• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they actually started a little early (that's never supposed to happen, lol) and I missed most of that match... what a stomping, and I thought Snakewater was one of HRG's strongest maps. :O

Woobie

HRG remain the champs. After Snakewater I was sure that mix^ had a good chance of winning but they couldn't pull it off :(. At least Viaduct was fun to watch.

Sianos

While I'm glad to see a huge shake-up in the meta, I'm not sure how I feel about the dominance of the Quick Fix. It's always great to see something new and adds a new dimension to playing Medic, it currently creates stalemates as teams attempt to push last with it against a Quick Fixed Heavy. I'm also not personally thrilled with how easy it is for a Medic to jump away from a roaming Soldier's bomb.

I don't think it should be banned immediately, but some tweaks to it would be nice. Valve's shown a new interest in competitive play and rebalancing: rather than banning it outright, I'd like a modified Quick Fix that's effective but balanced.

An idea to hamper the effectiveness of the Quick Fixed Heavy is to make the attribute "moves at the speed of the heal target" apply to all classes, not just the faster ones. Most classes are at around the speed of a Medic anyways, and you can quickly explosive jump with the Soldier and Demoman. Pocketing a Heavy would make the Medic an easier target, but this speed loss is mitigated on rollouts by the GRU.

Perhaps the Medic's weight could be changed to that of their heal target as well, reducing their surf effectiveness while they're pocketing heavier classes and making jumps sync a little better. This also ties in with the Quick-Fix charge's knockback mitigation, so there's positives and negatives to the change.

One other suggestion (that isn't my own) is a limit on the Medic's tether jumping. Limit the tethering ability so that when the Medic takes moderate damage from enemies (enough that just chip damage or a single weak roller wouldn't trigger it), they can't tether for a couple seconds. Maybe add a little icon showing the a broken medibeam or something. Not too long that there is no chance for escape, but you have to dodge for a couple seconds or preemptively escape. This also doesn't impede its effectiveness on rollouts as well.

The Quick Fix is a very interesting weapon, and I hope more minor tweaks are done to find the perfect balance.

Alienups

i49 is going to feel so refreshing with the QF not being allowed

Australian team is already in the UK, had the pleasure of getting domed by Sheep the Australian sniper legend earlier.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm also not personally thrilled with how easy it is for a Medic to jump away from a roaming Soldier's bomb.
Were you the person who used to play the triple rocket launcher bomb jump thing?

Soldiers and demomen have some of the highest mobility, especially vertical mobility, in the game. Pretty much anything that makes life more difficult for them is fine with me. >:D

Sianos

Were you the person who used to play the triple rocket launcher bomb jump thing?

Soldiers and demomen have some of the highest mobility, especially vertical mobility, in the game. Pretty much anything that makes life more difficult for them is fine with me. >:D

The Bazooka has always been banned in sixes play, and recently had its bombing ability severely nerfed. :(

The ease at which a Soldier or Demoman can escape with their Medic makes their own job easier: to escape is no longer quite as dangerous, as an airborne retreat is faster and avoids a lot of spam. Of course, ground is given up, but it is easier to to halt an advance when your combo is alive.

Another thought is to limit the overheal of the Quick-Fix uber to only the heal patient. The Medic still has the enhanced healing, but is at least vulnerable to uncharged headshots. While I think the changes to speed and weight have both positives and negatives that make the weapon more balanced, interesting, and reliable to jump with, this could be another mild change.

Proven

Watching the VOD off of twitch, and just watched the end of Snakewater.

I don't hate the Quick Fix meta. But I think it needs some more time to settle.

Pros:
+It makes things faster at the beginning. The team can deploy all of themselves at mid faster, can push faster, and need to be on their game more.
+If a team gets wiped at mid, they can quickly have something to help defend against a rollover at last.
+Less overheal means it's easier to burn down anyone not attached to a Medic, and focus fire works even better against the pocket.
+More Medic mind games between the three healguns.

-In some sense, it's too fast. The whole reason why a Heavy and Sniper/Engineer were played on last was to put the brakes on. It was panic mode. This can be solved by meta adaptation, maybe, but for now it makes a division of 5cp maps between mid/second fighting and last push more stark.

On the other hand, Mixup didn't have much trouble last pushing, and the game didn't last very long overall with their victory. I'd have to watch some more games to see how things go. I think Quote is overreacting but I did miss most of this season. The whole "changing Medic speed to that of the target, for better or worse" does sound like a fun change, but I'm crazy about stuff like that. Everything else sounds like too much.

I'll probably edit this after watching Process.

Edit:
Pet Peeve: If you're casting a game and expect people who don't normally watch the game to be viewing, for the love of god why wouldn't you use the call tags for the players that are clearly on screen! I don't care how well you know the players or if they're using joke tags, if you, the caster, are not saying the player tag people aren't going to know who the hell you're talking about unless you remind them every round!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Today is the start of the TF2 tournament at i49! This is the biggest international event for comp TF2, so watch it. :)

The best European teams (Epsilon, broder, Infused, etc.) vs NA champions HRG vs AU champions iM = hype hype hype.

Group stage matches will start at 7:00pm BST (2:00pm EDT).

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/vanillatv
VanillaTV Viewer's Guide to i49: http://www.vanillatf2.org/2013/08/rough-guide-to-i49-the-vanillatv-show/
Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=77931249

EDIT: Team Immunity vs TCM (broder) is live now... Australia vs (northern) EU!

If only I had one. Everyone seems to have 50, and I can't find one to save my life.

Hey, if you still need a flare gun I finally got a random one.

Just put a critcal kills part on it. It counts mini crits so that would work. Assuming you don't run around in the humiliation round and boost it that way.

I don't think they make strange loose cannons yet, I just wanted to say something on here tf2 related cause...well...this thread is generally dead.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried MVM for the first time in forever since a real life friend started playing TF2. They invited me to some crazy server that apparently had infinite money. I bought all the upgrades and then got an achievement for it and felt awful. I didn't know there was an achievement for that. :(

I imagine the only legitimate way to get it is some sort of infinite MVM mode?

Yeef

revell-1970-chevelle-donk-custom.jpg

Collete

I think I might get a headset,
(I have no idea that I'll actually use it but the opportunity to use one now arises)
but no idea which ones are decent that won't break apart upon first few months.
Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'm still using the same Logitech Clearchat headset from when I brought them in 2011. They aren't for everyone though. Cheap though. Just note that the black ear covers has not official replacement if you go this route.

Yeef

Does the little mouse on his head talk any?
She talks all the time.

Example:

[11:21pm] <salsa> omg the new gta is coming out soon
[11:21pm] <salsa> we'll have to play together some time
[11:21pm] <salsa> unles you get it for pc like a weirdo
[11:21pm] <salsa> i think im gonna retire to bed
[11:21pm] <salsa> im cooking breakfast and lunch tomorrow
[11:21pm] <salsa> makin from scratch pizza dough and alfredo sauce and slappin a chicken alfredo pizza together :D
[11:22pm] <Yeef> I'll get it for PS3
[11:22pm] <salsa> awesome
[11:22pm] <Yeef> because the PC versions always come out 8 months later
[11:22pm] <Yeef> and I can't wait that long
[11:22pm] <salsa> haha
[11:22pm] <salsa> right
[11:22pm] <Yeef> good night
[11:23pm] <salsa> night!

Collete

I have a Sennheiser PC 151. Its lasted me for years. (Picked it up some time after TF2 left beta.)

I'm still using the same Logitech Clearchat headset from when I brought them in 2011. They aren't for everyone though. Cheap though. Just note that the black ear covers has not official replacement if you go this route.

All right, thanks guys! I'll try to make a decision based on these.

CHAAAAARGEEEE

Yeef

Since no one plays anymore, this will fall on deaf ears:

- Added Chemistry Sets as a bonus drop. Chemistry Sets are recipe items that have varying inputs and varying outputs. You can complete a Chemistry Set by fulfilling all of its inputs, which will then give you the items it has listed in its outputs.
- The in-game player status panel has been updated to show an animated image of your character with their current loadout
- Can be disabled in Advanced Options
- Added Romevision sharing: anyone playing Mann vs. Machine on the same server with an owner of the Hardy Laurel can now opt-in to Romevision
- Manage your Romevision preference in the Advanced Options dialog
- Fixed a bug that would prevent Jarate and Mad Milk from applying to all targets within range
- Fixed a bug that would cause the Marked For Death icon to stay in the world after the owning player died
- Fixed a bug that would allow Spies to exploit the Kunai's higher overheal limit
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Medigun's "Share Power Ups" upgrade from working correctly in Mann vs. Machine mode
- Fixed a bug that would cause the last few characters of text to be lost when copying text from input fields
- Fixed a client sv_cheats exploit related to the commentary dialog
- Fixed a problem that would cause the shotgun shell model to appear incorrectly third-person when using the Family Business
- Improved bot pathing behavior around ramps
- Bots can now reflect energy-based projectiles
- Fixed incorrect alpha in the backpack images for the Valley Forge and the Founding Father
- The Foppish Physician and the Distinguished Rogue are now paintable and are team-colored by default
- Added server log entries for jarate_attack and milk_attack when using Jarate, Mad Milk, or the Sydney Sleeper
- Fixed using an incorrect path for downloaded custom player sounds
- Fixed duplicate support/mission icons in the Mann vs. Machine HUD
- Don't allow players without admin access on the server to use the various entity-creating commands to create point_servercommand entities
- Updated cp_egypt_final
- Fixed players building inside of Blu's first spawn
- Updated cp_manor_event
- Fixed players building in rafters
- Updated cp_mountainlab
- Fixed clip brush exploit above hallway leading toward final cap
- Fixed exploit where players could be trapped in small space near final cap using teleporters
- Updated plr_hightower
- Added nobuild to cliff bottom to prevent engineers building in the kill volume
- Updated the localization files

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Put this in your autoexec.cfg if you use a custom HUD and your game is crashing when you pick a class.

cl_hud_playerclass_use_playermodel 0

Top Bottom