• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Sparse

oqvKg0q.jpg
The riff's either love it (you) or hate it (the server).

Blizzard

Banned
Neither the hair nor the guitar action worked (the hair was invisible and the action did nothing) on the one server I tried it on. I guess I gave up out of despair. =(

Yeef

Disappointingly, the guitar taunt seems to override the boombox. I was hoping I could create some crazy "Walk This Way" style collaboration between the two.

Collete

Heck yeah!

After 9 damn hours of reinstalling ubuntu some 5-6 times, TF2 3 times, I FINALLY got my damn penguin.
...That said I feel the excitement of getting the penguin shortly vanished....Now I gotta dream about a new TF2 item.

Heck yeah!

After 9 damn hours of reinstalling ubuntu some 5-6 times, TF2 3 times, I FINALLY got my damn penguin.
...That said I feel the excitement of getting the penguin shortly vanished....Now I gotta dream about a new TF2 item.

I dream of the day demo gets bagpipes that make sounds when you taunt. Noises will be made and ears shall bleed.

Collete

I dream of the day demo gets bagpipes that make sounds when you taunt. Noises will be made and ears shall bleed.

Mostly because I doubt the demo can play the bagpipes and can probably cause instant death within a given diameter.
But that'd be a nice taunt however (won't match my "gambler" demo but still matching the whole king of Scotland look).

Javaman

Woohoo, finally got the tux. I figured it wouldn't go through since TF2 never launched (error-ed out due to missing video drivers) but thankfully it worked. If any of the regulars want the tux and you trust me with your account for a couple of minutes (just change your password afterward!) I can hook you up.

Woohoo, finally got the tux. I figured it wouldn't go through since TF2 never launched (error-ed out due to missing video drivers) but thankfully it worked. If any of the regulars want the tux and you trust me with your account for a couple of minutes (just change your password afterward!) I can hook you up.

I will be running a similar service. Be sure to load your backpack with unusual hats as I find it helps me concentrate and will make my method work waaaay faster than Javaman.

Javaman

I will be running a similar service. Be sure to load your backpack with unusual hats as I find it helps me concentrate and will make my method work waaaay faster than Javaman.
Oh crap, I didn't even think about the risk to items. Definitely would take a lot of trust, but the offer still stands.

Javaman

Those boobs are defying the laws of physics.

Here's the interface FYI,
bsrlPBS.jpg

Looks like there's an item history on the inventory page so it's easy to verify that no funny business is taking place.

I'll be back around 8 or 9ish if anyone else wants to give it a go.

Collete

How big of a file size is TF2 nowadays? Don't feel like wasting time downloading 10+ GBs for a fucking Penguin.

Just whatever you do, don't set the partition 18 GB.
TF2 wouldn't even launch after I installed TF2 for nth amount of time because of low disk space.
The next time I installed ubuntu again, I just put 30 GB to not even take a chance and it worked. (Of course TF2 crashed but I still got the Tux!)

Javaman

Ehhh. I think I'm done. That's 2 people in a row that left steam guard on and don't reply to their GAF PMs. This is more hassle than it's worth. I can't do this without the steamguard password.

Ehhh. I think I'm done. That's 2 people in a row that left steam guard on and don't reply to their GAF PMs. This is more hassle than it's worth. I can't do this without the steamguard password.

it is not even that hard to get anyways if you put the work to get linux running is some form or another.

Sorry Java, I had to step away for a bit I forwarded the code to you, but if you're burnt out... I understand, you're still the Man!

Blizzard

Banned
A 20GB partition was big enough for Ubuntu + Steam + TF2, all of which was promptly deleted from my SSD once Tux was in my backpack.
I think I had to keep increasing it up to 23GB since around 20GB wasn't quite enough for Linux Mint using VirtualBox, so 24GB or so is probably safest.

Javaman

I think I had to keep increasing it up to 23GB since around 20GB wasn't quite enough for Linux Mint using VirtualBox, so 24GB or so is probably safest.

I went with 40gigs and hadn't had any troubles. IIRC VMware player dynamically increases it as needed. The biggest thing that took forever was redownloading TF2. I found the option after downloading most of it that'll let you access your HD from within the VMplayer but at that point it wasn't worth bothering. Definitely would have saved a couple of hours of downloading.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got Tux, was a pain in the ass to get VM Virtual box to play nice with Ubuntu but did it. Now I can delete the damn thing and wait until I have a PC worth a damn to play TF2 on. D:

You guys ever fall in a weird k-hole at 1am and go check the prices of keys on the market and then when you come to the next morning you go "Oh god what have I done, where did these strange Wrap Assassins come from?"

On a completely unrelated note I have strange Wrap Assassins to sell.

Yeef

Why don't you take donations though, Yeef?
(Forgive my ignorance in advance.)
For one, it's too much hassle.

For two, apparently the original GAF server, back when TF2 was a new thing, had a guy running it that took donations and ended up pocketing a bunch of the money after the server closed down.

For three, the server doesn't really cost much at all (I think it's like $18 a month). The time commitment is a bigger issue than the financial side of things.

The mailing list has been talking about this for the last couple of days. Apparently, other games that use SteamPipe have had exploits to get around sv_pure for ages that have never been fixed, so there's a chance once the change over happens that tons of cheaters will come out of the woodwork.
Sounds like tons of fun. I actually haven't seen a vac ban in years now that I think about it. Is it even a thing anymore?

Collete

For two, apparently the original GAF server, back when TF2 was a new thing, had a guy running it that took donations and ended up pocketing a bunch of the money after the server closed down.

For three, the server doesn't really cost much at all (I think it's like $18 a month). The time commitment is a bigger issue than the financial side of things.

Ick, that explains a lot then. =\

Is $18 dollars cheap in terms of running a server? I didn't know people paid that much for a server though, damn.
You do deserve that game then! Just whatever you do, don't hoard it!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

He also ran scams on Pokemon or Yugioh cards.

For one, it's too much hassle.

If people are insistent on giving Cash. I will happily pocket that money. It's not an ideal situation but I will nobly accept that position....Because, I care.

Yeef

Ick, that explains a lot then. =\

Is $18 dollars cheap in terms of running a server? I didn't know people paid that much for a server though, damn.
You do deserve that game then! Just whatever you do, don't hoard it!
$18 is relatively cheap. Most server hosts, with similar setups, cost around $25~$35 a month.

Yeef

Fletcher just posted a bunch of things on the mailing list about SteamPipe.

Does the game being packed in VPK files affect pure_server_whitelist.txt in any way?

That's one of the known issues. We're still sorting through exactly how pure servers will work. The current behavior works like CS:GO's pure servers, and is based on MD5 hashes of the VPK's. However, if a client uses a custom VPK, the server currently won't know how to validate those files, and the client will get kicked. We'll have this problem sorted before we release any game.

I cannot say for sure exactly how the new system will work, but it will probably be very similar, but maybe with a few cosmetic changes like the exact syntax of the file and where it is in the directory structure. But the general answer to the question is that we will support some ability for the server to say, "These files must match the files on the server, and these other files are allowed to differ from the server."

Does this mean we can finally not have HL2 + EP1 + EP2 installed just to play TF2? :D

HL2, yes. EP1 and EP2 don't ship with TF2. Why HL2? There are so many custom maps in existence that use all of that old content, we made the decision to continue to ship it, even though it's big and not used by any official maps. It's just packaged directly with TF2 now (in the hl2 directory). The alternative would be to either break a bunch of existing functionality, or add a lot of extra complexity of download time when connecting to a server running a map that is using what used to be "standard' content. We just decided a one-time download (only one time because that content almost never changes) was better than removing existing functionality from customers who play on maps that use those assets.

Fletcher,

Considering HUD mods can now be distributed in VPKs, is the Workshop going to have a method for distributing HUD mods? Last I checked TF2 was the only source game which made the resources available and modifyable to have HUD mods, but I've maintained one for quite some time, so have other people, I'm sure easier distribution would be welcomed. Also, some may criticize this, but is there any possibility of monetization of such things? If no monetary gate-keeping than perhaps support for donations? Also, any guards against malicious methods within HUD mods?

This change doesn't include any workshop integration, but it's definitely something we want to do. These filesystem changes lay some groundwork to make the workshop stuff possible.

Fletcher is there a set date for this conversion? Is there going to be any overlap period? I didn't see those answers in the FAQ.

The first thing to do is identify as many bugs as possible using the TF beta.

sv_pure needs to be fixed.

Then we will probably roll out Day of Defeat or HL2:MP and confirm the auto conversion works as well as we expect, so we don't have a huge number of people all downloading a full 10GB at the same time.

We're planning on releasing TF last.

I suppose the timeline is around 2-4 weeks before TF is released? (Please don't hold me on that --- it depends on what bugs we find in the TF beta!)

We'll keep the users of each game well informed. We also now have the ability to release the server before the client, and we will definitely take advantage of that, probably releasing the server 1-2 days in advance of the switchover, so server operators have plenty of time to get setup. (Especially since they will have a full download, whereas clients should be able to take advantage of existing assets on disk.)

I'm also interested in this and will i have to move custom maps on the server to tf/download/ so they work or does the server accept them from same old location as before?

Will the workshop for maps come to tf2 too? What about it vs sv_downloadurl, compatibility wise?

Fastdownload *should* work just fine.

I would not recommend placing any files in the tf/download folder. Really, that directory is intended to be where the host (either the server or the client) places files that it *receives* from remote hosts. Probably on gameservers, the only thing that will ever go in that directory will be user sprays.

Re: Where to put custom maps and assets. Putting them directly in the tf/maps folder should still work, but it sort of negates some of the advantage of the new search path flexibility, and I don't think it's the recommended thing to do. You might have noticed that under SteamPipe, we've choosen to ship all the .bsp files loose on disk, rather than inside a VPK. (There is no advantage in putting them in VPK, they are already basically big package files themselves.) So if you put custom maps directly in tf/maps, they will be all mixed up with the standard maps. (Similar comments apply to any sort of custom asset. It's best to avoid mixing them up with the official game assets.) Probably most in line with the intentions of the new filesystem changes would be to make one or more new directories for all custom server stuff. You could put them in VPK if you are not using the fast download server. But fast download server needs them loose on disk.

I would recommend making a directory like

[server_root]/tf/addons/custom_maps/

And then put custom maps and models in there:

[server_root]/tf/addons/custom_maps/maps/
[server_root]/tf/addons/custom_maps/models/

If you want to just put all the custom plugin stuff in a single directory (which is probably recommended so you don't add a whole bunch of local search paths at the front), then maybe "custom_maps" is not the best name. It's just a name.

Does that solution seem acceptable? I *think* it should work with the fast download server, but I actually haven't tested that combination. If it doesn't, let me know, and I will make it work.

I've also considered adding functionality for clients to download VPK's from gameservers, as opposed to individual files. Then the VPK would be mounted as a map search path. This has the added benefit that it allows custom map assets to override shipping assets. (Something which is no longer possible, since the tf/download folder, where the client will place downloaded files, is the LAST search path --- this is for security reasons.) It would also mean revving the custom assets would be simpler. If there is interest in this functionality, let me know, I could look into it.

I encourage all server operators to read tf/gameinfo.txt, and tf/addons/readme.txt. The exact operation of the filesystem search paths is explained.

Top Bottom