• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

I'm a Venture Brothers fan, so I'm fine with Brock and am totally tired of hearing Claptrap. I want to blow up that stupid little robot. Some friends forced me to go to his birthday party in Borderlands 2 and all I wanted to do was shit on his pizza. Sometimes I wish robots could cry, so I could lick his tears before vomiting in his shoes (robots should have shoes too).

Anyway, where's that Ash guy from? Treasure Island?

someone didn't love you enough when you were a child

Collete

I was going to surprise the thread with a Medic cosplay for today's convention.
Due to motivation and other factors
20% of it was laziness
, I didn't put it together.
But glad it happened that way, convention was utter shit and a ton of events got cancelled it seems...Would have been a waste to spend X amount of money on a convention that had a ton of cancelled events.
Well, always next convention.

I was going to surprise the thread with a Medic cosplay for today's convention.
Due to motivation and other factors
20% of it was laziness
, I didn't put it together.
But glad it happened that way, convention was utter shit and a ton of events got cancelled it seems...Would have been a waste to spend X amount of money on a convention that had a ton of cancelled events.
Well, always next convention.
move to socal. Wondercon was this week. I never go to cons because I'm anti-social and broke.

Collete

move to socal. Wondercon was this week. I never go to cons because I'm anti-social and broke.

I'm about as anti social as you are, even when I go haha.
I usually don't interact with many people when I do go though. But I still have fun somehow just looking at the art and admiring other people's cosplays. (And the rare event that there's actually a good panel....)
There's also fun thinking "I don't need any of this shit" but then spend all allocated money to giant cat plushies....

TxdoHawk

I've never gone to a con, as I've always heard the whole place smells.

Con stench is overhyped, and largely localized to a couple of people who temporarily forget what the purpose of a shower is for a weekend.

Some conventions used to solve this problem with firing squads full of people with Febreeze bottles, but the coalitions of people who are allergic to everything on Earth complained and they had to stop. Too bad, too, because it was funny and seemed to be giving the con populations enough of a hint that the problem was decreasing.

The cons I've been to have been alright in the stench department.

Except of course one time in the gaming room where only in the divide between the fighting game players and Starcraft players birthed the most unholy funk my nostrils have ever had to be exorcised from.

Sianos

No one saved a replay of the terrible bread-related puns on Friday?
I don't think I did, but if I have time (or someone else does :p) I can snatch the STV demo off the site and edit it. I have quite the replay backlog at this point. D:

Very fun games the past few days, been experimenting with loadouts beyond my standard setup. Gunboats still reign supreme in my opinion, but the other options have neat uses.

Yeef

Hello!

Here is the expected schedule for the conversion of Source engine games to SteamPipe:

Day of Defeat: Source: already happened
Half-life 2: Deathmatch: Wednesday, April 3 (DAY AFTER TOMORROW)
Counter-Strike: Source: Tuesday, April 16
Team Fortress 2: Tuesday, April 23

Our goal is to repeat the process that we used with the Day of Defeat: Source switchover last week. The "beta" dedicated server (The SteamPipe version of the dedicated server) is actually the exact same server installation that will host the clients after the switchover. We will try to avoid releasing a dedicated server update near the time of the client switchover, so that SteamPipe dedicated servers can be up and ready, and as clients switchover to SteamPipe, those dedicated servers will be ready to host them.

One note concerning the TF2 beta. As you probably know, it's currently a separate app. (The TF2 beta client is App ID 520 and the TF2 beta dedicated server is AppID 229830.) About a week before the TF2 switchover, we'll initiate a beta process identical to the one used for the other games. We'll release the Steampipe version of the official dedicated server (App ID 232250) and an opt-in client beta available from the "betas" tab for the regular "Team Fortress 2" application (App ID 440). This beta client will have all the same content as the regular game, will talk to the same item server as the regular client, and will have all the same items in your backpack. It will be running App ID 440, not 520. The only difference is that it will be using the new file system with VPK files, it will have a different PatchVersion in the steam.inf file, and will only be able to connect to SteamPipe servers. To avoid confusion between the two different types of TF2 betas, at that time we will deactivate the beta client app 520 and dedicated server app 229830. We'll have further details on this process when we release the official dedicated server.

If you have questions that are not answered by this FAQ, now is the time to ask!
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7388-QPFN-2491

Thanks,
Fletch

TxdoHawk

So there's some April Fool's joke going on about Reddit buying TF2 (and vice versa). The TF2 blog hinted at Reddit-themed items, but now it seems Steam Community and Teamfortress.com is borked. I'm confused.

Edit: Here's the text, since everything is haywire at the moment:

You may have heard that Reddit bought Team Fortress 2 today. We can officially confirm that this is in fact the case. So if any Reddit staffers are reading this: Hi, boss! We're working pretty hard over here. Well, back to work.

Okay, the Reddit guys've probably stopped reading by now, so we can be square with you: Reddit only thinks it bought us, because that's what we told them when we met them over the weekend to sign all the legal documents. What they don't know is that when a bird flew into a window during the signing and everybody on the TF2 team got scared and some of us started crying, that was a little something we in the business world call a distraction.

The "bird" that "flew" into the window? Not a bird at all. It was a squirrel launched from a t-shirt cannon by one of our guys across the street. The part where we got "scared"? Daniel Day Lewis-level method acting by the TF2 team. The part where some of us started "crying"? That was because the sound of the squirrel hitting the glass was a lot louder than we thought it would be and was legitimately scary. So technically real, but still under the umbrella of our overall deception.

Once the Reddit guys were thoroughly distracted, we took advantage of them awkwardly trying to avoid eye contact with us and switched the legal documents for new documents. Documents that said we actually secretly bought them. Business.

In celebration of our Reddit purchase, we're going to add some new Reddit-themed items to the game. There's also plenty of neat stuff we're working on and would love to tease. But realistically, because today is the International Day of Foolishness, anything we told you guys would just be met with suspicion. And when have we ever trolled our community? Never, that's when. Okay, maybe that one time.

"one time" links to a post on 4/1/09 about Jarate, which became a real thing. Hint that the Reddit items aren't a joke?

Bluth54

The second page of the comic seems to imply we are getting another Medieval map with the catapult section, which is pretty surprising.

I figure robot skins are another thing in the works as well. There are some janky server mods that do that with the MVM models but they're not perfect.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Bball is so fun and it's an easy way to farm your Stranges. :D Gotta practice my jumps on the map though, I kept whiffing over the fence with my rockets and I barely touched the back wall.

Got one good speedshot that cleared the entire court... and then I went past the hoop because I wasn't anticipating the speed. orz

tumblr_lkrba2wkxR1qg1y19o1_400.gif

Alienups

Bball is so fun and it's an easy way to farm your Stranges. :D Gotta practice my jumps on the map though, I kept whiffing over the fence with my rockets and I barely touched the back wall.

Got one good speedshot that cleared the entire court... and then I went past the hoop because I wasn't anticipating the speed. orz

Every time someone mentions bball i have to watch this vid again; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmoenfHHboo

New (old) Pyro primary spotted in Valve's GDC lecture

pyroflame_zpsd6926f90.png

It's the Griefblower, which last made an appearance in the Free2Play trailer and then before that, during the Polycount contest.

It's an ooooolllldddd item, but it pops up now and again. I wonder if this time they're really adding it for reals.

As a public service announcement to any person or persons who wish to play MGE be it BBall, endiff, or other modes, never under any circumstances should you play with Joe Carter. His name might not always be the same but you can tell it is him by the presence of a small asian woman in his avatar, a generally nonsensical name, and by the foul stench of Canada wafting in the air. Upon playing MGE, he immediately plugs his Game Genie into his computer and gets cheats for extra airtime which he uses to pull off this otherwise impossible midair corkscrews and also adds heat-seeking missiles to his rocket launcher that he uses to make ridiculous airshots. Should you happen upon him on a server, do not under any circumstances engage him. Simply curl up into a ball and cover your vulnerable fleshy parts. Eventually he'll lose interest and go away.

As a public service announcement to any person or persons who wish to play MGE be it BBall, endiff, or other modes, never under any circumstances should you play with Joe Carter. His name might not always be the same but you can tell it is him by the presence of a small asian woman in his avatar, a generally nonsensical name, and by the foul stench of Canada wafting in the air. Upon playing MGE, he immediately plugs his Game Genie into his computer and gets cheats for extra airtime which he uses to pull off this otherwise impossible midair corkscrews and also adds heat-seeking missiles to his rocket launcher that he uses to make ridiculous airshots. Should you happen upon him on a server, do not under any circumstances engage him. Simply curl up into a ball and cover your vulnerable fleshy parts. Eventually he'll lose interest and go away.

I played him a while back, I lost badly. Then I saw Joe Carter get beat by some dude with an Original. Joe is better than most though.

Bauhaus

Banned

How do you know all that?

Bluth54

New (old) Pyro primary spotted in Valve's GDC lecture

pyroflame_zpsd6926f90.png

It's the Griefblower, which last made an appearance in the Free2Play trailer and then before that, during the Polycount contest.

It's an ooooolllldddd item, but it pops up now and again. I wonder if this time they're really adding it for reals.

I guess you never know, I had pretty much given up hope on the Begger's Bazooka as well when we suddenly got it in Pyromania.

Yeef

I'm a total TF2 newb, just downloaded this.

I have to ask, why does this game take forever to load anything?
Old version of an outdated engine.

On April 23 it'll be updated to SteamPipe (newer version of an old engine), which will make it load a lot faster.

Top Bottom