• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
TF2's competitive scene is 100% community driven at this point and everyone's accepted it. While it sucks that the game will likely never get developer support like Dota2/CSGO, the scene's still going pretty strong considering the game is 7 years old.

Both the 6v6 and HL communities played pick/ban PUGs and submitted data to Valve when the idea of in-game matchmaking was floated, but nothing came of it. *shrug* When there wasn't any further response from the developers, can you really blame players for just going back to scrimming and focusing on their existing leagues?

For those of us who are ignorant like me, apparently i52 is a LAN event in the UK, and some sort of charity might be involved?

Why don't you share some more details in case anyone might be curious? :p
It's just a big UK LAN that became the de facto international competitive TF2 championship 2 events ago. i46 was the first time American teams participated (and took 1st and 2nd over all the EU teams), i49 had AU and NA teams participate (1/2-EU, 3- NA, 4-AU), and i52 has 2 NA teams and the AU team returning to play.

I'm gonna post a thread for i52, will probably go up tomorrow.

Blizzard

Banned
It's just a big UK LAN that became the de facto international competitive TF2 championship 2 events ago. i46 was the first time American teams participated (and took 1st and 2nd over all the EU teams), i49 had AU and NA teams participate (1/2-EU, 3- NA, 4-AU), and i52 has 2 NA teams and the AU team returning to play.

I'm gonna post a thread for i52, will probably go up tomorrow.
Thanks for the explanation! Link the thread here since we're such a high-traffic thread. :p

The Struggle is real.

if your old school steamids were kind of like a badge of honor, now im in the damn 100ks instead of the 60ks

fuckin bullshit valve.

I mean yeah ive got like 550 games and level 42, big fucking deal. its like I havent played WoW in years but I still log in to show off my panda cub once in awhile.

hey an update
-Fixed rockets colliding with other projectiles and getting stuck in the world
-Fixed a bug with the Soldier's Fresh Brewed Victory taunt and the Power Up Canteen
-Fixed the Demoman not being able to equip The Grandmaster
-Fixed a bug where Professional Killstreak items were being displayed as Specialized
-Market Listings for Specialized Killstreak kits for the following items have been removed and will need to be relisted
- Stickybomb Launcher, Minigun, Direct Hit, Huntsman, Backburner, Back Scatter, Kritzkrieg, Ambassador, Frontier Justice​
-Fixed character audio being cut short when characters clap during the Conga taunt
-Unusual taunts that are tradable can now be listed on the Steam Community Market
-The Classic can now accept Enemies Gibbed strange parts
-The Manmelter can now accept Allies Extinguished strange parts
-Added mp_spectators_restricted server convar
-Prevents players on Red/Blue from joining team Spectator if it would exceed mp_teams_unbalance_limit​
-Updated the HTML display in the MOTD to use shared Steam browser control
-Updated the materials for The Dalokohs Bar
-Updated the equip_region for the Soldier's Stash, Exquisite Rack, The Pencil Pusher, and Antlers
-Updated the localization files
-Updated pl_cactuscanyon
-Stage 1​
-Reworked the geometry of the back stairwell route leading to the final cap​
-Stage 3​
-New design of back yard underpass area
-Added new building and route near the underpass
-New geometry for Red battlements and spawn exit by the first cap
-Added new exit from Red spawn leading to the raised middle rock outcrop by the barn
-Reworked Red spawn exit by capture point 2
-Removed rocks and added a new structure by the final cart push
-Cart now takes longer to pass through the building at the end of
-Adjusted spawn times
-Adjusted Health and ammo packs​

i don't think i've ever seen anyone actually care about steamids in the entirety of my playtime in tf2 so i wouldn't worry, there's probably something more inconsequential to concern oneself with but nothing comes to mind right now

but i hear steamid length is directly proportional to foot size and you know what folks say about that, so really think of it as a free upgrade

gonna be a pain for server admins though

I don't think this necessarily has got to do with Source 2, also they apologized:

We apologize for the lack of warning regarding the SteamID format change in today's update. It was our intent to give the community a heads-up before the change was released, but it was missed.

The change was made to update TF2 to use the current SteamID format, which most other games on Steam and Steam itself uses. You will find that you can now use SteamIDs rendered by these other locations in your interactions with the engine. The engine will still recognize the old format, though, so your current server ban lists should still be valid.

The conversion equation has already been posted by a community member, but here it is again:

Old: STEAM_0:A:B
New: [U:1:B*2+A]
Example: STEAM_0:1:1234 ---> [U:1:2469]

We're sorry for the problems this may cause while you update your scripts to use the new format. It was not our intent to disrupt your servers.

-Eric

Bluth54

All new games and I'm sure all new Valve games are going to be using that new SteamID format. Obviously I don't know 100% for sure if they changed over to it because of moving TF2 to Source2 but I think it's pretty likely.

FinKL

Are there any recommended "fun" type maps/map packs anyone can recommend? Have some friends coming over and once we get tired of MvM want to do some unique fun things like that WarioWare map. Looking at the server browser all I see are Idle Achievement maps :O

Randdalf

Are there any recommended "fun" type maps/map packs anyone can recommend? Have some friends coming over and once we get tired of MvM want to do some unique fun things like that WarioWare map. Looking at the server browser all I see are Idle Achievement maps :O

balloon_race

wacky_races

cp_bestinclass

koth_chasm (^_^)

Sianos

today in team fortress 2 kuro tried to build minis and terrorize the poor denizens of dustbowl, so i shot him and his minions with the african american box until he lost and i won
laugh.gif

EDIT: then i went to barnblitz and conquered my fears by spamming rockets at them and healing for 15 hp on hit

Collete

I wonder if Kuro even lurks this thread anymore...

And also Quote you sound like you're more scared of minis if you're attacking them with rockets.
To truly conquer your fear, embrace the mini, love the mini, minis are your frieeeeeendssss

...I'll stop

Woobie

koth_chasm (^_^)

whoa, bias! :^)

Try out some deathrun maps they have the prefix dr_ they're pretty dumb but fun at the same time.
I like jump and surf maps too. Hard to get the hang of though.

P.S. when are all you doter nerds gonna come play league with me

whoa, bias! :^)

Try out some deathrun maps they have the prefix dr_ they're pretty dumb but fun at the same time.
I like jump and surf maps too. Hard to get the hang of though.

P.S. when are all you doter nerds gonna come play league with me

do people still play that game

August 27, 2014 - TF2 Team

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
Added a new promo item
Client/server memory improvements
Fixed ragdolls not applying the ice/gold effect for cosmetic items
Fixed the Australium Scattergun material looking pixelated
Fixed some issues with clipped text in the localized versions
Fixed the difficulty of the current challenge not displaying correctly in the MvM scoreboard
Snipers can no longer jump immediately after firing a scoped shot
Updated the materials for The Dalokohs Bar
Updated the equip_region for The Dashin' Hashshashin
Updated the Stout Shako to fix a lighting problem
Updated the localization files
Updated rd_asteroid
Added line of sight blocker to the front doors to prevent Snipers on battlements from shooting into the bases
Removed reduced spawn time bonus for players that die in the enemy base
Moved interior battlements health and ammo further into the base
Updated pl_cactuscanyon
Stage 2
Removed from the sequence so stage 1 links to stage 3
Stage 3
Added rollback to cart while in the train collision zone
Cart is now unavailable to push for a short period at the start
Adjust spawn times during the final push-pull
Pushed spawn gates forward in the right-side exits of Blu spawn
Adjusted cover surrounding the middle exit of Red spawn

Updated

Bluth54

And then Valve had to revert to an old version of Asteroid in a second update today because you could build on top of the bases and they were too lazy to fix it and recompile a new version of the map.

Exuro

Is there anyway to play non modded mvm maps when matchmaking?(non mann up mode) I keep getting maps that give you way too much money and stuff.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
The fun experiment known as CapThatPoint has come to an end. It's basically been a year since it all started, and I've decided to not renew the domain name and services. While it was a fun and learning experience, it just didn't produce the results that I wanted in order to keep it going.

Instead of focusing on the negatives and blaming things (which would include myself on the list), I'd rather say a big thanks to everyone who participated on the server and helped to try and make it awesome. I really do appreciate the support and effort.

I'll probably be taking down the Steam group soon, and the TF2 server as well. Maybe whatever the next Big Thing is, I'll start up a server for that. (And no it's not Chivalry, Fatcat).

If anyone else would like to carry this torch and would like some help setting things up, I'll be more than happy to help. Just let me know.

--SpaceB0y

Yeef

Now you can join Javaman and I in our secret lounge for cool people.

It's super-secret, so don't tell anyone.

(Thanks for hosting the server for as long as you did, even if I don't actually play anymore).

I'll always be bitter about the Axtinguisher nerf. They could've just fixed the flamethrower's particles so you can actually get kills with it but nope.

The fun experiment known as CapThatPoint has come to an end. It's basically been a year since it all started, and I've decided to not renew the domain name and services. While it was a fun and learning experience, it just didn't produce the results that I wanted in order to keep it going.

Instead of focusing on the negatives and blaming things (which would include myself on the list), I'd rather say a big thanks to everyone who participated on the server and helped to try and make it awesome. I really do appreciate the support and effort.

I'll probably be taking down the Steam group soon, and the TF2 server as well. Maybe whatever the next Big Thing is, I'll start up a server for that. (And no it's not Chivalry, Fatcat).

If anyone else would like to carry this torch and would like some help setting things up, I'll be more than happy to help. Just let me know.

--SpaceB0y

Community Servers are dying in general. Most of the ones I see that are up, are much less active. Most people just hop in valve servers nowadays.

Blizzard

Banned
Community Servers are dying in general. Most of the ones I see that are up, are much less active. Most people just hop in valve servers nowadays.
I jump in Valve servers when following people around for pubstomps -- and people do that because there's no forced autobalance, and no admin, so you can just stack a team over and over.

It's probably very un-fun for the other team, but allowing stacking is probably a reason those servers are liked by the people doing the stacking. :p

Randdalf

I jump in Valve servers when following people around for pubstomps -- and people do that because there's no forced autobalance, and no admin, so you can just stack a team over and over.

It's probably very un-fun for the other team, but allowing stacking is probably a reason those servers are liked by the people doing the stacking. :p

Can confirm that stacking and stomping is fun. Especially on 5CP maps.

I'll maybe do a team stack for a round or two if a buncha pals are doing it. After that shit should scramble or I'll just get bored and either switch to donkoman, or find a new server.

Riho Hyena

Neo Member
What's your best feeling while playing a round? For me it's the heartfelt thanks you can get while healing someone who really needs it. Of course, then there's the hilarious rage of that guy you just mowed down with a syringe gun.

Top Bottom