• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Proven

6ZHpA.jpg

There you go. Don't say I don't deliver.
And to add to Kirsten's post, here's something recent I found talking about the map's strategy http://www.ugcleague.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11150

Summary, Red has advantage on this map. Points 1-4 (left side of the map) are considered Blu territory, 6-8 (right side) considered Red territory, and the Fountain, point 5, is the center. While Blu has more points in their territory, it is much easier for Red to hold theirs and do constant flanks, which gives Red its advantage. Most of the fighting will happen around the Library, Balcony, and Fountain, the entrances to that area giving Red more height advantage than Blu.

And there are forward spawns. Oh god.

Blizzard

Banned
6ZHpA.jpg

There you go. Don't say I don't deliver.
Nice pink background (is that construction paper?), but also needs capture points marked with hearts, or perhaps stars.

And why would someone make a bidirectional point-capture map that favors red? That's just bizarre. Do we at least get to switch sides? Still seems odd.

DogWelder

I play pyro mostly. now of days I can probably hold my own. because I own thel reddit scrubs all day everyday, but back in the day when I was just getting back into the game I went to gaf server and got so badly owned I stopped playing the game for a week.

the ownage is really what made me sign up for gaf because I didn't want to get owned anymore, I wanted to learn how to play.
Just join us man.

Proven

Nice pink background (is that construction paper?), but also needs capture points marked with hearts, or perhaps stars.

And why would someone make a bidirectional point-capture map that favors red? That's just bizarre. Do we at least get to switch sides? Still seems odd.

The map is based off a TFC map that was recreated in TF2 to use capture points.

Final bits of info, found in the first and last post of this thread http://www.ugcleague.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11062

First, Domination Points (DP) are gained at .2 DP every five seconds per point owned. This means that the point gain rates are:
1 capture point = 25 seconds of cap time per Dom point
2 capture points = 12 seconds of cap time per DOM point
3 capture points = 8 seconds of cap time per DOM point
4 capture points = 7 seconds of cap time per DOM point
5 capture points = 5 seconds of cap time per DOM point
6 capture points = 4 seconds of cap time per DOM point
7 capture points = 3 seconds of cap time per DOM point
8 capture points = victory​

Rewritten:
1 capture point = 1 DP every 25 seconds
2 capture points = 1 DP every 12 seconds
3 capture points = 1 DP every 8 seconds
4 capture points = 1 DP every 7 seconds
5 capture points = 1 DP every 5 seconds
6 capture points = 1 DP every 4 seconds
7 capture points = 1 DP every 3 seconds​

If at any time you own all 8 capture points, you don't have to wait for your DP total to hit 100. You automatically win.

It takes 8 seconds at x2 cap speed to capture each control point, with the exception of RED and BLU warehouse, which take 10 seconds at x2 cap speed each.

Second, forward spawns. I'm just going to copy paste it here from the last post in that thread:

Spawns
The original spawnroom has 16 spawn points.
Blue will gain access to 8 spawn points in small warehouse if Blue owns small warehouse.
Blue will gain access to 8 spawn points in archroom if Blue owns archroom.
Red will gain access to 8 spawn points in boathouse if Red owns boathouse.
Red will gain access to 8 spawn points in balcony if Red owns balcony.

Example #1
If you are on blue and own the small warehouse, you have a 16/24 chance of spawning in the original spawn, and have a 8/24 chance of spawning in the small warehouse.

Example #2
If you are on red and own both the boathouse and the balcony, you have a 16/32 chance of spawning in the original spawn, a 8/32 chance of spawning in the boathouse, and a 8/32 chance of spawning in the balcony.

The spawn points cycle by area through all the spawn points, so if one person spawns in balcony, then you know next 7 spawns will also be in the balcony.

There are no respawn triggers in additional forward spawns, meaning if you try to switch weapons you will kill yourself.​

That last point, the lack of respawn triggers, will only get you killed if you have an option set in multiplayer options. Otherwise it's like forward spawns on a map like Granary, where you can't change your load out after spawning until you touch a locker, but I don't think there's a locker in those forward spawn rooms.

Note to self: Use Preview button more often. No more edits to this post.

Clydefrog

Canalzone (I think it was called cz2) was really fun in TFC. Do you have to grab the flags from your base and carry them to the capture points?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Maybe this is the place to ask...But I just started playing this. I don't know why, but I had a weird urge to try it the other day. I really dig playing Medic and was wondering if there were any "tips" to playing him.

Last night, I played a match that was nearly all Pyros. It wasn't very fun as I pretty much died every time I turned a corner. Is that common with Medics? Other maps I played seemed to go better, but with an over abundance of fire being strewn about, I felt like I got the short end of the stick.

Proven

One of my top 3 videos to come out of the SFM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YrrAroK6bI
He will be finishing the song.

Maybe this is the place to ask...But I just started playing this. I don't know why, but I had a weird urge to try it the other day. I really dig playing Medic and was wondering if there were any "tips" to playing him.

Last night, I played a match that was nearly all Pyros. It wasn't very fun as I pretty much died every time I turned a corner. Is that common with Medics? Other maps I played seemed to go better, but with an over abundance of fire being strewn about, I felt like I got the short end of the stick.

Play Soldier.

thefro

It's best of 3. I would assume we'll be home team and get to be red twice.

Yeef

As a medic, you want to find good players and stick by them. That doesn't mean ONLY heal one guy, but you should generally have a buddy or two that you stay close to. You don't have to be looking directly at your heal target to heal them, so you want to watch the rear while your patient deals with the stuff in the front. That means, when going around corners, your patient should be going first and you should be using the corner as cover.

Generally, you want to just be dodging incoming fire rather than returning fire yourself, but if the enemy is already damaged and/or you're all alone, don't be afraid to whip out the syringe gun and defend yourself. Just keep in mind that you're trying to escape. If the enemy retreats DON'T chase them if you're all alone. Fall back and find some teammates to heal.

As a medic, your life is worth more than the life of most other classes and any [good] enemies are going to make killing you a priority even if they die themselves in the process, because it's still a net gain for their team. If someone you're healing is leading you to certain doom, don't feel guilty about backing off and leaving them to die. May players have a bad habit of overextending while they're being healed. Don't let their hubris get you killed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As a medic, you want to find good players and stick by them. That doesn't mean ONLY heal one guy, but you should generally have a buddy or two that you stay close to. You don't have to be looking directly at your heal target to heal them, so you want to watch the rear while your patient deals with the stuff in the front. That means, when going around corners, your patient should be going first and you should be using the corner as cover.

Generally, you want to just be dodging incoming fire rather than returning fire yourself, but if the enemy is already damaged and/or you're all alone, don't be afraid to whip out the syringe gun and defend yourself. Just keep in mind that you're trying to escape. If the enemy retreats DON'T chase them if you're all alone. Fall back and find some teammates to heal.

As a medic, your life is worth more than the life of most other classes and any [good] enemies are going to make killing you a priority even if they die themselves in the process, because it's still a net gain for their team. If someone you're healing is leading you to certain doom, don't feel guilty about backing off and leaving them to die. May players have a bad habit of overextending while they're being healed. Don't let their hubris get you killed.

Fantastic and very helpful information. Thank you for this!

Play on GAF. Find a good solider, heavy, or demoman to buddy up with, and have fun. You'll figure out how to stay alive and what not through practice. Watch your back for spies, and be aware that most of us will die in order to kill you.

Use corners to your advantage. Don't blindly pop your uber. Make sure it is a good time to do it.

Alienups

I play pyro mostly. now of days I can probably hold my own. because I own thel reddit scrubs all day everyday, but back in the day when I was just getting back into the game I went to gaf server and got so badly owned I stopped playing the game for a week.

the ownage is really what made me sign up for gaf because I didn't want to get owned anymore, I wanted to learn how to play.

Im a mediocre player and the lag makes playing even just decently hard enough but i still have lots of fun on the gaf. Just hop in.

Alienups

Remember to turn 'medigun continues healing without holding down the fire button' on in multiplayer advanced options if you haven't already done so.

And try to keep the player you're healing between you and the enemies, you're more important than them, let them tank it/die.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Remember to turn 'medigun continues healing without holding down the fire button' on in multiplayer advanced options if you haven't already done so.

And try to keep the player you're healing between you and the enemies, you're more important than them, let them tank it/die.

Did not know this was an option. Thanks!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Always heal people fighting or going to fight. Unless someone is on fire or about to die heading back to you ALWAYS heal the person fighting/going to fight.

Other than that keep your head on a swivel and always identify places for quick exits. Players on GAF don't protect medics and almost always over extend to get you killed. Retreat and let them die.

Javaman

Did not know this was an option. Thanks!

I don't use that option, but another good one is the automatic heal notification. It'll let you see a popup on your hud showing you where people are that are below your healing threshold. I think mine is set at 70% or so. Also constantly scan your mouse through nearby teammates to ceck their health and top them off. Prioritize your main person if pushing in with an uber and run with them. Two people can rush into a sentry much easier than one.

Blizzard

Banned
I use the medic heal option because holding down the mouse button constantly means additional handcramps and carpal tunnel for me, or something. :(

Javaman

Any particular reason why?

They didn't have that feature in the beginning (or I just didn't notice it) and when I tried it out it just felt clunky when switching to other people to heal. Having to hold the button just feels like I have more control over whomever I am healing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I use the medic heal option because holding down the mouse button constantly means additional handcramps and carpal tunnel for me, or something. :(

Yeah but it makes it that much more difficult to control who you're healing in a crowd.

Also Canalzone is a ton of fun. Love that map.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah but it makes it that much more difficult to control who you're healing in a crowd.

Also Canalzone is a ton of fun. Love that map.
I would think it's easier in a crowd, since it stays locked on the person I'm healing rather than switching if my finger ever slips. You can still do quick clicks to change in a crowd, just like you'd have to do with the option flipped the other way.

Side note, it's really annoying when the medic beam seems to just be invisible half the time even when it's working.

I don't use that option, but another good one is the automatic heal notification. It'll let you see a popup on your hud showing you where people are that are below your healing threshold. I think mine is set at 70% or so. Also constantly scan your mouse through nearby teammates to ceck their health and top them off. Prioritize your main person if pushing in with an uber and run with them. Two people can rush into a sentry much easier than one.
I don't use it either. It annoys me for some reason.

sixghost

FYI, the team you guys lost to in barn blitz lost last night, so that puts you guys on an even field.

I think someone said that you tend to get matched up with teams around your ranking in UGC. They got matched up with another team that was undefeated, so I assume they were pretty good.

That team fucked us up though.

edit:
Just checked, and we are hilariously ranked above Liberty. #28

So I believe everyone on the team has been in two matches each, except for wartime and Zeke. There are four weeks left, so if everything goes as planned y'all will get two more games unless you can't make a week or something.

Week 5 roster is based on DMing and team balance:

Scout: Snacks
Soldier: fallengorn
Pyro: sixghost
Demoman: wartime
Heavy: Blizzard
Engineer: Proven
Medic: Oreo
Sniper: Accidante
Spy: Matt

Map is dom_canalzone.

fuck

For those new to the GAF server, we play around 9:00 EST to about 11:00 or 12:00 EST. Also, if you need advice or you are rolling medic, then just always ask yourself this question: What would Borgnine do? Borgnine is obviously our best player who plays soldier. So constantly follow him and keep him healed. He'll never steer you wrong.

For those new to the GAF server, we play around 9:00 EST to about 11:00 or 12:00 EST. Also, if you need advice or you are rolling medic, then just always ask yourself this question: What would Borgnine do? Borgnine is obviously our best player who plays soldier. So constantly follow him and keep him healed. He'll never steer you wrong.

"Borgnine is obviously our best player who plays soldier."

whatever happened to fallengorn?

I got a Fancy Dress Uniform as a drop. EVERY FUCKING SINGLE MISC I GOTTEN ARE FOR SOLDIER

Well, except for that Hairpiece for the engie.

Sianos

I got a Fancy Dress Uniform as a drop. EVERY FUCKING SINGLE MISC I GOTTEN ARE FOR SOLDIER

Well, except for that Hairpiece for the engie.

You can give me your soldier miscs! :D

I usually get bottom tier hats like the plunger and hatless hats, but you know what they say: a hat is a hat is a hat. BE THANKFUL TO THE HAT GODS.

You can give me your soldier miscs! :D

I usually get bottom tier hats like the plunger and hatless hats, but you know what they say: a hat is a hat is a hat. BE THANKFUL TO THE HAT GODS.

fuck the hat gods. Why I don't get the Eyes for pyro instead of one for a class I barely play? *entitlement*

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Borgnine handicaps himself because he's so good. Why else would he use the Disciplinary Action or the Cow Mangler?

Finally someone gets it: when I suck I'm doing it on purpose.

Medic tips: if you have 100% charge, heal me for a good minute or so until I think you're waiting for me to run out so you can activate your charge. When I run out, do not activate it. Bonus points if you give it to someone else. Also, ignore my screams of pain to continue to pocket your heavy.

Top Bottom