• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

sixghost

Watching some videos for kothwaste, it looks like a great sniper map.

Really? It's small as shit and the only decent sniper spot is easily accessed if the other team is even breaking even in the fight for the middle.

The only time I could imagine a sniper being effective other than the odd kill is if your team has full control of the middle, then you can just take potshots at people coming through the lower entrance. You should really try some lobbies on the map, I think you're going need to get a good feel for where you can safely be based on the ebb and flow of map control.

AcciDante

Watching some videos for kothwaste, it looks like a great sniper map.

Yeah, it really can be, but like sixghost said, the team needs to keep the heat off you or you're going to be pretty useless. I'd probably run jarate on this one to drench the point. If anyone gets up to your sniper spot, you're not gonna be able to SMG them out.

Really? It's small as shit and the only decent sniper spot is easily accessed if the other team is even breaking even in the fight for the middle.

The only time I could imagine a sniper being effective other than the odd kill is if your team has full control of the middle, then you can just take potshots at people coming through the lower entrance. You should really try some lobbies on the map, I think you're going need to get a good feel for where you can safely be based on the ebb and flow of map control.

You clearly have never seen me go on a no-scope body shot rampage! Small maps are fun. But yeah I plan to definitely get some practice in before Monday night.

And yeah, jarate all over the point.

Sianos

I think I'll run whip to get the Medic, Heavy, and Pyro to the point quickly. From there I'll do what I usually do, killing important targets and providing damage support, the usual Soldier stuff. Maybe swap to Pain Train after the initial rollout for added capping power.

We'll play lobbies to get used to the map, we have a week to strategize and it isn't a complex map.

Boney

Banned
I think I'll run whip to get the Medic, Heavy, and Pyro to the point quickly. From there I'll do what I usually do, killing important targets and providing damage support, the usual Soldier stuff. Maybe swap to Pain Train after the initial rollout for added capping power.

We'll play lobbies to get used to the map, we have a week to strategize and it isn't a complex map.

use the direct hit

http://www.facebook.com/DrGrordborts
The Dr. Grordbort's transport rocket is departing shortly for Comic Con in San Diego.
Packed full of Triumph, it's due to make a one-point landing at Booth #3513B ( Weta Workshop ) for opening night on Wednesday.

Also aboard will be Grordbort's artist and simpleton, Greg Broadmore.
He will be chained to a table and forced to sign books against his will.
He will also be whipped, but that will be later and you will have to book in advance to watch.

so by tomorrow night we'll know whether we're getting new items soon or not.

Javaman

NSQuote, I served with Borgnine, I knew Borgnine, Borgnine was a friend of mine. NSQuote, you're no Borgnine.

Sianos

NSQuote, I served with Borgnine, I knew Borgnine, Borgnine was a friend of mine. NSQuote, you're no Borgnine.
I'm usually into the fancy rocket jump rollouts and not really into domination fantasies, but in Borgnine's honor and for the good of the team I'll bust out the "riding" crop.

thefro

Well, the goal's going to be to hold up at those lower & upper entrances and to cut the enemy off with sticky traps, minis, etc before they can even enter the middle and then rotate over if we see them pushing more heavily in one direction.

If we're huddled up at the point after we cap we're doing it wrong.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I'm usually into the fancy rocket jump rollouts and not really into domination fantasies, but in Borgnine's honor and for the good of the team I'll bust out the "riding" crop.

You're not using right unless no one waits for you. Also even though there's a 25% damage penalty, it makes it up in psychological warfare. It really lowers the other teams moral when one of them gets slapped down like a punk bitch.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, the goal's going to be to hold up at those lower & upper entrances and to cut the enemy off with sticky traps, minis, etc before they can even enter the middle and then rotate over if we see them pushing more heavily in one direction.

Someone made the observation last night that the map may be very spawn-campable. Someone should investigate that, and maybe put down like 30 stickies to see if it works.

I'm surprised it's not painfully hot. Elevating the bottom of the laptop, lowering some settings, and/or using one of those silly laptop fan cooler plates can all help.

I'm no expert but my general feeling is that anything over 60C is the danger zone for a CPU, and anything over 70-80C is the danger zone for a GPU. For short periods of time or with different parts you might get lucky (I had an old card that I'd forget to crank the fan on, and it would end up at 100C or more). But especially with a laptop, if one part goes down you are probably unlikely to be able to just swap that part, so be careful if you can.

My laptop's battery kind of elevates it off the desk. I've seen those laptop plates but I haven't heard if they work well or not. And my settings, lol. I don't think I can lower them much more than what I play with:

53D806BD23FD4F470B2DF52BE3F8DBDCD7824CC8

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll see if I can clean out the vents and stuff.

My laptop's battery kind of elevates it off the desk. I've seen those laptop plates but I haven't heard if they work well or not. And my settings, lol. I don't think I can lower them much more than what I play with:

53D806BD23FD4F470B2DF52BE3F8DBDCD7824CC8

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll see if I can clean out the vents and stuff.

If you manage to clear it out, then good:)

Your specs should be able to run TF2 better while looking normal. Get some Arctic Silver in there :O

Proven

This. There is practically no safe place out near the point, and if a jumper class makes it through your main doors they can quickly rotate up and go for a medic pick.

Because of that, the point takes a decently long time to cap, and most often you'll get it because you're pushing the enemy back so far that you can use their cover against them.

Dammit Dog. The one thing I learned about this map is that the Medic will die a lot. I can't use anything other than the Vita-Saw. And the dimensions of the map make Quick-Fix too dicey. Bleh.

Quote, Wartime, and Solidsnake will have field days. Soka, practice your Jarate throwing arm. It'll be devastating.

Blizzard

Banned
This. There is practically no safe place out near the point, and if a jumper class makes it through your main doors they can quickly rotate up and go for a medic pick.

Because of that, the point takes a decently long time to cap, and most often you'll get it because you're pushing the enemy back so far that you can use their cover against them.

Dammit Dog. The one thing I learned about this map is that the Medic will die a lot. I can't use anything other than the Vita-Saw. And the dimensions of the map make Quick-Fix too dicey. Bleh.

Quote, Wartime, and Solidsnake will have field days. Soka, practice your Jarate throwing arm. It'll be devastating.
Quick fix + rocket and demo jumps = SUPER PRO!

thefro

Everyone's going to die a lot. The key is going to be calling stuff out, buddying up, reacting and out-DMing the other team.

It's first to 4 caps, so I think we'll see nearly all the enemy team's tricks in the first couple rounds.

TF2 update. Small one.

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added the ESL Season VI and Season VII medals
Fixed a client/server crash when re-connecting to the item server
Fixed The Business Casual tie not being blue for the Blue team
Fixed body groups not hiding correctly on ragdolls

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunate timing on that patch. :S Had fun tonight though!

For some reason I always do better in these Highlanders when I'm subbing in, haha. and the performance doesn't go on my Janklander record

Top Bottom