• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Forkball

I got my code for the Robot Chicken hat and got it immediately after I activated it. The hat actually has two styles: normal and beakless. However, the beakless one is broken and results in an invisible hat. So if you ever wanted a hatless soldier, now's your chance.

BY2K

Membero Americo
God fucking damn it, I got another damn Strange Tribalman shit.

Not even sure I can get a scrap for this!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Is the new pyro backpack not for sale in the store?

Weird.

The new cosmetics are not in the store yet. They will be when the Scorched Crates expire, similar to what happened with the Naughty and Nice crates last year.

new 159 mb patch?

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added sd_doomsday to the mapcycle files
Fixed exploit that allowed Beggar's Bazooka to indefinitely hold rockets in the chamber without misfiring
Fixed hatless hats not not-drawing correctly
Fixed bugs with The Hitman’s Heatmaker
Headshot kills now properly decapitate
Bodyshot damage penalty is properly applied
Fixed sound issues while in focus
Fixed missing DX8 particle effects
Fixed seeing through Sniper fences in 2Fort when using Pyrovision
Fixed the second style for the Robot Chicken hat
Teddy Roosebelt can now get assist credits
Updated sd_doomsday:
Players can now fall into the launch pad after the rocket lifts off
Optimized some prop_dynamics to reduce server hitching
Engineers can no longer build teleporters behind the spawn
Players will no longer get pushed through the terrain if the elevator falls on them
Death pits now kill dead ringer Spies
Lowered the frequency of announcer lines

Sianos

Aw, they fixed the rocket holding bug already. :(

I have a decent GPU and enough RAM, but think its my crappy CPU that's holding me back. I'll probably build a stronger machine soon, at the latest when the new console specs are announced.

sixghost

^^ Maybe I did, but that sounded a little hostile to me.

I dunno, I haven't been in this thread that long at all, so maybe I'm not familiar with the general sarcasm or humor.

You don't know the half of it. When he gets that way he uses words like frick, and darn it.

Oreoleo

^^ Maybe I did, but that sounded a little hostile to me.

I dunno, I haven't been in this thread that long at all, so maybe I'm not familiar with the general sarcasm or humor.

All I meant was my post would have included stronger language cause I care so little about the TF2 backstory that I had no idea what the fuck (there it is!) you guys were going on about. Everyone was calm, no one claimed you were derailing anything... honestly your reply caught me a little off guard. I was just being flippant. It's the internet, after all.

You don't know the half of it. When he gets that way he uses words like frick, and darn it.

See, my reputation precedes me.

BlackJace

All I meant was my post would have included stronger language cause I care so little about the TF2 backstory that I had no idea what the fuck (there it is!) you guys were going on about.

Ah ok. I just thought it would be interesting to talk about for a bit.

But yeah, TF2 is fun, yada yada yada :)

Oreoleo

On that note, I'm a little annoyed by the (forgetting the term).. how "RED" and "BLU" used to be acronyms and now apparently are also the first part of the names of the people that own/run each respective company? That's a little too convenient for me, couldn't Valve just leave well enough alone?

Blizzard

Banned

But yeah, TF2 is fun, yada yada yada :)
I do think it's interesting to talk about, and it's a welcome mix with the gameplay posts. Valve made silly lore for TF2, so I think that talking about it in a community TF2 thread makes perfect sense. Don't let commodore borgnine shut you down. :)

BlackJace

I do think it's interesting to talk about, and it's a welcome mix with the gameplay posts. Valve made silly lore for TF2, so I think that talking about it in a community TF2 thread makes perfect sense. Don't let commodore borgnine shut you down. :)

Thanks. Lore is one of my favorite things about games.
That must be why I swear Metroid Prime is the best game ever

couldn't Valve just leave well enough alone?

I think Valve likes to tinker with backstories alot. I think every game excluding Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat has some form of lore.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I think Valve likes to tinker with backstories alot.

Yeah they do. The Demoman's backstory changed between the 2007 launch and the 2009 WAR! update. He originally accidentally killed his parents in an explosion; later, they changed it so that he only killed his adoptive parents. He now lives with his biological mother.

Oreoleo

I think Valve likes to tinker with backstories alot. I think every game excluding Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat has some form of lore.

Yeah they do. The Demoman's backstory changed between the 2007 launch and the 2009 WAR! update. He originally accidentally killed his parents in an explosion; later, they changed it so that he only killed his adoptive parents. He now lives with his biological mother.

To clarify, the bolded is what I'm annoyed with, rather than Valve having fun with their backstory. I have no problem with Poopy Joe or Dr Grordbort or Redmann or Bluetoch or any other crazy shit they put in the game, I just want a little internal consistency :\

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

They have definitely become more interested in the story writing and universe making of their games over the past decade. I mean, we all know and love Half-Life and the conspiracy theories that fly around, but until Portal and TF2 came along they never really pushed that craft elsewhere (understandably, considering what IPs Valve were running with pre-Orange Box) with it.

I'd really like to see their take on an RPG of sorts. Sci-fi or fantasy, I don't care. It'd be great to see what stories, dialogue, and characterization Valve's writers could accomplish when the bread & butter of an RPG is the literature and imagination of it all.

Maddocks

i signed up for the hat....got the code, put it in.....and nothing. even played a game, backed out, restarted my comp and still nothing.

valve hates and i gave em money!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
To clarify, the bolded is what I'm annoyed with, rather than Valve having fun with their backstory. I have no problem with Poopy Joe or Dr Grordbort or Redmann or Bluetoch or any other crazy shit they put in the game, I just want a little internal consistency :\

Well, what they originally had was a blurb for the trading card. They changed the parents detail so they could get Mrs. DeGroot into the WAR! comic.

Valve backstories are awesome. They're fun to read about when people put two and two together when I can't be bothered to--especially when it's uncovering game files, etc. (mainly talking about L4D with this post)

Valve backstories are awesome. They're fun to read about when people put two and two together when I can't be bothered to--especially when it's uncovering game files, etc. (mainly talking about L4D with this post)

Seriously. I love how they make an FPS with no story whatsoever and build story into it. TF2 makes me happy when reading into the lore.

I WANNA KNOW WHO THAT PERSON IS IN THE CENTER OF THE TWO RIPPED HALVES!!!

sixghost

The rainblower is almost unusable. The model is huge, and blocks your view, it's really hard to tell where you flames are going, and you can hardly see a dead ringing spy burning because the burn animation is less visible.

Hopefully it's just because of the lower settings I use, but it kind of sucks.

Proven

UGC HIGHLANDER UPDATE

Apparently we're ranked 51st in our division. As awesome as that is, it also means our next few matches are probably no joke.

Roster for Monday:

Scout: Steve
Soldier: NSQuote
Pyro: Grimm
Demoman: Wartime
Heavy: DogWelder
Engineer: Proven
Medic: Kirsten
Sniper: Accidante
Spy: SolidSnake

The map is cp_standin, and it's not a terrible map. It's just not really made for highlander...

Anyway, I'll be doing tf2lobby with a few guys in 20 minutes or so. Let me know if you're available.

May theDogWelder be with you.

Yeef

As far as GAF maps go, Chasm is pretty good.

[EDIT] Also:

• I need to borrow the pyroland weapons from someone so I can figure out what their weapon codes are, so I can add them to the stat tracking.
  • If anyone needs any of the new weapons (except the carbine or the trash shot), I have tons of them. I have another account full of crafting stuff, but I'm too lazy to make more.

BY2K

Membero Americo
As far as GAF maps go, Chasm is pretty good.

[EDIT] Also:

• I need to borrow the pyroland weapons from someone so I can figure out what their weapon codes are, so I can add them to the stat tracking.
  • If anyone needs any of the new weapons (except the carbine or the trash shot), I have tons of them. I have another account full of crafting stuff, but I'm too lazy to make more.

Can I have some of the burnt scrap?

Yeef

After messing around some with the new weapons, the Sniper set is clearly the best in this update (and one of the best released period, I think). Couple of notes:

• The Escape Plan (fast version of equalizer) deals standard melee damage at all health amounts (65, 195 crit), so it outclasses the shovel and the equalizer pretty easily. Personally, I think they should make it do less damage as your health goes down.
  • Getting kills with the new SMG gives you 3 seconds of crits for ALL weapons. Even with just the crit being for the SMG, I was getting a decent amount of kills with it. Getting crits for your other weapons makes it a no-brainer vs. the stadard SMG.
  • The new rifle shows tracers like the Machina while focused. Also, getting more kills/assists while focused still increases your meter, so you could, theoretically, keep the bonus for the whole round once you get it.
  • You can manually un-zoom while focused and it doesn't make you lose focus.
  • The weapon codes for the new sniper weapons are pro_rifle and pro_smg.
  • The Rainblower taunt kill is called armageddon.
  • The scorchshot taunt kill seems to only kill on a direct hit at (relatively) close range. I managed to get a direct hit at max distance and it just acted like a normal shot.

Hey Yeef, could you also put a stat for most Balloonicorn assists?
Not sure if that's possible. Someone would need to give me one to try it out.

When I got kills tonight, both as pyro (with a brain slug) and engineer (with Simon Smith), they never got assists.

Top Bottom