• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

So what's the best place to participate in PUGs these days? I used to do them years ago on TF2F.com, but that site seems to have died a long time ago. I always enjoyed moderately competitive, but low stake pick up games.

Also, I like how the skill level is quite a bit higher on the NeoGAF server than your typical pub. I'll join a random pub and feel way too proud of myself, and then join the NeoGAF server and realize I'm still not that great (awful sometimes, in fact).

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I posted this in another thread but got no response :(

I'm trying to play TF2 right now and when I try to connect to a server it says those servers are running a newer version of the game. Did I miss something? Its been a few months since I played TF2....

I'm trying to play TF2 right now and when I try to connect to a server it says those servers are running a newer version of the game. Did I miss something? Its been a few months since I played TF2....

Have you updated your Tf2 file yet? Try verifying your game cache. IT may need to convert to Steampipe if it hasn't already done that.

Whenever I get that it's because an update rolled out while I was playing, so you might have happened to start TF2 just prior to an update. Try restarting the game to see if it didn't already background download the update in the meantime or will start to update as you start it up.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Have you updated your Tf2 file yet? Try verifying your game cache. IT may need to convert to Steampipe if it hasn't already done that.

Whenever I get that it's because an update rolled out while I was playing, so you might have happened to start TF2 just prior to an update. Try restarting the game to see if it didn't already background download the update in the meantime or will start to update as you start it up.

Yeah my TF2 has automatic updates so I don't think thats the cause and I restarted the game to no avail. Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/0/828939163709719581/

No answers in that thread.....

And anytime I try to refresh for new servers it won't allow me to.

Anyone else experience getting shot through walls?

Every once in a while I'll encounter a Sniper that I can't headshot, even when my cursor was on their head when I pulled the trigger. Also, I could be behind a wall and completely out of their line of sight and yet they manage to headshot me. This happens even when our pings are practically in the same range.

Anyone else experience getting shot through walls?

Every once in a while I'll encounter a Sniper that I can't headshot, even when my cursor was on their head when I pulled the trigger. Also, I could be behind a wall and completely out of their line of sight and yet they manage to headshot me. This happens even when our pings are practically in the same range.
As far as I know happenings like that are interp dickery. Especially with people using different values, which makes for different things that the attacker, the server, and the attackee see.

Kuntz

I want to try... but I suck at fps and I don't want to be yelled at by angry people because they are not happy with my poor performances...

Any "noob-friendly" servers ?

I want to play a medic...

I want to try... but I suck at fps and I don't want to be yelled at by angry people because they are not happy with my poor performances...

TF2 is pretty noob friendly. You should be okay joining any random pub. And if they're jerks, just drop out and find a new server (there's always plenty of them running). Read up on a few tips on playing medic first, and then you should be fine.

Collete

Also, usually any "Map X 24/7" server is usually fine for beginners. Be prepared for a lot of people going engineers though...

On another note:

Who-Needs-Morals-LARGE.jpg

The reaction I think most of us will have during the Steam Summer Sale.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

Hopping into random pubs with the Quick-Play option should be fine. Or you can specifically search out Valve servers by putting the tag "valve" in the server browser.

Honestly, I think the best/most fun way to learn is to play with a buddy who can show you the ropes. Especially if you want to run Medic. :p

So what's the best place to participate in PUGs these days? I used to do them years ago on TF2F.com, but that site seems to have died a long time ago. I always enjoyed moderately competitive, but low stake pick up games.
Ahh, I remember TF2F... Good times.

Nowadays TF2 PUGs are largely organized via Mumble and IRC, you can find most of the related channels here: http://www.atf2.org/

Newbie Mixes (6v6 with a coach on each team) are usually held every weekend: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/na6v6newbiemix

The Mix channels host lower level PUGs.

There's also Crit-Fail PUGs for both 6s and HL: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/critfail

And Cloudius already mentioned TF2Lobby, which is the lowest stakes/easiest to just jump into. :p

Proven

Also, usually any "Map X 24/7" server is usually fine for beginners. Be prepared for a lot of people going engineers though...

On another note:

Who-Needs-Morals-LARGE.jpg

The reaction I think most of us will have during the Steam Summer Sale.

Oh my god, you just reminded me that I need to go console and tablet only soon. I will not leave myself open to another summer sale attack.

Ahh, I remember TF2F... Good times.

Nowadays TF2 PUGs are largely organized via Mumble and IRC, you can find most of the related channels here: http://www.atf2.org/

Newbie Mixes (6v6 with a coach on each team) are usually held every weekend: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/na6v6newbiemix

The Mix channels host lower level PUGs.

There's also Crit-Fail PUGs for both 6s and HL: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/critfail

And Cloudius already mentioned TF2Lobby, which is the lowest stakes/easiest to just jump into. :p

Awesome, thanks for the info on those. I'll probably jump into that scene in the next few weeks or so.

Out of curiosity, what was your handle on TF2F? We probably played together back in the day. (I played regularly on their servers from about Oct 2007 - Oct 2008.)

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, thanks for the info on those. I'll probably jump into that scene in the next few weeks or so.

Out of curiosity, what was your handle on TF2F? We probably played together back in the day. (I played regularly on their servers from about Oct 2007 - Oct 2008.)

No problem. :D

My handle there was the same as my GAF username! Sadly, I was hanging out the in console-version ghetto of TF2F at that time... didn't build a PC to play TF2 until the end of 2008, so it seems that I just missed you. :(

Randdalf

Just played some TF2 with my friend who's never played it before. We went on a Valve server, I told him to go Heavy, I went Medic... and well, it wasn't pretty. It's pretty fun stomping Valve servers.

Been Painting a house the last few days, and I'm gonna be gone the rest of the week camping.

Hope Yeef doesn't steal my Pic-a-nic Basket. I don't think the Ranger would like it.

Bauhaus

Banned
New Crate

Crate 59
-Strange Part: Ubers Dropped
-Strange Part: Heavies Killed
-Strange Part: Giant Robots Destroyed
-The War Pig
-The Fast Learner
-The Huo Long Heatmaker
-The Enforcer
-The Kukri

Collete

Also be wary of Faberge spiders in the woods....Killer sting!

fawK5jN.jpg

I would so want it if it didn't cost 10k dollars...

Also how long are you guys going to be in the 6s tournament anyways?

Blizzard

Banned
Happy birthday! Someday maybe I will get Windows installed and begin the process of trying to get TF2 and new drivers onto the new computer.

Sianos

Happy birthday, Dougie!

Another excellent victory for the Wooboyz, 5-0 once more. Major props to everyone, especially Appletini, who filled in for half the game while I swore about Comcast.

So guys, I finally started idling again, I brought my 24 bots back online with my new hand-me-down server workstation.

Trading Card bots anyone? These trading cards are addictive as HECK.

Top Bottom