• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
According to that, TF2 will not be ported to Source 2.

I finally got the engineer contract so I'm now to the advanced points. It is indeed extremely difficult to get 5 enemies to suicide to your sentry, and then repeat that 2 more times. Even on choke point maps, after the first 3 or so walk into it, chances are someone will kill it.

If any spy targets you, convincing teammates to pyro spycheck or even help kill the spy seems really difficult too.

*edit* It's even worse because it doesn't count assists. You have to get actual kills.

According to that, TF2 will not be ported to Source 2.

Question, is this after a recent meeting or does he mean the last time they talked about, aka "not happening soon, because no need for it"? If it's the latter it's non-news, if it's the former sounds like definitive no and thus news.

Medic Contract for me this week.

2 Points for getting a point
10 points for kill with an ubered heavy
20 points for killing a sentry (including mini) with uber

Heck I finished in 30 minutes, though one day I'll dread getting Engineer Contracts, those are hell.

Blizzard

Banned
Question, is this after a recent meeting or does he mean the last time they talked about, aka "not happening soon, because no need for it"? If it's the latter it's non-news, if it's the former sounds like definitive no and thus news.
I'm afraid I don't know. :(

Medic Contract for me this week.

2 Points for getting a point
10 points for kill with an ubered heavy
20 points for killing a sentry (including mini) with uber

Heck I finished in 30 minutes, though one day I'll dread getting Engineer Contracts, those are hell.
Yeah I did an engineer one today and the bonus points are tough. I got a case drop at least, but the case I got was down to about $1 to sell and they look like they'll mostly get lower in the future. At least I already paid off the overall campaign.

Blizzard

Banned
Demonkights are plenty of fun to play, but the melee hit detection in the game is just terrible. Having a (sub)class based around a broken system just feels like bad design to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yd1YpPZ0XM#t=1m
I've seen that video and I like it but isn't it supposed to be because of smoothing, multiple 40+ ping people, hidden hitboxes, prediction, and all those things behind the scenes? I assume there was some reason for it and the replays aren't 100% accurate or something.

I mean, if it had been broken for 7 years surely Valve would fix it right? I hope?

Oreoleo

Oreo didn't like it but I still think the tide turner is pretty funny with such rapid turns if you can manage to actually contact enemies before swinging.

I didn't have any problems with the tide turner specifically. It's just more to do with the fact that if you don't get the kill you are basically boned. No escape and basically praying to RNG that one of your swings connects eventually. Plus with the map we were on there wasn't much utility, trying to basically push into enemy spawn with 3 or 4 enemies coming at you constantly. Recipe for disaster.

Yeef

I mean, if it had been broken for 7 years surely Valve would fix it right? I hope?
I don't mean broken as in "not working as intended." I mean broken as in "poorly designed." The melee works the way it's supposed to, but that doesn't mean it works well. You have extended or decreased range depending on which direction your facing in relation to the geometric coordinates, for example.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't mean broken as in "not working as intended." I mean broken as in "poorly designed." The melee works the way it's supposed to, but that doesn't mean it works well. You have extended or decreased range depending on which direction your facing in relation to the geometric coordinates, for example.
Ah, gotcha. That sounds funny about the range change.

Blizzard

Banned
i have a question .
if i buy now the gun mettle ticket, how many missions or contracts will have ? only 2 ?
I think you will get a bunch at once, but bear in mind the cases sell for much less now ($0.50 to $0.70?) than they did originally, if that's what you're interested in.

Rivitur

Banned
I think you will get a bunch at once, but bear in mind the cases sell for much less now ($0.50 to $0.70?) than they did originally, if that's what you're interested in.
That didn't take long. But of course the cases aren't the money making item people want. It's all about the drops that you can sell.

Blizzard

Banned
That didn't take long. But of course the cases aren't the money making item people want. It's all about the drops that you can sell.
I don't know you well enough to judge if that's sarcasm, so just in case it's serious -- the weapon drops are almost completely worthless and have been from very early on. Even weapons out of cases have been (on average as far as I know) worth much less than the case itself.

People were selling cases for $4-6 shortly after the campaign came out, or opening them for weapons worth $1-2. As for non-case weapon drops, mine seem to be in the $0.04 to $0.08 range.

Rivitur

Banned
I don't know you well enough to judge if that's sarcasm, so just in case it's serious -- the weapon drops are almost completely worthless and have been from very early on. Even weapons out of cases have been (on average as far as I know) worth much less than the case itself.

People were selling cases for $4-6 shortly after the campaign came out, or opening them for weapons worth $1-2. As for non-case weapon drops, mine seem to be in the $0.04 to $0.08 range.
As I've said before the cases are sold at a high price for the first week then drop. (As you've experienced) but the idea is that the contracts will give you a chance to obtain "rare" weapons which will fetch you a few dollars. Which means you only need a few drops to get your money back. These drops are not available to those who didn't buy the pass so that's the reward they get, the drops.

Where the hell did you see sarcasm!?

Blizzard

Banned
As I've said before the cases are sold at a high price for the first week then drop. (As you've experienced) but the idea is that the contracts will give you a chance to obtain "rare" weapons which will fetch you a few dollars. Which means you only need a few drops to get your money back. These drops are not available to those who didn't buy the pass so that's the reward they get, the drops.

Where the hell did you see sarcasm!?
The bolded is the issue. The drops you get from the campaign are not rare unless you are very lucky, as far as I know. I just checked 3 recent weapon drops I have from 2 different collections, for example. They're worth $0.05, $0.15, and $0.10.

The very first week or two, I sold two weapons. One sold for $1.31, the other for $2.61. Those same weapons now sell for $0.12 and $0.28 respectively.

Compared to that, I sold TF2 weapons cases for $6.27, $3.09, and $1.01. Even now, cases are still selling for $1.41 and $0.83, while the only weapons I sold for over $1 are now worth much less as mentioned above.

Rivitur

Banned
The bolded is the issue. The drops you get from the campaign are not rare unless you are very lucky, as far as I know. I just checked 3 recent weapon drops I have from 2 different collections, for example. They're worth $0.05, $0.15, and $0.10.

The very first week or two, I sold two weapons. One sold for $1.31, the other for $2.61. Those same weapons now sell for $0.12 and $0.28 respectively.

Compared to that, I sold TF2 weapons cases for $6.27, $3.09, and $1.01. Even now, cases are still selling for $1.41 and $0.83, while the only weapons I sold for over $1 are now worth much less as mentioned above.

But the pass grants you access to get those rare drops. Again RARE. Without the pass you would have the chance to get them in the first place. So thats the appeal of the pass. Just an opportunity to get something rare for 6$ that you might never get.

MayMay

Banned
woop woop bronze coin

3fa1a31887.jpg

Only Silver and Gold to go :3

Blizzard

Banned
But the pass grants you access to get those rare drops. Again RARE. Without the pass you would have the chance to get them in the first place. So thats the appeal of the pass. Just an opportunity to get something rare for 6$ that you might never get.
I don't think that's the case, at least for some people. Sure for certain people, the appeal might be a very unlikely lottery-style situation where they might get a weapon they would otherwise have to buy for a few dollars. For others (most?) the appeal might be this chance, plus selling cases to pay off the campaign, since the the cases sell for more. As far as I know, the cases have always sold for more than the average weapons, so this is the situation for the vast majority of the people, and the reason I was bringing the whole situation up to someone asking about the campaign.

Anyone can still just wait until the prices drop and buy the weapons off the market, however.

So it was just a gold rush at the beginning because they were new items. Oh well.
Once it was a Gold Rush, but it's beginning to turn into more of a Dust Bowl!

On another note, there were TF2 updates today.

Steam said:
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Changed the Pomson 6000 berCharge and cloak drain effect's distance fall-off
Old: Drain 15 berCharge at point blank and scale down to 0 at 1024 HU
New: Drain 10 berCharge from 0 to 512 HU and scale down to 0 at 1536 HU
Added Arms Race 1 and Arms Race 2 community event medals
Fixed a bug related to using incorrect particle effects
Fixed the Scorch Shot flares pushing teammates
Fixed being able to carry the flag with the Rocket/Sticky Jumpers
Fixed Sentries shooting over the head of Spies using the Box Trot taunt
Fixed tf_bot_join_after_player preventing the bots from joining a team after the player joins team Spectator
Fixed missing secondary attack animations for the Short Circuit
Fixed the Contracts button on the main menu not being disabled when there are no contracts
Fixed an exploit related to coaching and the 'autoteam' command
Fixed Mann vs. Machine maps not resetting properly after a successful vote to change the challenge
Fixed Stat Clock models not cloaking with the Spy
Fixed a case where buildings would not go active if they were sapped while being built
Fixed a display bug that made it look like players had received multiple copies of the same item
Fixed a regression with the tournament spectator GUI that broke custom HUDs
Fixed showing "cannot be listed on the Steam Community Market for one week" on listings in the Steam Community Market when that is no longer the case
Fixed a rare client crash when turning in Contracts
Updated the Spy Contract objective for destroying buildings to work with the Ap-Sap, the Red-Tape Recorder, and the Snack Attack
Updated Mann Co. Store prices for foreign currencies to current USD equivalents
Updated the localization files
Maps Workshop Beta
Improved handling of recently changed workshop maps
Fixed a case where servers would fail to load maps that had been updated since the last server restart
Fixed a case were clients would not check for new versions when connecting to a workshop server
Improved server console output when waiting on map downloads during level change
Fixed a case where subscribing to maps while the game was running could result in failure to load the map
Fixed a case where joining a server running a workshop map would first wait for all subscribed maps to finish downloading before attempting to download the map at hand
Steam said:
Fixed a client crash related to the spectator GUI
Fixed sentry guns having unlimited ammo
Fixed sentry gun model being set to level 1 after a sapper is removed

PhaZZe

Banned
ok guys i get it, still im having fun with those contracts, already sold 3 cases. 2 for 0,74 and another one for 1,40. next time will buy day one.
Last time i played so much tf2 was 2 years ago, i forgot how much fun this game have.

Seems like this Gun Mettle update has brought all the hackers. I've never encountered so many in all my time of playing.

Just about every other server I join has or gets one at some point.

Yeef

These map specific contracts are the worst. The bonus CP is always "win some rounds" and I always end up on a team where I'm the only player that's not a Spy, Sniper or AFK and the other team is some group of pub stompers. I really wish they didn't limit the contracts to official servers.

Blizzard

Banned
These map specific contracts are the worst. The bonus CP is always "win some rounds" and I always end up on a team where I'm the only player that's not a Spy, Sniper or AFK and the other team is some group of pub stompers. I really wish they didn't limit the contracts to official servers.
If you don't care about your dignity, you can always just jump between servers running the map until you find one where a team with an open spot has won like 3 rounds in a row. Then you can join and use their momentum.

Yeef

If you don't care about your dignity, you can always just jump between servers running the map until you find one where a team with an open spot has won like 3 rounds in a row. Then you can join and use their momentum.
I'd rather play the game. I don't care about the weapons and cases and such. Contracts are just an excuse to actually play; but if I don't have fun playing then they're not doing the job that they're meant to do.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd rather play the game. I don't care about the weapons and cases and such. Contracts are just an excuse to actually play; but if I don't have fun playing then they're not doing the job that they're meant to do.
I mean, they're encouraging you to win those maps -- you can certainly turn them in early, and I can understand if you don't have fun on those particular maps.

But yeah if you just want the bonus points easily, server jump until you find a winning team and you should get them pretty quickly.

Proven

From what I understand, you get 2 contracts per week, and they don't roll over at all. Miss a week, and you miss the contracts for that week.

Top Bottom