• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Bluth54

The last community update was pretty boring, because I don't care about cosmetics anymore. End of the Line having weapons (and probably a map) makes me happy, as does the moonbase one.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed in Robotic Boogaloo too, but from what some of the people who worked on Robotic Boogaloo have said they wanted to include a map in the update but Valve insisted that it was cosmetics only. Robotic Boogaloo was basically just a test for the new item importer, as well as seeing if the community could handle making an update on their own (the community did everything including the update page, video and comic that came with the update), so it was an important first step in getting something like End of the Line which is going to have gameplay affecting content.

I haven't heard much about this second community update, other then the Lil Guardian Pyro team is working on a video for it, and it will probably have weapons so I'm guessing all future community update will probably have gameplay affecting content because people will be pretty disappointed if didn't have gameplay affecting content like maps and weapons.

My personal hope is End of the Line (and this second community update) people are working on turns out to be a big success and we see 1-2 community updates to TF2 a year to go along with Valve updates.

Maffis

Aww yeah, they un-nerfed the Demoman for now. Glad they realized their mistake of completely breaking him in high-level play. I just hope that their new "fix" that they're planning is a bit smarter.

Blizzard

Banned
Aww yeah, they un-nerfed the Demoman for now. Glad they realized their mistake of completely breaking him in high-level play. I just hope that their new "fix" that they're planning is a bit smarter.
I'd like to see something that adjusts high-level play, if nothing else so that people are forced to change things up a lot and learn new powers.

It's more that it effortlessly shuts out Pyros and Scouts and single handedly destroys KOTH as a mode. I don't believe anyone honestly has fun playing KOTH now unless they're that jerk plopping minis.

DING DING DING DING DING

i didnt want to be the one to say that it really only effects scouts and pyros aka the two best classes

Sianos

Minis are the fun cap of TF2, KOTH in particular: if people are having too much fun, someone will switch to minis to screw with movement (particularly advanced movement techs) and zoning with minimal effort. Bonus points if they can't aim their shotgun at all and are free kills once you interrupt their rapid deployment of minis (and 95% of these players can't aim their shotguns and fall under the category of "bad").

Typically I'll end up counterpicking to a utilitarian Soldier to play the role of a trash collector cleaning up after the mini sentry littering. Ironically Soldier is my own minimal effort -> maximal reward class, but I feel like cleaning up mini spam is a situation worthy of the counterpick.

Pyro is a terrible class

I'm glad the bazooka still exists in its current form to deal with Pyros (and especially counterpick Pyros). The way the loading mechanics work make it easy to camouflage when you intend to shoot and proper angling makes it difficult for them to consistently reflect multiple rockets out of a barrage in such a way to damage you.

In fact, the bazooka is my favorite weapon to use against those players who so aggressively chase kills. Nothing like retreating behind a corner, then decimating anyone foolish enough to chase out of position. The bazooka really punishes poor positioning and its weakness in 1v1 fights with people who understand proper positioning is mitigated by the ability to typically jump away and then zone the enemy out with some quick barrages.

Of course, the typical bazooka play since the nerfs boils down to zoning with rocket spam, but sometimes the trump card needs to be played, even if it isn't really exciting for me.

Proven

*shrug* The way people feel about minis on KOTH maps is the way I feel about Snipers. Minis at least have a range cap and are naturally dealt with if you bring a slightly rounded team (Soldier/Demo/Medic). But I'm also not the type of person to rely much at all on skill as a balancing factor.

I don't understand teams sometimes. When I play demo or a soldier, I usually target minis first, and gunslinger engys for that reason. In my mind, they're the most dangerous class, just because dropping that mini is free damage and even if it doesn't yield a kill, it usually gets an assist or will chip away at the team. Minis usually frustrate me more when my team doesn't target them or gunslinger engys right away.

Snipers annoy me, but for the same reason. Letting a sniper sit unfettered is devastating to a team. I usually try to destroy both as quick as possible as they seem to be the most devastating on a consistent basis if left unchecked.

As much as I hate minis, that's just a personal thing cause I play scoot and pyro and those are direct counters to those classes. I've also played with great teams that destroy them immediately and they're negligible in terms of how much damage they do. Playing with other people on teams is a funny thing for that reason. You can have a team click and do all the right things only for them to fall apart next round.

Yeef

I use minis to police a server when the players can't police themselves. Playing against 3 scouts in a 5 on 5 game isn't fun. Changing to engineer and shitting out minis until one or two of those scouts change to a different class works great for that. Then I can change back to the class I actually want to play, whatever that may be at the time.

Proven

I should also mention that 100% the only reason I ever started playing Soldier was because of Snipers. Before that I was Medic > Pyro > Engineer only.

Randdalf

I've been trading scrap through http://scrap.tf/ for the last hour or so, really good system if a little bit shaky when Steam is under heavy load as it is now. I've nearly caught up and gotten all the weapons that came out in the last few years that I never got my hands on. I'll probably have to wait a while longer to get some of the new ones (I crafted a BASE Jumper) but I've pretty much only got 4/5 left to get now and my list was massive before.

Minis are pretty much the only way to enjoy Engineer on some maps. Long live minis.

I played Dustbowl the other day as a vanilla Engineer. Man, the old school sentry nests are taken down so easily now. I remember when Dustbowl 2-2 used to be an impenetrable fortress of sentries, but people play so selfishly nowadays (because of F2P) that a single soldier can just take down a level 3 whilst the rest of your team deathmatches. I hope they add matchmaking or something, because tryhard TF2 (co-ordinated pushes, defense, etc.) is a lot more interesting than pub TF2.

Blizzard

Banned
I use minis to police a server when the players can't police themselves. Playing against 3 scouts in a 5 on 5 game isn't fun. Changing to engineer and shitting out minis until one or two of those scouts change to a different class works great for that. Then I can change back to the class I actually want to play, whatever that may be at the time.
This is a good policy. It's hard to tell who is serious and who is joking when they complain about various things, but 3 scouts in a 5v5, or "advanced movement techs" / very powerful soldiers and demomen with few things that can counter them, are not very fun unless you are the people using that power.

Anything that can irritate good demo/soldier/scout players seems to me potentially beneficial for the game being fun as a whole, since there are 6 other classes and it shouldn't boil down to catering to 3 that are especially powerful and mobile in skilled hands.

This is also kind of why I wish they had stuck with the demo nerfs, to force the competitive players to switch their mindset up a bit and possibly try different classes, loadouts, and/or unban some other weapons. More variety and less stuck-in-a-rut stuffs.
Minis are pretty much the only way to enjoy Engineer on some maps. Long live minis.
This is also a good point. It is similar to how I finally discovered that vaccinator medic is one of the only ways for me to semi-enjoy hightower as a medic. With almost anything else, even quickfix to try to rocketjump with soldiers, you are likely to die with no chance of uber, or spend most of your time hiding in spawn while you charge.

Oh god I am so so so bad at this game now. I don't know what I expected, only playing a handful of times in the last 2 years. I can manage on the Valve servers but on servers like Lion's Den with half-decent players I just get destroyed.

Randdalf

I'm amazed at how well crafted all these TF2 trading sites and robots are, they don't just work well, they're well made too.

Almost makes me want to make a trading bot for the Steam Community Market based on the ones I wrote at university for real world trading.

Also, I managed to acquire forty TF2 weapons which I did not previously own (or did but crafted/traded) in a single afternoon, I've only got The Sticky Jumper, The Rocket Jumper, and all of the newest weapons (except the BASE Jumper) left to acquire. What makes it all the better is that I did it entirely with duplicates and scraps that have been lying around in my backpack since forever.

This is also a good point. It is similar to how I finally discovered that vaccinator medic is one of the only ways for me to semi-enjoy hightower as a medic. With almost anything else, even quickfix to try to rocketjump with soldiers, you are likely to die with no chance of uber, or spend most of your time hiding in spawn while you charge.

Variety is the spice of life. Without minis, engineers who want to move around the map would only have the Rescue Ranger and the Jag to be useful, or the Widowmaker/Pomson to be a less useful troll class. I like that the threat of Mini placement adds more risk to explosive jumping classes that can otherwise fly around the map with impunity, provided they always land near health paks. I like that it makes people twirl around like they're spychecking because they can't find my goddamn mini. Minis are just fun.
iFcXmgyBHuiiK.png

Sianos

Mini sentries are hardly an issue against players paying attention. Now that the bug where they were practically invincible whilst building is fixed I can typically kill them before they are even fully built, especially if the Engineer in question is trying to fight me 1v1, and doubly especially if they can't aim their shotgun and rely just on constant mini spam to stay relevant. Two rockets or a couple stickies and they're gone, minis are hardly an issue for utilitarian Soldiers and Demomen.

What's annoying about them is I typically have to switch off of joke loadouts and less serious classes (jumpers, demoknight, crit punch wrangler jumping engie) to deal with them. I don't want to have to go Soldier and shoot your feet until you go away, but sometimes I have to.

Blizzard

Banned
Mini sentries are hardly an issue against players paying attention. Now that the bug where they were practically invincible whilst building is fixed I can typically kill them before they are even fully built, especially if the Engineer in question is trying to fight me 1v1, and doubly especially if they can't aim their shotgun and rely just on constant mini spam to stay relevant. Two rockets or a couple stickies and they're gone, minis are hardly an issue for utilitarian Soldiers and Demomen.

What's annoying about them is I typically have to switch off of joke loadouts and less serious classes (jumpers, demoknight, crit punch wrangler jumping engie) to deal with them. I don't want to have to go Soldier and shoot your feet until you go away, but sometimes I have to.
So your complaint is that it annoys you while you're trying to troll people? That seems kind of karmic. :p (I'm not sure what "jumpers" are unless you mean rocket-jumping or sticky-jumping but those are normal behaviors for soldier and demo)

Demos and Soldiers who troll with loadouts that turn them into high speed airborne pick classes are annoying. Guess what I use to ensure I stand a chance of shooting them out of the air.

Sianos

So your complaint is that it annoys you while you're trying to troll people? That seems kind of karmic. :p (I'm not sure what "jumpers" are unless you mean rocket-jumping or sticky-jumping but those are normal behaviors for soldier and demo)

Yeah, rocket jumper and sticky jumper nonsense.

I realize that playing my best classes all the time is no fun for anyone involved, so I mostly like to branch out and play loadouts that aren't as effective or operate off of unorthodox plans. Typically these loadouts don't have the burst damage to deal with mini sentry spam effective and whatever less serious but more difficult class I'm playing is hard zoned out.

Basically I just feel minis make the game less fun, less fast paced, and force me to play the trump cards that make the game less fun for everyone.

Blizzard

Banned

I realize that playing my best classes all the time is no fun for anyone involved, so I mostly like to branch out and play loadouts that aren't as effective or operate off of unorthodox plans. Typically these loadouts don't have the burst damage to deal with mini sentry spam effective and whatever less serious but more difficult class I'm playing is hard zoned out.

Basically I just feel minis make the game less fun, less fast paced, and force me to play the trump cards that make the game less fun for everyone.
Almost as if I just mentioned that things which annoy demos/soldiers/scouts may be good things for players overall, and you bring up how they can annoy demos/soldiers. :p You could play one of the other 6-7 classes!

"Not a bug, working as intended."

Proven

You piss me off more when you jump around using troll setups that make it really easy to pick off a Medic. (e.g. while it was funny, I was not a huge fan of Caberman back in the day)

But hey, the complaint about making things less fun by playing your best classes is why I also don't play Medic first thing on a server.

Sianos

But they DON'T annoy demos and soldier, at least ones using proper loadouts, which is my point. It only takes 2 rockets or a few stickies to destroy a mini, those Engies just feed me free points when I play Soldier/Demo with an actual launcher/the rare case when I pull out the tryhard stickies.

Basically minis force me to stop having fun and go on a (n easy) tryhard class just to deal with your low effort sentry spam. And then no one has fun because the bazooka is the true counter to fun.

Perhaps the reason why you have so much trouble with Soldiers and Demoman is you try to counter them with minis, the two classes that counter minis the most effectively.

You piss me off more when you jump around using troll setups that make it really easy to pick off a Medic. (e.g. while it was funny, I was not a huge fan of Caberman back in the day)

But hey, the complaint about making things less fun by playing your best classes is why I also don't play Medic first thing on a server.

Yeah, I think a part of what hurt the old gaf server was jumping onto our main classes too early and dominating the map, forcing counterpicks and general unfun.

Variety is the spice of life. Without minis, engineers who want to move around the map would only have the Rescue Ranger and the Jag to be useful, or the Widowmaker/Pomson to be a less useful troll class. I like that the threat of Mini placement adds more risk to explosive jumping classes that can otherwise fly around the map with impunity, provided they always land near health paks. I like that it makes people twirl around like they're spychecking because they can't find my goddamn mini. Minis are just fun.
Sure it's fun, it's why I use them when I rarely play Engie, but it's fun for the user at the expense of everyone else. Beggar's was also fun for the guy riding the skybox and crashing down to instakill the poor sap closest to him too, but constantly having to check straight up for that wasn't great.

It's generally fine with how other gametypes are set up but it's really KOTH where it becomes a problem due to the range covered on top of being mindlessly spammable and having most of the action taking place in a small general area. It's just disproportionately effective to how thoughtless it can be to use.

Blizzard

Banned
Perhaps the reason why you have so much trouble with Soldiers and Demoman is you try to counter them with minis, the two classes that counter minis the most effectively.
No, I hardly EVER build mini-sentries, and hardly ever play engineer for that matter. I pretty much only play classes I am very bad at in the last year or so. Also, I just hit 1499 hours recently, according to Steam. o_O;

But they DON'T annoy demos and soldier, at least ones using proper loadouts, which is my point. It only takes 2 rockets or a few stickies to destroy a mini, those Engies just feed me free points when I play Soldier/Demo with an actual launcher/the rare case when I pull out the tryhard stickies.

Basically minis force me to stop having fun and go on a (n easy) tryhard class just to deal with your low effort sentry spam. And then no one has fun because the bazooka is the true counter to fun.
The point is that you're using "fun" builds for you, which troll and annoy other players (see Proven's reply above). Then you complain that mini-sentries inhibit that trolling.
Soldier, scout, and demo are very high mobility, and I would like there to be more things to readily counter that.

You say you wouldn't have to go bazooka if no one used mini-sentries. I say maybe no one would have to go mini-sentries (see Yeef's post) if you didn't use annoying builds. :p

Play one of the other 6 classes, no one uses mini-sentries to annoy you, you don't use the bazooka or the un-nerfed stickies to annoy them, everyone wins! Fun for all.

It's generally fine with how other gametypes are set up but it's really KOTH where it becomes a problem due to the range covered on top of being mindlessly spammable and having most of the action taking place in a small general area. It's just disproportionately effective to how thoughtless it can be to use.

Then Engineers need another option on KOTH maps since having a level 3 is 100% dependent on map design and lots of KOTH maps have one or two predictable spots for them. Boring.

Bluth54

Mini's probably need a nerf, but Valve is so bad at changing stats on weapons that they would probably really screw it up.

Maybe limiting their firing radius to say the front 180 degrees they are facing so they don't fire on anything behind them may be an interesting nerf to try out.

What good servers do GAFfers play TF2 on these days? It's been years since I played with any regularity, but I'm finally building a gaming PC again and look forward to seeing how the TF2 world is doing.

What good servers do GAFfers play TF2 on these days? It's been years since I played with any regularity, but I'm finally building a gaming PC again and look forward to seeing how the TF2 world is doing.

Bar Room Heroes (BRH)
Trashed Gamers \TG/
Official Randomizer Arena
The Late Krew (TLK)
Ducksoup Gaming Community
50DKP
Tiny Little Robots
Critsandvich
Couchathletics
The Lions Den
unofficial Reddit tf2 servers
NeoGAF Jan-HAHAHAHAHAHA