis on try.
I want to hear the story behind this!

I can't remember for sure if it was the Dulles airport or the other one in that area, but I just remember one of them was where I nearly got kidnapped or something. They have messages playing over the intercom about how you should not take any taxi rides from anyone but these specific official approved companies etc., but I was new to the area and this guy came up to me in the airport and was like oh, you need a taxi ride, come with me.

We got out to the parking lot and his unmarked black car with tinted windows before I bailed out.

Proven

It's a really simple story, Blizzard. We were playing Mann Up. Kirsten ran off to help someone having a baby. The rest of us spend the next 2 hours trying to beat the mission without her. I haven't played with her since. The only good part of this story was that a Mann was born. She didn't like the diapers though.

I'm setting up a Mann Up group for later. If we get six earlier than expected, I might not even wait until 6pm EDT to start things up.

Right now the roster:

Proven
Kirsten
HoosTrax
Wartime

So, two more needed. I'll be on Steam all day, barring connection issues, so just message me there.

Top Bottom