• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Anyone ever experience the issue where you constantly get CRC errors when trying to unzip multi-part files?

It's driving me crazy and I can't figure out what's causing it. I've run a chkdsk on my HDD and there are no issues there, and my internet has always been stable. It started happening about a week ago. Regular zipped files still work fine, it's just that multi-part files always throw CRC errors. I've tried downloading files from multiple sites and the issue persists.

n64coder

Anyone ever experience the issue where you constantly get CRC errors when trying to unzip multi-part files?

It's driving me crazy and I can't figure out what's causing it. I've run a chkdsk on my HDD and there are no issues there, and my internet has always been stable. It started happening about a week ago. Regular zipped files still work fine, it's just that multi-part files always throw CRC errors. I've tried downloading files from multiple sites and the issue persists.

Have you tried doing this on a different machine? If you get the same error, then you know it's an issue with the archives, not your machine.

What are the file extensions on the files you're using? I can't remember the last time I saw a multi-part *.zip file. Usually they're *.rar files.

Have you tried doing this on a different machine? If you get the same error, then you know it's an issue with the archives, not your machine.

What are the file extensions on the files you're using? I can't remember the last time I saw a multi-part *.zip file. Usually they're *.rar files.

I tried it on my laptop an hour ago and it works fine there, so it's definitely something with the desktop, and yes they are .rar files.

I've run memory tests and those came back without an issue as well.

I'm trying to download some files via Chrome instead of FF to see if there's any chance that FF is messing things up.

Ramma2

My laptop has all of a sudden been making spontaneous "fart" noises every 30 seconds or so. What the hell?

Sounds like a cooling fan, bearings worn out. The fan reaches a certain RPM that the bearings can't handle, the fan gets off balance and it spins out, causing that fart/grind noise. After that the rpms are low enough it can regain its balance, spin back up to speed again, and repeat.

n64coder

I tried it on my laptop an hour ago and it works fine there, so it's definitely something with the desktop, and yes they are .rar files.

I've run memory tests and those came back without an issue as well.

I'm trying to download some files via Chrome instead of FF to see if there's any chance that FF is messing things up.

Another thing to try is to copy the *.rar files onto a thumb drive from the working computer to the machine you're having trouble with. If it works, then it would confirm that the browser or whatever download program you're using is the problem.

Sounds like a cooling fan, bearings worn out. The fan reaches a certain RPM that the bearings can't handle, the fan gets off balance and it spins out, causing that fart/grind noise. After that the rpms are low enough it can regain its balance, spin back up to speed again, and repeat.

Great answer. I had no clue when I saw the original question.

Mariolee

How much will it cost to fix?

Hole

Neo Member
when my pc boots up i have to ctrl alt del before i can click or access anything. any ideas?

windows 7 and this is the case even after a reinstall

Another thing to try is to copy the *.rar files onto a thumb drive from the working computer to the machine you're having trouble with. If it works, then it would confirm that the browser or whatever download program you're using is the problem.

Great answer. I had no clue when I saw the original question.

Well, I was wrong about the laptop thing. I'm getting the same error on both computers now.

Which means it seems to be wi-fi/internet related. *great* It seems to be occurring only with files of a fairly large size.

Edit: I just downloaded a 700mb .rar file to test, and it worked without an issue. That seems to narrow the problem down to either very large .rar files or multi-part .rar files only and somehow seems to relate to my connection.

I'm losing my mind.

Ramma2

Well, I was wrong about the laptop thing. I'm getting the same error on both computers now.

Which means it seems to be wi-fi/internet related. *great* It seems to be occurring only with files of a fairly large size.

Edit: I just downloaded a 700mb .rar file to test, and it worked without an issue. That seems to narrow the problem down to either very large .rar files or multi-part .rar files only and somehow seems to relate to my connection.

I'm losing my mind.

Sounds to me like you should be downloading the PAR files and checking them with QuickPar.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

Hey TechSupportGaf! I recently jumped on the AMD 7950 GPU but since I've had it installed in my computer the sound cuts out every couple of seconds except for in 3D games (and even then it sometimes cuts out during 2D menus). I know this is a driver problem with AMD and I tried the common fix out there of upping the core clock but it hasn't fixed it. Anybody have any other ideas as to what could be fixed?

Sounds to me like you should be downloading the PAR files and checking them with QuickPar.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

Well, I've sort of "resolved" the problem.

Downloading the multi-part files one at a time resulted in a problem-free extraction. I don't know why downloading concurrent files is all of a sudden a problem for this system or my router or whatever, but at least it's a livable solution for the time being.

decaf

Help please GAF!

My Shuttle PC is overheating whenever I leave it idle since last night. Even with very little running it'll go crazy, then as soon as I move the mouse the screen'll flicker and this error message pops up:

dPEmDHH.png

Any ideas? Already on the latest NVIDIA drivers...

Help please GAF!

My Shuttle PC is overheating whenever I leave it idle since last night. Even with very little running it'll go crazy, then as soon as I move the mouse the screen'll flicker and this error message pops up:

dPEmDHH.png

The only time I've had that happen was due to faulty or buggy drivers. Try rolling back to slightly older drivers?

~~

Regarding my continuing problem, it seems that only 999mb large .rar files are the issue. Now I'm even more confused. Everything else extracts perfectly fine, but 999mb = no dice.

Hey TechSupportGaf! I recently jumped on the AMD 7950 GPU but since I've had it installed in my computer the sound cuts out every couple of seconds except for in 3D games (and even then it sometimes cuts out during 2D menus). I know this is a driver problem with AMD and I tried the common fix out there of upping the core clock but it hasn't fixed it. Anybody have any other ideas as to what could be fixed?
Anybody here able to help?

Got a problem with my PC

I can't connect to all websites and my computer's cpu usage keeps spiking not to mention freezing and then working again. And PC gives me "Windows Explorer has stop working" every now and then

I tried everything, error checks, anti virus check, defragging and restarting my pc. I can ping all websites and they're working fine but just cant connect to a website. I already tried using different browser

My curse client tells me my connection timed out
I can connect to mumble
My laptop is connected to the same router and is working fine

Temperature is stable

OS is Windows Ultimate
[bootleg]
Edition

Garou

Got a problem with my PC

I can't connect to all websites and my computer's cpu usage keeps spiking not to mention freezing and then working again. And PC gives me "Windows Explorer has stop working" every now and then

I tried everything, error checks, anti virus check, defragging and restarting my pc. I can ping all websites and they're working fine but just cant connect to a website. I already tried using different browser

My curse client tells me my connection timed out
I can connect to mumble
My laptop is connected to the same router and is working fine

Temperature is stable

OS is Windows Ultimate
[bootleg]
Edition

Uhh, go buy a legit Windows-license, format and install.

I got a Sound Blaster Z card and having a bitch of a time installing this thing. Whenever I install the drivers, it asks me to restart.

I do that and Windows refuses to boot up. It'll just sit at the splash screen not doing a damn thing no matter what (restore to an earlier image, repair, anything). It does this even if I get the newest drivers from the website or throw Windows itself via Update Driver.

The hell is up with this piece of crap?

Edit: Nevermind. After 3 hours of dicking around with this thing, installing the drivers while the device was disabled through Windows Update for whatever reason made it stop shitting the bed after restarting.

decaf

Help please GAF!

dPEmDHH.png

Still no joy fixing this. Wiped all my drivers with Driver Sweeper, did the clean install with my NVIDIA drivers. Changed a bunch of options relating to power, still nothing.

It's only happening when I leave my mouse untouched from anything from a few minutes upwards. I can tell when it's happening as my fans start ramping up, despite no taxing programs running. PC runs fine for hours as long as I'm always doing something. Very odd.

Any other ideas?

Still no joy fixing this. Wiped all my drivers with Driver Sweeper, did the clean install with my NVIDIA drivers. Changed a bunch of options relating to power, still nothing.

It's only happening when I leave my mouse untouched from anything from a few minutes upwards. I can tell when it's happening as my fans start ramping up, despite no taxing programs running. PC runs fine for hours as long as I'm always doing something. Very odd.

Any other ideas?

I've heard that sometimes programs with hardware/video acceleration options can cause this with certain GPUs. Perhaps your browser?

Regarding my multi-rar CRC issue: Uninstalling both winrar, and 7zip, and running a dozen registry scans/cleans seems to have solved the issue. I'm still unsure as to what exactly fixed it, as I had already run registry scans a few days earlier, but I hope this is of at least some help to anyone experiencing this in the future.

NEO0MJ

Somewhat emberassing. I was toying around with my windows 8 laptop and decided to install AMD's beta display driver to my laptop. After rebooting though my laptop won't start. I keep getting stuck in a strange black screen that keeps flickering. Sometimes I can control the pointer in that screen between the flickers but with nothing to click.

Rufus

Somewhat emberassing. I was toying around with my windows 8 laptop and decided to install AMD's beta display driver to my laptop. After rebooting though my laptop won't start. I keep getting stuck in a strange black screen that keeps flickering. Sometimes I can control the pointer in that screen between the flickers but with nothing to click.
Boot into safe mode (hold F8 during boot-up) and uninstall those drivers.

NEO0MJ

Boot into safe mode (hold F8 during boot-up) and uninstall those drivers.

It worked, thanks! While I didn't know where to delete the drivers from, I made a restore point before installing the drivers to be safe whichh was easy for to find after entering the boot screen.

MacBook Pro problem here.

First things first. My non unibody MacBook Pro is know for having a defective GPU that overheats and fries the logic board. I had it replaced by apple in march of 2012.

Ok so, about a week ago, I was updating the OS, was a hot day, computer also got hot, managed to install the OS just fine, did all the updates, installed fine. Eventually, after some use, the computer just died. Wouldn't boot up, was pretty sure the logic board was dead.

Took it into the Genius Bar the following day, they told me the logic board was toast. Didn't boot up for a few days.

That was a week ago. Today, I try booting it up again for shits and giggles, and it totally works. Shut it down and rebooted twice, put it to sleep once, did some web browsing.

Seems to be working fine, a little hot as usual.

Thoughts? Is it a fluke? Can I expect it to be dead in a week? Did it need more than a day or two to cool down?

Shiv47

Okay, I created a separate account for my son on a Windows 7 laptop we own, but he has various Minecraft and other files that he now doesn't have access to under his login. How do I make the files, or folders really, available to his login?

Okay, I created a separate account for my son on a Windows 7 laptop we own, but he has various Minecraft and other files that he now doesn't have access to under his login. How do I make the files, or folders really, available to his login?

To do that log into your account first and copy the folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft to C:\Users\USERNAME2\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

The AppData folder is hidden though so you have to manually navigate to it via the address-bar or make hidden folders visible first.

t-ramp

If it's not an enormous amount of stuff, I'd just manually copy/move the relevant files. For example, it appears that Minecraft saves are in the %appdata%\.minecraft folder, so I'd try copying those files from your AppData folder to your son's.

To do that log into your account first and copy the folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft to C:\Users\USERNAME2\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

The AppData folder is hidden though so you have to manually navigate to it via the address-bar or make hidden folders visible first.
Yeah, this. You can actually get to the AppData\Roaming folder by just typing %appdata% in the address bar, though.

Shiv47

If it's not an enormous amount of stuff, I'd just manually copy/move the relevant files. For example, it appears that Minecraft saves are in the %appdata%\.minecraft folder, so I'd try copying those files from your AppData folder to your son's.

Yeah, this. You can actually get to the AppData\Roaming folder by just typing %appdata% in the address bar, though.

Thanks to you both!

Keikaku

I'm guessing my graphics card is hosed, right TechSupportGAF? Fuck.
After it does that, it usually crashes. Sometimes it staggers on for a while then crashes. My drivers are all up to date.

Please, help me.

Ramma2

I'm guessing my graphics card is hosed, right TechSupportGAF? Fuck.

After it does that, it usually crashes. Sometimes it staggers on for a while then crashes. My drivers are all up to date.

Please, help me.

Yes, certainly looks that way. Basic troubleshooting if you have the parts/machines to accomplish it, is try the video card in another computer or try a different card in yours.

So. Shitty dorm internet at college. Lag spikes that last 5-15 seconds every five minutes. I have my router connected to the wall and then my Xbox connected to that with ports forwarded. Kept getting kicked from NHL 14 over and over.

Stopped playing for a while (around 9 pm). Started again around 11 after changing my DNS to Google's DNS servers. Still some lag spikes but not enough to kick me offline.

Is this due to the new DNS servers or because of the time? I want to make sure before I buy a game I primarily play online.

Whogie

fdel9Sc.jpg

I grabbed this DVI splitter for this GPU, but it seems to have one pin too many. Is there a reason for this? Should I attempt to break off the extra pin?

VVVV kk, thanks. I'll try and track one down.

DogMeat77

fdel9Sc.jpg

I grabbed this DVI splitter for this GPU, but it seems to have one pin too many. Is there a reason for this? Should I attempt to break off the extra pin?

No. Do not try to break it off. What is on your video card is a DMS-59 connector. DMS as in "Dual Monitor Solution". It was made to carry two video signals out of the single input. You will need a DMS-59 to DVI cable for this. These can be purchased on Amazon or Newegg for $10-15 USD.

So i got a new mobo and i got everything connected the green power indicator glows but the pc wont go on. anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

G.O.O.

Hi people

so I'm fed up with Win7's backup tool... I'm used to the huge images it produces, but this time it just wouldn't delete the old one and replace it, even if my HDD has 180+ Go free out of 232. I tried to change the settings for a lighter save and manually deleted the old one but it didn't work, it's still asking for more space. So right now I have no backup image, and I'm looking for a program that will -simply- do what the windows tool used to do, whatever that is... any advice would be welcomed.

So i've been running the same disc drives for about 2 years and recently (may/june) I switched my main drive over to an SSD. Thing's have been great up until the last few weeks. I've noticed severe slowdown when it comes to all things file transfers. What used to be blazing fast now starts up at 23mbs and slows a horrible 3-6mbs between drives. I back up a lot of stuff to an internal "green" drive and keep it parked there for storage. But now I'm getting errors randomly the last two days.

zFkcDTS.jpg

Should I just dump this drive and get a new drive? Or what? I don't know what to do.

Current setup of drives:

C: 256gb Sandisk SSD (system and programs)
D: 1.5tb WD Green drive (backup)
G: 1tb WD Black drive (main drive for games)

linkboy

I'm having a problem with my laptop's trackpad.

I use a mouse and I have the track pad disabled so my wrists don't fling the cursor around.

Anyways, it uses Synaptic's driver and early this evening it started enabling itself. I would disable it and it would enable itself again. It just started doing this out of the blue.

I uninstalled Synaptic's driver and re-installed it and so far it's working, but I have a feeling it's going to do it again.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I got a question.

So I bought a Gigabyte Geforce 770 a couple of weeks ago. I bought it through my company's official computer parts provider so I don't have a store webpage to look back on or anything.

The problem is that everywhere on the box it says it has 2gigs of ram but everywhere on my pc (device manager, dxdiag, drivers, etc) says I have 4gigs...

Now I know that Gigabyte does make a 4gb version of the 770. AFAIK the card looked new when I bought it (was sealed and all).

So which one should I believe?

t-ramp

So I bought a Gigabyte Geforce 770 a couple of weeks ago. I bought it through my company's official computer parts provider so I don't have a store webpage to look back on or anything.

The problem is that everywhere on the box it says it has 2gigs of ram but everywhere on my pc (device manager, dxdiag, drivers, etc) says I have 4gigs...

Now I know that Gigabyte does make a 4gb version of the 770. AFAIK the card looked new when I bought it (was sealed and all).

I'd believe what the computer shows, probably. Is there a sticker or anything on the card itself with any info?

shinjijai

Did you try GPU-Z? If not, take a look.

DogMeat77

You would want to believe what the computer is showing in dxdiag/drivers info/etc. Congrats on the free upgrade lol

Hey TechGAF, could use some help with a problem involving Microsoft Word (2010). I was going to open a document to read and then I see this:

All of them are changed to DOCX files instead of the standard MS Word files. Weird, I thought, so I tried to open a document using a different program and I naturally chose MS Word. It didn't work and the file would not open in MS Word.

I'm still able to access Word and open the documents through word, but for some reason I'm not able to open them without opening word first which is a bit of an inconvenience.
Anyone know whats going on?

Edit: I'm using the free version, Microsoft Word Starter 2010. I'm hoping that I don't need to buy the premium version :/

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hey TechGAF, could use some help with a problem involving Microsoft Word (2010). I was going to open a document to read and then I see this:

Edit: I'm using the free version, Microsoft Word Starter 2010. I'm hoping that I don't need to buy the premium version :/
The good news is that you are not alone. Seems Microsoft snuck something in recent updates that causes this on machines using free versions of office software. The bad news is that I'm not sure how you can fix it legally outside of rolling back updates or purchasing office in some capacity.

Top Bottom