• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

It's all about the new quick-fix meta where both teams pop uber, shoot at each other for a while, and then back away after no one has died.

But, you could always see what the other medic was running, provided they didn't rename their medigun. They've just changed it from text to an image.

Competitive medics name all their mediguns the same thing.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So I tried playing Standin on a pub for the first time today... it's okay with enough players, but so much time is spent moving between points and on capping. Annoying that you're encouraged to just run to wherever isn't being contested by the other team since the points themselves are pretty fun to fight around.

Process is just so much better a map, both for comp and pubs.

So, competitive players were exploiting a loophole and now it's been closed. How terrible.

Realistically, the spy shouldn't be clairvoyant. The fact that the spy could tell these things without even seeing the enemy seems more like an oversight rather than saying renaming your gun is an exploit not a remedy. It's a lot more significant in comp play when the effectiveness of kritz is largely dependent on surprise.

Blizzard

Banned
So I tried playing Standin on a pub for the first time today... it's okay with enough players, but so much time is spent moving between points and on capping. Annoying that you're encouraged to just run to wherever isn't being contested by the other team since the points themselves are pretty fun to fight around.

Process is just so much better a map, both for comp and pubs.
I don't remember what map standin is, but I remember some highlander map we played that had maybe 3 capture points in no particular order, and it was a bit of a mad rush since people would be running to one of the other points randomly, or to whatever point wasn't contested.

Realistically, the spy shouldn't be clairvoyant. The fact that the spy could tell these things without even seeing the enemy seems more like an oversight rather than saying renaming your gun is an exploit not a remedy. It's a lot more significant in comp play when the effectiveness of kritz is largely dependent on surprise.
If that were the case, why would Valve change it to reinforce the earlier behavior, rather than changing it to make the spy more blind?

Now sure, it might be the case that competitive players disagree with Valve's balance. I don't know to what degree competitive matches modify default settings.

Also I'm not sure what arguments "realistically" can be used for in the Team Fortress 2 world. It's not exactly a super realistic game as it is, with things like a spy taking fatal damage, cloning his corpse, instantly healing horrible wounds with magical medkits, and so forth.

Yeef

Yup.

No one plays anymore anyway.

Theoretically, it'll still be up until the next billing cycle which is either September 8th or September 17; I don't remember.

My point is that the purpose of disguising is to make yourself blend in with your opponents, not gain awareness about what weapons your opponent is using. And don't wax fanatical about what "realistically" means when you know I'm speaking in confines of the gameplay, not the universe. In any FPS, knowing what weapon your opponent is using before actually encountering them gives you a significant advantage in knowing how to approach them. I'm sure this was just an aesthetic choice by valve that happened to have tactical repercussions for the comp community. It's only significant because it's not a feature that any community can out and out ban doing simply because it's a user based UI customization.

Sianos

Yup.

No one plays anymore anyway.

Theoretically, it'll still be up until the next billing cycle which is either September 8th or September 17; I don't remember.

I know over the years I've gotten mad at many a Heavy and many an hour of Barnblitz.

But I'll miss the jank. <3

Thanks for all the fun times, Yeef.

EDIT: We'll still have pub invasion nights, we can re-purpose the old group as an invasion beacon.

I know over the years I've gotten mad at many a Heavy and many an hour of Barnblitz.

But I'll miss the jank. <3

Thanks for all the fun times, Yeef.

EDIT: We'll still have pub invasion nights, we can re-purpose the old group as an invasion beacon.

I actually think Pub hopping with a good batch of folks is still good fun. Also, we can all still hop on mumble, for Cards against Humanity, general laughter during pub stomps... etc.

Blizzard

Banned
My point is that the purpose of disguising is to make yourself blend in with your opponents, not gain awareness about what weapons your opponent is using. And don't wax fanatical about what "realistically" means when you know I'm speaking in confines of the gameplay, not the universe. In any FPS, knowing what weapon your opponent is using before actually encountering them gives you a significant advantage in knowing how to approach them. I'm sure this was just an aesthetic choice by valve that happened to have tactical repercussions for the comp community. It's only significant because it's not a feature that any community can out and out ban doing simply because it's a user based UI customization.
I honestly don't know what you meant by "realistically" -- it seemed like a good chance to me that Valve intended spy giving you information to work that way, by showing you classes, weapons (reinforced by the recent change), and so forth.

I'm not trying to be rude, but -why- are you "sure this was just an aesthetic choice"? Has Valve spoken out about this topic in the past? :p

i'll never be able to complain about the spamming of announcements ever again

which is what caused everyone to leave the group killing the server

i'll never be able to complain about the spamming of announcements ever again

which is what caused everyone to leave the group killing the server

Naw man, the Steam group has always maintained between 600 and 700 members.

What killed the server was all the Srspants McNofuns joining early, killing the mood, and then everyone leaving by the next map.

Or at least, that's my story.

Aww, it's really gonna die?

I haven't played TF2 since the summer update but I guess I'll break my hiatus to get some games in this final week of Jank's life. ;^;7

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
Alright, first time poster, long time listener...

Let's consider the House of Paincakes aka possible Jank 5.0.

• What do people like about the current TF2 server?
  • What do people dislike about the current TF2 server?
  • What would people like to see in a new TF2 server?
and

• What are some great chocolate cookie recipes that are gluten free?

Please, no gripes about specific people. Consider this a fresh start, new beginning, and a Miley Cyrus without the twerking.

--SpaceB0y

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
It's spacey.

I'm ok with just having the regulars doing what we have been doing for the past few months. Just roving around, no home, no job, no place to stay. Like a Bob Dylan song you can actually understand .

I don't know what the fuck I'm on about.

and

Please, no gripes about specific people. Consider this a fresh start, new beginning, and a Miley Cyrus without the twerking.

--SpaceB0y

Eww, junior member. Just ignore it and it'll go away on it's own.

Forkball

and

--SpaceB0y

1. Hightower
2. Not enough Hightower
3. More Hightower

Sianos

Some ideas towards the new server:

- Thirty minute map time. A nice sweetspot between allowing for longer matches and giving variety. Keeps things fresh, but doesn't mean we quickly switch over maps either.
- No two of the same map type in a row. Jank 4.0 did this, but stock and custom maps were seperate.
- Combine stock and custom maps into one menu/category for nominating and voting. Encourages people to vote for new maps.
- Keep GAF maps labelled as such, so people are encouraged to check out other's work.
- More fun maps, like Whalerace and such. Fun maps are fun!
- Look through the list of customs, replace older versions of maps with newer onces, cull the worst maps, add some new, promising ones.
- Play the pro versions of maps: they just offer some more freedom and are brighter and more vibrant.
- Settings/modes/maps for when the server is filling up. Admin executed, they keep the tone light until the server is balanced and more full.
- Give nsquote the power to drug himself. Pretty colors yay!

and

--SpaceB0y

yPwhw5L.gif

Spaceb0y has an account finally?!

inb4 people argue about map rotation vs player voting

Collete

and

--SpaceB0y

I'll start.

Edit: dammit I thought I would be first to respond! Curses!

What do people like about the current TF2 server?
I don't know if this is useful or applies to anything, but it always felt homely I suppose. Also people used to talk a lot so it didn't feel like I was playing in utter silence. Generally also the people in the server were nice to be around.

What do people dislike about the current TF2 server?
The server got too serious after awhile that kind of killed the mood. (I'm not going to deny I was probably one of these people that probably did kill the mood...I apologize) When you guys started to go into competitive matches, I noticed people weren't readily going into the Jank much either. Could be a correlation, I dunno.
Also it always felt like we played the same maps over and over, we never got to do the balloon race payload map or Degroot much to name a few.

What would people like to see in a new TF2 server?
A lot more variety of people and especially maps.
Perhaps a fixed map schedule as well?
I still think we should resurrect bi weekly highlander when we actually get enough people.

Sianos

As far as voting vs rotation goes, I think the best solution would be making less popular maps more likely to show up in the vote. People usually nominate the most played maps anyways.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
o7

Goodbye, Jank. We'll miss you. ;_; Thanks again to Yeef for hosting it and putting up with us yahoos for so long.

A wild Spaceboy has appeared. :O

The people who frequented it and all-talk. The best times to be had weren't necessarily about close games or epic comebacks (though those are always cool), but the hilarious conversations between regulars or whenever we got silly... Server-wide Eyelander battles or testing out obscure game scenarios and such. I think people splitting up between Mumble and in-game chat, some of us not using our mics even if we obviously have them (me :S), and people more frequently try-harding hurt that fun, inclusive atmosphere. Maybe someone should take up Borgnine's torch and make disturbing sprays for regulars.

I'm ambivalent on stats. On the one hand, it's nice seeing your improvement and who are the most active players. On the other, it can discourage certain classes and make people to play more seriously.​

Lack of map variety. I remember playing all kinds of maps when I first joined (Pacman, all those PL maps from the contest, and lots of other customs) but it's basically become Harvest/Barnblitz/Hightower as of late. Some of that was because of Yeef's webhost being a butt about custom maps recently, but even before that the rotation has become pretty predictable.​

If we're still frequenting Mumble, let people in the server know that.

Force more variety in map types. The current server already disallows playing the same type in a row, but we never play 5cp. D:

More nights where crazy plugins/modes are run. Degroot, Prophunt, whatever. Anything to keep us from falling into serious mode too frequently.

Yeef's bi-weekly 9v9 PUG system was boss when it was running. Organized matches, or any scheduled event really, could go a long way towards keeping interest and activity up. We still talk about stuff that happened during those HL matches long, long ago. :p

...okay, that's all I got for now. /joins a jump server

AcciDante

When/if the new server goes up, someone should make a 'new server' announcement thread over on gaming to get some new blood in. Link them to the group too, and then everyone needs to stop spamming announcements. Need some new regulars to fill slots with.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
These are all some great ideas so far. And definitely: Thanks Yeef for hosting this entire time and putting up with our nonsensical demands! Brrt.

A wild SpaceB0y has appeared...but are his attacks highly effective??

--SpaceB0y (sent from my iBlackberry Droid tablet phone)

Bauhaus

Banned
Javaman

Zeke

Wario64

Say goodbye to The Jank.

"Goodbye Jank!"
o/

This all feels bittersweet. Thanks for hosting the server for as long as you did, Yeef.

You saved me some typing. Pretty much all this exactly.

Top Bottom