• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Trading |OT|

drkOne

Should I bother keeping one of every weapon, even those I don't use that often?

Keep the weapons you use in your different loadouts. Scrap the rest.
If you ever find yourself wanting a weapon you don't have, you can quickly find someone who will trade it for a scrap.

What I used todo Is keep 2 of every weapon in stock....this was about 2 or 3 months ago so theres quite a few more weapons.

Id keep 2 of every item in stock and just play the game....all day everyday on pub servers people ask for stuff(sell for 2 random weapons/scrap a piece)...after awhile youll get used to what sells (dead ringers, your eternal reward, machinas,batallion backups etc) . Then Id smelt the excess stuff.

I never got rich doing this but I never was TF2 broke either....if i for some reason got into the engie I could turn around and deck him out on the fly with the more expensive hats,Paint tags etc without waiting or stressing.

Having most weapons on hand is good cause youll never know what youll be in the mood for and never know whats going to get a nerf/buff so its nice to have them around imo

on topic of Idlers not sure where dude went with that:
I only have 6 idlers (which is a really small amount compared to most) and I idle 2 a night for 3 nights (whenever i remember) with the free version of sandboxie (free gets you 1 sandboxxed program, paid gets you as many as you want, but 1 is more then enough). with them 6 i amassed a nice little steam library....decked out tf2 characters so in the end Im way ahead my initial 30-40 dollar investment.

alts good to store crap as well....i got a crapload of crates i really need to get rid of and have my Halloween sets (normal+haunted complete) and other assorted stuff in alts

drkOne

on topic of Idlers not sure where dude went with that:
I only have 6 idlers (which is a really small amount compared to most) and I idle 2 a night for 3 nights (whenever i remember) with the free version of sandboxie (free gets you 1 sandboxxed program, paid gets you as many as you want, but 1 is more then enough). with them 6 i amassed a nice little steam library....decked out tf2 characters so in the end Im way ahead my initial 30-40 dollar investment.

alts good to store crap as well....i got a crapload of crates i really need to get rid of and have my Halloween sets (normal+haunted complete) and other assorted stuff in alts

Quick math I did on idling, note that I didn't want to factor drop percentages and what hats are worth more than others, so this is the minimum you'll get from idling.

You get 10 weapons per account per week.
Which you can easily turn into 5 scrap.
Which is 0.55 ref.
Which is 1/5 of a key.
Which isn't more than $0.28.

It's easier to just round it out to $1/month/account.

Let's say that hats/misc drop at a 1 per 100 weapons. You'll get a minimum of around 0.66 ref per account.

So you end up getting $2/month/account.

For me it wasn't worth the initial investment (was looking at 5 alt accounts).
Is my math 100% accurate? Not at all, as I said I calculated the worst case scenario. For example, I'm sure a lot of idlers made mad bank on all the Pile of Ashes they had when the Pyromania update hit, selling the weaps for 1rec+. Also I bet many alt accounts had Secret Diaries drop for them.

Right now I'm happy enough buying keys from the black market and trading them for the stuff I want.
As I said before I'm not into collecting this kind of stuff, just like to have my characters look cool, so it's not like I'm spending huge amounts of money to justify looking for "get rich" schemes.

Also, I only got into TF2 trading because of Dota 2 getting items. Otherwise I'd still be rocking default stuff with the random drop hat for all my classes.

Also, I only got into TF2 trading because of Dota 2 getting items. Otherwise I'd still be rocking default stuff with the random drop hat for all my classes.

I was referring to:
Visiting this thread just to ask a question:

How does one start to get involved with Tf2 trading? Currently, the only hats/ misc items I have are ones I want to keep. Weapons however, I have many available for trading.

Do I start by purchasing metal in sourceop with real world cash, or what? It would be cool to eventually have enough metal and keys to trade for items/hats in future updates, but I want to know how I start to get involved.

Just giving him my experience and what I do as I wasnt sure what he decided on or if he was even still interested

drkOne

Just giving him my experience and what I do as I wasnt sure what he decided on or if he was even still interested

Oh, I just quoted your post because you had mentioned idling, wasn't going against anything you said.

I've only been researching the trading community for 2 weeks or so (I asked if I should melt all my weapons a couple of days ago in this thread myself), just sharing some knowledge (which may be not fully accurate) for newcomers like myself :)

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Fer the new page:

Message me on Steam if you'd like to trade.

For Trade (spreadsheet price)

Weapons -
The Sticky Jumper (clean)
Festive Sticky Bomb Launcher
Strange Mad Milk
Strange Half-Zatoichi
Strange Fists
Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol
The Lollichop (x4)
The Rainblower
The Cleaner's Carbine
The Hitman's Heatmaker
The Beggar's Bazooka

Hats/Misc -
The Waxy Wayfinder
Fancy Dress Uniform

Craft Hats (for 1.33 ref or another craft hat) -
Western Wear
The Scrap Pack
The Point and Shoot
The Infernal Impaler

WTB
1 Decal Tool for 2 Rec

Free!
Scorched Crates - I have 31 36 of these and no intention of opening them... They're on my alt, so shoot me a PM if you want any.

Jdez15

Banned
I am selling any of these items, just make an offer, this is my whole inventory.
Untitled-1.png

Untitled4.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled1.png

Sajjaja

LF Your Worst Nightmare and Villains Veil. Perhaps even a Liquidators Lid.

Man, someone should make a JAVA application where we can preview items on models.

Man, someone should make a JAVA application where we can preview items on models.

Ive been wishing this for awhile.

I honestly cannot believe that no one has done this yet (or I havent found it).
I spent like 5ref on lack of hue that i would've loved to seen how it would look before total purchase (hue + bird).

Im happy with look (STREETS AHEAD OF ZEKES!!!) but wouldve liked a preview first

Ive been wishing this for awhile.

I honestly cannot believe that no one has done this yet (or I havent found it).
I spent like 5ref on lack of hue that i would've loved to seen how it would look before total purchase (hue + bird).

Im happy with look (STREETS AHEAD OF ZEKES!!!) but wouldve liked a preview first

I forget the website right now but there is one site that has screenshots people have taken of hats in different colours.

I forget the website right now but there is one site that has screenshots people have taken of hats in different colours.

youd think as big and fanatic as the TF2 community is someone would've built a flash or app where you can check out different stuff. Theres even a crate simulator out there....just find it kinda odd this missing.

If i had any programming knowledge whatsoever id build it as im sure itll get alot of use.....i mean 1/2 of tf2 is playing dress up for alot

Yeef

youd think as big and fanatic as the TF2 community is someone would've built a flash or app where you can check out different stuff. Theres even a crate simulator out there....just find it kinda odd this missing.

If i had any programming knowledge whatsoever id build it as im sure itll get alot of use.....i mean 1/2 of tf2 is playing dress up for alot
You can preview items in the Mann. Co Catalog, the store or using item test. You can change paint colors in all 3 instances.

You can preview items in the Mann. Co Catalog, the store or using item test. You can change paint colors in all 3 instances.

but wouldnt you still be missing the big picture?

Like heres naked demo but id like to see him with black parrot,team spirit kanye glasses, with team spirit hustlers hallmark.

(thats the best looking demo on the planet so you guys know)

Sajjaja

Like heres naked demo but id like to see him with black parrot,team spirit kanye glasses, with team spirit hustlers hallmark.

He knows what's up.

I like my demo, with lime parrot, lime kanye glasses, and the coin-dropping treasure hat. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, finally just got my strange huntsman for 13.4 keys. It took me forever to save up all the metal. I also got dumb early on and used up like 6 keys on crates when I was bored one night.

vazel

Banned
Looks like I'm hooked, I set up an alt account yesterday. I'm comfortable with only one alt as I don't plan on being a big trader.

I love the idiosyncrasies of the community. Valve really does work magic to inspire this kind of passion.

Yeef

Nope.

Itemtest lets you test multiple cosmetics at once, with paints and usual effects.

I have an idea tube misc for the engy that I would like to trade. I would prefer a misc for a different class, but I am open.

Please PM me if interested, thanks.

chixdiggit

I have some of those already so sorry man.

I'm looking for mostly metal.

Also I have a CS:GO Invite for 12.66 refined if anyone wants it.

OK dumb question (I am new to trading scene). What does 12.66 refined actually mean? I know what refined metal is but 12.66?

Top Bottom