• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

oOBre.png

Give yourself $30,000 (basically unlimited funds) and try doing MvM demoknight by your lonesome. Tons of fun, especially if, like me, you decide to dick around with a controller. Managed to get to the last wave on Coal Town, but couldn't beat it. I can deal with the scouts, the giants and their medics easy peasy, but when they throw in a tank at the end I realized that it was basically impossible. At least with a controller. I could probably manage it with a mouse.

Still, tons of fun. :D

What'd you say, chief Yeef?
Do what the kid said.

Oreoleo

Maybe now that Valve has released big picture mode they'll officially add controller support to TF2.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Officially? Not sure how official it needs to be but I'm pretty sure all Source games support 360 controllers at this point. Used one for TF2 a couple months last year after I busted up my wrist and couldn't use a keyboard. I mean yeah you might have to navigate menus with a mouse (which is probably what you're getting at) but the actual game is all set for controllers.

Clydefrog

My house got broken into yesterday. :( I thought I lived in a good neighborhood.

They didn't take my computer though! TF2 items = safe. They did take my 9 year old Dell laptop though. So my Snood high scores are gone.

They left a big handprint on the back window. Cops liked that. I hope this fucker(s) get caught. I hate thieves.

My house got broken into yesterday. :( I thought I lived in a good neighborhood.

They didn't take my computer though! TF2 items = safe. They did take my 9 year old Dell laptop though. So my Snood high scores are gone.

They left a big handprint on the back window. Cops liked that. I hope this fucker(s) get caught. I hate thieves.

:(

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hey guys, I'll probably be playing a lot less now, just got a really sweet deal on a 2003 Dell laptop, it's loaded with old games.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I commonly confuse you with Fallengorn for some reason

A common mistake, when you see a soldier shooting rockets at his feet and not going anywhere but merely damaging himself, it's either me or him.

I am going to talk about this from a 99% pub point of view: Soldiers are overpowered.

1. The high damage, large explosive area, and good damage output even in long range makes the soldier THE most powerful class in the game. Yes, people say that the Heavy has higher damage per second, but the Heavy's slow speed is a glaring weakness. A Soldier can move in and out of his line of fire, get high ground, and shoot.

2. The Soldier is meant to be the second slowest class in the game. Then you give him the rocket jump, making him the class with the best maneuverability. Sure the self damage is a downside of rocket jumping, then you give him the Gunboats. Yes you can argue that losing the Shotgun is a huge downside, but lets be honest: in a pub, you isolate 1-3 people, jump, kill them with the 3 rockets (maybe with 2 more cause you can tank so much damage while you reload), pause to reload full clip, move on to the next thing.

3. Its a fact that even the best pyros can lose to mediocre soldiers. A crit flare, which is much harder to connect compared to a rocket, does a measly 90 damage, when its very easy to blindly fire at someone's general direction with the soldier and do more than 90 damage. A soldier has more HP inherently than a pyro, and 7/9 other classes, longer range, higher damage weapons, and large splash. What more disadvantage is a pyro at already? Maybe there is a reason that pyros cant be used in a competitive setting, its because they've been developed as such an underpowered class.

Its frustrating, and blindingly obvious that there is no hard counter to a good soldier. TF2 is a game about having hard counters to classes, but the only good counter to a try hard, flying around soldier is to become a soldier yourself and play better. Its no fluke that whenever games seem to not go so well for me, that I instantly come back and top the scoreboard when I switch to soldier. I don't consider myself a good soldier at all, I would not be offended if you called me out for being a total assfuck of a soldier, which I probably am. I can't even rocket jump properly, yet I can sufficiently fly around the map well enough.
Last complaint, sure maybe I don't want to play soldier, I can play something else. Oh wait, some of the best utility items, such as the banners, and the whip, are given to... gasp the soldier! In the end of the day, I am still playing soldier, a class I don't want to be playing but have to because its the only class thats not underpowered.

tl;dr nerf soldier buff pyro

Javaman

Damn, that sucks. At least they can't steal your steam games!

Sianos

I played for real with a bomb gun and we won!

But then Oreo turned on FALLENHAX tm and shredded everything with his red/blue bullets.

From there heaviest team won and I slipped back into old habits. SORRY TEAM I HELPED FOR A LITTLE BIT I SWEAR

AcciDante

I played for real with a bomb gun and we won!

But then Oreo turned on FALLENHAX tm and shredded everything with his red/blue bullets.

From there heaviest team won and I slipped back into old habits. SORRY TEAM I HELPED FOR A LITTLE BIT I SWEAR

NOPE. NOOOOOOOOOOPE.

I am going to talk about this from a 99% pub point of view: Soldiers are overpowered.

1. The high damage, large explosive area, and good damage output even in long range makes the soldier THE most powerful class in the game. Yes, people say that the Heavy has higher damage per second, but the Heavy's slow speed is a glaring weakness. A Soldier can move in and out of his line of fire, get high ground, and shoot.

2. The Soldier is meant to be the second slowest class in the game. Then you give him the rocket jump, making him the class with the best maneuverability. Sure the self damage is a downside of rocket jumping, then you give him the Gunboats. Yes you can argue that losing the Shotgun is a huge downside, but lets be honest: in a pub, you isolate 1-3 people, jump, kill them with the 3 rockets (maybe with 2 more cause you can tank so much damage while you reload), pause to reload full clip, move on to the next thing.

3. Its a fact that even the best pyros can lose to mediocre soldiers. A crit flare, which is much harder to connect compared to a rocket, does a measly 90 damage, when its very easy to blindly fire at someone's general direction with the soldier and do more than 90 damage. A soldier has more HP inherently than a pyro, and 7/9 other classes, longer range, higher damage weapons, and large splash. What more disadvantage is a pyro at already? Maybe there is a reason that pyros cant be used in a competitive setting, its because they've been developed as such an underpowered class.

Its frustrating, and blindingly obvious that there is no hard counter to a good soldier. TF2 is a game about having hard counters to classes, but the only good counter to a try hard, flying around soldier is to become a soldier yourself and play better. Its no fluke that whenever games seem to not go so well for me, that I instantly come back and top the scoreboard when I switch to soldier. I don't consider myself a good soldier at all, I would not be offended if you called me out for being a total assfuck of a soldier, which I probably am. I can't even rocket jump properly, yet I can sufficiently fly around the map well enough.
Last complaint, sure maybe I don't want to play soldier, I can play something else. Oh wait, some of the best utility items, such as the banners, and the whip, are given to... gasp the soldier! In the end of the day, I am still playing soldier, a class I don't want to be playing but have to because its the only class thats not underpowered.

Full disclosure, I play Soldier and pretty much exclusively (and pretty shittily), so take that as you will before you read on.

1. What he has in short bursts can't be sustained for long. Long range isn't very viable for Soldiers in general, but I suppose that could be said for all classes barring Sniper. Thing is, what Soldier has in explosive capability, Demoman has it and then some.

2. He is slow, and that comes across any time you actually trying to maneuver around on foot. Soldier doesn't have the most effective strafe and his best mobility tool as stated comes at the cost of life. Having Gunboats means you rely on your RL entirely, which can end up being pretty limiting. If you go into battle from a RJ, you're down to 3, barring crits you're going to take at least two more for killing anyone, which then leaves you vulnerable during reloads. It also just leaves you vulnerable in general to crafty Scouts.

3. Pyro has a tool to directly counter a rocket (as well as ubers), not to mention they have explosive damage potential up close with their puff and sting combos. The class in general is very limited in what it can do, but when I think about making them more powerful I think of the original Backburner and I don't think anyone wants that. Pyros definitely have their niche in being support, I wouldn't want anymore W+M1 mayhem.

All that said, you're right in that they have no hard counters. That's pretty much what I like about playing him, he's a generalist that is good all around but doesn't strictly counter anything as much as nothing strictly counters him. He can handle every situation to some degree, but just about every class has a way of manhandling him just as much as he can them.

If you get hit at long range, you deserve every bit of that 48 damage. It is literally the easiest thing in this entire game to avoid. If the soldier is going to be moving around, that makes him reliant on Gunboats, which reduces his offensive abilities and makes him reliant on medics/ healthpacks.

A soldier who's good at rocket jumping stomps all over clueless pub players who can't even aim rockets where he's landing or use hitscan weapons? What a revelation. This doesn't matter.

That's not a fact. You can't make a subjective statement and then call it a "fact." But aside from that, pyro DETERS soldier. He's not meant to charge head on and win. He protects his teammates and discourages rocket spam. Pyro's can't be used in a competitive setting because scout, soldier, demoman, and medic already fill every role needed. Harassment, direct damage, indirect damage, area denial, healing. Pyro is only used for specific situations, same as engineer, spy, sniper, and even heavy, and you don't hear them kvetching.

Its frustrating, and blindingly obvious that there is no hard counter to a good soldier. TF2 is a game about having hard counters to classes,

No, it isn't. The only true hard counter in TF2 is a level 3 sentry against a scout, because it removes all semblance of skill. Everything else is soft counters, because it's TEAM Fortress 2. Even an uber, once the solution to everything, can be knocked away by pyros and demoman. Heavy is at a huge disadvantage against sniper, but the sniper needs to at least aim a bit and put himself at risk. It's not an automatic, guaranteed counter to the heavy. TF2 is not and never was a game about hard counters. You're incredibly uninformed and/ or not very experienced if you really think that.

but the only good counter to a try hard, flying around soldier is to become a soldier yourself and play better. Its no fluke that whenever games seem to not go so well for me, that I instantly come back and top the scoreboard when I switch to soldier. I don't consider myself a good soldier at all, I would not be offended if you called me out for being a total assfuck of a soldier, which I probably am. I can't even rocket jump properly, yet I can sufficiently fly around the map well enough.

Again, anecdotes that boil down to "Soldier is good against terrible players" aren't relevant to balance.

The banners are given to soldier because they make no sense on heavy and would cripple demoman. The issue is you and the people you play with, not any of the classes being "underpowered." Move on to scout, demoman, even Widowmaker engineer. There's plenty to do. Just don't play soldier, rather than trying to solve everything with soldier.

Blizzard

Banned
Stealing this from Yerf:

On a different note, I'm mad my replay was corrupted of me crit bottling Quote out of the air during a market gardener attempt resulting in him rage-quitting immediately after.
I'm convinced crits were on Extra Jank tonight. Zeke killed two medics at once with a blind random sticky crit, and someone one-shotted me as spy with a scout critbat. And not just repeatedly batting either, like first bat POW. ;_;

(I also got crits and Cloudius was most unhappy)

I'm convinced crits were on Extra Jank tonight. Zeke killed two medics at once with a blind random sticky crit, and someone one-shotted me as spy with a scout critbat. And not just repeatedly batting either, like first bat POW. ;_;

(I also got crits and Cloudius was most unhappy)

That was a karma crit for having two medics on one heavy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

You know Demomen have sticky bombs right?

Soldier is the most well rounded yes.

Top Bottom