• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

Hey!

Woobie's got a new map!

It's called Tony's Theme! Ocean View!

And it's on the server!

You jerks should play it!

Hey!

Woobie's got a new map!

It's called Tony's Theme! Ocean View!

And it's on the server!

You jerks should play it!

Sounds nice, TF2 needs a beach/tropical theme map.

But I don't want to play now, is there a download for just the map? Or somewhere I can see it?

Blizzard

Banned
Sounds nice, TF2 needs a beach/tropical theme map.

But I don't want to play now, is there a download for just the map? Or somewhere I can see it?
I thought I've played a couple of tropical/beach maps actually. One was a payload map through a little French restaurant area. Another was a secret base with a submarine somewhere. Maybe a third.

I thought I've played a couple of tropical/beach maps actually. One was a payload map through a little French restaurant area. Another was a secret base with a submarine somewhere. Maybe a third.

Those sound great.

But I mean an official map so it gets more play, since I haven't seen any of those. But they sound good.

Blizzard

Banned
Those sound great.

But I mean an official map so it gets more play, since I haven't seen any of those. But they sound good.
I guess they are rare. This is the only tropical one I could find, and it's one of the ones I was thinking of: http://www.tfmaps.com/details.php?file=531

I don't remember the name of the other one...does anyone have a list of those payload contest competitor maps? I think it was in there, and is/was on the GAF server.

Yeef

I guess they are rare. This is the only tropical one I could find, and it's one of the ones I was thinking of: http://www.tfmaps.com/details.php?file=531

I don't remember the name of the other one...does anyone have a list of those payload contest competitor maps? I think it was in there, and is/was on the GAF server.
It's plr_highwind.

Come on! Why don't you guys know the names of every map ever on The Jank, like I do?

Slackers!

Blizzard

Banned
It's plr_highwind.

Come on! Why don't you guys know the names of every map ever on The Jank, like I do?

Slackers!
I'm not sure...I thought the one I remembered had a crosspoint where the carts crossed paths, and one or both carts went near a beach/ocean area in a loop at the start. And I'm still convinced there were little restaurant tables SOMEWHERE but the map ends so quickly and I can never find them so people just think I'm crazy. ;_;

I fixed the stats page for you.

4VRfY.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know how to locally host a server without crashing? I do create server, add a password to make sure no one connects, and load plr_atoll_b1, but as soon as I join blue team, it crashes. :S It also crashes if I don't join a team, but just fly around in spectate mode.

*edit* Also, I can start another PLR map. It's just that one that seems to crash with a shaderapi DLL problem. And the GAF server doesn't seem to have that map as a vote option, and no one else runs it. THIS IS SO DIFFICULT :(

Sianos

I think I'm going to make a koth map. I have a neat theme and layout planned, I just have to make it. Probably won't for a while considering my vacation is almost over, but I will some time.

Woobie's new map is neat, but scaled a bit too big. There's also a little too much open dead space and no cover on the point. It shows promise, and I like the ocean theme.

It'd be nice if Yeef could make the GAF Maps, Yeef's Picks, and UGC Highlander nominate categories come up for random votes. We have quite a few underplayed excellent maps on the server.

I think I'm going to make a koth map. I have a neat theme and layout planned, I just have to make it. Probably won't for a while considering my vacation is almost over, but I will some time.

Woobie's new map is neat, but scaled a bit too big. There's also a little too much open dead space and no cover on the point. It shows promise, and I like the ocean theme.

It'd be nice if Yeef could make the GAF Maps, Yeef's Picks, and UGC Highlander nominate categories come up for random votes. We have quite a few underplayed excellent maps on the server.

Make the entire map a no-build area for engineers. Mmmm yes, that will show those game ruining minis once and for all!

Sianos

Make the entire map a no-build area for engineers. Mmmm yes, that will show those game ruining minis once and for all!

That would be delicious. Shame there isn't a way to only restrict sentries, as far as I know.
I'll let them build sentries, but not design the map in a way that makes them overpowered.

I'm thinking of going with a missle silo disguised as an oil rig. There's opportunity for vertical variance, variance between open and closed areas, and a polluted ocean as a death pit on the edges.

I'm thinking the point in a tallish atrium in the middle, with scaffholding and some points for snipers to shoot through. A few buildings and stairs outside the main mid room, and then an open air ring with cover and an ocean to knock people into. Spawn rooms on the edges, two standard exits, a roof access, and a drop-down -> one way door escape into some underside tunnel. Maybe put a full health kit on a narrow walkway across open ocean, or barrels "floating" in damaging oil in the underside room. Hard to explain, I'll cook up a basic visual or something.

I'll probably put this off for a few months until I have more time, but one day it will be made and hopefully pretty neat. :U

Woobie

Shame there isn't a way to only restrict sentries, as far as I know.

trigger-> func_nobuild

I am sort of interested in trying to make a map, but I'm far to lazy to learn Hammer. What a predicament.

It's really easy to pick up the basics of hammer! There's probably only 10 unique concepts in the entire program. The hard part is making maps fun to play and making them run smoothly. Start practicing if you're interested in it, it can be a lot of fun if you need a place to dump some creativity!

trigger-> func_nobuild

It's really easy to pick up the basics of hammer! There's probably only 10 unique concepts in the entire program. The hard part is making maps fun to play and making them run smoothly. Start practicing if you're interested in it, it can be a lot of fun if you need a place to dump some creativity!

holy shit, Woobie!

Yeef

trigger-> func_nobuild
You misunderstood, Woobs. He's saying he wishes you could do building-specific nobuilds. i.e. you can't build sentries here, but you can build dispensers and teleporters.

Of course, that would be awful map design, so it's for the best that such an option doesn't exist.

[EDIT] Arena was meant to be "nominate only" but I must've accidentally set it to "always in vote" by accident at some point. Anyway, Arena is back to nominate-only and Yeef's Picks are now "always in vote."

Last call on any extras who want in on the Ready Steady Pan tourney, right now we have:

Rickenslacker
ExMachina
ZekeThePlumber
Snacks the sober sea lion
Blizzard
Woobie
NihonTiger90

It's a 6v6 format but backups are good.

Yeef

Variety Day!

Hooray for Variety \o/

I even enjoyed playing Frontier, one of the worst maps, (mainly because it ended quickly).

Collete

I'm not going to name who, but I got a PM in middle of TF2 GAF match that "Man you suck at TF2". I also got one afterwards as an invite with the person saying "you can be medic" as if to somehow redeem myself.
Yeah I'm not the best TF2 player, I'm not saying I am the best. But if you go through a hard day, you're obviously going to be stressed and not play well. Obviously, no one should be complaining how someone sucks or not in the first place.

Ocean View could use a size reduction on spawn area. Getting to the point seems tedious. Too spacious me thinks.

I'm not going to name who, but I got a PM in middle of TF2 GAF match that "Man you suck at TF2". I also got one afterwards as an invite with the person saying "you can be medic" as if to somehow redeem myself.
Yeah I'm not the best TF2 player, I'm not saying I am the best. But if you go through a hard day, you're obviously going to be stressed and not play well. Obviously, no one should be complaining how someone sucks or not in the first place.

:(

I think I know who.

I call this one "Cloudius has a sticky launcher for a head."

I've moved into more abstract work.

I didn't know what you were talking about when you said that in chat. I will collect royalty later.

Also gameme broke when server restarted.

Yeef

Ignore the haters. If it really becomes a problem, let me know and I'll take care of it.

Also gameme broke when server restarted.
I disabled the server plugin, because I realized something that I'd forgotten: the server plugin doesn't do anything but spam. Stats are tracked via logs, not the plugin.

Here's what you do...forgive them, move on, obviously this person is a fool. Just focus on you, cause that's all you can control.

Then you wait a few weeks till they drop their guard, send word and I'll break their knee-caps...

Collete

I think I know who.

Ignore the haters. If it really becomes a problem, let me know and I'll take care of it.

Thanks yeef, I'll keep that in mind.

Here's what you do...forgive them, move on, obviously this person is a fool. Just focus on you, cause that's all you can control.

Then you wait a few weeks till they drop their guard, send word and I'll break their knee-caps...

I do try to improve myself at TF2, it's a work in progress.
I mean I got a PC a few weeks ago that allowed me smooth gameplay and I became pretty decent. (Although now that same PC is freezing constantly that I had to send it in for repairs, so now I'm on one of my family member's PC playing somewhat mediocre. )

Thanks but you might get arrested D:

This is strangely comforting on a dreary morning. Not sure why.

Bauhaus

Banned

I do it all the time and you are the first one to take it seriously

Top Bottom