• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Proven

Decided to write out the Doomsday achievements. There are 12 in all.

Cap-ogee
-Win a round with at least 5 teammates on the elevator.

Flight Crew
-Play in a game with 5 or more players from your friends list.

Best Case Scenario
-Kill 6 enemies carrying the Australium during the same round.

Escape Ferocity
-Kill an enemy who has damaged the Australium carrier in the last 3 seconds.

Lift-offed
-Push a player into the rocket's exhaust path at the end of the round.

Failure to Launch
-Kill 3 players riding the elevator within 3 seconds.

Mission Control
-Pick up the Australium from it's home position and capture it without dropping it. (Roll them).

Rocket Booster
-Win a round after the enemy has opened the rocket lid. (Reverse roll them).

Space Camp
-Kill an enemy in the broken crate area while they attempt to pick up the neutral Australium.

Plan Nine to Outer Space
-Launch the rocket as all 9 classes.

The Fight Stuff
-Win 138 rounds.

Doomsday Milestone
-Get 7 of the Doomsday achievements. Probably a hat.

Big-E

Does anyone here have a frontier justice or a reserve shooter they would like to trade? I have some normal and scorched crates I would be willing to part with for either of those two items.

Does anyone here have a frontier justice or a reserve shooter they would like to trade? I have some normal and scorched crates I would be willing to part with for either of those two items.

There's a trade thread linked in the OP, and I believe Scorched crates should net you more a lot more than those two items.

I saw some people trade them for around 1 rec/ref (It varies a lot).

I have that new soldier hat (the trash one) and the new scout backpack. Not too crazy about either. I could easily be persuaded into trading them to someone.

Clydefrog

meet the sniper is still my favorite because I always play sniper AND because of the TFC Hunted throwback
wW14P.png

yQdeC.png

Bluth54

My thoughts on the update:

Doomsday - A fun new map/game mode. I've enjoyed the matches I've played on it. Basically just a cross between CTF and King of the Hill. I wonder if Valve will actually make more maps in this game mode or abandon it.

New weapons - I crafted all of them but the new Scout Shotgun (I'll need to get another Shortstop from someone on the Gaf server this weekend). The soldier's new rocket launcher is interesting but I don't really see myself using it all that much. It is nice to load up three rocket and hit everyone on the platform on Doomsday though.

I don't see myself replacing the default flaregun with the new one at this point. The -50 damage penalty is pretty big and the explosion/knockback effect doesn't seem that great.

I might use the new scout pistol, the extra health is nice but now you burn so fast.

I don't see myself using the new sniper SMG. I haven't gotten enough time with the rifle to really rate it.

Day 3 - Kind of a disappointment. Meet the Pyro was great, but I was expecting something kind of big from the actually day 3 announcement, maybe a couple more weapon sets and a couple more maps. The Pyrovision is fun for a few matches though I don't see myself using it all that much.

I really like some of the nefts/buffs. I'm happy to see the Crusader's Crossbow reload finally buffed, it's not worthless now. The flamethrower buffs were long needed. I haven't gotten the chance to try the GRU yet, so I'm looking forward to hiding for a few seconds before entering combat.

Overall the update seemed a bit content lite for something we've been waiting 6 months for. The lack of Grordbort weapons/items was a bit of a surprise, I figured that we would get them in this update. I was also disappointed by the lack of new maps, even a couple of community maps made official would have really help round out the update.

Also I don't think I'll be able to resist buying the Meet the Pyro Lithographs or the team portraits even though I have no room on my walls for them. I'm sure I'll have room someday!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The new weapons are an absolute blast to play with and add some nice variety to what's already in the game (the new rifle makes me wish I was better at Sniper).

Aesthet1c

Has anyone had any stability issues since the patch?

I don't play a lot of TF2, but I wanted to start up again since the patch, and my game is constantly crashing.

Never had any issues playing the game prior to this..

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Got an extra Lollichop - anyone wanna trade one of the other Pyrovision items for it?

Rocket jumping with the Beggar's Bazooka is so weird. With the angle variance and the staggered fire, the only consistent use I've found so far for loading multiple rockets is to do a wall climb with a huge initial boost... otherwise it's just single rocket jumping like normal. Could probably be used for some speed pogo shenanigans, but I'm still working on that with a regular RL, heh. Maybe people with better dexterity will be able to aim between each rocket, but that's gonna be some fast flicking. O.x

Looking forward to seeing the crazy stuff that awesome trick jumpers will be able to pull off at least. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Got an extra Lollichop - anyone wanna trade one of the other Pyrovision items for it?

Rocket jumping with the Beggar's Bazooka is so weird. With the angle variance and the staggered fire, the only consistent use I've found so far for loading multiple rockets is to do a wall climb with a huge initial boost... otherwise it's just single rocket jumping like normal. Could probably be used for some speed pogo shenanigans, but I'm still working on that with a regular RL, heh. Maybe people with better dexterity will be able to aim between each rocket, but that's gonna be some fast flicking. O.x

Looking forward to seeing the crazy stuff that awesome trick jumpers will be able to pull off at least. :p
I want to see what quick fix medics can do with demo jumps. :p Too bad it can't overheal though.

phantasy star online, hooooo

shame on you

Well excuse me for not being like, 40 years old, already!

XeroSauce

Best part of this update was definitely the weapon balances. Medic Archer is finally viable, Tomislav/GRU isn't an overpowered subclass, the Bonk Drinks are viable again..

Blizzard

Banned
Best part of this update was definitely the weapon balances. Medic Archer is finally viable, Tomislav/GRU isn't an overpowered subclass, the Bonk Drinks are viable again..
The problem with this is that I practically never used the tomislav before, and I don't see how it's even viable now, much like natascha. People who want the heavy deleted from the game are probably fine with this, but I don't think that's fair unless we can delete demomans too. :D

http://youtu.be/AIpVvhlctoE?hd=1

I guess medics have to air strafe to stick with the person they're healing? Not sure.

http://youtu.be/M-wfp_Wora8?hd=1
http://youtu.be/JmwOkBdXPa4?hd=1
That would make sense...I never do enough rocket jumping to know that it air strafing has much effect on soldiers and demomans I guess.

Proven

I had a replay to explain QuickFix jumping, but it crashed TF2, so I'll just explain it manually.

Basically QuickFix jumping has three factors considered when that Soldier or Demoman performs his jump.

1. Are you touching the ground? If you're in the air for any reason when they jump, say because you were bunny hopping or dropping down from a ledge, then you won't go anywhere. This also means that stuff like pogoing, multi-det air jumps, and wall jumps are all out.

2. Are you moving? If you're not moving then you'll be given the horizontal and vertical vector that the Soldier or Demoman achieved from their jump. You definitely don't want this though, as usually the teammate will jump from the edge of a platform, while you'll be pulled along from the middle of the platform. They'll then just barely land where they want to, while you'll fall two stories to massive fall damage.

3. If you are moving, you overwrite the horizontal vector's direction. This means that if you're moving backwards when the teammate is jumping forwards, the two of you will go in opposite directions. I'm unsure if the magnitude stays the same, and I kinda hope it doesn't, as your faster running speed would then allow you to keep up with the Soldier or Demoman even if they started their jump ten feet away from you.

I think, but this also has to be looked into, that if you jump at the exact moment the teammate blast jumps, the force of your regular jump is applied to the magnitude of the vector in some way. Horizontal only or vertical and horizontal, I'm not sure.

Finally, regular air control (strafing, etc.) rules apply.

Randdalf

So I just finished making my King of the Hill map, Chasm. I don't know if you're interested in custom maps here much or not, but here it is anyway. Unfortunate timing on my part for releasing on the same day as this massive update, but there you are.

promo_shadow.png

Inspired by Doublecross, Hightower and Viaduct, Chasm is a fun and fast-paced KotH map with a night theme. A deep chasm cuts through to the control point - don't get blasted into the depths!

BY2K

Membero Americo
The new flare gun is ass.
The new rocket launcher is ridiculous. On Defense it destroys everything.
The new Sniper is amazing.

So I just finished making my King of the Hill map, Chasm. I don't know if you're interested in custom maps here much or not, but here it is anyway. Unfortunate timing on my part for releasing on the same day as this massive update, but there you are.

promo_shadow.png

YAY MAPS

We play many custom maps on the server and I'm sure yours will be played a few times and more regularly if it's enjoyed.

http://youtu.be/AIpVvhlctoE?hd=1

I guess medics have to air strafe to stick with the person they're healing? Not sure.

http://youtu.be/M-wfp_Wora8?hd=1
http://youtu.be/JmwOkBdXPa4?hd=1

Looks like on what direction the medic is going toward to. Could put him in a bad position.

promo_shadow.png

I would try it if Yeef puts in on the server :)

Sianos

The pyro invasion begins!

The new map is lots of fun, it's like CTF meets KOTH meets Hightower. Fun to just jump around with the Gunboats deathmatching people.

The new rocket launcher isn't the best on offense with you having to charge up before each rocket, but its good on defense, where the enemies come to you. Rocket jumping is a bit odd, I have to get used to holding the button and releasing when I want to jump. I have a feeling "holding" your rockets is a bug, as its pretty finicky and continues the reload animation.

AcciDante

The new Sniper is amazing.

I actually really didn't like the Focus ability on it. Maybe I could get used to it, but it was messing me up! I rely on going out of scope to juke around and reorient my shot, but then focus activates when you're in the middle of the fight and keeps you in scope. Then I'm easy pickins!

Smithy C

The new update re-energized my love of TF2... And my love of opening crates D: If anyone wants the new Soldier or Scout hat, get at me.

Forkball

promo_shadow.png

You had us at Hightower.

Top Bottom