• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
so glad the sticky jumper was nerfed, now if only they would add some more invisible barriers to the skybox in badwater that map wouldn't be a huge pile of shit.
Invisible sky barriers are an annoying thing to me whether it's Left 4 Dead 2 or TF2. And I don't even play demoman! Just feels claustrophobic.

Woobie

"Fixed The Crusader's Crossbow healing teammates with The Equalizer or The Escape Plan deployed"

I'm fine with nerfing the escape plan more but this is more hurtful to medics

:(

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
So here's what's going on!

The server is setup with maps and plugins and stuff! That's good.
But it could stand just a wee bit more testing! That's bad.
But you get your choice of toppings! That's good.

WE WILL BE DOING A PROBABLY HOPEFULLY FINAL STRESS TEST THIS WEEKEND. LET'S TRY FOR SATURDAY EVENING, K? COOL!

Server Address: tf2.capthatpoint.com

Anyway, here's a rundown of the server so far:

-Per maps:
  • About 99% of the requested maps were added.
  • Map voting and nominating is catergorized for selecting.
  • Payload race, CTF, Medieval, and "Other" maps (DOM, SD) can be nominated, but will not be selected randomly for people vote for.
  • Just in case you missed the memo, there are no arena maps, or Hydro.
-Per scramble:
  • The server does not auto scramble at the beginning, or automatically assign teams.
  • The server SHOULD auto scramble after a round where it detects score imbalance (or whatever the method is).
  • The server SHOULD give the option to vote if people call "votescramble", "scramblevote", or "sausage". (This did not work in recent testing however, hence the need for more).
-Per Autobalance:
  • Autobalance will kick in when a team has 2 more players than the other.
  • If the players do not manually balance within 60 seconds, the server will do it automatically.
  • 3 more players on another team will trigger a forced autobalance.
-Current server game settings:
  • Max rounds per map: 2
  • Map Time Limit: 25 min
  • Map will end if time limit reached, to keep things moving and prevent stalemates.
  • Random Crits are OFF
  • Damage spread is ON (see below why)
  • Fixed Weapon spreads are ON
  • Replays are ON (and working!)
I have added a couple of security plugins, so please let me know if you get marked as a false positive. I have some fun plugins, like RTD installed, but they have to be manually enabled by an admin so that regular play (during the week) will not be accessing them. I might be adding a couple more simple plugins, but I'd rather test the ones I have installed right now to ensure they're stable before moving forward.

Once the final testing is complete, I'll take the server out of testing status (which just means removing that from it's host name) and have it run all of the time. I will also be registering it with Valve, so that it will get more traffic from the public (read as: random) players. This is one of the goals I have for this server. Part of being a public server though means meeting certain settings criteria, and one of them was having Damage spread enabled. So that's why that is turned on.

Gee whiz this is a long and boring post. I hope you made it this far! Thanks for reading!

And a BIG THANKS to everyone who's helped me test out so far! Hope to see a lot of people this weekend for the next testing on Saturday!

--SpaceB0y (sent from my van down by the river)

Yeef

Damage spread is the worst.

Also, if you're talking about quickplay traffic, you also need random crits, which are almost the worst.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2825-AFGJ-3513
You need to be running a Valve map to be matched, except:
Any arena map
cp_manor_event
cp_degrootkeep
koth_harvest_event
tc_hydro
Servers should be running as "vanilla" as possible. In particular, these server tags (sv_tags) will disqualify a server:
friendlyfire
respawntimes
nocrits
norespawntime
nodmgspread
highlander
noquickplay
Your server should not be password protected
Your server needs to have VAC enabled
Increasing the max player count above 24 will incur a matchmaking scoring penalty, but will not disqualify you from the list

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
Not exactly sure how I missed that nocrits thing before, but that was the exact page that I looked at. Thanks for pointing that out. Let me ponder it some more, if I may.

--SpaceB0y

Bluth54

I really don't mind random crits all that much, sure sometimes they screw you over but other times they can really help you get some nice kills.

Damage spread is slightly more annoying to me, I like damage being fixed, however usually the damage spread isn't too huge so it doesn't annoy me too much to have it on.

Yeef

Damage spread is slightly more annoying to me, I like damage being fixed, however usually the damage spread isn't too huge so it doesn't annoy me too much to have it on.
Damage spread means a Machina sniper can one-hit body shot a fully healed Soldier.

Sianos

I don't think quickplay is really necessary or relevant to our goals.

Yeef used to run quickplay on the Jank in the day, and it very rarely filled up with more than a few redirected people. Quickplay is more likely to send players to your server when its almost full: after all, who would want to play on a near empty server? To get around this, many lower level servers will run bots off of Steam accounts, so quickplay is most likely to send players there (these servers also usually have the long pinion counters as well, so they're looking for quantity over quality).

If we can establish a quality, open community geared towards somewhat more experienced (read: have completed the tutorials) players, people will flood in naturally.

As an example, Gibbed Gaming is a server with quickplay, yet every afternoon the server first has to be started up manually by the regulars. It isn't until the server is more active that people get redirected there: that's why donor have reserved slots, so they can still join despite quickplay keeping the server at 24/24 once the regulars start it. Once the jank got started, it was no issue keeping it full until everyone went to bed: it was more getting it started in the first place that was the issue. On the other hand, ster's server is almost always active. Many people queue up for it not just because ster, but rather because its one of the few nocrit, no spread, custom map servers that is actually tagged up as so. It's hard to find good nocrit servers, everyone basically queues up to the same few.

Basically, I think if we tag up the server so people can find it in the browser, have a website community, and advertise some, we'll form a healthy community (in hindsight, "The NeoGAF server" made it feel exclusively for NeoGAF users) and still be able to run our server the way we want, not the way Valve wants us to.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
After reading some of the responses, I've decided to turn off the damage spread right now. We'll see how things go without it, and if it attracts more players.

Also: The server is located on the Internet! This particular Internet also happens to be stationed in Dallas, Texas. The company that I decided to host with did not have a Chicago option available at the time (it was listed as sold out), so I determined that Dallas should be "centered" (East/West) enough geographically for most players. Sorry if I screwed anyone in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or anywhere else up North!

The points NSQuote made about quickplay on servers were interesting. On a lark, I thought I'd check out 'top ranked servers' on some gaming websites (like Gametracker). Much to my horror, the top ranked servers listed there were 32 slot instant-respawn 24/7 2fort, and other similar settings. Also listed near the top were trade and idling servers. So yeah, that gave me a sad. My whole idea of checking to see what worked as a recipe for success will require a lot more research, since the facts presented were quite discomforting.

Anyways, REMEMBER THAT THE HOPEFULLY LAST FINAL STRESS TEST IS THIS SATURDAY EVENING.

SERVER ADDRESS: TF2.CAPTHATPOINT.COM

PUNCH AND PIE WILL BE SERVED.

--SpaceB0y (sent from the phantom zone)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I keep getting Sandviches... :/

At least I got the Ghostly Gibbus and Pyrovision Goggles tonight.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
Howdy Y'all!

Stress test tonight!

9:30pm EST (in about an hour from now, or when this was posted)

Server address: tf2.capthatpoint.com

What to bring: Yourself, and a friend (or more) if possible!

SEE YA THERE

--SpaceB0y (Sent from the testing chamber, while waiting for Gordon)

Collete

We need to find pyro and make him/her admin. He's/she's been faithful to the itemtest.
Maybe this stress test will lure him/her out!

TheSeks

Downloading maps is nearly as slow as before. But not as terribly bad.

Also yay second MVP finally.

(Missing map koth.bsp, disconnecting)

L034

Hi everyone,
Just finished putting the final touches on a server, it's pretty much vanilla Dustbowl for now, which maps and simple mods do you think people would enjoy?

to stress test : 89.2.166.152:27015

The general populace really likes dustbowl given how popular it is among servers hosting a capture point gametype but it's one of the worst stock maps in the game. I'm not too picky on map selection but I'd pretty much never enter dustbowl or 2fort.

Sianos

Last night was so much fun, Cap That Point is so smooth and jank free. We had a pretty wide variety of maps last night, but we'll keep tweaking the vote so its perfect. We probably should return to the old seven map gap/a few hours before a map can be put up for vote after its played initially.

Does anyone have any other suggestions towards map times and map votes?

Quite a few brazillians new players showed up, but they were all chill and pretty good at this whole video games thing. A few people asked permission to add the server to their favorites. <3

Blizzard

Banned
I wouldn't mind dustbowl if demomans were limited to maybe one per team.

2fort can be fun and even objective-focused if engineers are limited to one per team.

What I remember usually happening is people would say, 2fort sucks, and I'd be like gnaw dog, it's ok if you don't have more than one engineer. And then 2fort would start and one team would get 3-5 engineers, and then complain about 2fort during and after the game. YOU ARE SELF-PERPETUATING, HUMANS.

TheSeks

No way. I can understand 2Fort, but stock class items stock Dustbowl is amazing. Probably spent more time on that map than all the other maps in TF2 combined.

No way. I can understand 2Fort, but stock class items stock Dustbowl is amazing. Probably spent more time on that map than all the other maps in TF2 combined.

dustbowl is terrible. Always has been in its TF2 incarnation. It's from the awkward phase of TF2 where Valve thought sitting in a hallway building uber and hoping your team is smart enough to follow you down a narrow, easily-spammed chokepoint was compelling map design.

TheSeks

dustbowl is terrible. Always has been in its TF2 incarnation. It's from the awkward phase of TF2 where Valve thought sitting in a hallway building uber and hoping your team is smart enough to follow you down a narrow, easily-spammed chokepoint was compelling map design.

I like last set. The problem now a days with Dustbowl (on PC) is the class items and slow build up of Ubercharge with knockback on class-kit updates.

Like I said: With the default/launch settings it's way fun for me. It's not as bad as like Operation Metro's in Battlefield 3's chokepoints so it doesn't bother me as bad as that map does.

dustbowl is good AND bad. assuming the map isn't filled with engies and snipers piled up in masses on the final cap, it can occasionally be worthwhile. otherwise the map is terrible and the people who play it are evil.

Top Bottom