• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
Going around corners (airstrafing?) is one of my absolute biggest soldier confusing things. I throw the mouse all sorts of ways and press all sorts of buttons, but I feel like it's supposed to be some sort of weirdly big smooth motion.

I've been wondering, how's the new Sodapopper stack up to the Force-a-Nature and Scattergun. I know it does a bit less damage than the FaN, but I'm wondering if the faster reload and not having your opponent get blasted away (and thereby increasing the second shot's damage) makes up for it.

Bluth54

Just an FYI there's going to be a TF2 update today (it was going to be yesterday but Valve decided to delay it to today). Hopefully they'll start dropping crates for the summer update in the update since they've already added badges pages for the summer trading cards.

Just an FYI there's going to be a TF2 update today (it was going to be yesterday but Valve decided to delay it to today). Hopefully they'll start dropping crates for the summer update in the update since they've already added badges pages for the summer trading cards.

Donhonk was uploading some new hats and stuff today, so I'm sure we'll see a post from him soon.

Fuck yeah, localization files!

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released:
Fixed item descriptions for Strange scores not appearing to update
Fixed a bug where damage dealt and healing done Strange scores would stop incrementing
Fixed an exploit where teleporters could build up a large amount of health
Fixed a bug where premium accounts would temporarily appear to revert to free status
Fixed deflected rocket explosion sounds playing repeatedly
Fixed deflected Black Box rockets not giving health to the Pyro
Fixed being able to apply the Strange Part: Buildings Destroyed tool to the Flying Guillotine
Fixed several cosmetic items not cloaking properly for the Spy
Added the AsiaFortress Cup Season 7 medals
Community Request: Added SetCustomUpgradesFile input to the gamerules entity to allow servers to specify a different upgrades file
Updated the localization files
Updated the Eureka Effect
Can now pickup buildings
Repair and upgrade rates have been decreased
Can teleport to your spawn room or your Teleporter Exit

Fixed deflected Black Box rockets not giving health to the Pyro

b0e.gif

Bluth54

Edit: Also it wasn't in the patch notes, but apparently the Gunslinger got a buff and it only costs 70 metal to build a dispenser. Not sure if that's a glitch or intended since it's not in the patch notes.

A bunch of interesting things were found in the update today.

First off is that taunts are getting slots, you are going to be able to equip up to 8 taunts at a time. Makes sense with taunts coming to the workshop.

Next up is bread. Valve has been teasing bread for a long time (since the secret Lecture Valley page last April Fools Day) and they added bread models to the game that will act as weapons (though exactly how they are going to work is hard to say). These bread models they added:

Apparently the bread now occasionally spawns when using a teleporter.

There are also references to a bread monster in the code (possibly related to these bread weapons).

A long time ago the list of dialog Valve was planning for the 15 minute TF2 video they are working on got leaked in an update to SFM, and it included references to bread and a breadmonster, so we may be getting a long video from Valve with this update.

Other new things/code found in the update:

Moonbase
CTF(?) Mode with a power supply flag (models/props_moonbase/powersupply_flag.mdl )
Force fields

Unknown stuff
Kill combos
m_iMiniBombCounter
rd_team_score_bar
rd_team_score_intel
m_DeltaRedRobotScoreColor
m_DeltaBlueRobotScoreColor
resource/UI/notifications/notify_rd_robot_attacked_red.res
resource/UI/notifications/notify_rd_robot_attacked_blue.res

Rd = new gamemode?

New possible weapons
Tranquilizer (m_flSpyTranqBuffDuration)
Breadmonster Jarate
Throwing knife
Conc grenade
Teleport grenade
models/weapons/c_models/c_balloon_default.mdl
TF_WEAPON_SNIPERRIFLE_CLASSIC

Soldier land
Air strike
Mortar
Parachute

New attributes
mod_air_control attribute
a weapon that increases clip size on kill
mult_dmg_with_reduced_health
mult_postfiredelay_with_reduced_health
kill_combo_fire_rate_boost
mod_flamethrower_spinup_time

Mini rockets?

not even talking about bread stuff

edit: more in
#ItemSel_UTILITY Utility items
m_bCritOnHardHit (Special death type)
You can use parachute with sourcemod
next_disguise, prev_disguise
TF_WEAPON_SNIPERRIFLE_CLASSIC
mod_flamethrower_spinup_time
back_headshot
air_jump_on_attack
mult_sniper_charge_per_sec
mult_sniper_charge_per_sec_with_enemy_under_crossh air
sniper_beep_with_enemy_under_crosshair
sniper_crit_no_scope
sniper_penetrate_players_when_charged

Also someone found this line of code in the new update:
_GLOBAL__sub_I_tf_logic_robot_destruction_cpp

Apparently the new game mode RD is called Robot Destruction. Maybe a reverse MVM? Maybe something new entirely?

Looks like we're about to get a fairly major update.

Proven

Edit: Also it wasn't in the patch notes, but apparently the Gunslinger got a buff and it only costs 70 metal to build a dispenser. Not sure if that's a glitch or intended since it's not in the patch notes.

If I was still playing this would be one of my favorite updates ever.

Bluth54

Second update:

Fixed a client crash caused by failing to properly parse the item schema
Fixed not being able to equip The Director's Vision taunt in the Action slot
Fixed not being able to taunt with the Spy's disguise kit
Fixed the Engineer's build menu staying open after changing class
Fixed being charged the incorrect amount of metal for a Dispenser when The Gunslinger is equipped
Updated the description of The High Five! Taunt to better describe the new toggle behavior
Updated the materials for The Eureka Effect HUD to support mat_picmip

Looks like the dispenser costing 70 metal with the Gunslinger was a glitch. Kind of a strange glitch, maybe Valve is working on a mini-dispenser for the upcoming update?

I highly favor offensive Engie over defensive Engie, but mini Dispensers sound pointless unless it worked differently. Like, if you can throw it to build it, or if it quickly dispenses but also quickly runs out. Lv1 dispensers are already very slow.

"Flamethrower spin-up"

This interests me.

Also, bread weapons? I bet each class gets one as a melee weapon. Hm...
Spy gets baguette, Pyro gets the burnt toast, Sniper gets the bread ration.
There are 9 in that picture, a perfect match!

Bluth54

I highly favor offensive Engie over defensive Engie, but mini Dispensers sound pointless unless it worked differently. Like, if you can throw it to build it, or if it quickly dispenses but also quickly runs out. Lv1 dispensers are already very slow.

I think a mini dispenser the engie wears on his back that slowly heals and supplies ammo to teammates and replaces his secondary weapon and/or maybe the normal dispenser could be interesting. Maybe have it work at about the rate of a level 1 dispenser (probably more slowly on the engineer himself).

"Flamethrower spin-up"

This interests me.

Also, bread weapons? I bet each class gets one as a melee weapon. Hm...
Spy gets baguette, Pyro gets the burnt toast, Sniper gets the bread ration.
There are 9 in that picture, a perfect match!

Apparently the bread weapons may be thrown weapons, though it's hard to say exactly what they do at this point. I do agree it will probably be one per class, though I bet the solider gets the bread ration.

Rations seem like a Soldier thing, but Sniper is the one that actually camps out in hideouts and whatnot for long time periods.

I thought the marbled rye was sniper since it looks like an archery target.
Ration is clearly soldier
Pretzel is Medic
Pumpernickel makes me think of Heavy
Cornbread is Engineer
White bread is Scout
Burnt toast is Pyro
Crumpet/English muffin is Demo
Baguette is Spy

Lotto

I'm veritably hyped. I haven't played in ages but I still have a special place for TF2 in my heart. Can't wait for all the shenanigans. Also love how each type of bread corresponds to a class.

Bluth54

The creators of the Lil' Guardian Pyro posted an AMA today. One interesting bit of information:
Right now our production team is coming together to make a trailer to get the community inspired for a tentative TF2 Community Update. Hopefully it'll be finished and coming out soon!

Looks like we may be getting another community created update for TF2 besides End of the Line in the future which is cool.

Also another interesting piece of information:
There is a pretty large TF2 team, we filled a 32 player server with the team to playtest an unreleased map. ;)
There were 6 of them so that means the TF2 team is at least 26 people, more then I would of though at this point (I though it was more around 10-12 people).

commissar

Bluth54 said:
Also another interesting piece of information:
There were 6 of them so that means the TF2 team is at least 26 people, more then I would of though at this point (I though it was more around 10-12 people).
The most obvious conclusion is they're migrating TF2 to Source 2.0 :D!

Bluth54

The most obvious conclusion is they're migrating TF2 to Source 2.0 :D!

Yeah I think TF2 moving to Source 2 seems pretty likely. I doubt Valve is going to stop doing TF2 updates anytime soon, since if they did it would probably cause the economy to crash, and people to be less likely to participate in the economy of any of their other games so they don't want that to happen.

Moving TF2 to source 2 would probably make things easier for the TF2 team moving forward from a development standpoint, and honestly probably cause TF2 to run better on most people's computers since the current Source engine it runs on is more CPU bound and Source 2 will probably be more GPU bound like most game engines.

I hope they also port SFM and fix some bugs. There's some annoying bug with it that causes animations to spazz out when using the graph editor.

corn_fest

Was this image ever deconfirmed? If not, it does point to TF2 getting ported to Source 2 along with L4D2, Dota, and CS:GO.

It'd be pretty cool if the TF comics and these impending updates were leading up to a relaunch of the game on Source 2 as TF2.5 or something. I'd love to get back into it, but the community's died down substantially.

Was this image ever deconfirmed?

No, it was by the same source who posted the L4D2 Source 2 slides.

Also it could just mean Valve are experimenting with older games on Source 1 to see Source 2's capabilities, limits and aren't porting them totally over it.

Would be cool though. CS:GO especially needs some refresh imo. TF2 and Dota 2 still look fine, though they can have performance issues.

corn_fest

Also it could just mean Valve are experimenting with older games on Source 1 to see its capabilities, limits and aren't porting them totally over.

Good point. Porting games to new engines does seem to be Valve's thing, though, given how many games got GoldSrc -> Source ports. I guess it's a good way to get acquainted with a new engine.

Those games weren't as big though. They didn't have all these services, cosmetics tied to them. Again, I'm not sure how a migration to the next engine would affect them. The last thing Valve'd want is to break the games and fragment the community.

Top Bottom