• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Bluth54

Update:
- Added a new startup music track from Expiration Date
- Fixed projectiles causing teleporter exits to detonate
- Fixed the Huntsman not firing after being charged in the air and landing on the ground while using cl_autoreload
- Fixed teammates blocking the removal of sappers when using the Homewrecker, Maul, and Neon Annihilator
- Fixed a bug with the Gloves of Running Urgently that increased the marked for death time to 5 seconds instead of 3
- Fixed a bug related to orphaned marked for death particles
- Updated the target ID to be hidden while taunting
- Updated the Bolt Boy to have two styles like the Bonk Boy
- Updated the equip_regions for the Bonk Boy and the Bolt Boy
- Updated the materials for the Boo Balloon
- Updated pl_cactuscanyon
- Added stage 3
- Limited Red flanking route near cliff to Blu spawn in stage 1
- Added health and ammo inside underpass by Blu spawn in stage 1
- Adjusted spawn times in stage 2
- Adjusted health and ammo packs
- Updated rd_asteroid
- Mode changes
- Updated HUD layout
- Fixed a bug that would prevent players from picking up the reactor core
- Teams will now spawn 70% faster if their C robots are dead
- Map changes
- Fixed unbalanced ammo kits in Blu base near the vault
- Added flashing light in the vault that will activate when a player is stealing points
- Added larger one way glass windows to spawn exit doors
- Added small ammo pack to top of the stairs at the cave exit
- Shortened length of pipes in vents that require players to crouch
- Increased track length for A robots. This is to provide more angles of attack.
- Extended flat area near left spawn exit for Engineers to build teleporters
- Lowered the health for the A robots from 500 to 300
- Fixed a bug where the power supply would not disable the flashing alarms when it was captured

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I just played the longest rd_asteroid game ever... both teams had over 300 cores but bonk scouts kept resetting the countdown timers over and over again.

I'm liking all the other changes to the map and mode otherwise, but that was incredibly frustrating, heh.

Bluth54

Every game of asteroid I've played since they made the first map update has seemed to last forever, I usually give up on the game before it ends.

Bluth54

I got a chance to play some cp_Snowplow today, the new map that's going to ship with the End of the Line update. It's a fun twist on the standard a/d cp gameplay.
Based on the state of the map I'm guessing the End of the Line update is still a month or two away.

Alienups

Wasn't there a documentary similar to this a year or two ago? Is this a sequel?

Extv released a documentary around this time last year about the i46 lan which was held two years ago. It was alright but a bit bland and they didn't show much gameplay.

So Bones and Cube, two guys that do all kinds of media stuff, frag vids, stuff for VanillaTV etc. decided they could do better. Last year at i49 they filmed a lot of behind the screens material, did interviews with the Australian/American/European players and they're mixing that together with frags for the "fragumentary". It was supposed to come out sooner but at one point demo files were broken for i think 3 months so ye.

Should be a fun watch even if you're not interested in competitive.

Randdalf

I got a chance to play some cp_Snowplow today, the new map that's going to ship with the End of the Line update. It's a fun twist on the standard a/d cp gameplay.
Based on the state of the map I'm guessing the End of the Line update is still a month or two away.

Yeah the map is very well constructed, they've been working very hard on testing it.

Bluth54

Extv released a documentary around this time last year about the i46 lan which was held two years ago. It was alright but a bit bland and they didn't show much gameplay.

So Bones and Cube, two guys that do all kinds of media stuff, frag vids, stuff for VanillaTV etc. decided they could do better. Last year at i49 they filmed a lot of behind the screens material, did interviews with the Australian/American/European players and they're mixing that together with frags for the "fragumentary". It was supposed to come out sooner but at one point demo files were broken for i think 3 months so ye.

Should be a fun watch even if you're not interested in competitive.

Yeah sounds good I'll be sure to check it out.

Yeah the map is very well constructed, they've been working very hard on testing it.

Yeah the biggest problem I had with Snowplow as in the version I played even the bigger more open areas felt small and closed in, and I prefer my bigger areas to be nice and open like in Badwater, Gorge and Upward. I gave the map makers some of my feedback on that, I hope they incorporate it into the map.

Sianos

I feel like this game has a lot of potential, but it really could use someone at the helm balancing it.

Maybe once Dota 2 has hero parity Icefrog can fix TF2?

I feel like this game has a lot of potential, but it really could use someone at the helm balancing it.

It's a shame to see TF2 fall by the wayside to GO and Dota. Both feature very active tournament support by Valve while the extent of it within TF2 is little more than the acknowledgment that it exists with medal distributions.

Update:

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Dedicated server performance/stability improvements
Added a new startup music track from Expiration Date
Added missing photos/thumb images for koth_badlands
Fixed a client crash related to the snd_restart command for Linux clients
Fixed a dedicated server crash related to arrows
Fixed the Bolt Boy using the wrong material for the Blu team
Improved memory usage for Linux clients
Updated the Restart Game and Scramble Teams votes to always have a mandatory cool-down period
Updated sv_memlimit to not be marked as a cheat convar
Added sv_minuptimelimit and sv_maxuptimelimit to manage the server restart window

Updated the equip_regions for the Mustachioed Mann, Ze Ubermensch, and Vive La France
Updated the localization files
Updated pl_cactuscanyon
Removed rollback leading to the final capture point in stage 2
Reworked fence position on forward spawn building in stage 2
Expanded back alley near the final capture point in stage 2
Expanded back pathway near the final capture point in stage 1
Added small room inside building half way up the zig-zag in stage 1
Adjusted health kits and ammo packs
Adjusted spawn times in stage 1 and 2

Updated rd_asteroid
Widened left side spawn exit
Players can no longer build inside the staircase near A robots
Fixed sticky stair collision when coming out of the water near B robots
Changed medium health kit near the C robots to a small health kit
Removed "alert" from voice over lines that announce your team has dropped the reactor core
Fixed missing patch overlay under small health near center bridge

Yeef

As a New Yorker, I wouldn't be caught dead in Jersey. I don't know who that his, but he clearly has no self-respect.

Bluth54

Well they have been doing some balancing, though sometimes I wonder if they even fully test the balance changes they make, since sometimes they are hillariously OP or completely useless, such as when the buffed the Short Circuit to basically stop demos and soldiers in their tracks, or "buffed" Natascha by giving it 100 extra ammo.

It's a shame to see TF2 fall by the wayside to GO and Dota. Both feature very active tournament support by Valve while the extent of it within TF2 is little more than the acknowledgment that it exists with medal distributions.
From what I've heard the TF2 team did want to work with some of the competitive community on getting in a tournament or competitive mode, however the community members they worked with wanted to go a different direction then Valve so they abandoned it. From what I heard Valve wanted to focus on highlander and have a weapon ban vote system, while the community members they were trying to work with wanted to focus on 6v6 and have already implemented weapon black lists.

From what I've heard the TF2 team did want to work with some of the competitive community on getting in a tournament or competitive mode, however the community members they worked with wanted to go a different direction then Valve so they abandoned it. From what I heard Valve wanted to focus on highlander and have a weapon ban vote system, while the community members they were trying to work with wanted to focus on 6v6 and have already implemented weapon black lists.
they should learn to trust valve

Sibylus

Banned
The TF2-team idea sounds awesome and Dota-esque. Should have gone ahead with it :/

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to order a mechanical keyboard, anyone know what the best switches to get are?

Having tried most of the common switch types, my preference is definitely Browns - good for both gaming and typing. Still recommend going to your local PC hardware store or picking up a sampler pack to try the different kinds though.

Sianos

Right about when I dropped out of semi-competitive TF2 was when that plan started to fall through. A shame, TF2 with Dota 2 style matchmaking and weapon bans would be much more enjoyable and really revitalize the game. MMR rankings wouldn't hurt either.

Randdalf

That sounds exactly like something I'd want to play, I wish they added it.

Bluth54

So someone leaked cp_Snowplow, the map from the End of the Line update from the semi-public testing they were doing this week and they have decided to open up testing to everyone.

Server IP addresses are at the link.

Basically it's a 2 stage CP map with three points on each stage. Instead of having a timer like most CP maps the train stops at each point. Above it is a bundle of logs that will smash the train and damage it (train has 100% health, each hit takes 10% health, it heals 10% health between points and I believe 20% health between stages). When you capture the point the train is at it allows the train to move to the next point.

The other day there was a sentry nest with 3 sentries being guarded by a couple phlogs who sat m1'ing the whole time near dispensers to stop spies, and a medic ubered me and I charged it. Hearing everyone on all chat realize that phlog can't airblast was priceless.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but if you want to vote up a Gaffer on the new TF2 merchandise page, I've uploaded a t-shirt design I made here. There's some other cool stuff on there too that I'm interested in, but I'm not sure how much Valve/WeLoveFine will choose.

Upvoted! Good Luck man!

Blizzard

Banned
Bones and CUBE did a great job with this, got me super hyped for i52 this weekend. :D Really liked their coverage of iM in particular.

It's gonna be so good having Froyo, Mix^, iM, Epsi, and the rest of the EU teams in attendance this time, I can't wait!
For those of us who are ignorant like me, apparently i52 is a LAN event in the UK, and some sort of charity might be involved?

Why don't you share some more details in case anyone might be curious? :p

okay so people who still play this game

did orange x ever get textures

that maps like 7 years old and yeah it kind of sucked but i figured someone would have spiffy'd it up

post 14968

oh thanks. Don't read this thread regularly.

Also I guess if they wanted to make this as big as Dota and CS in that sense they would have to refocus the marketing about the game and its economy. The image of this game certainly isn't focused on the competitive level as the other two. Still, would have been interesting.

Top Bottom