• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

we just need a list of good TF2 servers. No instant respawn, no 32 players, no lol4chanmemebullshit map rotation, no 100% crits, no 2Fort, no Hightower, ya know.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
we just need a list of good TF2 servers. No instant respawn, no 32 players, no lol4chanmemebullshit map rotation, no 100% crits, no 2Fort, no Hightower, ya know.

Hmmm. Do you people visit CapThatPoint? It meets all of your requirements for above (although hightower may occasionally show up in a vote).

Here's a list of the server settings:

server address: tf2.capthatpoint.com

Round time (mp_timelimit): 35min
Max rounds (mp_maxrounds): 2
CTF Caps to win (tf_flag_caps_per_round): 3
Random Crits (tf_weapon_criticals): Off (0)
Fixed weapon spreads (tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads): On (1)
Weapon damage spread (tf_damage_disablespread): Off (1)

Replays: Enabled

(Some maps have more than 2 rounds, like KOTH, and some map times are extended based on that map)

The biggest problem it seems to have (aside from NSQuote abuse) is that it's pretty empty, because people aren't playing on it. Seems like a circular problem to me.

I had some guy on a server explode about how demo was practically useless now cause of the sticky change. I get how it's different but like plenty of folks are doing just fine with demo still.

Randdalf

demos will just have to learn to hit pipes now

or go demoknight that's clearly the way Valve is pushing why deny it

let Gaben in breh

You just need to be more accurate with your stickies if you're playing the offensive sticky launcher style, you can't just throw them in a general area any more.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks to Artful Dodger and some random L.I.N.C.O.L.N. player who traded me ingredients for the B.A.S.E. jumper. It is everything I hoped it would be. The max clip size for the Air Strike is 8 but that is still plenty of rockets for shooting at things.

The only downside is that quickfix medics don't glide too. They need to update quick fix so they get pogo etc. jumps and can ride along for all jump maps, plus glide with the parachute. :p

thefro

Played some this afternoon, like the changes in the update a lot.

I'm better at aiming pipes than spamming sticky bombs so the nerf makes me a better Demoman than before.

The Solider's parachute was kind of annoying for Hightower but it makes them a pretty easy target with how slowly they move.

All the whiny demomen on tf2 got through...

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
Reverted the recent stickybomb damage ramp up change. We will continue to evaluate the use of stickybomb air detonations and potential changes to that mechanic.
Fixed being able to taunt with enemies between spawn room doors
Fixed a problem with The Senguko Scorcher's materials
Updated the Towering Pillar of Summer Shades so they are marketable
Updated the attribute description for the Back Scatter to better explain what it does
Updated the localization files

Alienups

A nerf is in order but not to the extent of what Valve did so i'm happy with this. Something needs to happen in the future though. Giving stickies a blast radius ramp-up could work i think (don't remember where i read that idea). So you cant throw a sticky down, det it immediately and wipe out a team. You'd have to actually aim a bit and make sure the sticky is right on top of your target.

I swear Pyros have never been nerfed since the game came out. They had it coming.

They were definitely nerfed in the very early days.

Edit: For some reason I went patch hunting on the wiki.

It wasn't until 2010 he got an actual nerf to the normal flamethrower:

April 28, 2010 Patch
Flamethrower direct damage reduced by 20%.
Burn duration reduced (10 -> 6 seconds).

Although looking ahead over the next few months he ended up mostly getting all of that back piecemeal.

The Backburner is probably what I was thinking about because they removed the extra health it gave and some other nonsense ('08) and then upped the ammo for airblast by a ton ('11).

So I was mostly wrong.

Hmmm, all I remember was Pyros complaining about being useless against long range people which prompted them to add the airblast.

Those people are dumb, that's the point of the pyro :p

Randdalf

They were definitely nerfed in the very early days.

Hmmm, all I remember was Pyros complaining about being useless against long range people which prompted them to add the airblast.

SteveWinwood said:
The Backburner is probably what I was thinking about because they removed the extra health it gave and some other nonsense ('08) and then upped the ammo for airblast by a ton ('11).

Does anybody even use the Backburner nowadays? Pyro is I think my least-played class.

Yeef

The backburner is awesome. Especially in tandem with the back scratcher and shot gun. It's hard to lose medium to close range encounters with that setup so long as you stay relatively close to health packs.

I really wish Valve would overhaul the HUD at this point. Custom HUDs are nice and all, but some common features between them are that they center relevant information and show exact health numbers when IDing people and buildings, so why not officially incorporate that by now? The letterboxing while spectating really serves no purpose either, and if you redeemed the Rift ticket you still have an out of place button tacked onto your main menu that directs you to a three year old redemption code that no longer even works.

Having official crosshair outline support would be nice too, so you don't have to do any HUD crosshair overlay fiddling. CS:GO allows for that and allows you to squish the HUD closer together if that's how you like it, so I really want that incorporated into TF2.

From what I see, Degreaser <=> Phlog > FT > BB > Rainblower.

Degreaser is generally the best. It gives you the most flexibility all around.

Folks that use Phlog cause its ridiculous and you can amass kills with it fairly mindlessly, BB isn't as good as the FT but I've seen people use it devastatingly especialyl cause some of those people are good at reflecting and alotta people aren't expecting that when they come against the Backburner.

Rainblower is for cosmetics and takes up half the screen.

Blizzard

Banned
demos arent an issue

heavies were

and minisentries are

demos are whatever
I thought demos have been one of, if not THE, most powerful class in the game since release.

Back at release, there wasn't even airblast to help against them. You just died, and cried a little to yourself while you respawned.

And now their charging is even better and the stickies are back to normal. :p And the axetinguisher/degreaser combo got nerfed -- a nerf for one of the classes that can try to counter the demo.

Back then, Grenade Launcher's clip size was 6. Pills also exploded on contact even after bouncing. The idea was that you could get 1337 hits by bouncing them off walls (like in Meet the Demo). People just rolled grenades across the floor ("grenade bowling").

Demo has always been the most power class due to their damage and versatility. Highest DPS, generally fastest rollout, area denial, can deal with every class fairly well.

I thought demos have been one of, if not THE, most powerful class in the game since release.

Back at release, there wasn't even airblast to help against them. You just died, and cried a little to yourself while you respawned.

And now their charging is even better and the stickies are back to normal. :p And the axetinguisher/degreaser combo got nerfed -- a nerf for one of the classes that can try to counter the demo.

I find I get my ass kicked the least when playing Demoman.
If you can somewhat aim and bounce pills somewhere towards enemies, you'll do just fine.

Bluth54

I think a better nerf to the sticky launcher would be a blast radius ramp up, have it start at maybe 40-50% of it's full blast radius when fired and ramp up to 100% after maybe 2-3 seconds.

Sianos

The sticky nerf was a bit drastic, I'm glad to see Valve's responsiveness on the nerf and the fact that they plan to find a more suitable nerf to achieve superior balance.

very thankful they didn't revert the heavy nerfs :>

no see this is counterbalanced from player skill

demos not the easiest thing to play well

its okay to have something grossly powerful as long as its grossly difficult to pull off

mini sentries are set it and forget it where a 2 year old could do it

and literal monkeys could ruin a server with a heavy

why they needed nerfs

they did too much with too little bother

Degreaser/Axtinguisher combo is not the counter for demo a pyro would use. A pill to the face would instantly stop that idea. Degreaser and flare is usually the best way to stop a demo cause they'll die almost instantly, and if not, give it a moment and they will.

The reasoning behind the nerf I guess was the mid-air sticky detonation, which makes sense, sometimes that's bullshit and there's no way to counter that. It didn't piss me off too much either cause very few demos are actually able to do that effectively and consistently.

Also I agree. Minis are the devil. At least now you can take them out while they're being constructed, haha glad they fixed that "glitch"

Also...

tumblr_inline_miadyeIJuf1qz4rgp.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Degreaser/Axtinguisher combo is not the counter for demo a pyro would use. A pill to the face would instantly stop that idea. Degreaser and flare is usually the best way to stop a demo cause they'll die almost instantly, and if not, give it a moment and they will.
That's the point though. The nerf to axtinguisher is an indirect degreaser downside because it means pyros may run a different axe instead. With a different axe, there's less reason to run degreaser unless you're purely aiming for more airblasts and less damage.

That's the point though. The nerf to axtinguisher is an indirect degreaser downside because it means pyros may run a different axe instead. With a different axe, there's less reason to run degreaser unless you're purely aiming for more airblasts and less damage.

Um...Not really. The Homewrecker let's to stop sappers so that makes the pyro better all around for sentry defense especially on defense.

and the Powerjack (which many degreaser pyros run anyways) increases speed and gets health on a kill so it's pretty cool to have an instant switch too.

The Axtinguisher was largely redundant with the flare. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get what it does by changing that up. I just wish the Neon Annihilator was useful.

Also the degreaser/flare combo is devastating. you can airblast switch to flare and get that mini crit before most players know what hit them, or hit them with a flare and switch back to degreaser to reflect spam.

Degreaser all around is the best pyro weapon.

i never said they were uncounterable

just that they were the easiest thing to squeeze an unfair amount of results out of

Yeah, my biggest complain about it, is it yields the greatest rewards for the littlest amount of work. At least a phlog you have to build up damage and survive long enough, a lvl 3 you have to build up and maintain (and spycheck, and not yell at pyros to do it).

Minis were designed by Gaben to prevent too much fun from being had on TF2.

Blizzard

Banned
Um...Not really. The Homewrecker let's to stop sappers so that makes the pyro better all around for sentry defense especially on defense.

and the Powerjack (which many degreaser pyros run anyways) increases speed and gets health on a kill so it's pretty cool to have an instant switch too.

The Axtinguisher was largely redundant with the flare. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get what it does by changing that up. I just wish the Neon Annihilator was useful.

Also the degreaser/flare combo is devastating. you can airblast switch to flare and get that mini crit before most players know what hit them, or hit them with a flare and switch back to degreaser to reflect spam.

Degreaser all around is the best pyro weapon.
Why didn't they nerf degreaser instead of axetinguisher then? o_O

I just realized how much TF2 discussion is actually happening here these days! Whoa.

Also, I have an itch to play some MvM sometime. If someone starts a game, holla!

Why didn't they nerf degreaser instead of axetinguisher then? o_O

Cause Degreaser is a solid weapon. I think the idea behind nerfing the Axtinguisher is cause it's generally thought of as a "free-kill", if you can close in to get that melee hit 9 times out of 10 they're going to die (unless it's a heavy or somebody overhealed).

I just realized how much TF2 discussion is actually happening here these days! Whoa.

Also, I have an itch to play some MvM sometime. If someone starts a game, holla!

Artistdude...Parachute Zatoichi or Caber fights... We need to do this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Once you get good at demo you realize you need to aim stickies to team wipe instead of just kill 2 or 3 people, come one it's not that bad.
AoE ramp seems fine to me over 1-2 seconds.

Heavies are garbage tier just shoot 4 pills into them, easy.

Bluth54

And just think, there are at least 4 more (hopefully) big updates this year, the Moonbase update, End of the Line, Halloween and Christmas. I've also heard talk of a possible second community created update this year (one of the Lil Guardian Pyro guys have said they are making a video for it) so it seems like we're in for a pretty good year for TF2.

Yeef

The last community update was pretty boring, because I don't care about cosmetics anymore. End of the Line having weapons (and probably a map) makes me happy, as does the moonbase one.

Top Bottom