• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Oreoleo

Haven't played TF2 in years so I used this update as an excuse to jump back in. I haven't played CS:GO since they started adding skins and what not so TF:GO is kinda new to me and, honestly, it was kind of a cluster fuck.

I didn't take the whole thing too seriously, valve servers have always kind of been a gongshow since they were added but the class contracts really seemed to put the game out of whack. It felt like a class update, free weekend or when the game first went free-to-play with how heavily loaded one team would be with a specific class or two. The new (to me) community maps are fun, I really like the KOTH map, it's a pretty fun sniper/scout map. While the contracts are kind of a neat idea they fuck up the class balance of the team and negatively impact the quality of a match in ways I can't imagine it negatively impacting CS. I haven't played GO Hat Edition, so what do I know. The rewards for completing the contracts--weapon skins--seems kind of lame compared to straight up strange weapons. It's just more visual noise in a game that's now filled with it but I'm basically the TF2 equivalent to a WoW crank going on about how vanilla was the best and you kids should get off my lawn.

I'll play it for a bit more, try to get my money's worth out of the campaign but I just see myself uninstalling this once it's over. The game feels kind of done, for me anyways, has for a while now. Most of the people I used to play with have moved on to other games.

Okay.

Haven't played TF2 in years so I used this update as an excuse to jump back in. I haven't played CS:GO since they started adding skins and what not so TF:GO is kinda new to me and, honestly, it was kind of a cluster fuck.

I didn't take the whole thing too seriously, valve servers have always kind of been a gongshow since they were added but the class contracts really seemed to put the game out of whack. It felt like a class update, free weekend or when the game first went free-to-play with how heavily loaded one team would be with a specific class or two. The new (to me) community maps are fun, I really like the KOTH map, it's a pretty fun sniper/scout map. While the contracts are kind of a neat idea they fuck up the class balance of the team and negatively impact the quality of a match in ways I can't imagine it negatively impacting CS. I haven't played GO Hat Edition, so what do I know. The rewards for completing the contracts--weapon skins--seems kind of lame compared to straight up strange weapons. It's just more visual noise in a game that's now filled with it but I'm basically the TF2 equivalent to a WoW crank going on about how vanilla was the best and you kids should get off my lawn.

I'll play it for a bit more, try to get my money's worth out of the campaign but I just see myself uninstalling this once it's over. The game feels kind of done, for me anyways, has for a while now. Most of the people I used to play with have moved on to other games.

Honestly, I think it promotes class diversity. Usually around this time of year the game gets plagued by kids out of school who refuse to play anything but Sniper and Spy, but the contract system "forces" them to play classes they wouldn't otherwise, at least for a while.

Used to play this game religiously until around a year ago when I started getting problem with connecting to servers, but as of the latest update im not expierencing any connectivity problems anymore so I'm going to start playing it again.
I'm not that good anymore but if you guys dont mind that add me on steam if you want.

Anyone have the open contract were for the advanced part of it you have to get 10 points in one life? Struggling to do it myself. Is there a specific class that is best for it or am I just terrible?

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone have the open contract were for the advanced part of it you have to get 10 points in one life? Struggling to do it myself. Is there a specific class that is best for it or am I just terrible?
Try heavy or medic on a server with 12 or less people per side.

Or try sniper and sit near spawn sniping. Or try engineer and build a teleporter, and then sit in base next to it while people use it. You don't get points if YOU use the teleporter, but teammates using it will give you points. That's probably the safest way, but you would need 20 teleports to get the points so it would need to be a long map where people will keep spawning in the same place.

MayMay

Banned
Fourth contract gave me a field tested blue minigun of the lowest rarity. RIP I'd much rather want a case drop instead.

Did 4 contracts, Coin says I only did 3 because one of them somehow didn't count. This is gonna annoy me forever :(

Rivitur

Banned
Fourth contract gave me a field tested blue minigun of the lowest rarity. RIP I'd much rather want a case drop instead.

Did 4 contracts, Coin says I only did 3 because one of them somehow didn't count. This is gonna annoy me forever :(
You forgot to mention it gave you an excuse to get carried by me. And the ability to shame you in front of your new tf2 friends in this thread with this post.

Toxic level rising*

As mentioned use engi and teleport 20 times.

MayMay

Banned
You forgot to mention it gave you an excuse to get carried by me. And the ability to shame you in front of your new tf2 friends in this thread with this post.

Toxic level rising*

Leave me alone Rivi - stop bullying me :(

You were a horrible Demoman :pPP

You don't play CS with me anymore :(

If I start playing TF2 with you you'll probably drop me like a hot potato again :((

It's not you, it's me. :(

I just don't play so much CS anymore. I still do once in a while but I haven't had much time or desire to play it. I like TF2 because games don't take up so much time and it's so silly there's not much room for toxicity.

Rivitur

Banned
It's not you, it's me. :(

I just don't play so much CS anymore. I still do once in a while but I haven't had much time or desire to play it. I like TF2 because games don't take up so much time and it's so silly there's not much room for toxicity.
So more toxicity... Got it can do.

Yasae

Banned
Yeah, I was buried under work all week, but that's over now. And I JUST found out about the TF2 update, which is impressive! Weapons! Balancing! Weapon skins???

So anyways, I'll get that server back up and running shortly. Definitely/probably/hopefully this weekend, for sure/kinda/realz.
Well, we see how this went.

Honestly, I think it promotes class diversity. Usually around this time of year the game gets plagued by kids out of school who refuse to play anything but Sniper and Spy, but the contract system "forces" them to play classes they wouldn't otherwise, at least for a while.

I've played on teams where every name had a coin beside it in the scoreboard and every class was sniper and spy. Sometimes the contract system reinforces the terrible class balance.

Yeef

I've played on teams where every name had a coin beside it in the scoreboard and every class was sniper and spy. Sometimes the contract system reinforces the terrible class balance.
The coin just means that they own a coin, not that they're necessarily currently doing a contract.

fhqwhgads

Contracts have proven fantastic for me so far. Field Tested Spruce Deuce Scattergun is a work of art. I'm really loving the non-crate weapons far more than the crate ones, the crate stuff reminds me of those god awful neon DLC guns from Killing Floor.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
OH HI! Here, have some servers:

[TF2 Server]
tf2.capthatpoint.com (216.52.148.120:27015)

[UT2K4 Server]
ut2k4.capthatpoint.com (72.5.195.148:7777)

[Cards Against Humanity Server]
cah.capthatpoint.com

These are listed at www.capthatpoint.com (full website coming soon)

Tell your friends! Well, maybe not about the Cards Against Humanity server, keep that one a secret for yourself ;)

--Spaceb0y

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
ESEA Season 19 playoffs start today in about 9 hours! No LAN because of the relocation of CSGO finals but it should still provide some great matches.

Rundown of the top 4 Invite Teams (this article is wrong about the Medigun stuff though, ESEA has banned weapon pickups until playoffs are completed)

Match Page: Ascent vs Five Dollar Club
Match Page: Street Hoops eSports vs Froyotech

I haven't watched any 6s since the Gun Mettle update dropped, so it's gonna be interesting to see how the changes affect it. And Froyo online without Lansky... this is Ascent's best chance to finally take the championship.

Blizzard

Banned
ESEA Season 19 playoffs start today in about 9 hours! No LAN because of the relocation of CSGO finals but it should still provide some great matches.

Rundown of the top 4 Invite Teams

Match Page: Ascent vs Five Dollar Club
Match Page: Street Hoops eSports vs Froyotech

I haven't watched any 6s since the Gun Mettle update dropped, so it's gonna be interesting to see how the changes affect it (especially the Medigun stuff, since ESEA hasn't banned weapon pickups like UGC has). And Froyo online without Lansky... this is Ascent's best chance to finally take the championship.
What weapons does ESEA ban? I was half joking, half serious talking with people when I sort of cynically predicted that competitive people would just undo Valve's latest patch changes, possibly including balance adjustments, to try to keep competitive rollouts / class balance / weapons / play the same as it's been previously.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see them allowing weapon pickups so let us know how it goes.

Alienups

Tri (ESEA admin) announced it is banned though for the sake of consistency during the current season. ETF2L did the same for their playoffs. Weapon pickups is a big gameplay change so cant really blame them in this case. Especially not after the quickfix lan mess.

Theyll review it after the season but im confident both leagues will allow it in future seasons.

@Blizzard: http://whitelist.tf/esea_6v6_s19

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Tri (ESEA admin) announced it is banned though for the sake of consistency during the current season. ETF2L did the same for their playoffs. Weapon pickups is a big gameplay change so cant really blame them in this case. Especially not after the quickfix lan mess.

Theyll review it after the season but im confident both leagues will allow it in future seasons.

Oops, I was just going by Tery's preview since he mentioned the Medigun change specifically when talking about Gun Mettle changes. Edited. >.<

Good decision then, I remember seeing firsthand how that Quick-Fix-fest of a LAN really killed viewer interest.

Blizzard

Banned

Crikey, 12 weapons banned for scout alone? Only 8 scout weapons are actually allowed.

Has there been any discussion about unblocking some of those weapons, or is it pretty much a permanent lockdown on the current state of say, the scout?

Oops, I was just going by Tery's preview since he mentioned the Medigun change specifically when talking about Gun Mettle changes. Edited. >.<

Good decision then, I remember seeing firsthand how that Quick-Fix-fest of a LAN really killed viewer interest.
What happened with Quick-Fix? And where did viewer interest die? I was apparently out of the loop.

*edit* I would think that would especially reward clever rocket and demo jumps to carry the medic, which makes it especially odd that viewers would dislike it. Unless the viewers are the same competitive group that dislikes the other weapons and recent changes?

Then again, 6v6 is different from Highlander with all the classes available. Do the ESEA rules use the new Valve balance patch or revert it?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
What happened with Quick-Fix? And where did viewer interest die? I was apparently out of the loop.

*edit* I would think that would especially reward clever rocket and demo jumps to carry the medic, which makes it especially odd that viewers would dislike it. Unless the viewers are the same competitive group that dislikes the other weapons and recent changes?

Then again, 6v6 is different from Highlander with all the classes available. Do the ESEA rules use the new Valve balance patch or revert it?
In the middle of Season 14, Valve buffed a bunch of weapons including giving the QF the ability to overheal. ESEA made the decision to allow the changed weapons for the remainder of the season and the community had a mixed reaction.

Mix^ was the only Invite team to consistently try running QF during the season and they didn't dominate, so the debate quieted down.

At LAN finals (which are the American competitive TF2 events that draw the most viewers), there was a cast of a match that had a 47-minute, stalematey-as-hell round during which the commentators and audience blamed the QF for causing the slow play and called for its ban. The anti-QF segment became super vocal after this and claimed that it proved everything they were saying about the weapon.

Then ESEA TF2 admins reacted to the overwhelmingly negative feedback from LAN (including input by the team captains who were attending) by banning the QF at the start of the next season.

How do you guys feel about the new Tomislav (+20% Acc) for Heavy? I say it's pretty good and "competitive" with stock.
Though Heavy is not a cookie cutter class in 6s so eh.

I been trying out the Air Strike and the buff to have 4 rockets makes life a bit easier. I say it's gewd too

Yeef

If you don't mind watching a flipbook.
giphy.gif

Blizzard

Banned
In the middle of Season 14, Valve buffed a bunch of weapons including giving the QF the ability to overheal. ESEA made the decision to allow the changed weapons for the remainder of the season and the community had a mixed reaction.

Mix^ was the only Invite team to consistently try running QF during the season and they didn't dominate, so the debate quieted down.

At LAN finals (which are the American competitive TF2 events that draw the most viewers), there was a cast of a match that had a 47-minute, stalematey-as-hell round during which the commentators and audience blamed the QF for causing the slow play and called for its ban. The anti-QF segment became super vocal after this and claimed that it proved everything they were saying about the weapon.

Then ESEA TF2 admins reacted to the overwhelmingly negative feedback from LAN (including input by the team captains who were attending) by banning the QF at the start of the next season.

Thanks for the information! I think it's a tough situation since some maps (particularly Gullywash?) may tend to produce stalemates with certain changes, but I imagine it's way more difficult to update the maps and get those accepted than just remove certain weapons.

I do wonder about the tons of banned scout weapons though. Did those have a really bad LAN, or were they more banned on principle?

Thanks for the information! I think it's a tough situation since some maps (particularly Gullywash?) may tend to produce stalemates with certain changes, but I imagine it's way more difficult to update the maps and get those accepted than just remove certain weapons.

I do wonder about the tons of banned scout weapons though. Did those have a really bad LAN, or were they more banned on principle?

It's 6v6. 90% of weapons that aren't completely unusable are banned.

Top Bottom