• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Woobie

Summer season of comp (both 6s and HL) coming up.
Anyone interested in a low level team for the 'less serious' season? I'll make a team if there's enough interest(no medals for summer though). Wouldn't matter if you're new to competitive, I'm always willing to teach/coach/help in any way.

Maybe it will help some of you dota players climb out of the moba hole.
i hope this tf2 related post doesn't result in everyone needing a hug like the last few

Summer season of comp (both 6s and HL) coming up.
Anyone interested in a low level team for the 'less serious' season? I'll make a team if there's enough interest(no medals for summer though). Wouldn't matter if you're new to competitive, I'm always willing to teach/coach/help in any way.

Maybe it will help some of you dota players climb out of the moba hole.
i hope this tf2 related post doesn't result in everyone needing a hug like the last few

can i just dance around and sing in mumble during matches?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure how many heavies are allowed in the 6's team. =( My dreams of all heavies may not come to pass.

If cool people play it could be cool to play, but I am really bad on the competitive scale of things.

Proven

This would be an excuse to come out of TF2 retirement. I'd be afraid to jump all the way into 6s unless I was Medic or Pocket. Highlander would be fine for any of my usual classes.

I'd be happy to play highlander with you guys if you'd have me. I'm very rusty with TF2 in general right now, but I've been looking for a good opportunity to get back on that horse.

Woobie

Looks like there will be playoffs this summer for the first time.
These are the start/end dates.
The Summer Season of UGC TF2 is almost upon on. Signups for new teams will be open on Sunday April 6th!

HL Preseason Match - Monday May 19th
6s Preseason Match - Wednesday May 21st
4s Preseason Mathc - Friday May 23rd

All 3 leagues will come to a close the week of August 11th.

Blizzard

Banned
Presumably the whole point is only bad people are allowed to play, plus one or two good people to carry us. :p The good people would already be on 6v6 teams I assume?

Not really. The last team we had only had about 4 GAF members and then it imploded, and as far as I know nobody is on any teams right now. And even though I would get to do more on a 6s team, right now I'd rather not play a weird bastardization of TF2 that only acknowledges 5cp and koth.

Anybody want to join me on CapThatPoint? It's so lonely in here....

Edit: I now remember why I stopped playing TF2. Whoever at Valve came up with the mini-sentries concept is worse than Hitler.

Proven

Not really. The last team we had only had about 4 GAF members and then it imploded, and as far as I know nobody is on any teams right now. And even though I would get to do more on a 6s team, right now I'd rather not play a weird bastardization of TF2 that only acknowledges 5cp and koth.

Somehow, your Scout skills made me think you were more supportive of 6s than this post reveals.

Somehow, your Scout skills made me think you were more supportive of 6s than this post reveals.

6s is good scout practice, but Highlander is what competitive TF2 should be. It just came along too late to really be accepted as the "highest level," when 6s was already well-established. And it has a pretty high player count compared to typical competitive FPS, which seems to scare people.

6s is good scout practice, but Highlander is what competitive TF2 should be. It just came along too late to really be accepted as the "highest level," when 6s was already well-established. And it has a pretty high player count compared to typical competitive FPS, which seems to scare people.

I actually really like highlander. It lets Spy and Pyro be generally more fun and crucial. In HL 1 backstab can ruin a push, and for pyro it's really not about points, it's more about area control because denying the uber push or the soldier bombing in, a backstab, etc...man, it's super satisfying. When you play it, you really see the checks and balances of a game more fairly then in 24 person maps. Although I still like playing those modes, and it is good practice in different ways, it's just fundamentally different.

The handful of times I played 6s as scout (I suck at Demo and Soldier) was fun, but yeah it is entirely a different type of beast

Randdalf

Although I never played TFC, 6s is basically the successor to competitive TFC, whilst Highlander is a competitive mode developed from TF2. I definitely think the higher player count plays a part in the perceived "competitiveness" of each mode, smaller teams means matches are easier to organise and communication is less cluttered. Plus, I think the focus on more skill-heavy classes in 6s also plays a part in this.

I'm actually quite surprised that Arena mode never really took off competitively, the fast-paced matches, the small teams and the small but interesting map layouts seem like it would be a perfect fit. I think it's quite a shame that both 6s and Highlander seem to only play a small selection of maps, because I think both formats can become more varied and exciting playing with different game modes. When I played 6s it felt like everyone had the 5CP maps figured out, so it got kind of boring just playing them over and over.

edit: Also I hate all these "pro" versions of maps which play only marginally differently from the original.

Although I never played TFC, 6s is basically the successor to competitive TFC, whilst Highlander is a competitive mode developed from TF2. I definitely think the higher player count plays a part in the perceived "competitiveness" of each mode, smaller teams means matches are easier to organise and communication is less cluttered. Plus, I think the focus on more skill-heavy classes in 6s also plays a part in this.

I'm actually quite surprised that Arena mode never really took off competitively, the fast-paced matches, the small teams and the small but interesting map layouts seem like it would be a perfect fit. I think it's quite a shame that both 6s and Highlander seem to only play a small selection of maps, because I think both formats can become more varied and exciting playing with different game modes. When I played 6s it felt like everyone had the 5CP maps figured out, so it got kind of boring just playing them over and over.

edit: Also I hate all these "pro" versions of maps which play only marginally differently from the original.

There's not much surprising about it. Arena doesn't cater very well to TF2's classes. It makes sniper incredibly powerful and would only further encourage, if not require a campy, uber-centric game. Plus one kritz would decide the entire round.

And it depends on the map. pro barnblitz's only change is adding a new way into the final point, but that makes a huge difference. turbine pro makes the vent actually practical and adds a flanking route that completely changes how you capture the intel. Adding just one new route can completely change the map, considering how chokepoint-heavy and spammy certain maps are.

Bluth54

There's not much surprising about it. Arena doesn't cater very well to TF2's classes. It makes sniper incredibly powerful and would only further encourage, if not require a campy, uber-centric game. Plus one kritz would decide the entire round.

And it depends on the map. pro barnblitz's only change is adding a new way into the final point, but that makes a huge difference. turbine pro makes the vent actually practical and adds a flanking route that completely changes how you capture the intel. Adding just one new route can completely change the map, considering how chokepoint-heavy and spammy certain maps are.

Yeah I feel Arena was really a bad decision (and I think Valve agrees with me, seeing as how they never make Arena maps anymore and don't have Arena in quickplay). Only having one life in TF2 doesn't really feel l like TF2 at all. I'm glad they released KotH mode, which feels like a fixed version of Arena.

I'm also not a huge fan of most pro maps, especially when they change the environment theme. I understand they are changing it to a theme that may give a little FPS boost to people, but I like having a variety of themes in my maps.

I do have to say I do like the change in Barnbliz Pro where they open up the extra way into the last point, I feel the real version of the map could use that change.

Collete

It's my birthday, VALVE PLEASE DROP HATS.

I already said it, but happy belated birthday anyways!

Hey guys, remember that scout cosplay I did?
I was doubting myself if I should have exposed my face or not...So I made this back up photo I forgot to delete.
I found it while I was roaming around my hard drive:

I couldn't find the scout mask at the time, and pyro mask fits me better anyways, so bite me D:<

Bluth54

McVee posted a new update on End of the Line on his Tumblr account:

So we’ve made some good breakthroughs and progress over the last week or 2. Since recent discussions with Valve we’ve settled on a target date to get everything we can finished. This is based on how much longer we expect the video to take. As we get closer to finishing the video itself, we are going to look outside of it to see what other aspects are nearing completion and focus on getting them done. If certain aspects are not to the quality needed for us AND Valve, they will not be going in. Please bare in mind that different people are working on different aspects of the update. So the video team is separate from those working on other parts.

Good to see they have a date in mind, sounds like the video and update are getting close to being done.

Good news: I was totally in the mood tonight, saw the announcement, and was about to join.

Bad news: I forgot I had uninstalled tf2 to make room on my hard drive which I promptly filled with other crap.

Good news: I'm ordering a new compy soon so I'll be joining soon.

Probably.

Blizzard

Banned
Good news: I was totally in the mood tonight, saw the announcement, and was about to join.

Bad news: I forgot I had uninstalled tf2 to make room on my hard drive which I promptly filled with other crap.

Good news: I'm ordering a new compy soon so I'll be joining soon.

Probably.
I joined, but no one else was around. Not even the guavaman was online.

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
Fixed an issue where plugin_load may load a non-binary file type
Fixed an issue where decompressed file sizes were not being checked by the engine
Fixed a client crash related to Unusual items and the character loadout screen
Fixed an item exploit where tools were being used for purposes other than the original intent
Fixed The Shortstop not using its crit sound when firing crits
Fixed the HUD achievement tracker not filtering map-specific achievements
Fixed an issue where character voice lines would be clipped
Fixed disguised Spies losing their disguised cosmetic items when they touch a supply closet
Fixed the HUD 3D Character equipping the wrong item when Spies change their disguised weapon
Fixed the Demoman's shield charge turn rate when using joystick input
Joystick input now matches keyboard/mouse input
Added new promo items
Added ETF2L 6v6 Season 17 and ETF2L Highlander Season 5 medals
Updated the localization files
Updated metal hats to sound like metal when they fall off players' heads
Updated the equip_regions for The Toss-Proof Towel, The Titanium Towel, The Tartan Shade, Marshall's Mutton Chops, Stockbroker's Scarf, The Carl, and The Polar Pullover
Updated cp_dustbowl
Fixed players standing in sky over the beginning of stage 1
Fixed collision on rocks in the front of stage 1 where stickybombs could be placed inside them
Updated cp_junction_final
Players are now prevented from building in spawn rooms
Updated ctf_2fort
Fixed players standing on conduits in flag rooms
Fixed players standing in sky over Red battlements
Fixed a missing face under the stairs in the Blu base ramp room that let players see enemies above
Fixed collision on props under stairs in Red's courtyard
Updated ctf_turbine
Fixed collision on spawn doors
Added prop to facilitate players jumping up to raised platform and fixed surrounding collision
Fixed collision under stairs in mid room
Fixed misc prop collision
Fixed collision on signs in mid room
Fixed the clipping in the rafters of flag rooms
Increased performance with addition of area portals
Added decals under ammo and health packs
Smoothed geometry in the vents
Added nobuild around spawn doors
Added light props over Red and Blu gate 1 doorways
Updated koth_lakeside_event
Updated koth_lakeside_final
Fixed bot navigation errors
Prevented players from building in spawn room doors
Fixed rock piles to mirror on Red and Blu sides
Updated pl_goldrush
Fixed players shooting projectiles through the window in the mining tower into Red's first spawn and Blu's second spawn
Fixed players standing in sky above Blu spawn in stage 3
Fixed player clipping exploit above the Blu exit in stage 3

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's so much goddamn trouble to get some killstreaks stuff and I can't find people that can play for shit. It's getting frustrating.

Blizzard

Banned
Without badges I'm not super interested, but I would try the 6's team if there's room.

On a personal note, I got a 25-key MIDI keyboard controller, which is pretty neat. But, now I feel like I'm expected to find some way to play Team Fortress 2 with it. :p

rip
1cILvM5.jpg

leroidys

Without badges I'm not super interested, but I would try the 6's team if there's room.

On a personal note, I got a 25-key MIDI keyboard controller, which is pretty neat. But, now I feel like I'm expected to find some way to play Team Fortress 2 with it. :p

Pfft that's practically cheating. Try playing with a rockband drum kit.

Top Bottom