• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

I like last set. The problem now a days with Dustbowl (on PC) is the class items and slow build up of Ubercharge with knockback on class-kit updates.

Like I said: With the default/launch settings it's way fun for me. It's not as bad as like Operation Metro's in Battlefield 3's chokepoints so it doesn't bother me as bad as that map does.

There hasn't been a class update since 2010. dustbowl is bad regardless of what items are being used because it's just a bad map. I think most players would start to realize that if they actually bothered to play maps that aren't dustbowl.

There hasn't been a class update since 2010. dustbowl is bad regardless of what items are being used because it's just a bad map. I think most players would start to realize that if they actually bothered to play maps that aren't dustbowl.

what snacks means to say is, come out to dinner with us and enjoy a round of non-dustbowl TF2 this evening. our treat.

Alternate loadouts are the least of dustbowl's concern, in fact it makes it slightly better if anything as it actually gives classes like spy any kind of opportunity to do something while the map is otherwise one big spammed chokepoint.

I think the only official cp map that's worse is junction, but that one gets played at a frequency that reflects its quality. Dustbowl is about 70% of all servers that run cp and it's maddening.

Sianos

Dustbowl is played so much because its the training map that ye olde training has you play with bots before you're ready for Real TF2. It's also what the majority of CP servers run, so chances are you'll end up there.

It's appealing to new players because its such a simple map with simple mechanics. The basics of pushing and holding with a few mild flanks and forward hold opportunities. It's easy but gives a feeling of accomplishment when you win, an odd combination.

I'd say the Wrangler alone makes the map 3x more unpleasant with 3x the Sentry health you have to grind through.

----

On another note, I've been enjoying the Batallion's Backup lately. When you're holed up in last or trying to push through that last point, the extra defense really makes a difference. Halving sentry damage and reducing all else by a third is quite a boost, and the buff seems to inspire teammates to push in with you. I haven't given the classic Fallenhorn and The Conch much use yet, but I feel like giving them a shot as well.

Of course, Gunboats will always be my favorite, but the various brands of banner are quite rewarding in the right situations.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
what snacks means to say is, come out to dinner with us and enjoy a round of non-dustbowl TF2 this evening. our treat.

And get lost? No thanks, I'll stick with Dustbowl.

and building sentries in 2Fort. Valve not putting new maps in the 360 version was a crime. Class-items, I could understand. But not putting maps in the harddrive for the game to read? What?

(Though to be honest the Valve-endorsed new maps aren't that bad... it's when ya'll load custom maps I go "fuck this shit.")

Sianos

All of the custom maps we've loaded (or at least the large majority from the staple modes) have been extensively played, often used in competitive, and are among the candidates to be released as official maps. If any map is recurrently flawed on a design level, it'll be removed.

Learning new maps is fun and breaks up the monotony, and there are quite a few real gems magnitudes better than some official maps.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
The server is running pl_borneo_rc2 version for that map. There is also a UGC version on there, although I'm not sure how often that will get used.

I also added plr_panic_b2, because it was missing. And koth_jankyard_b2 has been removed from rotation until I can test as to why it kicked all of those people off from the server with that error message. Curse of the Jank, or something more sinister?. Either way, THANKS YEEF. (brrt)

Lastly, I just finished fixing and tweaking stuff from yesterdays stress test (Thanks again for everyone who showed up, I think it was better than the first one!), server is online and available @ tf2.capthatpoint.com. Although I lost count of the number of random people that would join an "itemtest" level that had just one person in it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

--Spaceb0y (sent from my office in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace)

Imma be off the tf2 for a while. I've left the west coast, and am now on the east! So now I share a time zone with most of you. Hopefully once my situation is straightened out I'll be to playin.

Blizzard

Banned
The server is running pl_borneo_rc2 version for that map. There is also a UGC version on there, although I'm not sure how often that will get used.

I also added plr_panic_b2, because it was missing. And koth_jankyard_b2 has been removed from rotation until I can test as to why it kicked all of those people off from the server with that error message. Curse of the Jank, or something more sinister?. Either way, THANKS YEEF. (brrt)

Lastly, I just finished fixing and tweaking stuff from yesterdays stress test (Thanks again for everyone who showed up, I think it was better than the first one!), server is online and available @ tf2.capthatpoint.com. Although I lost count of the number of random people that would join an "itemtest" level that had just one person in it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

--Spaceb0y (sent from my office in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace)
Some day I will try this newfangled server.

Dad, are you space?

Yeef

I also added plr_panic_b2, because it was missing. And koth_jankyard_b2 has been removed from rotation until I can test as to why it kicked all of those people off from the server with that error message.
Obviously, it misses its home. It knows better than to cavort with strange servers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only two servers playing doomsday, and both are full of morons each time I change teams. EVERY. TIME. Derp what's getting on an elevator with the crate? WHO KNOWS! LOLOLOL.

ibIOr5PKd6MmJ.gif

What are your favorite servers, I'm just getting back into TF2 after a year or so. GAF server seems to be perpetually empty.

We're startin up a new server so that'll take off soon. Classy said some really good ones. The best way is just to add people you don't hate from here and join up with them when you see them on a server.

Got home, saw that there were a couple of alerts, so I logged into capthatpoint-- there were like 4 kids in there. As soon as I gave my customary "sup GAF", one of them says, "Leave us alone, we're working on achievements." I was like "Ques'ce que c'est?"-- and they were like "we're working on achievements so don't bother us at all."

So I bounced.

What I'm saying is I was disappointed, GAF. Now I must actually work on my comic, instead of goofing off with you's mugs, then go to sleep, unfulfilled.

You really know how to wound a guy.

This is all Zeke's fault.

I know it.

Collete

*waves back*
Why, hello there!

Got home, saw that there were a couple of alerts, so I logged into capthatpoint-- there were like 4 kids in there. As soon as I gave my customary "sup GAF", one of them says, "Leave us alone, we're working on achievements." I was like "Ques'ce que c'est?"-- and they were like "we're working on achievements so don't bother us at all."

So I bounced.

What I'm saying is I was disappointed, GAF. Now I must actually work on my comic, instead of goofing off with you's mugs, then go to sleep, unfulfilled.

I know it.

Well the server is still going through maintenance and we haven't really advertised much to other people as far as I'm aware of yet.
So you'll get weird people in that server right now. Sorry you weren't here on time with the rest of us.

It's always Zeke's fault.
Good.
You're learning quick!

Spaceb0y

Neo Member

So I bounced.

I know it.

Thanks for posting about this. I hadn't considered people using the server to get cheevos, not sure if there should be a rule against it or not. Opinions on the matter?

I've currently got a bout of the space flu (similar to the regular flu, but you know, in space) and I'm a bit behind on the server stuff.

This is also Zeke's fault.

--SpaceB0y (sent from quarantine)

Yeef

Randoms are funny.

So many times, on The Jank, I'd see a small group of random people on the server, so I'd join to see what was going on. Then they'd threaten to ban me if I didn't leave. Always gave me a laugh.

Randoms are funny.

So many times, on The Jank, I'd see a small group of random people on the server, so I'd join to see what was going on. Then they'd threaten to ban me if I didn't leave. Always gave me a laugh.

This happened to me once.

I slapped them a whole bunch and they threatened to call the admin or something and I kicked them all when they started calling me bad words

Randoms are funny.

I remember that time when we joined up and the server was full of Brazilians (actual Brazilians, not just Randoms) and they were all typing in Portuguese...

Hahaha RIP Jank.

*Pours a bit of his 40 out*

Bluth54

Thanks for posting about this. I hadn't considered people using the server to get cheevos, not sure if there should be a rule against it or not. Opinions on the matter?

I've currently got a bout of the space flu (similar to the regular flu, but you know, in space) and I'm a bit behind on the server stuff.

If a small group of people want to use the server to get achievements when no one else is on I don't really see a problem with that.

Points for Social D.

Sianos

woah a patch

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added the Fall 2013 Acorns Crate #72

Added the Fall 2013 Gourd Crate #73

Added a new promo item: The Grandmaster

Fixed several bugs that would cause inconsistent behavior when switching between or modifying loadout presets

Fixed a bug that would cause modifying (i.e., painting, renaming) an item to break loadout presets involving that item

Fixed the Ubersaw taunt attack using the incorrect deathnotice image

Fixed the Demoman charge sound being clipped by the weapon crit sound

Fixed being able to incorrectly earn the Scout achievement "Retire the Runner" by killing a Heavy who had just eaten The Buffalo Steak Sandvich

Updated Hardy Laurel for the Soldier and Engineer so it doesn't float on their heads

Updated the Summer Shades and Professor Speks so they don't float in the air during Sniper taunts

Updated Cp_Granary

Added nobuild and clipping to fix exploits above the forward spawns

Adjusted player shadows to reduce shadows casting through walls

Skybox rendering fixes

dhonk

I might have another item in the fall crate, so thats pretty neat. (Something I did a SFM poster for.... Hint!)

Also got a new thing to post! Ghosty guy ahoy!

Top Bottom