• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

I just hooked up a small television to an old computer that I have that a few friends and I use for recording music. I'm going to use the TV as the monitor. When I fire it up I can see the desktop, but its like it has a blue filter over it. I can faintly make out the desktop. I believe its running XP. Anyone know how to fix this or what the problem is?

While attempting to fix my previous issues with Catalyst, I used AMD's uninstaller to remove drivers. Upon rebooting, my monitor gets no signal. Nothing. Audio sounds normal.

Can't seem to boot into safe mode or BIOS screen.

:(

I just wanted to play video games.

Dai101

Banned
While attempting to fix my previous issues with Catalyst, I used AMD's uninstaller to remove drivers. Upon rebooting, my monitor gets no signal. Nothing. Audio sounds normal.

Can't seem to boot into safe mode or BIOS screen.

:(

I just wanted to play video games.

Try another monitor if you have one. Check all your connections too before and try again. Also if your MoBo have integrated video try disconnecting your video card and connect your monitor to the MoBo and see what happens.

My computer's been fine and dandy until today. I've gotten two random BSoDs and two sudden hard rebots in the span of just a few hours and I have no idea what it could be.

This is an old computer with new parts. Just recently kitted it out with a GTX 770 and overclocked by I5-750 to 3.8 GHz. On the second hard reboot I tried lowering the clock to ~3.6 but got the third crash not long after that. I've gotten the crashes doing completely pedestrian random stuff like browsing the web (1 BSoD, 1 crash+reboot), installing a program (BSoD), and running Skyrim for about 3 minutes (crash+reboot).

I think it may be the PSU. I have this Silverstone 500W Power Supply, which I know is below the wattage of the recommended nVidia specs for a GTX 770, but I was assured by PC-GAF that it was totally fine. And for a while it was, since I've done a ton of gaming since I got it and I've never had an issue. It literally just started today.

Is there a general way of checking if the problem is my PSU? I don't want to shell out money for a new one and still have to suffer through the crashes. It's rendering my computer unusable.

EDIT: Another blue screen :( This time it was watching a Youtube video.
Another two things I need to mention: after the third crash but before the fourth (the Skyrim hard reboot), I tested the CPU using Prime95 for about 3 hours, and absolutely nothing went wrong. I know you need to run Prime95 for way longer than that, but again, the computer BSoDs just by running a Youtube video. It's confusing.

kennah

My computer's been fine and dandy until today. I've gotten two random BSoDs and two sudden hard rebots in the span of just a few hours and I have no idea what it could be.

This is an old computer with new parts. Just recently kitted it out with a GTX 770 and overclocked by I5-750 to 3.8 GHz. On the second hard reboot I tried lowering the clock to ~3.6 but got the third crash not long after that. I've gotten the crashes doing completely pedestrian random stuff like browsing the web (1 BSoD, 1 crash+reboot), installing a program (BSoD), and running Skyrim for about 3 minutes (crash+reboot).

I think it may be the PSU. I have this Silverstone 500W Power Supply, which I know is below the wattage of the recommended nVidia specs for a GTX 770, but I was assured by PC-GAF that it was totally fine. And for a while it was, since I've done a ton of gaming since I got it and I've never had an issue. It literally just started today.

Is there a general way of checking if the problem is my PSU? I don't want to shell out money for a new one and still have to suffer through the crashes. It's rendering my computer unusable.

EDIT: Another blue screen :( This time it was watching a Youtube video.
Another two things I need to mention: after the third crash but before the fourth (the Skyrim hard reboot), I tested the CPU using Prime95 for about 3 hours, and absolutely nothing went wrong. I know you need to run Prime95 for way longer than that, but again, the computer BSoDs just by running a Youtube video. It's confusing.

Does it happen with your CPU at stock clocks?

I ask because power consumption for your CPU really ramps up quickly. Under load at stock it is 198W, but when overclocked can get up to 290W. The video card uses about 200W, so you're really riding the line there...

It is possible that running your PSU at nearly 100% capacity has made it 'grumpy' under load.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I had no idea this thread existed.

Problems I've had recently with my Windows 7 ASUS laptop.

• Sound crackles during iTunes and boot sounds
  • Delayed typing in Chrome
  • Chrome crashes constantly
  • Delayed volume change when done via keys

I think many of these problems have to do with overheating. I got greedy putting it on high performance all the time. Previously my laptop would BSOD when I closed the lid, but I think I finally fixed that problem.

Dai101

Banned

• Sound crackles during iTunes and general sounds

I think many of these problems have to do with overheating. I got greedy putting it on high performance all the time. Previously my laptop would BSOD when I closed the lid, but I think I finally fixed that problem.

1- Uninstall chrome
2- Install internet explorer 10 (or ANY OTHER browser for that matter)
3- ???
4- Seriously, fuck chrome

Now, do a complete scan with your antivirus and then with Malwarebytes Antimalware (update both before scan) to see if you have some kind of bug sucking resources of your system.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
1- Uninstall chrome
2- Install internet explorer 10 (or ANY OTHER browser for that matter)
3- ???
4- Seriously, fuck chrome

Now, do a complete scan with your antivirus and then with Malwarebytes Antimalware (update both before scan) to see if you have some kind of bug sucking resources of your system.
But but I love Chrome extensions. :(

I've never heard of Antimalware. Already ran Spybot and currently doing a full scan using Microsoft Security Essentials. Hopefully if they find anything it will resolve the problem. I'll come back with an update.

• Sound crackles during iTunes and boot sounds

Severe overheating commonly exhibits itself via sudden and unprompted shutdowns of the machine, sometimes preceeded by a BSOD, to protect itself from hardware damage.

You can definitively determine whether your laptop is overheating by getting 2 monitoring software:-

1. CPUID Hardware Monitor (for the CPU)

2. GPUz (for the GPU, also monitors other useful stuff, like usage and core/memory clocks)

What happens is that as your laptop's internal temperatures cannot be reduced via active cooling (fans), you should notice that the thermal throttling of the CPU should start to kick in.

This can be observed using another piece of software called Throttlestop, which should indicate the lowered CPU frequency.

Things you can do to improve the thermal situation include cleaning out the dust from the vents, using a cooling pad, and if you're even more technically minded, replacing the thermal paste of your laptop's CPU (will void the warranty).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Severe overheating commonly exhibits itself via sudden and unprompted shutdowns of the machine, sometimes preceeded by a BSOD, to protect itself from hardware damage.

You can definitively determine whether your laptop is overheating by getting 2 monitoring software:-

1. CPUID Hardware Monitor (for the CPU)

2. GPUz (for the GPU, also monitors other useful stuff, like usage and core/memory clocks)

What happens is that as your laptop's internal temperatures cannot be reduced via active cooling (fans), you should notice that the thermal throttling of the CPU should start to kick in.

This can be observed using another piece of software called Throttlestop, which should indicate the lowered CPU frequency.

Things you can do to improve the thermal situation include cleaning out the dust from the vents, using a cooling pad, and if you're even more technically minded, replacing the thermal paste of your laptop's CPU (will void the warranty).
My overheating comment was based on the high amount of hot air coming from the vents and an instance last year where blowing dust from the vents significantly improved performance. I tried doing that yesterday without a noticeable difference. The fans became much more quiet one I changed the setting from high performance. Right now the CPU cores are running between 105-130F. A different program I used showed the temp to be well over 170F at one point today. GPU is around 107F. I tried to use Speed Fan, but it crashed every time I ran it.

Microsoft Security Essentials didn't find anything. I even ran CCleaner for the hell of it. I'm still experiencing lag changing the volume via keys and the boot sound. Overall boot time has increased so dramatically that you wouldn't know it was off an SSD. Performance in Chrome seems better but pages are still crashing. I turned off some extensions so that might have made a difference.

EDIT: CPU temps have risen to 130-160F since posting this.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Try removing programs and other stuff that you don't use or that loads automatically at boot. Use http://pcdecrapifier.com/ to see what you can remove.
I've already been doing that, but thanks. You're just full of helpful programs, aren't you? I did use it to remove a couple I missed. In the past I've used other programs to determine what I could remove at start up or all together. I've also before googled the different .exe to see if they were worthwhile. Even still, I don't have a great understanding what could stand to be uninstalled.
160F is rather alarming if all you're doing right now is browsing the net and responding to messages on GAF (effectively just idling, in CPU terms). I'd consider it even more unacceptable if your ambient temperature is below 86F.
Yep, that's all I was doing besides running CCleaner, CPUID HWmonitor, and GPU-Z. Temps are now between 140-160F also running Decrapifier. Room temperature is ~71F.

EDIT: Now they've dropped to between 115-130F. Should it be fluctuating that much?

Dai101

Banned
I've already been doing that, but thanks. You're just full of helpful programs, aren't you?

Well, i do this for a living i HAVE TO ;-)

Your CPU is burning, something must be doing that a program or something related or in the worst case something is wrong with the cooling not working as intended, lumps of dust or the heatsinks not doing their work.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, i do this for a living i HAVE TO ;-)

Your CPU is burning, something must be doing that a program or something related or in the worst case something is wrong with the cooling not working as intended, lumps of dust or the heatsinks not doing their work.
How should I go about determining what the cause is?

Does it happen with your CPU at stock clocks?

I ask because power consumption for your CPU really ramps up quickly. Under load at stock it is 198W, but when overclocked can get up to 290W. The video card uses about 200W, so you're really riding the line there...

It is possible that running your PSU at nearly 100% capacity has made it 'grumpy' under load.

I'll put my CPU down to stock clock and futz around with the computer quite a bit.

At any rate, even if it does work fine and dandy at stock clock, I should probably look to invest in a new PSU, right? Going back to the 2.6 GHz ghetto after gaming at 3.8 would be supremely shitty :(

If it's a program, are there any signs regarding performance I should notice? For example, CPU usage. I guess I'll try vacuuming out the vents. I just purchased a cooling pad as well, just as a precaution.

Strange and unusual CPU % spikes is the first thing you should look out for.

Instead of using Task Manager, I recommend that you use Windows' own Resource Monitor, which is a lot more detailed when it comes to the overall health of your PC. Swap it over to the CPU tab and have fun monitoring your system for a bit, sorting the processes by Average CPU usage.

Your laptop should be sitting pretty at 0-5% CPU usage doing nothing. Ditto for the GPU usage (seen via GPUz).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Strange and unusual CPU % spikes is the first thing you should look out for.

Instead of using Task Manager, I recommend that you use Windows' own Resource Monitor, which is a lot more detailed when it comes to the overall health of your PC. Swap it over to the CPU tab and have fun monitoring your system for a bit, sorting the processes by Average CPU usage.

Your laptop should be sitting pretty at 0-5% CPU usage doing nothing. Ditto for the GPU usage (seen via GPUz).
Thanks for the advice. One thing I've noticed is a chrome.exe can average over 20% of CPU. Maybe that's only when starting it? At this moment, with 6 tabs opened, one being a Youtube video, and 11 extensions (I disabled a few), all of them are running at <7%.

Seeing I bought some Saints Row: The Third DLC during the Steam sale, I decided to play it. After exiting the game, I saw the exe was running at 15% of the CPU. It looks like while I played for a short period of time my CPUs were between a range of 158-172F; I had my new cooling pad going while I played as well. The framerate was worse than before (probably under 24 FPS) as was the general loading without any changes made to the settings. It hangs up going into Big Picture Mode and to an external display via keys. The volume change via keys has seemed to improve from ~11 seconds to ~3 seconds, which is only a little slower than what it was before.

Not sure what I did to cause this, but Saints Row was nearly unplayable on my old settings. :(

Re-posting my problem; I tried switching the VGA cable around. Still doing the same thing. Any thoughts?

I just hooked up a small television to an old computer that I have that a few friends and I use for recording music. I'm going to use the TV as the monitor. When I fire it up I can see the desktop, but its like it has a blue filter over it. I can faintly make out the desktop. I believe its running XP. Anyone know how to fix this or what the problem is?

v1lla21

Hey guys :D
Is there anyway that I can block p2p programs like Ares from accessing the internet? And is there also a way to block websites with a program?

My uncle and cousins currently live with me and they are consistently downloading music and other shit, or they are on those watch free movies websites. It's always eating up my bandwidth and they don't listen to me and keep doing that shit. I know that I can block websites through my router but a screen shows up saying that it's blocked and I'd rather not get that.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hey guys :D
Is there anyway that I can block p2p programs like Ares from accessing the internet? And is there also a way to block websites with a program?

My uncle and cousins currently live with me and they are consistently downloading music and other shit, or they are on those watch free movies websites. It's always eating up my bandwidth and they don't listen to me and keep doing that shit. I know that I can block websites through my router but a screen shows up saying that it's blocked and I'd rather not get that.

you dont think they'll notice when the sites just stop working?

How smart/computer savy are they? You could just modify their host files with the URLs pointing to a bad IP address or set it to always redirect to ESPN or something.

v1lla21

you dont think they'll notice when the sites just stop working?

How smart/computer savy are they? You could just modify their host files with the URLs pointing to a bad IP address or set it to always redirect to ESPN or something.

They are pretty horrible with PCs. I'm sure they'll notice if the sites stop working, but I've warned them many times already and it's pretty annoying. How would I have it redirect to another site?

captive

They are pretty horrible with PCs. I'm sure they'll notice if the sites stop working, but I've warned them many times already and it's pretty annoying. How would I have it redirect to another site?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

essentially your browser looks at the host file first before going to the internet. To redirect to a different website, simply ping that website then put that IP in the host file with the website name that you don't want them going to after it.

The power supply for my Dell Inspiron 620 died.

It's 300 watt, so my question is could I replace it with any power supply with the same wattage or would have I have to replace it with an identical part.

It's a full size tower if that helps

Dai101

Banned
The power supply for my Dell Inspiron 620 died.

It's 300 watt, so my question is could I replace it with any power supply with the same wattage or would have I have to replace it with an identical part.

It's a full size tower if that helps

If your case is a full tower looks like any standar atx PSU will fit there. I'll go for a 450W or larger.

I don't know if this is a good thread to ask or not...

Is it possible to attach a Raspberry Pi to an existing router to create a separate wireless network? The reason I ask is that I want one network to be normal, and the other network to connect to a VPN and allow any device that requires a VPN to connect to that network. For example, let's say I have a work phone and a work tablet and a work computer that are always on and always need to be connected to a VPN, and I have a normal phone and a normal tablet and a normal computer that I do not want connected to a VPN. I have no knowledge or Raspberry Pis, but would such a setup be possible?

I found this TOR Proxy for Raspberry Pi, but I don't want to connect to TOR, I want to connect to a VPN. And, as I already said, I don't have much knowledge of Raspberry Pis, but it seems like this should be doable because that TOR Proxy does basically what I want, except it connects to TOR and not OpenVPN.

Any tutorials/guides, or something pre-built like in that link I posted?

Alternatively, is there a device better than a Raspberry Pi to do what I'm asking?

Jockel

Opened a thread because I didn't find this one, so now posting where I should:

I just recently built a new rig with an i5 3570k on a Gigabyte Z77N-Wifi mainboard, recycling my old GTX460, RAM, HDDs and Xilence 600w PSU for the build.

Back in my old PC I used to operate the GTX460 with just one PCI-E power plug instead of the two it's capable of holding and it worked just fine. My PSU normally just has one PCI-E power plug, that's why.

However, my new PC wouldn't detect the card at all. After tinkering around for a while I found that the card is only recognized if I use both PCI-E power plugs. So I hooked up an 2x IDE > 1x PCI-E adapter to get the power needed and the card worked.

I used it happily until I noticed my PC stuttering and shutting down- that's when I found out that the CPU fan wasn't running at all while the GTX460 was fully plugged in!

tl;dr - CPU fan won't work with graphics card in, what do?

Zapages

I need help on my computer. I can't remember how I fixed this in the past.

I have a old computer connected to my HDTV through S-Video. I was trying to get a resolution higher than 800x600... But somehow the s-video can't do that... So now in Windows XP it will be blank black screen.

I mean during boot up and everything is fine. I think because I messed up the screen resolution. I can't get it to work properly

Also I was wondering if there was decent AGP card with HDMI out with Audio and video out. I heard some ATI cards have problem with outputing audio. the computer is used to stream videos from Netflix/Huu/Youtube.

The computer is really old:

AMD 3400+, (64 bit)
512 of Ram

Thank you again in advance. :)
Windows XP

I need help on my computer. I can't remember how I fixed this in the past.

I have a old computer connected to my HDTV through S-Video. I was trying to get a resolution higher than 800x600... But somehow the s-video can't do that... So now in Windows XP it will be blank black screen.

I mean during boot up and everything is fine. I think because I messed up the screen resolution. I can't get it to work properly

Also I was wondering if there was decent AGP card with HDMI out with Audio and video out. I heard some ATI cards have problem with outputing audio. the computer is used to stream videos from Netflix/Huu/Youtube.

The computer is really old:

AMD 3400+, (64 bit)
512 of Ram

Thank you again in advance. :)
Windows XP

Boot up in safe mode, uninstall the video card from device manager, reboot when prompted. When it boots up again it should reinstall the driver automatically. Then, just make sure the resolution is set to 800x600.

Opened a thread because I didn't find this one, so now posting where I should:

I just recently built a new rig with an i5 3570k on a Gigabyte Z77N-Wifi mainboard, recycling my old GTX460, RAM, HDDs and Xilence 600w PSU for the build.

Back in my old PC I used to operate the GTX460 with just one PCI-E power plug instead of the two it's capable of holding and it worked just fine. My PSU normally just has one PCI-E power plug, that's why.

However, my new PC wouldn't detect the card at all. After tinkering around for a while I found that the card is only recognized if I use both PCI-E power plugs. So I hooked up an 2x IDE > 1x PCI-E adapter to get the power needed and the card worked.

I used it happily until I noticed my PC stuttering and shutting down- that's when I found out that the CPU fan wasn't running at all while the GTX460 was fully plugged in!

tl;dr - CPU fan won't work with graphics card in, what do?

If your psu is model number XP600-12R, then it should actually have 2 pci-e 6+2 pin connectors according to this table http://www.quietpc.com/x-red-psus

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well TechSupportGAF, still working on problems I've posted about before. Hoping to get some additional help.

What would cause typing lag avery 5-7 seconds? It seems to happen in more than one program, but most noticeably in Steam. I also, last time I checked, can't get Saints Row: The Third to run as well as it did last month; The framerate is terrible. What would cause that? I've been checking the CPU temperature and activity. Chrome seems to be a significant culprit of the problem. Activity spikes the most when it's running from what I've seen. I have noticed it's crashing less than before. "Aw, snap"s still happen occasionally, but not to the severity as before.

Any advice is appreciated. I can supply further insight if necessary.
3AQmK.gif

Jockel

Well TechSupportGAF, still working on problems I've posted about before. Hoping to get some additional help.

What would cause typing lag avery 5-7 seconds? It seems to happen in more than one program, but most noticeably in Steam. I also, last time I checked, can't get Saints Row: The Third to run as well as it did last month; The framerate is terrible. What would cause that? I've been checking the CPU temperature and activity. Chrome seems to be a significant culprit of the problem. Activity spikes the most when it's activity from what I've seen. I have noticed it's crashing less than before. "Aw, snap"s still happen occasionally, but not to the severity as before.

Any advice is appreciated. I can supply further insight if necessary.
3AQmK.gif
Did it always happen with your current hardware configuration?
How much RAM do you use?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Did it always happen with your current hardware configuration?
How much RAM do you use?
Maybe a few times, but it's more prevalent right now. Currently I have 3,000 MB in use with Chrome, Firefox, Steam, Flux and some other miscellaneous applications running. Another 4,000 MB is hardware reserved. I have over 8,000 MB free.

I think any other problems I'm experiencing are Chrome related. I'll check later today to see if there's still a significant delay connecting to an external monitor. Taking 10 seconds in unacceptable.

Jockel

Chrome can be quite a system-hog, but probably not to that level. Did you try another browser to single out Chrome being the problem? Random lag can have several causes. If heat is not the problem, try running a memory test for your RAM. Another thing that happens occasionally is that the power save features (downclocking) doesn't work properly and is keeping the CPU down. Try disabling any of those features if that's the case.

If your psu is model number XP600-12R, then it should actually have 2 pci-e 6+2 pin connectors according to this table http://www.quietpc.com/x-red-psus
After disassembling I found the second PCI-E cable. It completely slipped past me two times. What the actual fuck, I feel so dumb. Thanks to your google-fu!

Chrome can be quite a system-hog, but probably not to that level. Did you try another browser to single out Chrome being the problem? Random lag can have several causes. If heat is not the problem, try running a memory test for your RAM. Another thing that happens occasionally is that the power save features (downclocking) doesn't work properly and is keeping the CPU down. Try disabling any of those features if that's the case.

He did mention that his CPU temperatures were quite high, so disabling CPU throttling may not be the best course of action. It could be the only thing preventing his laptop from melting down.

After disassembling I found the second PCI-E cable. It completely slipped past me two times. What the actual fuck, I feel so dumb. Thanks to your google-fu!

Awesome, so it's nice and stable now? I'm glad I could help.

I use to be able to do this on my old PC but not on my new one. I have my PC and TV connected via HDMI, and when I turn off my PC monitor (well on standby) the picture would come on my tv and vice versa.

Now on my new one it doesn't happen and I have to change it manually "extend display "

Does anyone know how I can it back to work?

I have an issue with my laptop since day 1. Sometimes when I browse the web and open a new random page, windows 7 freezes (even the mouse pointer) for about 2-3 minutes, and the hdd lamp lights like crazy and then everything goes back to normal after that.

I have literally tried EVERYTHING I can imagine to solve this issue. Virus/malware scan, defragmenting, optimizing windows with some programs, trying at least 5 different browsers, uninstalling/installing Java, Flash etc. but as I said it has been like this since I've bought the laptop (Acer) new from the store.

One thing I've noticed though is that this problem occurs when I load a big page/site. For example it happens if I go to ign.com but not everytime.

Does anyone had a similar problem and solved it?

Heysoos

So general internet question. Why am I able to download from Steam full speed, with speedtest showing normal speed, yet Netflix, Crunchyroll, and even Amazon Prime have a hard time streaming on HD? This is all through my 360, so if I watch like Crunchyroll through my PC and choose 1080p it'll work fine, but if I go to Netflix it also struggles to maintain HD. Is my router in need of an upgrade? What else can I look at to find the source of my problem?

I heard a lot of major ISPs throttle these websites, which is fucking lame as shit since I'm paying for the service to watch these websites with no problems. Is this true or is there something else going on with my network? This is TWC.

captive

So general internet question. Why am I able to download from Steam full speed, with speedtest showing normal speed, yet Netflix, Crunchyroll, and even Amazon Prime have a hard time streaming on HD? This is all through my 360, so if I watch like Crunchyroll through my PC and choose 1080p it'll work fine, but if I go to Netflix it also struggles to maintain HD. Is my router in need of an upgrade? What else can I look at to find the source of my problem?

I heard a lot of major ISPs throttle these websites, which is fucking lame as shit since I'm paying for the service to watch these websites with no problems. Is this true or is there something else going on with my network? This is TWC.

i think you just answered your own question.
They all claim that they don't throttle, but in my experience, during peak hours they do. Not always for me, but just peak hours.

I posted this on the previous page but it was on the last post for the page.

I use to be able to do this on my old PC but not on my new one. I have my PC and TV connected via HDMI, and when I turn off my PC monitor (well on standby) the picture would come on my tv and vice versa.

Now on my new one it doesn't happen and I have to change it manually by going into screen resolution and choose 'show on display 1"

Does anyone know how I can it back to work?

I'm using a dell ultrasharp u2410 monitor, win8, geforce 670 gtx.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
*sigh* So following the advice of Chrome-GAF, I deleted all my user data. Sadly, it crashed twice just as I was going to the thread and froze on the reply page. I already tried re-installing it before to no success. Right now I'm using Firefox, which has some typing lag, especially on start up.

Not sure if it will help, but here's a log from HW Monitor. I'm starting to think there's a hardware problem, but I'm sure I have much more to do before that can be determined. Save me Tech Support GAF, you're my only hope!

Top Bottom