• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

32 player servers? Why would you do that to yourself man?

because I play pc games to play custom games and mods, if i wanted some lackluster handjob vanilla shit id just buy the orange box on my 360/ps3, seriously 24 player goldrush is just....boring.

then again i preferred unreal tournament to quake 3 back in the 90s

I guess valve doesn't put quickplays to 32 player servers, which is why most of the 32 players are gone. Why they would want the kind of person who chooses quickplay in their servers is lost on me but whatever.

Yeef

I guess valve doesn't put quickplays to 32 player servers, which is why most of the 32 players are gone. Why they would want the kind of person who chooses quickplay in their servers is lost on me but whatever.
32 player servers are eligible for quickplay, but there's a scoring penalty for running more than 24 players. The higher above, the bigger the penalty. 32 player server are also probably rated poorly, so you're super unlikely to be matched to one.

The way quickplay works, basically, whenever a player joins your server you lose 15 points. Then for each minute they stay, you gain a point (up to a limit). So if lots of people are joining and playing for less than 15 minutes it hurts your rating, which, in turn, makes people less likely to be matched to your server.

ugh its so awful, 10 v 10 12 v 12 ugh....

now the 6 or so useless scrubs that would filter out to sniper or some other useless class is taking valuable player slots so im the only medic and we have no engie on offense...

oh well I had 5000 hours played of tf2, guess its just time to move on. oh wait they no longer make the fps games I like, well I guess the genre had a good run for me.

unreal tournament 99, desert combat, natural selection, team fortress 2

I guess I could finally play through planescape torment or something...

It's weird to me that someone would want their TF2 experience to be solely comprised of spamming down corridors, but hey if that's what TF2 is for you power to ya.

They made a second natural selection...

I know i bought it back when it was basically a glorified map viewer, ive played the final version and its ok, but the magic is gone, and for the life of me at launch it felt like there was 150 ms of input lag during firefights, it felt bad, like killzone 2 bad, maybe they have improved it since, but the gametype (combat) and the servers I played it on (g4b2s, 187combat, badclan, nsarmslab) are all dead.

It's weird to me that someone would want their TF2 experience to be solely comprised of spamming down corridors, but hey if that's what TF2 is for you power to ya.

I like the assault / defense of payload, it reminds me of the old assault gametype in ut 99, Ive played 2fort and all the other vanilla maps and they were ok (back then it was just amazing to "PLAY TF2", "WOW TF2 is actually real!!!"), when the payload gametype hit I loved it, and I feel goldrush was the best payload map (it was thee payload map the gametype launched with so probably had the most time put into it) badwater, and hightower (badwater especially) are just bad, too big, over developed, etc..

I'm just pissy because I enjoy spammy arena shooters, 32 player tf2 maps were that, now they are dying off, and there are no games like that made anymore, I don't care about filling bars in some 8v8 snooze inducing realistic modern warfare brofest. Honestly the only slower paced shooter I enjoyed was the goldsrc version of Day of Defeat.

*sigh*

everything is terrible...

Collete

From the "pictures that make you laugh" thread:

cQSHe8f.gif

Some day, I'm going to do this to dog. Some day...

I like the assault / defense of payload, it reminds me of the old assault gametype in ut 99, Ive played 2fort and all the other vanilla maps and they were ok (back then it was just amazing to "PLAY TF2", "WOW TF2 is actually real!!!"), when the payload gametype hit I loved it, and I feel goldrush was the best payload map (it was thee payload map the gametype launched with so probably had the most time put into it) badwater, and hightower (badwater especially) are just bad, too big, over developed, etc..

I'm just pissy because I enjoy spammy arena shooters, 32 player tf2 maps were that, now they are dying off, and there are no games like that made anymore, I don't care about filling bars in some 8v8 snooze inducing realistic modern warfare brofest. Honestly the only slower paced shooter I enjoyed was the goldsrc version of Day of Defeat.

*sigh*

everything is terrible...

Badwater is what a single-stage payload map should be. You must not play much scout or spy, because goldrush does everything it can to invalidate those classes. They don't make maps like goldrush anymore because they realized they were mindless, repetitive, unbalanced, spamtacular garbage that completely ruined the idea of having 9 classes that all have their own use. Badwater was a big deal when it came out. It was the first non-5cp/ non-gravelpit map that was not made specifically to screw over spies. It's not "too big" or "overdeveloped" (what does that even mean?), you're just refusing to figure out TF2.

And TF2 isn't a spammy arena shooter. If you think 32-player goldrush is in any way an acceptable substitute for Quake 3, then I don't know what Quake 3 you were playing. You don't even seem to be giving TF2 a chance. The game is far more nuanced than you apparently believe. Valve didn't put a 24 player cap just so you couldn't have 32 player games, they put a 24 player cap because any more than that is garbage. The game is specifically made to work best with 12-24 players. Any more than that and the balance of the classes is gone. Demoman becomes blatantly superior to soldier, snipers never run out of targets and are a constant presence, spies can't do anything, scouts die instantly, sentries are untouchable due to the massive wave of players in front of them, and so on. It's just crap, and it's not what TF2 is supposed to be. I'm not saying Valve knows best, because we've seen in the past 2 years that they barely know anything regarding balance anymore. But they certainly know better than the 32-player instant respawn servers.

It would be like playing 50 player Unreal Tournament (on indoor, non-vehicle maps) where the rocket launcher's primary fire shoots 4 rockets, the Shock Rifle just fires a stream of shock combos, and the sniper is always a one-hit kill. Is it amusing? Sure, for a while. But is there anything to it? Will you learn anything about the game or become better at the game by playing this way? Not even close.

Proven

I honestly don't like Skullgirls. I'm not the biggest fan of most fighting games and then something about it doesn't feel right to me.

But the developers are in love with quality, and I rooted for the game's initial release. Threw down $30 for a hat that I will probably find disgusting and a game that I have a number of friends that would accept it as a birthday surprise.

Also, I read through this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515688

I popped into this thread because I was curious about how this floats in the TF2 Hat-conomy. I'll be giving mine away to my brother who is a well-embroiled hat-dealer. How much would this go for?

On the sidebar it says a limit of 5000, so in tf2 promo items scarcity, I'd say that's pretty rare.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I chipped in too... I'm terrible at team-based fighting games (though fighting games in general remain my favorite competitive genre), but have been following o_8's art and Mike Z for a while. So I'll happily take any opportunity to support the fine folks at Lab Zero. :3

And it's not just $30 for a TF2 hat, you do get a fighting game with it. :p If any other people from TF2-GAF end up with SG and are just as bad at team FGs as me, we should play!

Badwater is what a single-stage payload map should be. You must not play much scout or spy, because goldrush does everything it can to invalidate those classes. They don't make maps like goldrush anymore because they realized they were mindless, repetitive, unbalanced, spamtacular garbage that completely ruined the idea of having 9 classes that all have their own use. Badwater was a big deal when it came out. It was the first non-5cp/ non-gravelpit map that was not made specifically to screw over spies. It's not "too big" or "overdeveloped" (what does that even mean?), you're just refusing to figure out TF2.

And TF2 isn't a spammy arena shooter. If you think 32-player goldrush is in any way an acceptable substitute for Quake 3, then I don't know what Quake 3 you were playing. You don't even seem to be giving TF2 a chance. The game is far more nuanced than you apparently believe. Valve didn't put a 24 player cap just so you couldn't have 32 player games, they put a 24 player cap because any more than that is garbage. The game is specifically made to work best with 12-24 players. Any more than that and the balance of the classes is gone. Demoman becomes blatantly superior to soldier, snipers never run out of targets and are a constant presence, spies can't do anything, scouts die instantly, sentries are untouchable due to the massive wave of players in front of them, and so on. It's just crap, and it's not what TF2 is supposed to be. I'm not saying Valve knows best, because we've seen in the past 2 years that they barely know anything regarding balance anymore. But they certainly know better than the 32-player instant respawn servers.

It would be like playing 50 player Unreal Tournament (on indoor, non-vehicle maps) where the rocket launcher's primary fire shoots 4 rockets, the Shock Rifle just fires a stream of shock combos, and the sniper is always a one-hit kill. Is it amusing? Sure, for a while. But is there anything to it? Will you learn anything about the game or become better at the game by playing this way? Not even close.

Thats the thing I prefer spammy shooters, I preferred UT to quake 3 back in the day, I preffered 64 player, 1000 tickets, insta respawn metro servers in bf3. I like my fps bad spammy and retarded :D

As for goldrush, I rarely played spy, and when I played scout it was to harras spawn teles mostly. I'd say my most played classes are engie, medic, pyro, and then demo.

I am a fan of chokepoints, both on O and D, I guess why I dislike badwaters design. Oh well I have over 5000 hours playtime (in goldrush alone) so I think I got my 50 bucks out of the orange box.

I chipped in too... I'm terrible at team-based fighting games (though fighting games in general remain my favorite competitive genre), but have been following o_8's art and Mike Z for a while. So I'll happily take any opportunity to support the fine folks at Lab Zero. :3

And it's not just $30 for a TF2 hat, you do get a fighting game with it. :p If any other people from TF2-GAF end up with SG and are just as bad at team FGs as me, we should play!

I'm terrible at all fighting games. One of the reasons I was interested in SG was it was supposed to have a relatively simple introduction to the crazy crap in fighting games (what's a roman cancel? I don't know!). Also the developers seem like really cool guys and are fostering a community so I'll support that as well.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the art, but whatevs.

On the sidebar it says a limit of 5000, so in tf2 promo items scarcity, I'd say that's pretty rare.

If it passes 5000, they are thinking about adding another tier for $35 to cover the cost of additional code.

I have this game on 360 and I never played it because it is a hassle for me to boot the 360 up to play it :| I much rather play it on PC.

Going to go in it for $30 soon.

Yeef

I did it because I was planning to get the game anyway and it's obvious that they'll hit the goal; so why not get a hat out of it?

Yeef

"Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me."

Top Bottom