• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

Starting to get fed up with green geeks. I got this email this morning:

It has come to our attention that you are archiving files on your web hosting account. This is a violation of our terms of service as the account is not to be used as a archiving or backup service. You will have 24 hours from this e-mail to backup your files and remove them from the server otherwise we will be forced to remove them for you.

Below are the files/directories in question:
/home/alliedbi/public_html/tf2/tf

4.1G maps
###
This is probably a recent change, since they did change their TOS recently, but it seems like every few months they cut more and more features. They claim that the files are "unrelated" to my website, even though that's patently false.

The long and short of it is, no more custom maps until I find a new place to host them. Also, I am in the market for a new hosting company, because at this point even if they make things right, I don't really want to give them anymore of my business.

moojito

I just wiped out the entire blue team twice in one life on barnblitz 2nd point with my pyro's phlogistinator + mmph buff. Damn, that's fun.

Play Soldier, shoot the other team. You have a lot of health and do a lot of damage, but you also have more mobility options than a Heavy, for another example of big slow damage dealers. But honestly, very few people have "set" classes that they use forever and ever. We all have our favorites(My Scout, Soldier, and Spy hours far outweigh the others), but I've played everything that's not an Engie for many hours of gameplay, depending on what I think the team needs at the time, or what I feel like doing. That's the great thing about TF2, that you can be so many different things whenever you want and contribute to the team. Maybe you want to get right on the frontlines for offensive pushes or defensive holds with the Soldier or the Heavy. Maybe you like to get behind enemy lines and cause chaos with the Spy, or ambush players with the Pyro. Maybe you just wanna sit back and deal out headshots with the Sniper, or maybe your aim isn't doing that hot today but you wanna help, so you go Medic.

I say play Soldier just because he's probably one of the easiest classes to get out there and do damage. There's never a BAD time to be a Soldier. You won't hear anybody bitching about "Gah, too many soldiers on this team!" You have a lot of health, so you tend to escape some situations other weaker classes might not, and your weapon is very straight forward. Jump, shoot at their feet, rinse and repeat til death or have to reload. Switch out to shotgun to pick off enemies, it's hitscan so it's faster and more accurate than a rocket. I tend to use it to finish off enemies when I have to reload(because reloading rockets is sloooow), or Scouts who dance right out of my range.

The thing about TF2 is that it's primarily objective focused, so you tend to know where the action is(around the control point/payload/hill/etc), and there's helpful colored arrows all over the official maps that point you in the right direction, so it's easier to learn them then other FPS maps, I found.

The hats don't do anything(but they mean EVERYTHING and you're much sexier with them), and you can get by with the default weapons 90% of the time. Very few are straight upgrades(see: Soldier's escape plan > default shovel, Medic's UberSaw > default BoneSaw). Weapons can be bought, traded, crafted, or you get them through random drops. The more you play, the more random drops you'll get, it'll just show up on your screen following a death, "Ooh, you got the doohicky thing!" Even if you don't want it, you could trade it, or use it to craft other things like hats or weapons that you DO want. You can see more information on classes and weapons here on the official TF2 wiki, but don't let all those numbers and weapons disencourage you; again, you can do just fine with the default weapons, the other weapons are more like alternatives.

A few tips that have helped me and might not be in any other TF2 guide:

-Turn on Damage numbers. Every time you do damage, you'll see -## over their heads, like a RPG. This is very helpful in knowing how much damage you're doing, at what distance, did you hit them at all, is it worth continuing to engage them, etc. It'll make learning the game and it's encounters a lot easier, I find, when you're not wondering, "Shit, how much health does this guy have am I even hitting him!?"

-Increase your Field of View to 90 in the options. You'll see much more of the screen, giving you a larger peripheral vision of the level. It's more enjoyable this way, trust me.

-Try to avoid any 24/7 32-player Instant Respawn servers. The game is made with a max of 24 players in mind, that was Valve created and balanced the game around. Now anyone who plays this game with even semi-regularity knows that Valve hasn't been perfect with balancing character classes and weapons, but anything about 24 players the game starts to break down into chaos. Spies are more useless than ever because there's more classes to worry about bumping into. Scouts have too many damn people to worry about with the increased bodycount. Snipers are now top of the scoreboard gods with way too many targets. More people equals more Engies turtling it up with 3+ sentry nests on the cap point. Defense(and Offense) is less rewarded because killing enemies just sends them right back into the fray with instant respawn, no breathing room to gather supplies or change positions for the next encounter. It's just a big spammy mess. Not saying those can't be fun every now and then, and I'm not saying the people playing that are idiots, but I feel it goes against the original spirit and core of TF2, and as a new player you should get familiar with that core before anything else.

-Do not worry about K/D. It doesn't matter. There's no TDM, this isn't that kinda game. Hell, don't fret over losses, either. Team Fortress 2 is exactly that, a TEAM game. No matter how good or bad you are, no matter if you were playing CS with one hand and Quake 3 with the other since you're five years old, one man most likely isn't gonna turn a game around, it has to be several people. You have to work together to achieve anything in this game. Often I find myself looking at what our team composition is, and thinking what's the best way I could help. I get more kills with the Soldier and have more fun with my Spy shenanigans, but if I think the team needs a Medic, hell, I'll go Medic! I get satisfaction of knowing I've helped the team(and thus myself) achieve victory, or at least tried.

-Try and have fun! Most of us in here are cynical bastards who don't even play the game half the time, worn down by hundreds of hours of mayhem, questionable TF2 updates and the dreaded NeoGAF Jank server rotation(Hightower...the horror...THE HORROR!), but it's a great game, one of the very best, no doubt in my mind. Valve has been very kind to it's community, giving us hundreds of free updates over the years, full of weapons, maps, modes, and oh so many hats. It's an ever evolving game built on a rock-solid core of class-based warfare, filled with colorful characters, an appealing art direction, smooth controls, and instant accessible playability. And it's all for free! It's one of the most played games on Steam with plenty of new players, so it's never too late to join. Stick with it, find some servers you enjoy, learn the classes and the maps, and you'll have a good time, I guarantee it

Ya know, until your team has 3 snipers on offense and your engie builds level 3 sentries right outside your damn spawn for "teleport protection"...then you ragequit and bitch about it on the internet. And that's part of the fun, too!

Who is the Hulk in this analogy?

Internet hosting companies.

THE JANK IS DEAAAAAAD (AGAIN) OR POSSIBLY ON IT'S WAY TO BECOMING A 24/7 HIGHTOWER SERVEEEERRRR!!!

apce7Fg.gif

Alienups

I MISSED THE CHARITY EVENT!

AND I DIDN'T EVEN REMEMBER TO DONATE IN TIME!

MONSTER HUNTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I think you can still donate and they have some signed weapons left. Even just giving them some gift wraps would help since they got flooded with signed weapons requests. I'm still waiting for my stuff.

Check the TF.TV forums.

MiKeD

Banned
Play Soldier, shoot the other team. You have a lot of health and do a lot of damage, but you also have more mobility options than a Heavy, for another example of big slow damage dealers. But honestly, very few people have "set" classes that they use forever and ever. We all have our favorites(My Scout, Soldier, and Spy hours far outweigh the others), but I've played everything that's not an Engie for many hours of gameplay, depending on what I think the team needs at the time, or what I feel like doing. That's the great thing about TF2, that you can be so many different things whenever you want and contribute to the team. Maybe you want to get right on the frontlines for offensive pushes or defensive holds with the Soldier or the Heavy. Maybe you like to get behind enemy lines and cause chaos with the Spy, or ambush players with the Pyro. Maybe you just wanna sit back and deal out headshots with the Sniper, or maybe your aim isn't doing that hot today but you wanna help, so you go Medic.

I say play Soldier just because he's probably one of the easiest classes to get out there and do damage. There's never a BAD time to be a Soldier. You won't hear anybody bitching about "Gah, too many soldiers on this team!" You have a lot of health, so you tend to escape some situations other weaker classes might not, and your weapon is very straight forward. Jump, shoot at their feet, rinse and repeat til death or have to reload. Switch out to shotgun to pick off enemies, it's hitscan so it's faster and more accurate than a rocket. I tend to use it to finish off enemies when I have to reload(because reloading rockets is sloooow), or Scouts who dance right out of my range.

The thing about TF2 is that it's primarily objective focused, so you tend to know where the action is(around the control point/payload/hill/etc), and there's helpful colored arrows all over the official maps that point you in the right direction, so it's easier to learn them then other FPS maps, I found.

The hats don't do anything(but they mean EVERYTHING and you're much sexier with them), and you can get by with the default weapons 90% of the time. Very few are straight upgrades(see: Soldier's escape plan > default shovel, Medic's UberSaw > default BoneSaw). Weapons can be bought, traded, crafted, or you get them through random drops. The more you play, the more random drops you'll get, it'll just show up on your screen following a death, "Ooh, you got the doohicky thing!" Even if you don't want it, you could trade it, or use it to craft other things like hats or weapons that you DO want. You can see more information on classes and weapons here on the official TF2 wiki, but don't let all those numbers and weapons disencourage you; again, you can do just fine with the default weapons, the other weapons are more like alternatives.

A few tips that have helped me and might not be in any other TF2 guide:

-Turn on Damage numbers. Every time you do damage, you'll see -## over their heads, like a RPG. This is very helpful in knowing how much damage you're doing, at what distance, did you hit them at all, is it worth continuing to engage them, etc. It'll make learning the game and it's encounters a lot easier, I find, when you're not wondering, "Shit, how much health does this guy have am I even hitting him!?"

-Increase your Field of View to 90 in the options. You'll see much more of the screen, giving you a larger peripheral vision of the level. It's more enjoyable this way, trust me.

-Try to avoid any 24/7 32-player Instant Respawn servers. The game is made with a max of 24 players in mind, that was Valve created and balanced the game around. Now anyone who plays this game with even semi-regularity knows that Valve hasn't been perfect with balancing character classes and weapons, but anything about 24 players the game starts to break down into chaos. Spies are more useless than ever because there's more classes to worry about bumping into. Scouts have too many damn people to worry about with the increased bodycount. Snipers are now top of the scoreboard gods with way too many targets. More people equals more Engies turtling it up with 3+ sentry nests on the cap point. Defense(and Offense) is less rewarded because killing enemies just sends them right back into the fray with instant respawn, no breathing room to gather supplies or change positions for the next encounter. It's just a big spammy mess. Not saying those can't be fun every now and then, and I'm not saying the people playing that are idiots, but I feel it goes against the original spirit and core of TF2, and as a new player you should get familiar with that core before anything else.

-Do not worry about K/D. It doesn't matter. There's no TDM, this isn't that kinda game. Hell, don't fret over losses, either. Team Fortress 2 is exactly that, a TEAM game. No matter how good or bad you are, no matter if you were playing CS with one hand and Quake 3 with the other since you're five years old, one man most likely isn't gonna turn a game around, it has to be several people. You have to work together to achieve anything in this game. Often I find myself looking at what our team composition is, and thinking what's the best way I could help. I get more kills with the Soldier and have more fun with my Spy shenanigans, but if I think the team needs a Medic, hell, I'll go Medic! I get satisfaction of knowing I've helped the team(and thus myself) achieve victory, or at least tried.

-Try and have fun! Most of us in here are cynical bastards who don't even play the game half the time, worn down by hundreds of hours of mayhem, questionable TF2 updates and the dreaded NeoGAF Jank server rotation(Hightower...the horror...THE HORROR!), but it's a great game, one of the very best, no doubt in my mind. Valve has been very kind to it's community, giving us hundreds of free updates over the years, full of weapons, maps, modes, and oh so many hats. It's an ever evolving game built on a rock-solid core of class-based warfare, filled with colorful characters, an appealing art direction, smooth controls, and instant accessible playability. And it's all for free! It's one of the most played games on Steam with plenty of new players, so it's never too late to join. Stick with it, find some servers you enjoy, learn the classes and the maps, and you'll have a good time, I guarantee it

Ya know, until your team has 3 snipers on offense and your engie builds level 3 sentries right outside your damn spawn for "teleport protection"...then you ragequit and bitch about it on the internet. And that's part of the fun, too!

Thanks for the write up. I'm also planning on trying out the game in the near future, so this was very helpful.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Listen up, you wankers! :p

ESEA S13 LAN Finals, the biggest event in competitive North American TF2, is happening this weekend. Matches between the top 4 qualifying teams will be played and streamed on Saturday and Sunday (4/20 - 4/21) to determine the champions of Season 13.

Teams (ordered by seeding):

1. High Rollers Gaming (formerly bp) - Shade, b4nny, Lansky, Taggerung, Cyzer, Shrugger
2. Classic Mixup - Harbleu, Platinum, TLR, Enigma, Ruwin, Yz50
3. Chess Club - Kbk, Alfa, Tri, Visitor, Weeble (subbing in for Clockwork), Boomer
4. Fully Torqued (formerly Laser Beams) - TheFragile, Pyyyour, Zbryan, A Seagull, Justin, Seanbud​

Stream info, schedule, write-ups/predictions, etc. can all be found at TeamFortress.tv as usual.

Aside from the usual prize pool for winning, the champions will also be awarded tickets to fly to England and participate in the i49 LAN in August. The Insomnia LAN series is the most important European TF2 event and if you'll recall, last summer at i46 we got to see the best of NA (Classic Mixup and Leviathan Gaming) vs EU teams in some amazing games. Mix^ won the event after an All-American grand finals. ;)

Not only will the Europeans get their chance at revenge (their best hope being the perpetual ETF2L champions Epsilon), but it's very likely that Australia will send representatives to compete too. Should be really interesting to see how playstyles from 3 different regions clash...

tl;dr - This weekend, the top 4 American teams will play to determine the NA champions of this season. The winning team will fly to England in August to play against Europeans and Australians so we can find out who's the best in the world! at this ridiculous game.

Oreoleo

Steampipe is available for TF2.

Right click the game, select properties and there is a tab labeled "BETA"

Click the stuff, launch TF2 and you'll be prompted to convert

\o/

Patch out:

We've released a mandatory update for Team Fortress 2. The notes for the update are below.

-Eric

------------------------------

Team Fortress 2
- Added a new ConVar cl_first_person_uses_world_model to allow this mode to be used outside of VR mode
- Disabled plug-ins that would allow users to connect to secure game servers even when -insecure is specified on the command line
--- Continued use of such plug-ins will risk your Steam account getting VAC banned
- Added support for unloading the displayed URL when the user closes the info panel
--- Added ConVar sv_motd_unload_on_dismissal to allow server ops to control the default behavior of their MOTD
- Fixed a client crash related to doing a changelevel while firing the Minigun
- Fixed a bug where you could come out of a teleporter facing the wrong way in VR mode
- Improved performance and stability for the Linux version
- Fixed a bug with custom fonts not loading for third party HUDs on Linux.

Only thing that matters is that now you can see your feet if you choose. Woo.

edit: well i'm never using this again

WxbBhC3.jpg

Alienups

Well open plugin is fucked now so i made sure to warn Numlocked, half of Epsilon getting VAC banned would have been a bit retarded.

If you could really see your primary guns on any class but soldier, it would actually be really nice. But most of them are held too low to see them unless you're looking down, so it just feels like a goofy gimmick.

Blizzard

Banned
So it just occurred to me, what the heavy needs is a ground pound attack like Wario. He'd jump off a high building, then hit the ground sitting down, and it would generate an earthquake that would stun nearby enemies, possibly flipping them upside down like Mario turtles.

Blizzard

Banned
Your 1984-esque decepticon edits will not stand.

Somebody make some heavy overalls item stat.

(actually do people even play heavy in competitive modes? seems like it's all about the soldier scout demos, even that exhibition stuff was 2 soldiers 1 medic)

Your 1984-esque decepticon edits will not stand.

Somebody make some heavy overalls item stat.

(actually do people even play heavy in competitive modes? seems like it's all about the soldier scout demos, even that exhibition stuff was 2 soldiers 1 medic)
It's been a few years since I remotely looked into it, but IIRC he got used occasionally, mostly for point-holding. Simliar to the Pyro, really.

Alienups

Heavy is most commonly used to hold lasts yeah. A fully buffed heavy takes an annoying amount of ammo and focus fire to take down, not to mention he can deny jumpers.

Bluth54

Starting to get fed up with green geeks. I got this email this morning:

This is probably a recent change, since they did change their TOS recently, but it seems like every few months they cut more and more features. They claim that the files are "unrelated" to my website, even though that's patently false.

The long and short of it is, no more custom maps until I find a new place to host them. Also, I am in the market for a new hosting company, because at this point even if they make things right, I don't really want to give them anymore of my business.

Hopefully Valve will just add maps to the Steam Workshop fairly quickly after the Steampipe conversion and you wont have to worry about hosting maps anymore.

Top Bottom