• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

For those of you that don't understand the Superbowl...

i-vLP9ZMK-950x10000.jpg

Bluth54

He must be abusing autoaim too! :O

Then again, I hardly get to aim with the Bazooka, so I suppose I'm not one to talk.

Don't be hating on my Valve sanctioned, low cost aimbot.

Though half the reason I use mini sentries is because it's fun to hear people whine about them. The other half is because it's way more fun then a normal sentry gun.

What is the best way to play Engi? I tried last night on GAF, but I could barely get a level 2 teleporter and a level 2 sentry before everything got blown up. And from then on it was a cycle of getting a level 1 sentry, it gets blown up, spawn changes so I have to make a new teleporter, everything gets blown up and I die.

Well, one way to play is to put a Level 1 sentry somewhere where it'd be rather annoying for attackers to counteract, and while their focus is turned toward that, spring out from a different angle and get them from behind.

Easier with mini-sentries, though.

Yeef

Engineers are all about area denial. Make sure you're putting your sentries in places where they can't be attacked from outside of their line of sight. Also, don't be afraid to use your shotgun (and pistol) to take out potential sentry destroying peoples. Lastly, set up your dispenser and exit just behind the front lines. Engineers, more than any other class, need help from their team to cover their weaknesses. When your dispenser is nearby, people are likely to fall back to it for healing, so even if your teammates aren't smart enough to know to help protect your nest, they'll end up doing so inadvertently by simply being in the right place at the right time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What is the best way to play Engi? I tried last night on GAF, but I could barely get a level 2 teleporter and a level 2 sentry before everything got blown up. And from then on it was a cycle of getting a level 1 sentry, it gets blown up, spawn changes so I have to make a new teleporter, everything gets blown up and I die.
Easy.
1. Don't be stupid
2. Whine about your team being bad spy checkers
3. Rage
4. Give up and go offensive engine for lulz

DogWelder

I'd tell you not to play engie because its a boring, gloryless class, but GAF could use some more engineers (of the non-mini variety).

Yeef

I notice you've conveniently cropped out the "time played" statistic, where snacks has less than half your current playtime.

Congratulations on being almost half as good as snacks! \o/

Yeef

(Not sure why it made myself disappear but go figure.)
It's a bug that's been happening with replays for a while now. Surprised it hasn't been fixed yet [unless it's a bug with a plugin on the Jank and not TF2 itself; in that case, I am not surprised tha tit has yet to be fixed).

Yeef

In my quest to find another server with replays, I stumbled upon a server that's 24/7 hightower, 32 player, instant respawn, has mini's disabled and has removed the carts from play (and for some reason seemed to have extra bloom). It's like GAF's heaven and hell wrapped up into one package.

Zeke joined me. I don't know if we'll ever see him again.

(Also, the Jank is not to blame for the replay issues)

Bluth54

When I first started playing TF2 I was playing on 32 player instant respawn servers.

I'm honestly surprised I still play TF2 after that experience.

thefro

Engy's so different that you probably should play the class on a pub server and get the basics down before you jump in to the deep water on the GAF.

If you're running the normal wrench, you need to know how to identify good spots on a map to build in. The best spots for a level 3 both cover a lot of area but also don't have spots just outside their range where a solider or sniper can pick them off. Also you don't want to build in a spot where someone can just peek the corner (shooting then ducking behind a wall to avoid the sentry fire) or a demoman can easily lob stickies up and hit the sentry. Then you have to spycheck on top of that.

When you're building your nest, you want your dispenser and teleporter and sentry to be close together, but far enough away that a couple stickies can't hit more than one building at once. If you can't keep anything up, switch to gunslinger and drop minis

Running gunslinger you want to drop a mini-sentry, and then get in a position where the enemy has to choose between shooting you and the sentry (you're flanking them). Don't try to repair the mini-sentry, it's cheap to build. Basically think of yourself like a slower, weaker Scout. Remember you can still build your support buildings for your teammates although you'll want to hide them somewhere a little less obvious since there's no sentry to protect them.

Generally how I like to play is:
- Normal (Payload defense, defending last point on 5 CP, defending on Attack/Defend CP maps, CTF)
- Gunslinger (Payload offense, KOTH, attacking on attack/defend CP, most of control point maps)

There's some exceptions. Also setting keybinds so that you can press one key to build a building and then hit the key again to blow it up is very useful.

Badwater on a pub server is a pretty good map to play to get the basics down, since you'll probably know where most people generally build sentries at. Watch some videos on youtube of good players too, or the basic tip videos people make.

In actual news, y'all heard about the Linux Tux tf2 item right?

You have to install linux and run tf2 through it by the 20th of this month to get it. Considering how valuable the earbuds are it's might be worth your time. I'll be doing it at least.

Engineer is easy.

-Widowmaker
-Pistol
-Gunslinger

Don't build mini sentries, because it wastes your ammo, also known as "Quintessence." Run around erratically, sometimes diagonally towards the other team, and hold down Mouse1 when you get within 10 feet. Continue shooting until everyone is dead. If someone backs into a corner, switch to Gunslinger and punch them. This is scientifically-proven to be the most efficient and enjoyable way to play Engineer while still resigning yourself to playing Engineer.

Blizzard

Banned

You have to install linux and run tf2 through it by the 20th of this month to get it. Considering how valuable the earbuds are it's might be worth your time. I'll be doing it at least.
I'm a fan of Linux, though I don't have an install ready to go. I'll have to look into it!

Yeef

You could probably just use a linux live CD so you don't have to go through the hassle of actually installing it.

And by CD, I mean "flash drive." What the hell is a CD?

Clydefrog

what is the linux item? a penguin?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, guess it's time to start the stupidly long download of TF2 on my FTL machine netbook and then run it once in text mode. :p

Also, anyone on Foxhound wanna give us an update on how their Croissant match went?

Prodigal

Banned
Weird question, but is there a way to convert a F2Per to a paid member without having the game installed? Or does it HAVE to be a purchase directly from the in-game store to do it?

Proven

Weird question, but is there a way to convert a F2Per to a paid member without having the game installed? Or does it HAVE to be a purchase directly from the in-game store to do it?

Is there a way to purchase without using the in-game store? Keys or something?

Top Bottom