• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
Nothing killed TF2. But TF2 players have died of old age, in the sense that they refused to change with the game.

The game added a lot to it through maps, modes and weapons, yet little by little players fell off. Maybe they couldn't adjust, maybe it was out of their comfort zone, or maybe it was just that it was no longer the newest, most fun thing. Whatever their reasons were, they stuck to them and never came back.

For the most part, I'm willing to bet that the new additions leveled the playing field for the established players versus new ones. Payload missions prevented CTF or CP stalemates, by keeping things in motion. Mini sentries keep the demos and soldiers from dominating the air space. Basically, people couldn't exploit or rule over other players like they used to (oh the cries of nerfing) and therefore TF2 wasn't cool anymore.

Is the game perfect? No. Some things got annoying, the free to play has had an influx of hackers and trolls with too much spare time, and crates/keys/hats maybe doesn't have the charm it used to. But if you truly believe that one game mode or one weapon addition is a reason to stop playing, well, that's all on you. Just realize how ridiculous that sounds.

Lastly, I believe that there are plenty of different servers ideal for each player: No crits, custom maps or stock maps, etc. There are still a lot of filled servers, so clearly there are plenty of players still interested in the game. Once you find a really good server, you will stick with it. And I think that goes for any game.

--SpaceB0y (written from on top of a soap box -- go to tf2.capthatpoint.com to play on a cool server)

It's just coincidence. Dota 2 was the next big free Valve game.

Game just got old for me. 2000 non idle hours means I greatly enjoyed the game. I only play maybe once a month now. Can't aim anymore so I just pester people with constantly moving mini SGs in Hightower.

Bluth54

Actually TF2 has more players now then it's ever had before in any point in it's life, and the player base is growing by 20% per year according to Robin Walker during his Steam Dev days presentation back in January.

Proven

It's just because we played the game for too much of the last seven years. I fully expect there to be a GAF revival on the game's 10th anniversary. Unless Half Life 3 comes out.

If you want TF2-GAF to assemble again, someone needs to post a Steam group event every night!

Persistence is key.

Slowly more and more people start playing again.

At least, that's how I did it last time.

I had to endure so many rounds of Harvest...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Good afternoon, everyone!

I just started playing TF2 on PC a few days ago. I'm a noob but I've played it on the PS3 Orange Box. So far, I seem to be doing the best with the Pyro. Any suggestions for a newbie dumbass like myself?

moojito

Good afternoon, everyone!

I just started playing TF2 on PC a few days ago. I'm a noob but I've played it on the PS3 Orange Box. So far, I seem to be doing the best with the Pyro. Any suggestions for a newbie dumbass like myself?

There are a ton of decent guides on yutube, I've picked up a lot from them.

Pyro with the phlogistinator/flare gun is ridiculously fun once you know some nice flanking routes. Pepper the enemy with the flare gun, get the mmph meter up full, take a shortcut and give the entire team the ol' reacharound. So much fun :D

Darkmakaimura

There are a ton of decent guides on yutube, I've picked up a lot from them.

Pyro with the phlogistinator/flare gun is ridiculously fun once you know some nice flanking routes. Pepper the enemy with the flare gun, get the mmph meter up full, take a shortcut and give the entire team the ol' reacharound. So much fun :D
Funny you mention that since I just got the Flare Gun the other day.

I also just joined the TF2 GAF group on Steam.

Funny you mention that since I just got the Flare Gun the other day.

I also just joined the TF2 GAF group on Steam.

Add some of us up on your steam pals list, we usually end up seeing a few people playing and just kinda all jump into the same server.

I agree with Snacks, try to play all the classes. Even if you enjoy one over the other playing multiple will give you a feel for classes.

Also don't be frustrated! your K:D ratio is sorta meaningless in this game. Helping your team doesn't always translate into kills/points. Just have fun!

Darkmakaimura

Blasphemous question but does TF2 on Steam have controller support and if so, what would be the best controller to use? I'll probably never get used to using the keyboard and I always prefer a controller for games like this.

Sparse

Blasphemous question but does TF2 on Steam have controller support and if so, what would be the best controller to use? I'll probably never get used to using the keyboard and I always prefer a controller for games like this.

Yup.
Code:
exec 360controller.
in the developer console will activate it.
Code:
exec undo360controller.
to deactivate it. A 360 pad is pretty much the standard most people use, and developers code towards.

Darkmakaimura

Yup.
Code:
exec 360controller.
in the developer console will activate it.
Code:
exec undo360controller.
to deactivate it. A 360 pad is pretty much the standard most people use, and developers code towards.
Thanks. I'm going to have to pick one up. Sucks I can't use my current 360 controller on my PC due it to being the wireless one that came with the system.

Sparse

Thanks. I'm going to have to pick one up. Sucks I can't use my current 360 controller on my PC due it to being the wireless one that came with the system.

It's possible to use a wireless one, you just need to get a special dongle (Wireless Gaming Receiver) to make your computer register that type of controller.

Compromise, like i do! Using KB makes my hand ache after so long so i have movement mapped to the left anolog stick, jump on left bumper, duck to left stick button, previous weapon on left trigger and next weapon on mousewheel button. All the precision of the mouse with none of the ache! The only class i have to use the pad exclusively for is spy. Just can't get the config right for him with that setup.

Darkmakaimura

If you can't get used to mouse and keyboard, you'll miss out on a lot of what's in TF2.
It's something I'll never get fully used to when it comes to gaming. Like I said, I know it's blasphemous especially to people who primarily play on PC, but it's just a preference. It's like when I embarrassingly ask for a fork in a sushi restaurant.

It's something I'll never get fully used to when it comes to gaming. Like I said, I know it's blasphemous especially to people who primarily play on PC, but it's just a preference. It's like when I embarrassingly ask for a fork in a sushi restaurant.

I know Quote uses both. If you're friends with him, you should message him. Or add me and I'll put you in touch when I get off work (or if he's reading this he can answer himself), he changes his name on steam alot...

Darkmakaimura

I know Quote uses both. If you're friends with him, you should message him. Or add me and I'll put you in touch when I get off work (or if he's reading this he can answer himself), he changes his name on steam alot...
Cool. When I have the cash sometime, I'll have to snag me a 360 controller that'll work with my PC or one of those dongles mentioned above.

Collete

Well...I said to you guys I'd cosplay as medic and post a picture of it. But guess what? That didn't happen! I realized I only had one week to cosplay as something so I took a shot at doing Scout, was a bit proud of it, was one of my better cosplays.

I didn't have wrapping paper, so didn't do Wrap Assassin or a Winger...So I just got a bat <_<
But I found a beret and went with my El Jefe to look a tad accurate.

It's not a matter of "blasphemy," it's a matter of controllers just being insufficient when it comes to playing scout, soldier, demoman, and sniper.

Yeef

Well...I said to you guys I'd cosplay as medic and post a picture of it. But guess what? That didn't happen! I realized I only had one week to cosplay as something so I took a shot at doing Scout, was a bit proud of it, was one of my better cosplays.

I didn't have wrapping paper, so didn't do Wrap Assassin or a Winger...So I just got a bat <_<
But I found a beret and went with my El Jefe to look a tad accurate.
I don't know if you're Collete or DJ Crimson!

Darkmakaimura

Oh wow, I finally get to see what Collete looks like!

So, anyone know where I can pick up a dirt cheap 360 controller for my PC?

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
Howdy y'all!

The Capthatpoint.com TF2 server has changed locations, and therefore IP addresses. It used to be located in Dallas, TX (West Coast), and is now in Chicago, IL (East Coast). The new IP address is 72.5.195.148, but tf2.capthatpoint.com should still point to that.

However, because the steam server browser still works off of IP addresses rather than domain names, you will need to re-add it to your favorites (which I know you totally already have!) using "tf2.capthatpoint.com". Once that is done, it will update to the new IP address and all will be right again with the world.

I have a couple more changes in store (regarding maps), and hope to implement them soon. Keep checking www.capthatpoint.com for updates.

--SpaceB0y (can't think of something clever to put in here because it's late)

ZealousAjarArctichare.gif

Yeef your autobiographical video game is coming along nicely.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nothing killed TF2.

Is the game perfect? No. Some things got annoying, the free to play has had an influx of hackers and trolls with too much spare time, and crates/keys/hats maybe doesn't have the charm it used to.
There's more annoying stuff and there's wasn't that much new after playing for like 1200 hours.

Now everyone plays Dota.

Top Bottom