• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
I made some WILD-N-WACKY server changes for the holiday season! If you LOVE game balance, you're gonna HATE this!

Every few minutes, the server will now have a MERRY CRITSMAS! This means EVERYONE playing gets CRITS to shoot at everyone else!

But that's not all! Para mis amigos que habla espanol, the server will also have a FELIZ UBERDAD! This means UBER for EVERYONE!

I know what you're thinking: Won't everyone getting crits just make things chaotic? And if everyone has uber, how can anyone get hurt or push carts? And to that, I have to say SHUTTUP you SCROOGE, it's the HOLIDAYS!

So HOP ON IN and celebrate the HOLIDAYS with TF2! 'YULE' be GLAD you did!

Server: tf2.capthatpoint.com

--Spaceb0y (sent from the north pole)

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know about all this Christmas stuff, but Valve gave me a backpack extender and a Mann of Warr ticket so that's good enough for me! Backpack extender is always the thing I long for most.

Yeah I wonder if Valve even play tested it?

I'm also sure it will get a nerf in the next patch, however with next week being Christmas week who knows if anyone will even be at Valve.

If they just reduced the damage it deals to players while still keeping everything else it should be fine. I'm sure they didn't think about people running around attacking with it just because it's funny.

Yeah I wonder if Valve even play tested it?

I'm also sure it will get a nerf in the next patch, however with next week being Christmas week who knows if anyone will even be at Valve.

I don't want the short circuit nerf we all know is coming, because the short circuit is a fun as hell weapon to use. Running around bug-zapping is the best thing ever; albeit completely unbalanced. I'd rather that Valve have some somewhat less balanced weapons if it means cool ideas that are fun to play (6 jumps as a scout!? Give the guy who thought that up a medal). Shotgun/Short Circuit/Gunslinger is still a hideously effective combination.

jgminto

The short circuit really isn't that great for attacking. You'd never use it over the shotgun when trying to kill someone. The only advantage it has is the ability to rush soldiers. It might be better than the pistol but the pistol is shit.

New strats with Short Circuit: HOLD MOUSE 1 ON CART!

Nothing except bullets and fire is going to stop a push.

Don't you have to pretty much aim at the projectile coming at you? The short circuit got my flare a few times but I still got them or was able to airblast them into a rocket or other projectiles. Idk if it's completely broken in that way but it does make it harder for soldiers to just go "head on" with an engy now if all they have is their rocket launcher.

Now a team of engys in a sentry nest by a dispenser is rough if one (or more) have a Short Circuit. It's almost next to impossible to get through that.

I was more thinking of the rate of fire, (which isn't bad. when looking at a beggar's bazooka) and the damage it deals as oppose to almost being a purely defensive item that protects from projectiles that make it kind of a viable weapon to troll with that makes it frustrating.

If anything it just sorta makes the spy and heavy (ugh) more important when clearing sentry nests when pushing a point. But even then an engy that is using the Short Circuit is forced to make a decision, because he can repair or fire his gun, or deflect projectiles but he can't do all three. (again if there are three engys this makes it rough, but three engys building a sentry-nest is always frustrating)

Blizzard

Banned
I was really bad as gunslinger engineer with it, but I'm always bad with gunslinger. (Thanks to Spaceboy for gifting me some kills by jumping into my mini-sentry or something)

Regarding payload with short circuit, it seemed to make pyro and spy very important on defense, since if no one spychecks or goes heavy on offense, pyros and heavies can easily defend on defense. The short circuit even with the damage buff doesn't do enough to stop pyros running around, especially with medic support.

The other thing it leads to (my case for example) is the huntsman sniper effect -- people playing engineer and spamming the weapon, but hardly ever making any buildings, thus becoming a useless player except for the projectile shield and the occasional point blank damage.

Overall I agree it probably is too effective even though it takes forever to kill with it and I am not sure where exactly the beam does damage. It is SO nice to be able to irritate soldiers and demomen for a change, though. WHERE IS YOUR CRIT ROCKET NOW.

Collete

Those were some entertaining games earlier. Even got a couple of Flying Guillotine kills. Just like old times. =D

...Just like old times...I think you stunned me from afar on Jankyard and got a "home run" and then threw a meat cleaver at me. I had no idea what was happening at that time lol.

Oreoleo

Let's play TF2 today.

i__m_ok_with_this___fluttershy_by_megasweet-d3c6ybn.png

its so big because that's how okay with it i am

Collete

^^^^
And people say I'm a pegasister...

I'm thinking we should try out Guns of Icarus this Saturday.
What say you guys?

Edit: Guns of Icarus is still at a measly 5 bucks if anyone wants to join still.

Collete

We know you're a pegasister because you correctly identified it's from MLP, I had no idea it was from that.

If you say My Little Pony three times fast, Appletini appears on the forum and may/may not come through your computer screen

You looked it up! I didn't look up the term at all!

I said it three times fast, Appletini is not out to get me for not being a pegasister thankfully.

thefro

Tried out the buffed short circuit a bit and it seems like a really great support weapon for the rest of your team more than anything.

On offense on payload it's basically a rolling projectile shield when you're next to the cart. Didn't get a chance to use it offensively against a Level 3 sentry but I'm sure it'd be useful there as a distraction. On defense I was able to hold a choke point just by deflecting all the incoming spam (Rockets, grenades, jarate, pyro flares, etc) going towards my teammates while I let my mini-sentry and the rest of my team do the work.

Of course, you're really vulnerable to Pyros, Spies, Heavies, and Snipers while you use it since the range is pretty short. Scouts can easily run out of range of it and blow you away. I think people have already somewhat adjusted to it and that will continue to happen as people get used to the weapon. The classes that it really hurts (Solider and Demo) have enough health that the Engy's Short Circuit metal will run out before they die.

If you're building a big nest it's obviously a big tradeoff to have a weapon that uses metal, not to mention you can't use it and the wrangler at the same time.

I think it's actually pretty balanced since it can be used against sentries.

Blizzard

Banned
Tried out the buffed short circuit a bit and it seems like a really great support weapon for the rest of your team more than anything.

On offense on payload it's basically a rolling projectile shield when you're next to the cart. Didn't get a chance to use it offensively against a Level 3 sentry but I'm sure it'd be useful there as a distraction. On defense I was able to hold a choke point just by deflecting all the incoming spam (Rockets, grenades, jarate, pyro flares, etc) going towards my teammates while I let my mini-sentry and the rest of my team do the work.

Of course, you're really vulnerable to Pyros, Spies, Heavies, and Snipers while you use it since the range is pretty short. Scouts can easily run out of range of it and blow you away. I think people have already somewhat adjusted to it and that will continue to happen as people get used to the weapon. The classes that it really hurts (Solider and Demo) have enough health that the Engy's Short Circuit metal will run out before they die.

If you're building a big nest it's obviously a big tradeoff to have a weapon that uses metal, not to mention you can't use it and the wrangler at the same time.

I tended to feel this way as well, but of course I'm not very good with it. The main thing I like is that it drives soldiers and demos nuts, but scouts/heavies/pyros/soldier shotguns seemed to counter it quite well.

I never tried defending a nest with it, but I think you'd need at least two engineers to have enough metal, at which point it's probably an annoying nest to begin with.

Proven

Merry Christmas TF2 GAF. I seriously almost reinstalled TF2 after reading about the Conch and Black Box rebalances. But one of my hard drives is shot and the one left had 3 gigs too few. Oh well, maybe after the holidays.

It's not an issue of Demoman and Soldier getting killed by it. The question is if the engineer should even be able to counter rockets and grenades, and the answer is hell no. This "weapon that counters stuff that counters you" thing is getting really old.

Yeef

Engineer being able to shot down a stock demo is pretty backwards. What's extra annoying is that there doesn't seem to be a particle effect on the world model, so it takes a second or two to even realize the engineer is using the short circuit.

Top Bottom