• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Proven

Really cool SFM put together for the upcoming Jump Academy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl7mTT8JlnM

I'm curious about how the final site and the structure for teaching will turn out. I've been both a mentee and mentor on all my time spent on jump maps, but it's pretty much up to chance whether you run into someone willing to help or be helped. So I'm all for organization if it helps more players find teachers and get into jumping.

Just caught this through Facebook. Beyond the well done SFM work and the inclusive community spirit of Jumpers, this video reminds me why hats were one of the best things to ever happen to TF2.

Bluth54

It really is a 2fort situation.

Yeah Asteroid feels a lot like 2Fort which is pretty disapointing. It seems like the map is pretty early in development though (which is kinda surprising, seeing as how they were teasing a space themed update as early as last Christmas) so hopefully it will improve over time.

Oh lawd, Alex Morgan has some competition...

Sydney Leroux at the ESPYs yesterday
BsuRfO0CMAI0wyf.jpg

by a ladder
5-sidney-leroux-female-athletes-were-thankful-for-in-2013.jpg

at the beach
Sydney-Leroux-Cabo_4.png

Halloween
Sydney-Leroux-halloween-zombie-bride-costume.jpg

But I'm just playing around, of course — because why choose one when you can have both?

AlexSyd.jpg

Bluth54

Valve updated the beta maps, and made some pretty major changes to Asteroid:

Team Fortress 2 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Fixed a client crash related to particle effects
Fixed the Quickplay menu not remembering the Advanced Options settings after using the Play Beta Maps option
Fixed the Festive Sapper not having a skin for the Blu team
Added a new startup music track from Expiration Date
Updated the Conga taunt to play sounds on the client instead of the server
Updated several materials to fix issues caused by mat_picmip
Updated the localization files
Updated beta map pl_cactuscanyon
Redesign of the first half of stage 2. Blu team now pushes up the first hill
Removed the death pit in the first barn building of stage 1
Ammo increased in stage 2
Fixed Red building in the spawn room of stage 2
Updated beta map rd_asteroid

Mode changes

Power Cores and Reactor Cores now add their point value to a team's score over time
Reduced the rate at which points can be stolen from 15 per second to 10 per second
Robots now heal 5 health per second to nearby friendly players
The HUD has been reworked

Inverted the layout to better represent the layout of the level
Added progress bars to represent each team's score
Potential point gains from stolen reactor cores are now visually represented on the score progress bars
Thief icon now moves across the score board relative to the thief's position in the level
Updated thief icon to represent both the color of the power core stolen and the color of the thief's team
Added new strings to the win panel that explain why the team won
Replaced the current "points being stolen" sound with a new sound
Added better collision hulls to robot models
Reworked robot skins to reduce similarity to the Ubercharged skin
Sentry guns no longer target Ubercharged robots
Map changes

Layout has been adjusted with the overall goal of improving visibility of teammates
Removed spawn teleporter
Reduced map size by removing the front lobby and cave sections
Added terrain paths on the sides of the mid bridge
Increased width of the mid bridge
Removed doors that locked when A and B robots were active
Robots have been rearranged:

A robots now roam the bridge above the water
B robots now roam around the floor in front of the vault
C robots now roam around the upper deck
Added more line of sight blockers to the water room to provide better cover during combat engagements
Reduced travel time for the water flanking route under the interior bridge
Added a drop down to enter the water room from the front door staging area
Increased size of the glass room near C robots to provide flanking cover to use against sentries that are placed at the corner of the upper deck
Increased width of vault corridors
Reworked vent route that leads to the vault, no longer need to crouch jump on exit
Moved left spawn exit forward to reduce effectiveness of spawn camping
Added a resupply cabinet to the right side spawn exit
Re-positioned health and ammo pickup locations
Added ramp collision to stairs
Changed setup time from 60 seconds to 40 seconds
Changed power reactor max return time from 90 seconds to 60 seconds
Fixed gap in the death pit that allowed players to survive

Blizzard

Banned
Did gullywash get officially updated when I wasn't paying attention? I was just playing it and there are more routes than I remember.

Bluth54

Making RD_Asteroid smaller was a good move, however removing the lower path was a bad idea, now everyone has to go through the central bridge and the match I played neither team got many cores because almost all the fighting happened around the bridge and neither team was able to get very far into the other team's base.

The change to Cactus Canyon is fine, the first part of the second stage is better now and blu wont almost instantly cap the point like before but they'll still cap pretty fast and it still has all the problems with being full of chokepoints. Also I liked the death pit, it shouldn't of been removed.

Did gullywash get officially updated when I wasn't paying attention? I was just playing it and there are more routes than I remember.

According to the TF2 wiki there hasn't been any major changes to the map since it's been made official, just small updates and fixes.

Yarbskoo

I definitely prefer the old Asteroid. While I like a lot of the changes made to individual rooms and hallways, I feel like having objectives spread out with multiple ways in and out of the bases meant encounters were more unpredictable. On the servers I played with the new map, most of the activity would happen on the bridge above the water in one base or the other, almost never both. I didn't really like the spawn teleporter before, but now that the whole team is routed through the robots to get to the other base, it becomes difficult for a team to go offensive when they've got to go through the entirety of the attacking team just to get to the bridge.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely prefer the old Asteroid. While I like a lot of the changes made to individual rooms and hallways, I feel like having objectives spread out with multiple ways in and out of the bases meant encounters were more unpredictable. On the servers I played with the new map, most of the activity would happen on the bridge above the water in one base or the other, almost never both. I didn't really like the spawn teleporter before, but now that the whole team is routed through the robots to get to the other base, it becomes difficult for a team to go offensive when they've got to go through the entirety of the attacking team just to get to the bridge.

Exactly how I feel about the changes... I understand that the original version was on the large side and people got lost easily, but Valve went too far in the other direction and now the map feels claustrophobic in 24-man situations. There aren't enough alternate pathways so there's always massive clashes clogging up areas and the loss of the front lobby makes positioning much less interesting.

What I really enjoyed about the original was the fact that you had so many options. You could go solo or in smaller groups to help towards the objective in multiple ways. Forward hold to lend some defense to the A bots instead of just your reactor? Grab enemy cores just to delay while the bots are on cooldown? Etc.

Now you have to push through so many players at any given time to make any kind of headway, which is impossible without a group of similar size + charge. I'm hoping Valve finds a middle ground between the 2 versions.

Bluth54

New blog post about the Saxxy Awards, Portal is now getting in on the Saxxy Fun.

Also an update today including a rework of the beta maps:

- Fixed a case where move speeds could be exploited using player view angles
- Fixed an exploit related to Bonk! Atomic Punch and Crit-a-Cola
- Fixed cosmetic items not using the correct team skins when attached to ragdolls
- Fixed a bug related to cancelling the Eureka Effect taunt and teleporting immediately
- Fixed baseballs causing teleporter exits to detonate
- Updated The Five-Month Shadow to fix a paint-related problem
- Updated The Merc's Mohawk so it can be equipped by all classes
- Updated the equip_region for the Exquisite Rack
- Updated beta map pl_cactuscanyon
- Redesigned the alternate window route over the choke point by stage 2 capture point 1
- Window overlooking second stage final capture point is now a doorway
- Removed stairs leading to back barn in stage 2 near final capture point
- Back alley behind water tank in stage 2 is now a 1-way drop down
- Added small health pack in the small room off the back stairwell flank near stage 1 capture point 2
- Fixed players building in spawn rooms
- Updated beta map rd_asteroid
- Mode changes
- Players must steal at least 25 points before they can leave the vault with the reactor core
- Updated power core pick up sound
- Updated robot death effects and sounds
- Updated HUD layout
- Map changes
- Layout has been adjusted with the overall goal of increasing players ability to participate in creating points for their team
- Added terrain path and cave entrance under mid bridge. Exit is located near the large row of windows. Cave contains a medium health pack
- Widened play space near cave exit leading into large row of windows
- Added small ammo pack to underwater flank that leads to enemy reactor vault
- Added small health kit to staging area before the interior battlements
- Reduced ammo pack near vault from full to medium
- Added alcove near front door staging area
- Robots have been rearranged
- A robots now circle the staircase near the front door
- B robots now roam the interior bridge above the water
- Enabled flashing lights when a team's power reactor has been stolen
- Fixed broken stair collision when exiting the water near the bridge. In some cases it would push players back into the water.
- Added player blocker to ledge above exterior battlements
- Widened glass tunnel flank doorway near C robots
- Increased attackers spawn time by 1 second

So I've been playing TF2 since the Orange Box release and was looking at the wiki and saw that there were some sound clips I've never heard before.

Apparently if you have your melee out, crosshair over an enemy, and use the "Charge!" voice, you will make threats toward them!

Like, holy shit.

Have these been in the game forever and I'm just hearing them for the first time now??

Yeef

I do that all the time and always have (especially during setup, through the gates).

Obviously you don't pay attention to me ;_;

Also, they haven't been in the game forever, but they have been in the game fo ra long time. I don't remember the specific update, but there was some update where some guy scripted a bunch of the voice responses in from lines that were already in the files and submitted it to Valve. Pretty sure this was towards the end of the Javaman server.

Kirsten

Oh hello everyone. I am looking to get out of the TF2 game and focus more on apprehending children and selling my house (someone buy it please). Also, I am wanting to sell the stuff that is just sitting in my backpack. SO I thought I'd give my BFFS first dibs. I have a very beautiful strange kritz which I'm willing to give to one of you lucky people for a reasonable price. I also have a genuine balloonicorn that has some very sentimental value so...it needs to go to a good home. Someone who will love him and care for him. Also, there's a bunch of other stuff. If you buy my house I'll give it to you all for free. Think about it.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh hello everyone. I am looking to get out of the TF2 game and focus more on apprehending children and selling my house (someone buy it please). Also, I am wanting to sell the stuff that is just sitting in my backpack. SO I thought I'd give my BFFS first dibs. I have a very beautiful strange kritz which I'm willing to give to one of you lucky people for a reasonable price. I also have a genuine balloonicorn that has some very sentimental value so...it needs to go to a good home. Someone who will love him and care for him. Also, there's a bunch of other stuff. If you buy my house I'll give it to you all for free. Think about it.
Congrats on moving! I don't have anything good to offer for items OR the house, but I wish you the very best of luck on both.

A house and TF2 items? Well... The house would take up a lot of real estate and the TF2 items would sit around for a long time to find the right buyers... Hummm... I'll give you $15, best I can do.

OWPhCnT.jpg

Top Bottom