• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Bluth54

I also like Steel a lot, I wish we had more maps like it (the only one I know of is the community ma Upland). It does take awhile to get used to it, I can understand why people don't like it the first few times they play.

Clydefrog

capturea0f5d.png

capture2uhf48.png

Did they patch out the exploit that lets you equip certain item combos (eg Safe n Sound + Earbuds)? I forgot how I did it but I'm keeping it on one my Engie loadouts. I'm just afraid I'll get hit by that random bug that unequips a misc slot.

Bluth54

New blog post: The Mann Co Factory Floor

It's a blog post about some of the terrible weapon ideas the TF2 team has come up with and play tested, as well as one idea that turned out good and seems like we'll be getting in a future update.

The new solider weapon does sound interesting, I look forward to seeing exactly how it works in game.

Proven

New blog post: The Mann Co Factory Floor

It's a blog post about some of the terrible weapon ideas the TF2 team has come up with and play tested, as well as one idea that turned out good and seems like we'll be getting in a future update.

The new solider weapon does sound interesting, I look forward to seeing exactly how it works in game.

A weapon that let's you move slowly in the air like a sitting duck while firing rockets from afar. You could probably pair it with the Cow Mangler to get fully charged shots off easily in mid air. It would probably replace your secondary weapon which means it'll be like the Gunboats in its ability to reduce falling damage. Actually does sound fun.

Also had a moment where I imagined ubered spawn camping facestabbing Spies.

Bluth54

A weapon that let's you move slowly in the air like a sitting duck while firing rockets from afar. You could probably pair it with the Cow Mangler to get fully charged shots off easily in mid air. It would probably replace your secondary weapon which means it'll be like the Gunboats in its ability to reduce falling damage. Actually does sound fun.

Yeah I wonder if maybe you will get some sort of damage resistance while using the parachute since if it slows you down you will be pretty easy to hit/kill.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah I wonder if maybe you will get some sort of damage resistance while using the parachute since if it slows you down you will be pretty easy to hit/kill.
What classes can kill midair targets though?

1. Scouts, no (scattergun spread) unless they have a ton of time with the pistol or something, and no one else murders them.

2. Soldiers, yes but only if they're amazing airgun shots, or carrying the reserve shooter (MAYBE ordinary shotgun too, but I would assume the spread would be too much at long range).

3. Pyros, maybe. If they're good with the flare or have a shotgun they might do some damage.

4. Demomen, no, unless they get super lucky airbursts or pipe bombs.

5. Heavies yes, but only if they have time to sit and shoot into the air for a while, since the spread will be huge at long distance, and snipers/spies/anyone will just murder the heavy while they try this.

6. Engineers yes with sentry guns, but soldiers wouldn't be jumping near sentries. With shotguns, maybe, but again the spread might be too much.

7. Medics, unlikely. They might poke a bit with a crossbow or needles.

8. Snipers, yes.

9. Spies, yes if they are great shots with the pistol or ambassador.

I don't really feel like being midair is very vulnerable, unless people are actually really good players or something. :p

Also had a moment where I imagined ubered spawn camping facestabbing Spies.

An Ubered Spy?
Man, I need to go lie down.

Bluth54

What classes can kill midair targets though?

1. Scouts, no (scattergun spread) unless they have a ton of time with the pistol or something, and no one else murders them.

2. Soldiers, yes but only if they're amazing airgun shots, or carrying the reserve shooter (MAYBE ordinary shotgun too, but I would assume the spread would be too much at long range).

3. Pyros, maybe. If they're good with the flare or have a shotgun they might do some damage.

4. Demomen, no, unless they get super lucky airbursts or pipe bombs.

5. Heavies yes, but only if they have time to sit and shoot into the air for a while, since the spread will be huge at long distance, and snipers/spies/anyone will just murder the heavy while they try this.

6. Engineers yes with sentry guns, but soldiers wouldn't be jumping near sentries. With shotguns, maybe, but again the spread might be too much.

7. Medics, unlikely. They might poke a bit with a crossbow or needles.

8. Snipers, yes.

9. Spies, yes if they are great shots with the pistol or ambassador.

I don't really feel like being midair is very vulnerable, unless people are actually really good players or something. :p

I guess it sort of depends on how much it's going to slow you down. I guess if it's only slightly slower then normal rocket jumping it wouldn't be an issue.

Blizzard

Banned
My post was probably ignorant and oversimplified, but I guess the short version is that any class which sits around for several seconds shooting UPWARDS into the air is likely to die horribly without seeing what's coming to kill them.

Snipers would be the main exception of course because of the burst damage, the range, and the lack of spread.

I know plenty of demomen that can 'nade rocket jumping soldiers clean out of the air, I too land those hits quite often. A target floating down would be even easier to hit.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
And here I honestly thought they were done making new weapons.

Blizzard

Banned
I know plenty of demomen that can 'nade rocket jumping soldiers clean out of the air, I too land those hits quite often. A target floating down would be even easier to hit.
There are theoretically people who know how to aim as scout too, and soldiers who know how to navigate rocket jump trick maps, but since I can't do either of those things myself I consider them vaguely mythical, along the lines of the abominable snowman.

Proven

There are theoretically people who know how to aim as scout too, and soldiers who know how to navigate rocket jump trick maps, but since I can't do either of those things myself I consider them vaguely mythical, along the lines of the abominable snowman.

I'm just worried that if the actual average skill level of TF2 makes it so that they have to give the Soldier marked-for-death status while the parachute is deployed in the air, I'll find it useless for playing with friends.

Sianos

It would be interesting to see how the parachute works with more horizontal rocket jumps such as speedpogos and how the parachute affects airstrafing. This could be a very interesting tool for mobility.

Collete

If this parachute thing does get added, then maybe jump maps will not be impossible for me after all!
those sharp turns kill me on jump maps...

Randdalf

If this parachute thing does get added, then maybe jump maps will not be impossible for me after all!
those sharp turns kill me on jump maps...

I used to play jump maps pretty frequently with a team mate who was very into them; some of the stuff he could do was amazing. So strafing in the air is just something I just do unconsciously now. I was just playing today and I haven't played much at all in the last year, but it's still all there. I'm just very rusty with the old aiming though, I spent a while playing mainly Sniper and was rivaling the best Sniper on the server I frequented, but I'm absolutely terrible now.

Top Bottom