• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Greaver

Banned
I haven't been competitive before, I would like to be but...
I'm kinda of lazy to find a team that would want me lol.

Its definitely worth checking out, easily the best multiplayer team based experience outside of mobas imo, definitely the best FPS.

Its generally really easy to get into too, check out teamfortress.tv if you are NA, UGC if you want HL, etf2l if you are a euro, or asiafortress/nzfortress/ozfortress if you are from the lands down under/east

Its definitely worth checking out, easily the best multiplayer team based experience outside of mobas imo, definitely the best FPS.

Its generally really easy to get into too, check out teamfortress.tv if you are NA, UGC if you want HL, etf2l if you are a euro, or asiafortress/nzfortress/ozfortress if you are from the lands down under/east

I just recently got into it as a sub, but it sounds like they'd like me to start...so idk.

I'm their Pyro. I burn stuff and airblast things away from Medic.

It's a good life.

Yasae

Banned
the lions den

but be careful, it's also a sex shop
image.php

We'll SEE about this "new server" and it's "lessened jankiness". But if it's Dallas then hoo-ah, 15 ping.

Collete

the lions den

but be careful, it's also a sex shop

I think you mean weabootique is the one that's also a sex shop.
...*shudders*

Fuck yes, Dallas is closer to LA than Chicago, so I'm all for it.

Try giving it catnip.

Kq2CK34.gif

I do give him catnip. He's not that crazy on it but he starts rubbing his head against my knee, and then starts licking my knee...
So...yeah!..

sandman64

Neo Member
I am in need of some good, default 24 players servers with official map rotation. Suggestions?

Here's my favorites in no particular order:

• Bar Room Heroes (BRH)
  • Trashed Gamers \TG/
  • Official Randomizer Arena
  • The Late Krew (TLK)
  • Ducksoup Gaming Community
  • TheMACHine.org Advanced Team Play
  • 50DKP
  • Tiny Little Robots
  • |V|- The Nest Team-Vipers.com
  • Critsandvich
  • Couchathletics
  • The Corner Pub
  • [‽] Teaminterrobang
  • The Lions Den
  • unofficial Reddit tf2 servers
  • Slaughterhouse
  • Axls
  • Kritzkast servers

They are all great, fun communities.

$50
wow

First they overprice everything in the in-game store now they're doing it to their merchandise.
They must've learned how dumb their audience was by the success of the INTERNET WEDDING RINGS

Even though it happens all the time, it still surprises me people pay for that ring

dhonk

Probably my last 'Ween item! Would love some votes from you lovely people. Got a video inside as well with some 2spooky good times.

Yeah, I uninstalled it. Its just not fun for me anymore. Tryhard demos/soldiers and their medics that jump with them now are just fucking retarded on Badwater (did I mention I hate this map?) When I notice one doing it I do a steamid google reverse lookup and sure enough its usually some ugc cocksucker out on his pubstomping of the day. Wasted 4 hours, hardly won any games, and I wanna put my first through a wall.

Woobie

Yeah, I uninstalled it. Its just not fun for me anymore. Tryhard demos/soldiers and their medics that jump with them now are just fucking retarded on Badwater (did I mention I hate this map?) When I notice one doing it I do a steamid google reverse lookup and sure enough its usually some ugc cocksucker out on his pubstomping of the day. Wasted 4 hours, hardly won any games, and I wanna put my first through a wall.

Sorry the game isn't fun for you anymore but everything in that post can be avoided if you still have interest in playing.
-Avoid badwater
-Find a vanilla server if you hate unlocks
-Learn to rocket jump if you want to be annoying like the "tryhards"
-Change servers until you find players near your skill level, it's frustrating playing with better/worse players

This is the internet, if something annoys you there are always opportunities to avoid it.

p.s. ugc players aren't even good
I would know I'm one of them and im shit

Special C

Ok GAF. I'm LTTP on Team Fortress 2. I'm primarily a console gamer and most of my FPS experience is based on Gears of War and Monday Night Combat. I used to play FPS on PC many moons ago. Mostly played Tribes and Tribes 2 then.

I've been doing DECENT for someone transitioning to M/KB.

My main question is what gametype should I be playing to familiarize myself with the game? I enjoy CTF games but it may be a little advanced for someone who doesn't know the maps well. I've tried attack/defend and king of the hill. Also what are some of the unwritten rules of being successful in TF2

Also, I'm on of those Jack of All Trades/ Master of None types of gamers so I'd like to get good with all classes so I can choose classes to fit the needs of the team. So far Heavy seems to be my best class while Scout seems to be my worst.

Ok GAF. I'm LTTP on Team Fortress 2. I'm primarily a console gamer and most of my FPS experience is based on Gears of War and Monday Night Combat. I used to play FPS on PC many moons ago. Mostly played Tribes and Tribes 2 then.

I've been doing DECENT for someone transitioning to M/KB.

My main question is what gametype should I be playing to familiarize myself with the game? I enjoy CTF games but it may be a little advanced for someone who doesn't know the maps well. I've tried attack/defend and king of the hill. Also what are some of the unwritten rules of being successful in TF2

Also, I'm on of those Jack of All Trades/ Master of None types of gamers so I'd like to get good with all classes so I can choose classes to fit the needs of the team. So far Heavy seems to be my best class while Scout seems to be my worst.

My thoughts: make sure "use mouse rawinput" (or something like that) is checked in the settings menu. For whatever reason I find it easier to aim with it enabled.

In terms of gametype, I think whatever you are having fun with. I don't think it much matters. As long as you understand the premise of the game type then you'll pick up the map after a bit of time.

Regarding being successful (which I assume means proficient), I think the best thing I can say is try to work with teammates. Any class you pick is going to excel at some things and have deficiencies otherwise. If you're attacking, try to do it as a group. If someone's attacking and maybe harassing a teammate's sentry gun, try to help them out.

I think playing medic is probably a good way to get familiar with the classes/combat, as it lets you make a big difference in the battles without getting creamed every 20 seconds--and as a medic make sure you're a bit conservative. It's better for someone you're helping to die and you survive, as you can help others and build up (e.g.) an ubercharge.

But really, you're in it for fun, so any class you like is a good class.

Regarding heavy/scout, I'm not surprised. I think it's only natural. The scout moves quickly and requires pretty precise aiming, whereas the heavy is more forgiving. That doesn't mean the heavy is a "noob class" or anything, in fact after 1500 hours it's still one of my favourites and can be very successful with a bit of help.

If it means anything, I generally pick my class by looking at what classes my teammates are--usually there's a deficiency and so I pick that class. In that way I like playing the "jack of all trades" angle too, though over time specific classes will end up growing in hours more than others.

Personally I feel 5cp (the capture point mode that's not attack/defend) is the best representation of TF2 and serves to make all classes shine. The repeated tug of war between capturing points between the two teams keeps things fast and loose, and all the classes have some use for their teams.

If you like the Jack of all trades approach, Soldier is a good enough class on his own. Made with nothing in mind to counter or be countered with, he's just a good all rounder that's always a good addition on a team and can reasonably handle most situations.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CTF is fine. Start off with Engineer and place turrets near the intel. Watch it like a hawk and beg someone to be a Pyro and spycheck anyone even thinking of heading your way.

Once you adjust to that, then start doing other classes.

I'd go:

1. Engineer
2. Pyro
3. Heavy
4. Medic
5/6. Solider
6/5. Demoman
7. Spy
8. Sniper

In terms of learning and importance. Yes, I'm sure the "pros" will heavily argue against my listing but that's in terms of "ease to learn" and "useful on all maps/modes" importance combined.

In terms of learning and importance. Yes, I'm sure the "pros" will heavily argue against my listing but that's in terms of "ease to learn" and "useful on all maps/modes" importance combined.

Idk what you mean by that, or if it's a potshot or what, so I'm going to ignore it.

Most classes tend to have multi-uses available, either in attack or defend really. What I reccomend doing is alternating between valve public servers and other servers like Lion's Den/Gibbed or others like that as it is more challenging so you can not only learn the mechanics but play at a higher level in general.

Also adding people from here is a good idea, most play tf2 regularly and are more than willing to help you or offer tips and other ideas.

The Frontpage of this thread provides a simple breakdown of each class, their strengths and drawbacks.

Another tip I'd give you is, unlike most FPS your Kill to Death ratio isn't really as important as you think it would be. This is a team oriented game and although it's forgotten by many players it ultimately doesn't matter how many kills you get cause if you lose the objective...well your team loses.

Personally my favorite class is the Pyro, I think I learned scout and demo first, never really got the hang of Soldier and Spy. But like I said it's different for each person, and you get the hang of different things. I personally find medic and engy a really boring class but some people excel at it, and are fun to play with when they are that class and it is super appreciated.

The best way to find out, is just to play the game! Add people on this thread, hit them up and just have fun. You'll probably die alot, but that's just kinda part of it initially, actually, even when you get better you die alot. But it doesn't really matter cause you respawn.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Idk what you mean by that, or if it's a potshot or what, so I'm going to ignore it.

People say to learn Spy when (IMO) it isn't important anymore. Like every class has a counter for the other now a days instead of the rigid class-beats-this-class-helps-this-class-nerfs-this-class rock-paper-system of launch/vanilla.

So, in terms of "ease to learn" Spy has a serious learning curve now a days and "useful on maps/modes" isn't as important anymore. Yes, they still have a "use" but unless there's like fifty engineers stopping you a medic/heavy, medic/pyro, medic/soldier can generally counter that and push on through with an uber.

Get it?

People say to learn Spy when (IMO) it isn't important anymore. Like every class has a counter for the other now a days instead of the rigid class-beats-this-class-helps-this-class-nerfs-this-class rock-paper-system of launch/vanilla.

So, in terms of "ease to learn" Spy has a serious learning curve now a days and "useful on maps/modes" isn't as important anymore. Yes, they still have a "use" but unless there's like fifty engineers stopping you a medic/heavy, medic/pyro, medic/soldier can generally counter that and push on through with an uber.

Get it?

Not really, spy is still a super useful class, and even a combo doesn't necessarily mean you'll win.

Also, Ubers don't guarantee you'll destroy a sentry.

Get it?

IMO, highly skilled spies are insanely productive when attacking enemy positions. When played properly (which I can't do) I think they are one of the most important classes.

Obviously unskilled spies aren't as useful, but that applies to many classes.

Yeef

Hey, remember this post? Of course you do!

Needless to say, my friend didn't win, but they're doing it again this year, so he's giving it another shot. If you want to vote for him, you can do so here.

Also, spies are awesome, they just need to prioritize targets a bit more than other classes.

Also, Scout's not on your list and it's the best class forever.

Needless to say, my friend didn't win, but they're doing it again this year, so he's giving it another shot. If you want to vote for him, you can do so here.

Also, spies are awesome, they just need to prioritize targets a bit more than other classes.

Voted.

Collete

I find it weird that it needs to access my friends and profile...
But I did it anyways.

An efficient guide to be da best pyro evar...Srs...This will mak u a very srs player.

If by best you mean most boring, yes.

Spy all day errday. There is nothing more satisfying than a good backstab.

There are plenty of things more satisfying than a good backstab: Double Donks, Airblasting folks off a Cliff, Rocket Reflects, Using the Sandman to stun medics before they pop uber/kritz, making fun of spaceboy, taunt killing snipers who stay in scope...

Top Bottom