• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Sianos

The server has been filling on weekends, I think its just an issue of people being busy with work.

Picking more popular maps on lesser populated days would help as well.

Woobie

Server does need some help populating and as snacks and ViewtifulJC pointed out people are tired of some of the maps that we always play.
I hear people saying they're tired of hightower, gorge, harvest, barnblitz, and a plethora of other maps so what do we do about it? Instead of becoming bored with the game as a whole and quitting like a portion of the old regulars have, people should send yeef a copy of a good custom map that they have played if they are tired of the current maps! That way it would at least be an option to play.

Getting votes for it is another story, brazillians may always sway the vote towards high tower or other less exciting maps but I'm always up for new maps and I know a lot of other regulars feel the same way.

I think the server already has a huge selection of rarely played maps that can be very fun(although some are very outdated). Cashworks, swiftwater(might crash the server), process(super old), and some of the dynamic payload maps were good! People usually judge maps as being bad because they aren't familiar with the layout or the health pack locations - learning something new can be frustrating but even valve maps can be like that when you first play them.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Sorry for the essay - here's a chicken riding a kitten to make up for it.
kitten_and_chick.jpeg

Valve needs to optimize the game.

It's constantly either running smooth or like utter crap.
When I have Firefox memory leaking in the background it can cause some funny stuff. I think we were going to play pl_badwater at one point and it was loading the map for so long that you guys had voted on steel in the meantime and I missed out on entering the map entirely.

But mostly it causes for the stuttering that ends up causing impromptu player invisibility.

Bluth54

Why isn't the demoman the knight? Huge mistake, I don't know how they didn't catch that. Hopefully they will before the final version comes out.

Server does need some help populating and as snacks and ViewtifulJC pointed out people are tired of some of the maps that we always play.
I hear people saying they're tired of hightower, gorge, harvest, barnblitz, and a plethora of other maps so what do we do about it? Instead of becoming bored with the game as a whole and quitting like a portion of the old regulars have, people should send yeef a copy of a good custom map that they have played if they are tired of the current maps! That way it would at least be an option to play.

Getting votes for it is another story, brazillians may always sway the vote towards high tower or other less exciting maps but I'm always up for new maps and I know a lot of other regulars feel the same way.

I think the server already has a huge selection of rarely played maps that can be very fun(although some are very outdated). Cashworks, swiftwater(might crash the server), process(super old), and some of the dynamic payload maps were good! People usually judge maps as being bad because they aren't familiar with the layout or the health pack locations - learning something new can be frustrating but even valve maps can be like that when you first play them.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Yeah I would love to play some more custom maps. I think part of the reason people don't vote for custom maps too much on the GAF server is because there are way too many. If we only have a couple per game mode I would imagine they would get played more.

Heck I enjoy going on other servers and playing maps like Dustbowl, Goldrush and Hoodoo sometimes. They aren't great maps but we very rarely play them and I like some variety sometimes.

Yeef

I think the tops are interchangeable so you can mix-and-match.
This is correct.

Also, supposedly, whenever one piece knocks out another, you can steal the destroyed pieces hat, thereby changing your class on the fly.

Also, I hope they add all hats to the actual game so we can all run around like it's through the looking glass.

Heck I enjoy going on other servers and playing maps like Dustbowl, Goldrush and Hoodoo sometimes. They aren't great maps but we very rarely play them and I like some variety sometimes.

Funny that you mention "variety" in the same post as Dustbowl, Goldrush, and Hoodoo, because variety is something those maps lack entirely.

Proven

That reminds me, I never did get to play any of custom King of the Hill maps from STAR's contest a few months ago.
This is correct.

Also, supposedly, whenever one piece knocks out another, you can steal the destroyed pieces hat, thereby changing your class on the fly.

Also, I hope they add all hats to the actual game so we can all run around like it's through the looking glass.
Those are cool, but I haven't bought a physical chess set since I was a kid...

Collete

As regards of bringing people in, why don't we start the bi-weekly highlander matches that we used to host a year or so back?
It always brought the community together from what I see.

(On another note, I can't see any sprays in TF2 and have toggled the option to see the sprays but they still don't show up...anyone can help?)

Sianos

There are lots of great custom maps and less played maps that are excellent. The koth contest is a great source of simple and enjoyable maps, along with other classic comp maps.

Let's make a push to try new maps and reenergize the game.

I like the idea of intrajank Highlander matches, they'd be fun and serve as practice runs for ugc maps before we do our scrims.

Sianos

As regards of bringing people in, why don't we start the bi-weekly highlander matches that we used to host a year or so back?

(On another note, I can't see any sprays in TF2 and have toggled the option to see the sprays but they still don't show up...anyone can help?)
Chris configuration has an option to enable sprays, try pasting that in the autoexec.

Yeef

SERVER STUFF
  • Added a plugin that plays the engineer's guitar twang when you get an airshot (or air headshot) just because. It's subtle and low enough that it shouldn't be obnoxious.
  • Reduced Hightower's time limit by 5 minutes and added a plugin that ends the map instantly when it goes to time.
  • Added an AFK Manager plugin. People who are AFK for 60 seconds will automatically be moved to spectator.
  • Increased the number of maps that have to be played before replaying a map from 7 to 9.
  • Compressed TC & Arena into a single map group and moved it further down on the list.
  • Added a 'New' Maps group for new maps. One will always show up in the vote.
  • Added new maps:
    • Stoney Ridge (A/D)
    • Nerve (KOTH)
    • Ferrum (A/D)
    • Arctic (KOTH)
    • Rail Bridge (KOTH)
  • Updated Process.
  • Updated Croissant.
  • Cleaned out some old maps that we'd never play again anyway.
  • Experiments!
    • On Tuesdays, each class will be limited to 2.
    • On Thursdays, map voting will be disabled. The rotation is set up like this:
      • Tier 1 Map (your high towers and badwaters and other popular maps on the server)
      • Tier 2 Map (your less popular, but still liked maps)
      • Tier 1 Map
      • Tier 2 Map
      • Miscellaneous Map (Mostly custom maps, but I also threw degroot and Thunder Mountain in there).
      • [Back to start at first Tier 1]
    • These experiments will go on for at least 3 weeks. They may be extended or cut afterward depending on response.

I need to fix (or likely replace) the openID implementation and also do lots of other stuff for the website. Unfortunately, I work full time and generally am a lazy procrastinator when I'm home.

Collete

Chris configuration has an option to enable sprays, try pasting that in the autoexec.

Can you give a link?
I tried putting some stuff in the file but it didn't do much.

[*]Cleaned out some old maps that we'd never play again anyway.

Please don't tell me you took out Mann Manor D:

I need to fix (or likely replace) the openID implementation and also do lots of other stuff for the website. Unfortunately, I work full time and generally am a lazy procrastinator when I'm home.

Think of fixing the website as volunteer work!
You can apply this on your resume later.

Proven

Also, I need to actually open TF2. I haven't touched it seriously since I got this new computer, which I also set up with a really really really big monitor that makes things weird.

I can honestly see why so many games come out with a limited FOV, if all of the tests they do with low level players come test with monitors that are near twice the size of what they usually play with...

Or I need to sit farther away from the screen.

Sianos

New map day! (And Hightower too)

They all seem pretty fun, a nice break from the usual maps. Glad to see us branching out more.

Stony Ridge second point has loads of fun detonator jumps and feels like an improved version of Gorge. Plus, it has a pit to fall into, which is always fun.

Sianos

NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN SO WRONG IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE
I actually enjoy it, its neat to have a little machina style sound to reward airshots. Too bad I'll never get any with the Bazooka.

However, it'd be nice to have an option to turn it off for those who disagree.

Yeef

The problem with it is that is counts for anyone that's in the air, even if they're just jumping. Also, it doesn't even have to be a direct hit. I'll look at the source code and see if I can edit it to only fire on direct hits at least. If not, I'll probably disable it.

Also:

The problem with it is that is counts for anyone that's in the air, even if they're just jumping. Also, it doesn't even have to be a direct hit. I'll look at the source code and see if I can edit it to only fire on direct hits at least. If not, I'll probably disable it.

Also:

Dat Sexiness.

Yeef

I thought you removed Dustbowl?

Admittedly it's been like half a year since I've been on the Jank, but still, I distinctly remember this.

Granted, Steel is better anyway, but...
It's still on the server; it's just not able to be nominated and doesn't come up in votes. An admin has to manually switch to it.

Bluth54

SERVER STUFF

I must say I like those changes. Especially the Hightower change.

Funny that you mention "variety" in the same post as Dustbowl, Goldrush, and Hoodoo, because variety is something those maps lack entirely.

Very true (especially Dustbowl/Goldrush since they are basically the same map) but I just like playing something different sometimes.

New map day! (And Hightower too)

They all seem pretty fun, a nice break from the usual maps. Glad to see us branching out more.

Stony Ridge second point has loads of fun detonator jumps and feels like an improved version of Gorge. Plus, it has a pit to fall into, which is always fun.

Glad to hear Stonyridge was fun, hopefully we'll play it again this weekend when I can play.

mmmmmm yeah

stop sharing those, they were only meant for you

Also:

crimson where do you live so I can punch you in the spine pls and thank you

also hightower is great and so is barnblitz and so is a lot of things you guys are just sassy nitpickers and you need to calm them pants down munchkins

Update:
We've released mandatory updates for Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat: Source, and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. The notes for the updates are below.

-Eric

------------------------------

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2M)
- Fixed a client crash related to the audio system
- Updated controller support for the Linux version

Team Fortress 2
- Added new Linux promo item
- Added new ETF2L, ESH, and UGC tournament medals
- Added new multicolored-lights style to the Festive Stickybomb Launcher
- Fixed Botkiller Medigun, Botkiller Flamethrower, Stickybomb Launcher, and Half-Zatoichi using the wrong Red team arms skin while on the Blue team
- Fixed a client crash related to the HUD control point maps
- Fixed "Low-Health Kills" strange part also counting kills after the player had died
- Fixed "Buildings Sapped" strange counter sometimes incrementing when buildings were destroyed without a sapper attached
- Fixed a teamkill exploit that used the Crusader's Crossbow
- Fixed not being able to view different styles while previewing items in the Mann Co. Store
- Fixed the paintability of the Mann Co. Cap and the Mann Co. Online Cap
- Increased the particle limit
- Updated The Map Maker's Medallion to be paintable
- Updated the Engineer's Cap so the Red team version displays the correct color when paint is applied
- Updated Mvm_Bigrock to fix a server crash when all players are dead
- Updated several backpack images to fix issues caused by mat_picmip
- Updated the localization files

It seems like the Tux straps around the belt, and doesn't float or go on the shoulder. It seems to have a Pyro and Demo style too.

22CWx

Top Bottom