• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

i3yWHg8cAebWI.gif

AT thread? AT thread. Way better than a
Halo thread

Yeef

Apparently converting to Steampipe just causes Steam to crash over and over again.

So looks like I'm just going to have to reinstall TF2 tomorrow to update to Steampipe.
I had a similar problem. Just delete the TF2 GCF files in your steamapps folder. The issue seems to come from TF2 trying to extract certain files form the GCF files, but failing. If you delete them, it'll just download those files instead, and after the conversion it just deletes the GCFs anyway.

[EDIT] Also:

Valve is requiring that we update your server to a new SteamPipe version that changes the way that files are read and used in important ways. We will be applying this update early tomorrow morning (Wednesday, May 1), between midnight and 6am local time to servers; during that time, you will see your server go offline for some period of time, then come back up as the new version.

okay i am about to give up on tf2 for a few months again

no matter what settings i use, no matter how graphically frugal the configs i install are, tf2 has once again arbitrarily decided that this week it requires an extra 10-20fps worth of processing power from my computer than last week for absolutely no benefit on my end whatsoever, completely and finally rendering it unplayable

get your goddamned shit together, valve

Casanova

New to PC gaming: Here's my specs (I know they're shit) \/ \/ \/ \/

What settings should I use so that Team Fortress will run smoothly on my comp? I don't care about high textures or shading or anything I just want it to run better than 20 FPS.. I've tried to mess around with the in-game settings but the performance didn't ever get any better really.

Help please. Thanks

specs2v.jpg

Wow, all the rude things they say about Oreoleo are true. Such an uncouth lout, possibly a brigand, and most assuredly an Irishman.

sorry I wasn't Spaceb0y :p

New to PC gaming: Here's my specs (I know they're shit) \/ \/ \/ \/

What settings should I use so that Team Fortress will run smoothly on my comp? I don't care about high textures or shading or anything I just want it to run better than 20 FPS.. I've tried to mess around with the in-game settings but the performance didn't ever get any better really.

Help please. Thanks

specs2v.jpg

What video card do you have?

You can try direct x8 as oppose to what is currently set. In the launch option for TF2 on Steam, add this:

-dxlevel 81

Make sure to remove this command after you boot up with this command or else it will reset graphic settings.

There is alot of other things you can try involving cfg files. The main thing is Direct X.

You should gain considerable frame rate.

Code:
cl_playerspraydisable 0
r_spray_lifetime 2
mp_decals 200
r_3dsky 0
r_ambientboost 0
r_ambientfactor 0
r_ambientmin 0
r_avglight 0
r_cheapwaterend 1
r_cheapwaterstart 1
r_decals 2048
r_decalstaticprops 1
r_decal_cullsize 15
r_dynamic 0
r_flashlightdepthtexture 0
r_lightaverage 0
r_maxdlights 1 // Specifies the maximum number of dynamic lights visible.
               // High values may cause significant performance loss in combat.
r_propsmaxdist 0
r_renderoverlayfragment 0
r_staticprop_lod 4
r_waterdrawreflection 0
r_waterdrawrefraction 1
r_waterforceexpensive 0
r_waterforcereflectentities 0
r_worldlights 0
rope_averagelight 0
rope_collide 0
rope_rendersolid 0
rope_shake 0
rope_smooth 0
rope_subdiv 0
rope_wind_dist 0
tf_particles_disable_weather 1 // Disable weather effects on maps supporting
                               // it, for example, setting this to `1'
                               // disables rain effects on *_sawmill.
r_unloadlightmaps 0
mat_queue_mode 2
mat_vsync 0
dsp_enhance_stereo 0
cl_forcepreload 1
snd_async_fullyasync 1
snd_pitchquality 0
snd_spatialize_roundrobin 1
cl_disablehtmlmotd 1
mat_clipz 1
//m_rawinput 1
mat_vsync 0
r_fastzreject -1

Try pasting the above in autoexec.cfg

With the new steampipe, the directory should be steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/cfg

If the file is not there, create it.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried SteamPipe (I'm assuming, since I played TF2 and I guess it's required now?). I launched TF2, waited for the main menu, quit so things would be cached, and relaunched. It still took about 9 seconds to get to the main menu. Joining the jank took another 44 seconds. It might be -slightly- faster than before.

So if SteamPipe is mandatory now, it's 53+ seconds to launch the thing and get onto the server. That's a whole lot of seconds!

Wow, all the rude things they say about Oreoleo are true. Such an uncouth lout, possibly a brigand, and most assuredly an Irishman.

sorry I wasn't Spaceb0y :p
Oreo is the best, and these inaccuracies offend me, señor. ALTHOUGH, killing him is always a highlight and more satisfying than it should be. But only when he's a Pyro.

Yeef

I tried SteamPipe (I'm assuming, since I played TF2 and I guess it's required now?). I launched TF2, waited for the main menu, quit so things would be cached, and relaunched. It still took about 9 seconds to get to the main menu. Joining the jank took another 44 seconds. It might be -slightly- faster than before.

So if SteamPipe is mandatory now, it's 53+ seconds to launch the thing and get onto the server. That's a whole lot of seconds!
The Jank wasn't updated to steampipe until this morning, so there would only be minimal effect on the load times. Things should be faster now.

Also, having tons of extra custom files will make the game take longer to load. Delete all your pony skins and pee-wee herman sounds and you should notice a big difference.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
This is how I set up my files after converting to Steampipe a few days ago... maybe it'll help someone get their customizations (configs, maps, hitsound, HUD) back.

The conversion will automatically back up your configs and maps to the following locations:

common/Team Fortress 2/tf/cfg/(config files)
* You can leave your config files here or move them to the custom folder... I don't really see much point to moving them since it works fine here, plus there's the possibility of wackiness if you have conflicting .cfg files in either directory.

common/Team Fortress 2/tf/download/maps/(custom maps appeared here)
*Map files don't show up in create new server dropdown list but loads on joining a server / if you type "map ____" in console just fine.

Create a folder called UserStuff in the custom folder...

common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/UserStuff

In UserStuff,

sound/ui/hitsound.wav
resource + scripts folders containing custom HUD files
optional - cfg/(move config files here if you like)

I didn't sit down and measure it, but I definitely noticed an improvement in loading times after converting (and this was on top of the improvement after installing the game to an SSD which I did about a month ago... :p).

EDIT: I changed stuff in here, since I actually am now at my computer and can double-check directories/settings.

Blizzard

Banned
You'll never take my peewee herman sounds!

I don't have any custom sounds or HUDs, but I do have custom maps. I'm afraid if I deleted them that I'd have to download like 50 maps from fpsbanana, considering I think even cashworks a few days ago didn't automatically download from the jank.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Something seems off on my sensitivity. The sensitivity I had before the update is the same, but it feels very different :|
Raw input? Accel? Does your mouse load different profiles depending on the game (have to point it to the new location for the TF2 install)?

Also, check if you have configs in both tf/custom and tf/cfg. TF2 will try loading .cfg files from both locations... I noticed some weird stuff with settings not saving properly because of it.

Raw input? Accel? Does your mouse load different profiles depending on the game (have to point it to the new location for the TF2 install)?

Also, check if you have configs in both tf/custom and tf/cfg. TF2 will try loading .cfg files from both locations... I noticed some weird stuff with settings not saving properly because of it.

My launch options already include these (-noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd) and I erased a custom cfg folder that I put in there (basically the same exist already in the regular cfg folder). No mouse profile used here.

Everything seems double my current sensitivity :|

Just joined the Neogaf TF2 group on steam so I can play with anyone who's open. I was going to join the Neogaf steam group but sadly it says that I need to be invited :(

Regardless, if any games are open and I'm online I'll gladly jump in.

Yeef

Just joined the Neogaf TF2 group on steam so I can play with anyone who's open. I was going to join the Neogaf steam group but sadly it says that I need to be invited :(

Regardless, if any games are open and I'm online I'll gladly jump in.
We typically send out announcements or events between 8~10 PM eastern time, then the server fills up in like 10 minutes. If you see any pop ups form the Gaf-TF2 group, it's a good time to join the server: here

Blizzard

Banned
Wow TF2 loading is really quick, can't wait to see it on SSD.
It took me 72 seconds to get from the main menu to the harvest map's team select screen today. I deleted the TF2 GCF's and redownloaded yesterday, but maybe I need to back up custom maps and move them somewhere else, or just delete the entire TF2 and copy custom maps back once it redownloads. :/

Yeef

Custom maps don't effect anything.

Obviously you've just go Blizzard's Curse. You should slay the Obsidian Cyclops. That should cure you.

Chanser

It took me 72 seconds to get from the main menu to the harvest map's team select screen today. I deleted the TF2 GCF's and redownloaded yesterday, but maybe I need to back up custom maps and move them somewhere else, or just delete the entire TF2 and copy custom maps back once it redownloads. :/

Before the conversion it would take me a couple of minutes to load the map, but now it took me 1min 25secs to load the map. To me it is certainly quicker, to just load the game itself it took me 22secs.

Top Bottom