• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

It feels good to be MVP against a bunch of class kit updates.

It feels DAMN good.

And we won the payload in a total shutout after shutting down their attack on the first round. Balled so hard the game had to scramble teams after that.

And then I got put on a team that couldn't defend or attack worth a damn.

you know the orig weapons are pretty much universally better right

Bluth54

I thought the TF2 comic was going to be released bimonthly, but turns out it's coming out bimonthly.

Thanks for the confusion Valve...

I was never confused by it. These are full length comics, which usually come out at a pace of one a month. The artist who does these comics doesn't even work for Valve, I doubt these comics are their only job/work. Expecting them to release the comics twice as fast as people who do it for a living is pretty unrealistic.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I was never confused by it. These are full length comics, which usually come out at a pace of one a month. The artist who does these comics doesn't even work for Valve, I doubt these comics are their only job/work. Expecting them to release the comics twice as fast as people who do it for a living is pretty unrealistic.

Also Valve time.

Not against Superspeed Demomen and 2 shot rockets.
Fully stock Demoman is one of the most powerful classes (if not THE most powerful) in the game. Demoknighting is largely a gimmick.

Don't know what you mean by 2 shot rockets as the stock RL 2 shots most things. Direct Hit? Stock is far more versatile overall.

Thinking I have any class update items.

Oh you.
Airblasting and shotguns are stock features of the Pyro.

sgt jumpy

Banned
I've only played 78 hours of Tf2 on steam. I main pyro and spy... I'm a Spyromaniac!!!! I go stock pyro typically, with my strange fire axe. Spy I use The Ranger, Dead Ringer, and Your Eternal Reward typically.

Yeef

Weapons that are pragmatically better than stock (assuming no random crits):

Scout:
Atomizer
Wrap Assassin

Soldier:
Market Gardener

Pyro:
Axstinguisher
Third Degree

Heavy:
KGB
GRU

Engineer:
Widowmaker
Jag

Medic:
Ubersaw
Amputator
Solemn Vow

Spy:
Big Kill*
Sharp Dresser*
Enthusiast's Timepiece*

Style always wins

Notice how, with the exception of the Widowmaker, they're all melee weapons. It's because melee weapons aren't terrible useful to begin with for most classes, so it's a good place to throw interesting utility items.

Collete

Thinking I have any class update items.

Oh you.

I usually have spare class update items, you can ask me if you want any.

Weapons that are pragmatically better than stock (assuming no random crits):

Scout:
Atomizer
Wrap Assassin

Soldier:
Market Gardener

Pyro:
Axstinguisher
Third Degree
degreaser

Heavy:
KGB
GRU

Engineer:
Widowmaker
Jag

Medic:
Ubersaw
Amputator
Solemn Vow
Crusader's Crossbow
If done right

Spy:
Big Kill*
Sharp Dresser*
Enthusiast's Timepiece*

Style always wins

Notice how, with the exception of the Widowmaker, they're all melee weapons. It's because melee weapons aren't terrible useful to begin with for most classes, so it's a good place to throw interesting utility items.

Fixed your list a little.

degreaser/axtinguisher is sorta useless against other pyros and players smart enough to pick you off from a distance tho.

vanilla weps be gud stuff excluding a lot of the default melee but besides that you oughta be good to go, son

Collete

degreaser/axtinguisher is sorta useless against other pyros and players smart enough to pick you off from a distance tho.

You gotta kinda improvise with other pyros in that situation.
Strafing and juggling usually help get rid of most pyros.

As for other players that are like X amount of feet away either:

A) Know how to aim your flare or detonator well. (If you have a shotgun, just shoot away.)
B) Know where the health is around you and retreat when appropriate.
or C) Stealth flank them from behind.

I believe that degreaser/axstinguisher reminds me of a spy in some sense because the point of utilizing the combination is to use stealth and swiftness to your advantage and to make flanking another team more efficient if done right.

The Degreaser does the least damage and is only meant to kill one person at a time. There's no point to be running around flanking with it because it does that worse than any other flamethrower.

If you're both at shotgun range than there's no difference, because the Degreaser only has an advantage when it can airblast.

Collete

The Degreaser does the least damage and is only meant to kill one person at a time. There's no point to be running around flanking with it because it does that worse than any other flamethrower.

The point of it being "worst" is to get that speed attribute to switch to your axe and kill your target after lighting them on fire more quickly.
Spies can only kill one person at a time as well but you can still get a chain of kills.
Same is kind of said with degreaser if you got the area lit up, you can just melee away, preferably from behind but also in front of if it comes down to it.

The quickswitch does much more than cheesy axe kills. That's far from the point of the weapon, and people who rely on it are going to have a lot of trouble against scoots and people who can aim in the air.

Spies don't generally get more than 2 kills in a row anymore unless the other team is stupid, and he can get into a place where he can get kills that actually matter. A pyro is always going to be noticed and still takes longer to kill someone even with the lame axe combo, so again, comes down to how stupid the other team is. Pyro shouldn't just light people on fire and start swinging an axe because then it'll just get killed right away by any team who isn't garbage.

Collete

The quickswitch does much more than cheesy axe kills. That's far from the point of the weapon, and people who rely on it are going to have a lot of trouble against scoots and people who can aim in the air.

Spies don't generally get more than 2 kills in a row anymore unless the other team is stupid, and he can get into a place where he can get kills that actually matter. A pyro is always going to be noticed and still takes longer to kill someone even with the lame axe combo, so again, comes down to how stupid the other team is. Pyro shouldn't just light people on fire and start swinging an axe because then it'll just get killed right away by any team who isn't garbage.

Picking off scouts and other players will usually rely on your secondary weapon at the time or depending how close they are to you. It's not exactly advisable to chase a scout with an axstinguisher for obvious reasons.
I know the quickswitch can also help get to your secondary weapon faster as well. It's efficient in juggling and in need of a quick weapon change.
You kind of have to rely on your secondary weapon as well if a situation gets tricky so in a sense it all depends how your load out is really. It's not 100% relying on the axstinguisher/degreaser.

I know of spies that get more than 2 kills in a row, doesn't really mean the other team is stupid.
It just means they took the element of surprise to their advantage combined with other techniques like strafing or air stabbing from behind.
When you do try to light people on fire and melee, you have to use your best judgment.
I'm not saying someone should do that on a row of heavies because even I know that's suicide.
Also pyros aren't always noticeable when they flank and catch you off guard. There were many cases even I got combo'ed by a flanking pyro that seemed to come out of nowhere.
Just like spies use their judgment to go for a kill or not, it's basically the same with pyros.

Strafing and tricky stab stuff is only viable in specific situations and assuming the other players aren't paying attention. It's not going to get a spy out of most situations or somehow let him kill 5 people, because it only even works within melee range.

Pyros can't turn invisible, so they obviously can't do what spies do as far as getting through crowded areas or anywhere with a sentry. They're actually the worst class for flanking because their only special movement property is the Detonator, and they can't do nearly the damage of heavy. The only situation where a Degreaser pyro would be more handy than a flamethrower pyro, where it's trying to kill one specific player, most other classes would already be better at doing so.

Woobie

This is one of the best "Run of the Week"s I've ever seen. Anyone who has even been on this map knows how perfect some of the jumps require you to be. This person does it so smooth and creatively, its a really enjoyable watch.
Also flawless runs are always fun to watch :).

ROTW 44

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Airblasting stock features of the Pyro.

Then I must be missing something here because I only have a flamethrower and no "airblast?"

Which reminds me of that stupid flaregun being able to set you on fire for longer distances than a Pyro normally can. :/

sgt jumpy

Banned
Then I must be missing something here because I only have a flamethrower and no "airblast?"

Which reminds me of that stupid flaregun being able to set you on fire for longer distances than a Pyro normally can. :/
Right click to airblast with the flamethrower. You can juggle opponents, knock them back, and put out teammates on fire.

Landing a shot with the flare gun is pretty challenging if the opponent is strafing or fat enough away.

Sianos

No wonder I didn't know that:

It's not in the 360 version and I'm coming from that with console knowledge.

I play Superspeed Demoman with (half) a 360 controller, so you'll feel right at home!

This is one of the best "Run of the Week"s I've ever seen. Anyone who has even been on this map knows how perfect some of the jumps require you to be. This person does it so smooth and creatively, its a really enjoyable watch.
Also flawless runs are always fun to watch :).

ROTW 44

Amazing run, so smooth as you said. :O

This week's Jump of the Week is pretty insane too. Cannonknights unite. <3

"what in the" - torii

Guys, I am freaking out. I just logged into TF2 after not being on in months and a bunch of stuff of mine is missing :O
Check your Item Inventory History. Should be on the Inventory page in the Steam client. Maybe someone logged on your account and traded it to another user.

TheBez

Check your Item Inventory History. Should be on the Inventory page in the Steam client. Maybe someone logged on your account and traded it to another user.

Oh my god, I never knew about this, thank you so much!!!!!!!!! I now have a list of all that is missing!

KarmaCow

Sept 16th Update said:
Team Fortress 2

• Fixed a noclip exploit related to dueling and coaching
  • Fixed clients not being able to run on WindowsXP
  • Fixed The Filamental displaying the burning material in DirectX8
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed Strange counters to be incremented negatively
  • Fixed The Crusader's Crossbow healing teammates with The Equalizer or The Escape Plan deployed
  • Fixed The Expert's Ordnance, The Hibernating Bear, and The Medieval Medic item sets not listing their associated hats
  • Updated The Sticky Jumper to only allow 2 active stickybombs at a time
  • Updated The Rump-o'-Lantern
    • Fixed stock Medic not being able to equip it
    • Fixed not using the correct materials when equipped by the Medic

Well that's dumb.

Updated The Sticky Jumper to only allow 2 active stickybombs at a time

I actually like it. Too many people on pub servers nowadays sticky jump to spawn over everyone and just camp with a lochNLoad or Caber the medic then and there. It's an exploit that needed to go away.

so glad the sticky jumper was nerfed, now if only they would add some more invisible barriers to the skybox in badwater that map wouldn't be a huge pile of shit.

Top Bottom