• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry to do this, but he actually still was:
Madness! That was my fault since I didn't notice the scores at the end of that map, just noticed me dominating him once (might have been that map since I had two dominations in your screenshot), and I was ahead at the end of dustbowl by like 1 point. I'm a terrible sniper and kept missing Kirsten though. =(

Scout on defense could do some annoying things to mess up blue... Act like a second spy! You can get past the enemies easily with that invulnerable stuff then you can start harassing the tele entrance or exit. Someone sees you? That's even better, if you can get more than one person chasing you you've become a net benefit for the team.

Yeah exactly how I see it. Basically stand up on the tall building outside of the cap point (with the ladder) and hassle them with your pistol. And definitely take out the teleporter and dispensers. Let the Spy focus more on backstabs.

Shimesaba

tonight on foundry i made a fully charged headshot on the heavy didn't register, headshot on medic, didn't register and then inmediatly after fired like 10 feet away from stevewinwood's face and got a headshot
I think that might be on your end, looking at that 170 ping on Foundry =P

No idea about Yeef...

Blizzard

Banned
I was noticing weird registration too, like the normal lag stuff even though it claimed my ping and everyone else's were under 100. I shot a heavy once and I was almost sure it was 500-1000 ms before they actually died.

I'd like to give Double Cross a try. We've already done 2fort before.

And, surprise, surprise, Dustbowl is still awful, even in highlander.
I don't think it's fair to judge dustbowl with those teams, considering their team didn't have any problem pushing. We didn't see how they would have done on the second half since they won by default.

sixghost

I really enjoy playing Highlander; it just seems like the way the game was designed to be played. It really makes you feel like an important part of the team no matter what class you are, since there is no redundancy. Also, you don't run into any of the annoyances that come from too many of one class, like heavy stacks, or 3 levels 3s guarding one spot. Also, I love how it adds another layer of strategy, in that if you kill an important class like medic or spy, you can call it out and be 100% sure you don't have to deal with one of them for another 15-20 seconds.

Yeef

I really enjoy playing Highlander; it just seems like the way the game was designed to be played. It really makes you feel like an important part of the team no matter what class you are, since there is no redundancy. Also, you don't run into any of the annoyances that come from too many of one class, like heavy stacks, or 3 levels 3s guarding one spot. Also, I love how it adds another layer of strategy, in that if you kill an important class like medic or spy, you can call it out and be 100% sure you don't have to deal with one of them for another 15-20 seconds.
image.php

The lack of correct spelling/grammar in that email perturbs me. I can understand spelling mistakes on quick IMs and stuff... But I don't know, I hold writing emails to a higher standard I guess, lol.

Crap, can someone tell me what the launch option text is for removing the intro and playing in windowed mode but at full screen without a border?

You guys complaining about hitscan misses need to get on my ~20 ping level. It is glorious. The only problem is any time I don't get a headshot I can't make an excuse, it is just my own failing. :(

Proven

Reminder for the UGC Barnblitz team. We have a scrim either tomorrow night or Friday night at 9pm EST. Let me know how available you are by the end of today. Anyone who can't make it will be filled in by anyone else we have available.

Blizzard

Banned
I think it means weapons with more interesting and unique abilities.
And I think they meant they wanted weapon drops and/or weapon enhancements that slightly change weapons, like 5% more crit chance for a rocket launcher, or 3% more damage from a sniper rifle.

I seem to recall this having been mentioned in the past year, like slots ala Torchlight in weapons so you can upgrade them with magical gems or something.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Reminder for the UGC Barnblitz team. We have a scrim either tomorrow night or Friday night at 9pm EST. Let me know how available you are by the end of today. Anyone who can't make it will be filled in by anyone else we have available.

I'll try my darndest to make it but work has been hell this month.

And I think they meant they wanted weapon drops and/or weapon enhancements that slightly change weapons, like 5% more crit chance for a rocket launcher, or 3% more damage from a sniper rifle.

I seem to recall this having been mentioned in the past year, like slots ala Torchlight in weapons so you can upgrade them with magical gems or something.

World of Diablo Fortress of the Ancients.

Kirsten

I'll be there.

thefro

I should be available for either.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm available for either night at 9 EST. Friday would be better for me. It's not like I'm going to be doing anything else on a Friday night, amirite? HOHOHO

Anytime, just have to know about it a few hours ahead of time.

Just finished watching the demo of the UCG match. Man that was a close one. I saw somethings you guys could do to improve.

1. The enemy sniper was one of their best players. He had some really good shots that totally slowed down your offensive. In your next match, you should identify their stronger players and dedicate someone to shutting them down as their top priority. Like having quote or snacks taking out this sniper all the time would have made things easier.

2. You should also be more careful when securing a point. I think it was in the first game where you guys had everyone on the fourth point. The enemy then just popped kritz demo, wiped all of you out, and retook the mid point. Not everyone needs to be capping the point. You should have someone up front scouting out if a kritz is coming in. Then you can fall back quicker.

3. You guys did real well sticking together and working as a team. Better coordination and strategy would improve upon this. Attacking from two separate flanks and waiting for a kritz to be ready would have made taking that last point easier. Don't rush yourselves thinking you have to do something immediately. Take your time. If you have to fall back a bit, then do it. I think it would have been easier if you don't force something to happen, but instead wait for the most opportune time to strike.

I think those were the three main things I saw that could have made it easier. Also, I think the other team was more familiar with the map. Their engineer kept putting that tele on the fourth point in an interesting spot. You guys did really well. Can't wait to watch your barn blitz demos.

sixghost

I watched it too, and it looked like quote was having a hard time getting to the sniper. The pyro tended to hang around him quite a bit, and the sniper was using the razorback. I saw a few times where quote was right behind the sniper without anyone chasing him, but he just couldn't kill the guy with his revolver.

Blizzard

Banned
Just finished watching the demo of the UCG match. Man that was a close one. I saw somethings you guys could do to improve.

1. The enemy sniper was one of their best players. He had some really good shots that totally slowed down your offensive. In your next match, you should identify their stronger players and dedicate someone to shutting them down as their top priority. Like having quote or snacks taking out this sniper all the time would have made things easier.
Quote at least was dedicated to doing this. The issue was that their pyro also basically did nothing but camp their sniper, as far as I'm aware, plus the sniper had the razorback, so all quote could try to do was get close enough to kill him with the pistol (which is unlikely to work if the pyro is camping the sniper spot and constantly spychecking). Getting close enough to ambassador headshot + bodyshot would do it, or maybe 2 very close range enforcer/pistol shots, but again if the pyro spams fire enough that won't work.

On the plus side, that meant the pyro wasn't doing much else for their team which helped us.

And yeah, the engineer kept putting the teleporter in a spot that only soldiers and demomen (maybe scouts) can reach. It's a Lemeilleur thing to do (I can't spell his name)!

Kade

You're supposed to do that! Intel is important, especially in Highlander.

I know, I know. I played CS competitively and I'm used to sharing and receiving intel but I feel some people on my team were annoyed by the frequency and minutia of my calls.

I wasn't really watching quote play. I just noticed that sniper getting head shot after head shot. The enemy strategy seemed to boil down to this: They would rush mid with the scout usually there first. Hope they can pick some of you guys off. Wait for kritz to build. If they had lost too many of their players, then they would fall back. Use kritz to stop you guys from capping or to move themselves forward. Rense and repeat with waiting for kritz again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I apologize for calling out every kill or sighting. In my defense, I was roleplaying my class.
Was this the GAF or UGC Highlander?

In the former, I would say don't worry cause there is no coordination there anyways. In the latter, people should always be calling out, so you were doing your jorb.

Proven

Mumble can record match comms, so next time I'll try to remember that. Basically, what Blizzard said is true. We sent Quote after the Sniper, and the Pyro kept getting on his ass. Quote was able to get picks on everybody but that damned Sniper, so eventually we let it go and depended more on Snacks and Accidante, who really stepped it up at times.

We had barely enough coordination to get our pushes right, so I left the flanks to Snacks and Quote's discretion. Grimm would also just pop up anywhere. As Gunslinger I could have tried doing flanks, but I tend to play better as extra Medic defense, so I stayed selfish. Running down the flanks with a Wrangler would have helped, now that I think about it. I probably should have tried getting Zeke or Matt to do flank pushes more often, as the surprise splash damage is always useful.

Thanks for the critique Pangloss.

I was at a friend's house last night and he recently made a fuckawesome desktop, so of course I loaded up TF2 on it. It looked like a completely different game, when compared to my shitty laptop that with Chris' Maxframes script on it. So bueno.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Mumble can record match comms, so next time I'll try to remember that. Basically, what Blizzard said is true. We sent Quote after the Sniper, and the Pyro kept getting on his ass. Quote was able to get picks on everybody but that damned Sniper, so eventually we let it go and depended more on Snacks and Accidante, who really stepped it up at times.

We had barely enough coordination to get our pushes right, so I left the flanks to Snacks and Quote's discretion. Grimm would also just pop up anywhere. As Gunslinger I could have tried doing flanks, but I tend to play better as extra Medic defense, so I stayed selfish. Running down the flanks with a Wrangler would have helped, now that I think about it. I probably should have tried getting Zeke or Matt to do flank pushes more often, as the surprise splash damage is always useful.

Thanks for the critique Pangloss.

comms. work on them. shut up the rest of you goddamn scrubs.

Top Bottom