• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Did anyone report the win?

It says we're still 4 - 1. We'd shoot up pretty high in rank as a 5 - 1.

Edit: And it just happened. We're #9 now. Out of 130 active teams in our division.

Forkball

Apparently if you force Pyrovision in Mann Manor, you see this.

693D00A8109263D19947FBBCAB1D450CB018E7AE

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I just started playing TF2, I know I'm 5 years too late. But holy shit, it takes 10 minutes to play on a server. What is this?
You picked a bad server with:
a) a large custom map hosted by a hamster running in Russia
b) 8000 custom sound files and textures

Normal TF2 starts in 15 seconds. Once you grab all that custom stuff you are good to go in the future though.

You picked a bad server with:
a) a large custom map hosted by a hamster running in Russia
b) 8000 custom sound files and textures

Normal TF2 starts in 15 seconds. Once you grab all that custom stuff you are good to go in the future though.

Lol, I dont know how I can locate the normal servers, picked some 32p games :p

Bluth54

Lol, I dont know how I can locate the normal servers, picked some 32p games :p

I would avoid 32 player games. I know it seems like having a higher player count would be better, but the game and the maps are really designed for 24 players. Also avoid servers that mess with the respawn timer, again the game is designed to have certain respawn timers and making respawns shorter or instant screw with the game design and balance.

The worst are 32 player insta-spawn servers.

In our division (Steel Red) there are 2 6-0 teams and 12 5-1 teams (us being one of those 12). Two of those 12 are West timezone, but I don't think that makes a difference.

So, aren't we tied for 3rd? I'm not sure how we're 9th specifically if there are 12 teams with our record.

Edit: Oh, match points are a factor too, nevermind. I think we're 10th now, some other team reported in and is above us.

Blizzard

Banned
So I just started playing TF2, I know I'm 5 years too late. But holy shit, it takes 10 minutes to play on a server. What is this?
Joining the NeoGAF server takes forever for me too, like 2 minutes loading or something. Once everything is loaded it connects pretty quickly. Then again I have an old computer that's like an e8400 and 7200 rpm drive and 4GB memory and whatnot.

Clydefrog

I have a pretty fast computer (I'm cool, I know that) and TF2 takes the longest to load a game. But only for the first time. Once the first map has been loaded, all subsequent maps will load within a couple seconds. Even when switching servers. I'm usually the first person on the server after a map change. I'm cool, I know that.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a pretty fast computer (I'm cool, I know that) and TF2 takes the longest to load a game. But only for the first time. Once the first map has been loaded, all subsequent maps will load within a couple seconds.
I guess it's mostly the same for me since I don't think changing maps or reconnecting is as bad as the first startup.

Clydefrog said:
I'm cool, I know that.
It is known.

I have a pretty fast computer (I'm cool, I know that) and TF2 takes the longest to load a game. But only for the first time. Once the first map has been loaded, all subsequent maps will load within a couple seconds. Even when switching servers. I'm usually the first person on the server after a map change. I'm cool, I know that.
Mine is the same way. I hate the initial connection.

tkscz

I traded 5 refine and an idea tube for a Balloonicorn. Whether or not that was a good trade I could care less. This thing is so damn cute.

r4z4

TF2 noob here. I've got a couple of Mann crates. Is the only way to open them to buy a key? The keys cost £2.99. Is the item within guaranteed to be worth it?

AcciDante

I'm housesitting for a friend from tomorrow to Sunday, but I'll be back for our game on Monday. If Soka wants to play at all though, please do. I'm gonna super rusty after not playing, so it's all yours if you want it!

I'm housesitting for a friend from tomorrow to Sunday, but I'll be back for our game on Monday. If Soka wants to play at all though, please do. I'm gonna super rusty after not playing, so it's all yours if you want it!

Bro here's the secret, I hadn't even downloaded last night's map, let alone ever played it, until about 1 hour before game time. Not to mention I took a 6 day hiatus from TF2 last week due to my lab work being insane recently.

I may or may not be kidding. Who knows.

I'll definitely be online a lot this week though so just let me know what you want to do, I'm not really in any rush to play either way.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TF2 noob here. I've got a couple of Mann crates. Is the only way to open them to buy a key? The keys cost £2.99. Is the item within guaranteed to be worth it?

only way is to try it and find out...

so satisfying uncrating it...until you find the shit weapon

Proven

Joining the NeoGAF server takes forever for me too, like 2 minutes loading or something. Once everything is loaded it connects pretty quickly. Then again I have an old computer that's like an e8400 and 7200 rpm drive and 4GB memory and whatnot.

I thought everyone knew this, but TF2 is both CPU intensive and RAM intensive. That's the main reason hl2.exe crashes so much, because of CPU and memory conflicts/problems. TF2 in particular has a TON of assets to load, which is why the first time you load up a game, and the first time you load into the server, after having not touched the game in a while will always take forever. Whenever I go about on TF2 Lobby I have to remember to pre-load TF2 and maybe even jump into the Jank server to make sure I don't take forever to get into the lobby server.

making fun of new players

edit- doesnt star play pyro

Don't start. Star plays a lot of classes. His favorite is probably Soldier as he loves the Market Gardner. His least favorites are Heavy and Spy. This season he's playing Medic on The Syndicate, half of the team for this season being from Gangsta Gang Gaming, but that's because GGG is taking a break for this summer UGC season and they're friends with TS. Last UGC season he played Pyro, and the season before that he was Sniper. Next season he'll probably play Soldier unless he feels like being a gap closer again.

Apparently if you force Pyrovision in Mann Manor, you see this.

Scariest thing in TF2.

My overclocked i5 + 8 GB RAM + SSD + being close to Chicago = me mocking you scrubs and your "loading times."

SCRUBS

EDIT: Machina, I was hoping I'd tempt someone into upgrading their PC. You should do it. TF2 on max settings is awesome... not that you need an i5 for that, but still.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the initial loading time is silly... But I don't mind it too much because of full-screen window + alt-tab.

The transformation into a PC bragging/complaining thread is kind of making me itch to upgrade my computer (not that I really need to... but I want to throw money at things since I've only bought one item this Steam sale!).

Where you get that pixel art solly?!

From Photoshop. :p It's a heavily edited version of my original GAF avatar (a sprite from Ogre Battle 64).

thefro

I need to upgrade my computer. GW2 is coming...

This is the best video I could find of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Ofy4jD6l8

I ran around on it last night by myself a bit... looks like it potentially could be really fun. There are a lot of fairly good places to hold but I didn't see any great ones. At least a couple ways to flank each point. I think I'll like this one better than cashworks or deadwood. Obviously visually it's very impressive as well with all the custom modeling.

Yeef

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!!!

(Brrt)

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!!!

(Brrt)
You should probably see a doctor, such prolonged flatulence can't be healthy.

Alienups

Someone stole my sliver deck years ago, the pain has not faded :/

I've spent too much money on TF2 but it doesn't even come close to what i used to spend on Magic and Warhammer.

Oh i want a sliver queen, well i'd better buy two stronghold boxes just to make sure i get one then, geez.

Blizzard

Banned
We should pool our pocket money and get Yeef a bear cub for a birthday present. It will be adorable up until he opens the package and it eats his face.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Machina, I was hoping I'd tempt someone into upgrading their PC. You should do it. TF2 on max settings is awesome... not that you need an i5 for that, but still.

I've been playing maxed out TF2 for over 4 years! My old desktop could do that. :p When I said I don't need to upgrade, I meant it. (i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz, 8gb DDR3, OC'ed GTX 460 1gb)

I'm just thinking about throwing in something extra... like more memory for video editing. Or a fancy mousepad for fun. Or a 2nd monitor. Or a new GPU (SLI?!) so I can run The Witcher 2 better.

The madness will pass soon. Probably. Hopefully.

I Googled "Bear Vanishing" to try and find an suitably amusing image, but I found this instead: http://storybird.com/books/the-girl-who-loved-the-bear/
This is adorable. Never heard of the site before, but there's some great illustration work all around...

Top Bottom