• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

SpyGuy239

Hey guys need some help here. Can't figure out the problem.

I just got a new 780, and put it in my system. It's less than a week old.

PC Specs:
i7 860 Stock with Xigmatek Cooler (temps never go above 64 degrees Celsius on 100% load)
8gb DDR3 Ram XMP profile available, but running on stock
P55a UD4P motherboard
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD – This is the drive the OS is on and software like browsers and MS Office, no games etc.
4 other WD HDDs, Blu-Ray drive
XFX 800W PSU (Silver)
Gigabyte GTX 780 (temperatures never go above 75 degrees Celsius on 100% load)

Keep getting this error when turn on my computer after it's been off for more than 5 hours:

dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d140 fffff880`10040000 fffff880`10134000 0x000f4000 0x51fa153d 1/8/2013 7:58:53 AM
dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+37f3c fffff880`10134000 fffff880`1017a000 0x00046000 0x5164dc13 10/4/2013 3:27:15 AM
nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+994074 fffff880`0f409000 fffff880`10040000 0x00c37000 0x52676afe 23/10/2013 6:21:50 AM

The computer would just boot to windows then crash and automatically restart.

This would not happen if I shut down my computer for half and hour and turned it on again.

So I have to go into safe mode and clean install the nvidia drivers again and the computer would boot fine to the desktop no problems. HOwever if I turn off the computer for more than (I'm assuming a few hours) the same error would come up again.

When I am in Safe mode, re-installing the drivers, the computer would have no problems and would never crash

At first I thought it might be a hardware issue but I ran Fumark for 30 minutes at the highest settings at 1080p and 3D mark as well. Played Battlefield 4 for over 2 hours. Not a single crash or artifact seen.

My computer is able to be turned on for 3 days on end without any errors.

Any clues guys?

I'm about to do a fresh install of windows now since I'm at my wits end...

Casanova

I'm "upgrading" (hopefully) from an Radeon HD 5450 and 350 watt PSU to a PNY NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ and a 450 watt PSU.

What kind of improvements will I likely see, if any?

Links to both GPU's:

Radeon HD 5450

GeForce 9800 GTX+

FYI: This is a temporary system I am giving to my young nephew for Christmas, as I am currently building a custom PC, courtesy of "I need a new PC GAF"

I mainly just play League of Legends on the PC - I am getting a PS4 quite soon.

(x-post from PC thread)

Could anyone help me with this? TF2 stated crashing today. This is in the event viewer. System is 6950 2GB, 2500K @ 4Ghz, Win 8. Thanks.

Faulting application name: hl2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x526aeb3e
Faulting module name: engine.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5272ce1a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00172c5c
Faulting process id: 0x7f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cedb3091802a3a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\bin\engine.dll
Report Id: ca7bcd25-4726-11e3-bebe-14dae909675a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

edit: already tried verifying game cache.

brentech

(x-post from PC thread)

Could anyone help me with this? TF2 stated crashing today. This is in the event viewer. System is 6950 2GB, 2500K @ 4Ghz, Win 8. Thanks.

Faulting application name: hl2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x526aeb3e
Faulting module name: engine.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5272ce1a
Fault offset: 0x00172c5c
Faulting process id: 0x7f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cedb3091802a3a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\bin\engine.dll
Report Id: ca7bcd25-4726-11e3-bebe-14dae909675a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

edit: already tried verifying game cache.

looks like it's going to be some sort of drive conflict. From some other tech support forum:

Found the culprit. I've been using the Ralink supplied driver 5.0.5.0 from Ralink's website. I noticed that when I upgraded from the Windows Update provided driver to that one, the game started crashing with the access violation mdmp. Uninstall driver.... TF2 works....

I have a Rosewill RNX-N300X so I tried the driver version there (which is just a older Ralink version 3.2.13) and it works. It's a higher version than the one supplied by Microsoft too.

Case closed.
You're not likely to be experiencing the same exact problem, but it should make you think of any changes you've recently made, or updates you've installed. Try reverting back and see if it happens.

How long have you been playing TF2 without a crash, and if it started today, how many times has it crashed today?

Ya no

I just switched out motherboards in a computer I have to a newer one and now I'm having trouble with my dual monitor display. On the previous mobo, I simply plugged a DVI and VGA cable into the onboard video and it worked fine. I had it setup to extend the desktops. Now, for the new mobo, I'm getting video on both monitors but it's duplicating and under display preferences it's only showing one monitor. If I click the Identify button it shows a 1 on both monitors. Any idea? Windows 7.

I decided to upgrade my Radeon HD 6950 to a Nvidia GTX 770. I took the old card out and put the new one in. When I start the computer I get a screen that says:

"JMicron Technology Corp. PCI Express to SATAII HOST Controller ROM v1.07.28
Copyright (C) 2005-2010. JMicron Technology Corp.

Detecting drives, please wait..._"

It just sits there going nowhere. I left it for five minutes to see if it would do anything, but nothing. I can't even get into the BIOS. I verified all the connections to my two SSDs and one HDD and they're all secure. I've searched on the internet and haven't found anything useful. I'm really hoping this isn't as simple as, "That GPU won't work for your motherboard." I uninstalled everything AMD before uninstalling the 6950. I didn't install anything Nvidia. I figured that would be better after the 770 was installed. I haven't found a whole lot of relevant info when I search this issue. Everything I've found says it has to do with the SATA ports and HDDs. Would clearing the CMOS help?

Specs:
Windows 8.1
AMD FX-4100 OC'ed to 4.5GHz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
8gb RAM
Corsair TX850M 850W PSU
Had a Radeon HD 6950 2gb, but put in a MSI GeForce GTX 770 4gb

Thank you for your time and help!

Clearing the CMOS worked! Sorry for the needless post.

New question, however. I'm getting about the same performance in Arma 3 with my new 770 as I was with my 6950. Nothing is being bottlenecked. The CPU is often 10-20% higher than the GPU, but they mostly go up and down together. Any ideas why my FPS is being throttled?

Easy_G

I can see all of the forced restarts I did as critical errors, but no real pattern (to me) of other errors. There are always several events around the time of the restart, but they seem to change each time. Is there a place to get help reading the even viewer?

Just reiterating my question. I'm still getting random freezes of my past on the last page (50ppp that is!) and the event log has an error for the restart and various programs having some issue during boot up, but they're are also some other events that I can't decipher.

looks like it's going to be some sort of drive conflict. From some other tech support forum:

You're not likely to be experiencing the same exact problem, but it should make you think of any changes you've recently made, or updates you've installed. Try reverting back and see if it happens.

How long have you been playing TF2 without a crash, and if it started today, how many times has it crashed today?

Sorry forgot to check this thread. Thanks for looking into it. I think you're right about it being something network related. Right before it crashes I typically lose connection to Steam, and then my general internet doesn't work for about 10 seconds before it comes back.

I'll try changing out the network drivers, thanks!

My PC is pretty lame, but it used to play pretty much everything I wanted when I built it three or four years ago (Radeon HD 5670, Intel E5200). Nowadays, the performance of my machine is abysmal, even in the same games I used to play. For example, I used to be able to run Skyrim on medium at 30 to 60fps, now it barely even hits 20.

I've run some utilities on my computer and it seems performance declines within a matter of a minute after beginning 3D tasks. In Windows or Linux, I lose frame rates in test applications almost immediately. glxgears starts high (7000fps) and then drastically declines within a matter of thirty seconds (3000fps).

I know it's a hardware issue because it has crossed Linux and multiple installs of Windows. I know it's not the processor; it's tied only to 3D applications. I suspect either a heat issue, a power supply issue (the one I'm using is pretty old), or my graphics card is becoming defective. Does anyone have any ideas?

My PC is pretty lame, but it used to play pretty much everything I wanted when I built it three or four years ago (Radeon HD 5670, Intel E5200). Nowadays, the performance of my machine is abysmal, even in the same games I used to play. For example, I used to be able to run Skyrim on medium at 30 to 60fps, now it barely even hits 20.

I've run some utilities on my computer and it seems performance declines within a matter of a minute after beginning 3D tasks. In Windows or Linux, I lose frame rates in test applications almost immediately. glxgears starts high (7000fps) and then drastically declines within a matter of thirty seconds (3000fps).

I know it's a hardware issue because it has crossed Linux and multiple installs of Windows. I know it's not the processor; it's tied only to 3D applications. I suspect either a heat issue, a power supply issue (the one I'm using is pretty old), or my graphics card is becoming defective. Does anyone have any ideas?

The bolded are classic symptoms of either your CPU or GPU downclocking itself during intensive operation due to overheating. Especially since the same apps that used to perform decently are now suffering, assuming that your system has been maintained well enough in the software department. (Regular cleanups, etc)

To verify this, you can use a vendor agnostic GPU monitoring program like GPUz combined with CPUz/HWMonitor/Throttlestop (this one is the best at detecting CPU throttling due to excessive temperatures) while running your 3D games/apps in windowed mode.

Note the following aspects:
1. The Core Temps of both CPU and GPU in those apps.

2. If downclocking is suspected due to overheating, note the core clocks of both GPU and CPU. You need to know what are the normal, stock clocks of both the Core 2 and Radeon 5670 when in performance mode first though.

E.g If the idle clocks are 157/300 for example and the normal 3D operating clocks are 675/800, when the system overheats, you'd expect the card to throttle itself to the former clocks. Same goes for the CPU.

3. Just to be sure, make sure you've got Performance set to High Performance in Power Options.

I am having a problem with the mic on my headset. For some reason the audio from anything like games, music and video plays instead of my voice and i havent changed any settings. Anyone know a solution to this problem?

The bolded are classic symptoms of either your CPU or GPU downclocking itself during intensive operation due to overheating. Especially since the same apps that used to perform decently are now suffering, assuming that your system has been maintained well enough in the software department. (Regular cleanups, etc)

To verify this, you can use a vendor agnostic GPU monitoring program like GPUz combined with CPUz/HWMonitor/Throttlestop (this one is the best at detecting CPU throttling due to excessive temperatures) while running your 3D games/apps in windowed mode.

[...]

Thanks for this. I've actually done something similar to this with my CPU, so I don't know why I never tried with my GPU as well.

commedieu

Banned
I'm hitting a wall here...

Wacom issue; Related to the circles around Icon.
Windows 8 64bit...

I've managed to do the registry fixes to remove the circles from lagging out the tablet input, those familiar will know, NOW, i have to click the tablet to right click... I may be having a brain fart, I may have changed some setting a midst trying to fix the circles issue.

Does anyone know if there is a setting with the Wacom, or windows, that is causing me to have to press down on the tablet, to then use the pen's right/click? Instead of being able to just slightly hover over the tablet, no pressure, and right click?

Thanks for your time.

malfcn

Tried different drivers and such and everything is still banded and dithered looking. I have colors set to 32bit and the res up. *whines*

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so this is odd. My new work laptop, a HP EliteBook Folio 9470m, has a really slow wifi speed when docked and closed (less than 1Mb/s). If I open it up - changing nothing else, so still docked etc - I get 20Mb/s.

I've set it to not go to sleep when I close the lid and I'm on AC power (so I can use it closed) and I work from home so I was hoping to just leave it closed all the time and use my separate KB/M/monitor.

Any suggestions?

tehrafe

so this is odd. My new work laptop, a HP EliteBook Folio 9470m, has a really slow wifi speed when docked and closed (less than 1Mb/s). If I open it up - changing nothing else, so still docked etc - I get 20Mb/s.

I've set it to not go to sleep when I close the lid and I'm on AC power (so I can use it closed) and I work from home so I was hoping to just leave it closed all the time and use my separate KB/M/monitor.

Any suggestions?

Maybe check if the wireless adapter power savings plan is correct?

Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and sound -> Power Options

Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power saving mode -> Setting -> Maximum performance

Except for that it could be a setting in the driver that lowers it when the lid is closed.

Any suggestions?

This is a shot in the dark, but it almost sounds like a WIFI antenna issue that's dependent on the positioning of your laptop screen. I.e closing may obstruct/obscure the signal to the card thats mounted onto the bottom of your laptop.

EDIT:- Found a better, potentially more accurate explanation

But the main reason your signal degrades, is because the antennas are in the screen bezel. When the screen is open, they stick up. When closed, they are inefficient as the ends are pointing horizontally, and lower (toward you) instead of vertically.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sounds like the latter - looking at a pic, the antennas are in the top left/right corners of the screen.

Need to get this thing wired up then I guess - will be a pain but ultimately worth doing.

I have a weird problem.

In a remote desktop connection, if I type my username and password, it does not work. If I type it to notepad first and then copy/paste the user/pass, it works. Username and password does not contain any special characters, just letters and numbers. Multiple users have had this problem.

nan0

I have a weird problem.

In a remote desktop connection, if I type my username and password, it does not work. If I type it to notepad first and then copy/paste the user/pass, it works. Username and password does not contain any special characters, just letters and numbers. Multiple users have had this problem.

I currently can't check it, but does the dialogue maybe have a separate switcher for the keyboard language?

I currently can't check it, but does the dialogue maybe have a separate switcher for the keyboard language?

I don't think so. It should be very basic RDP connection. There is a RDP shortcut with the server details filled in and upon connecting it will ask username and password as always. Similiar to pic below (pic is from random google search):
RDP-Credentials-Large.jpg

If I type the username and password to the fields, it won't work. With copy/paste it works. Weird.

Edit: Seems to be related to the local computer. Same shortcut works normally from other computers.

Hi TechGAF,

My laptop has been blue screening and crashing recently. Thankfully everything gets saved before hand, but its still extremely annoying and worrying.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Z830 and have had it for just over a year now.

This is what I get

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: fe
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000000000006
BCP3: 0000000000000005
BCP4: FFFFFA800A090B20
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111213-10576-01.dmp
C:\Users\Srikar\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-32120-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

After some research I figured out it was something to do with the USB drives. I hardly ever use them though and I don't even use a mouse. What do GAF? What do? :(

P.s I'm not very technically inclined as you might be able to tell

Edit: I would upload the minidump file, but I do not know how to nor do I know how to open it. I can't even find 'appdata' in my files

Edit 2: It happened again, and starting to get really worried.

Problem signature:

BCCode: 8084
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000

Any help would be welcome

Dawg

Our TV downstairs is connected to HD decoder by a powerline adapter. So the TV is plugged in the adapter and the second adapter is plugged into our router.

Now, a while ago someone on GAF told me you only need one adapter in the router if you'd like to add a second powerline.

So... now I bought a powerline for my PC and I plugged it in... but it doesn't have internet access. It says unidentified network. What could be the problem? Should I reset the router because I added a new connection?

TL;DR: TV is connected to powerline adapter and has internet, my pc doesn't. There's only one adapter plugged into the router though (same brand as TV adapter) but my pc should find its way to that plug too, no?

Arsenic

Hello TechGAF!

I recently did a fresh install of Windows on my desktop. After a week of reinstalling programs, reconfiguring and getting things back to normal, my PC suddenly won't boot windows at all. Just a flashing _ occurs and hangs forever.

Fine.

So load up the windows setup CD and I use the command prompt to do some repairs. I feel it is important to mention that the OS doesn't show up, so the repairs are done under "Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk".

Under command prompt I type the following commands with the following results:

Bootrec.exe/FixMbr - Success!
Bootrec.exe/FixBoot - Element not found.
Bootrec.exe/RebuildBcd - Um, things get weird.

The search finds the OS, but when I type 'Y' to add it to boot list, the "Element not found" result occurs. Why can't it be added to the bootlist?

I'm stuck at this point, and even worse, now when I try to boot up my PC as normal again, a different error shows.

Notes:

- Reinstalling the OS is my last option. I just did it last week, and if this problem occurs again I don;t want to keep reinstalling the OS. It's a waste of time and I'd like to be productive.

- Before this all happened, I got a blue screen of death detailing "Power_state_driver failure" or something in that sort. It dumped memory to disk and I had to press enter to restart. That was the last time I was booted into windows.

- I defragmented my HDDs just prior to all of this, leaving my computer on and connected for 24 hours+. My SDD which houses the OS was not touched, since that will damage the drive rather than help. I still feel I should mention this.

- I wanna pay my PC games :(

Ya no

I'm trying to get three monitors to run at the same time for a job/lab, but I'm having trouble. I'm trying to use the integrated video on the mobo as well as a video card. I currently have two displays running off of the video card, but can't get the integrated video on the mobo to output anything.

The mobo is a biostar A880GZ and the video card I threw in is a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/VGA (we have tons of those laying around).

The integrated graphics on't show up in device manager. Even if I go into the bios and set it to use the integrated graphics before going to the video card, it still only displays video form the card, nothing from the integrated video. Could it be that this board simply doesn't allow me to use onboard video and a video card at the same time? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help

Telaso

Banned
Hi TechGAF,

My laptop has been blue screening and crashing recently. Thankfully everything gets saved before hand, but its still extremely annoying and worrying.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Z830 and have had it for just over a year now.

This is what I get

Problem signature:

BCCode: fe
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000000000006
BCP3: 0000000000000005
BCP4: FFFFFA800A090B20

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111213-10576-01.dmp
C:\Users\Srikar\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-32120-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

After some research I figured out it was something to do with the USB drives. I hardly ever use them though and I don't even use a mouse. What do GAF? What do? :(

P.s I'm not very technically inclined as you might be able to tell

Edit: I would upload the minidump file, but I do not know how to nor do I know how to open it. I can't even find 'appdata' in my files

Edit 2: It happened again, and starting to get really worried.

Problem signature:

BCCode: 8084
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000

Any help would be welcome

I would download and run a memtest. Those numbers look like a memory problem to me.

I'm trying to get three monitors to run at the same time for a job/lab, but I'm having trouble. I'm trying to use the integrated video on the mobo as well as a video card. I currently have two displays running off of the video card, but can't get the integrated video on the mobo to output anything.

The mobo is a biostar A880GZ and the video card I threw in is a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/VGA (we have tons of those laying around).

The integrated graphics on't show up in device manager. Even if I go into the bios and set it to use the integrated graphics before going to the video card, it still only displays video form the card, nothing from the integrated video. Could it be that this board simply doesn't allow me to use onboard video and a video card at the same time? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help

I dont believe you can do this. The mboards are programmed to use the vcard if it shows up. You would need another peice of hardware to counter act it. I think the cheapest option would be to get one of those USB video adapters for the third. It will be slower than the other two though.

partime

I just switched out motherboards in a computer I have to a newer one and now I'm having trouble with my dual monitor display. On the previous mobo, I simply plugged a DVI and VGA cable into the onboard video and it worked fine. I had it setup to extend the desktops. Now, for the new mobo, I'm getting video on both monitors but it's duplicating and under display preferences it's only showing one monitor. If I click the Identify button it shows a 1 on both monitors. Any idea? Windows 7.

Are your new motherboards VGA drivers installed?
If you go in the Device Manager, do you see them listed?

Also, if you changed your motherboard to a different version, did you have to re-install Windows? If Windows just loaded normally, you might have to re-install it to prevent errors or inaccuracies.

Ya no

Are your new motherboards VGA drivers installed?
If you go in the Device Manager, do you see them listed?

Also, if you changed your motherboard to a different version, did you have to re-install Windows? If Windows just loaded normally, you might have to re-install it to prevent errors or inaccuracies.

I got that problem worked out, it was simply outdated drivers. I'm having issues now in getting a third monitor to work. I posted this a few posts up:

Thanks for any help

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, I'm looking for an advice.

I'd like to replace the default Windows 7 file copy/move interface. Big part of my job is to move around HUGE folders (I'm talking about 150+gb and over 30 000 files at a time) so the default UI in Win7 is a bit lackluster.

I've been using Supercopier for a little while and it actually does everything I would want like Pause/Resume, re-ordering the file queue, more precise estimate, etc. The problem tho is that it's kinda buggy, doesn't work if I try to use it while connected remotely to my pc (it 100% crash if I try) and it also has a hard time handling rights management on network folders so it's giving me a lot of false positive Access Denied or Not Enough empty space error messages.

Anybody know a good alternative?

Tendo

Alright guys, I'm in a bind. I have recently moved and now graphically intensive games are causing stuttering when I turn or move quickly. I can hear my graphics card stutter at the same time the game stutters. I swapped in a spare card though and it still happens. Check disk and smart scan appear normal.

I can cause it to stutter. Fps will be smooth but if I turn so new objects or textures need loaded it stutters until loaded then it becomes smooth again. Graphics settings have no real affect.

My only thought is that when I moved it was dropped or bumped and now the HD is failing and struggling to load textures and game data fast enough? I'm not really sure. Maybe a psu issue?

Zapages

my windows 7 computer and laptop are having a weird problem since the critical update from MS (a couple days ago-.

Basically if I type something on google search, it takes a time to process it... Its basically hangs with nothing happening... Then I go back click on search button or wait for a few minutes... It then processes it.

On top of that, Speed test fails for some odd reason.

Some sites download information for specific files don't appear, which is very strange. I am talking about websites like NCBI/EMB/educational sites.

I am running MSE right now...

MrBig

Hey guys, I'm looking for an advice.

I'd like to replace the default Windows 7 file copy/move interface. Big part of my job is to move around HUGE folders (I'm talking about 150+gb and over 30 000 files at a time) so the default UI in Win7 is a bit lackluster.

I've been using Supercopier for a little while and it actually does everything I would want like Pause/Resume, re-ordering the file queue, a queue, more precise estimate, etc. The problem tho is that it's kinda buggy, doesn't work if I try to use it while connected remotely to my pc (it 100% crash if I try) and it also has a hard time handling rights management on network folders so it's giving me a lot of false positive Access Denied or Not Enough empty space error messages.

Anybody know a good alternative?

Windows 8's copy utility is quite an improvement, with fairly accurate timers, a queue, a graph of write speed, and pause/resume. I haven't had any issues with network drives but I don't move files more than a few GBs over them on my network.

my windows 7 computer and laptop are having a weird problem since the critical update from MS (a couple days ago-.

Basically if I type something on google search, it takes a time to process it... Its basically hangs with nothing happening... Then I go back click on search button or wait for a few minutes... It then processes it.

On top of that, Speed test fails for some odd reason.

Some sites download information for specific files don't appear, which is very strange. I am talking about websites like NCBI/EMB/educational sites.

I am running MSE right now...

Have you/can you load a restore point prior to this?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Two problems:

1) I close the lid on my laptop to put it to sleep. If it is not plugged in, it generally stays asleep until I open the lid and press the power button. If it is plugged in, however, it turns itself back on after about 10 minutes of being asleep. It stays awake in its closed-lid state until I open the lid, which immediately turns the screen back on. How do I fix this so it stays asleep?

2) I bought a brand new Panasonic 58" LED LCD and it has built-in apps like Netflix and the like. The TV has HDMI ARC, as does my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V371. I want the TV sound to go through the receiver without using an additional cable, as ARC is supposed to work. I set it all up enabled it in both menus. The receiver recognizes that the TV is sending out an audio signal, changes to the correct audio channel and allows me to use my regular universal remote which controls my receiver, cable box, etc. The volume goes up and down normally, but NO sound comes out. I cannot figure this out and it is ridiculously aggravating. No amount of troubleshooting I have done has led me to any concrete answers!

reposting from google chrome ot:

Okay, I don't know if it's just me, but I'm getting real tired of having my YouTube videos stutter every goddamn time I try to watch a video. I don't know how to fix it. I deleted the Pepperflash folder, disabled, nuked it, etc., but that didn't work at all. I'm using Version 32.0.1700.14 beta-m Aura.

LLShC.gif

Hi guys, I've got a weird problem.

When using my computer I will suddenly get a huge drop in performance and everything will go extremely sluggish.

When I google the problem they're talking about virusses/spyware/... I have windows defender though, so it should have detected anything out of the ordinary, no?

Symphonia

Banned
My sound on my laptop isn't working. Or it does for a second or two, albeit extremely tinny and distorted, then cuts out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, updated the drivers on all hardware and still nothing. I've tried plugging in headphones, too, and that doesn't work. What could the issue be? I'm on a HP Pavilion G6, with Windows 8.1, if that helps.

PKrockin

Quick question. I should be okay buying an OEM Windows 7 license from eBay and installing it on any computer as long as it's a new license, right? And from my understanding, there's no way to transfer OEM licenses to another computer once installed?

BlindRage

Alright so I feel like I'm screwed...

Trying to upgrade my MacBook Pro to OSX And it keeps telling me that my disk needs repaired and when I try to repair it, it won't work. I can't get to anything other than the trying to install OSX screen. I was in the middle of doing a PowerPoint and word document for school. I saved them but now I can't even get to my desktop. I have tried googling everything and I can't figure it out. Am I fucked?

I would appreciate any help if you guys could. I keep trying to repair the disk so that osx can install but it keeps getting stopped. Also, looks like I have no time machine backups to restore from.. Great.

For the past month or so I have been having issue with explorer.exe crashing. It most commonly crashes when I either close a window, close mpc-hc, or when I eject my USB drives. The only recent change I made to my computer was changing my old keyboard for a new keyboard. I've already run memtest to check if it was a RAM issue and I've also reformatted and reinstalled a couple of times and explorer still crashes.
I am on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

These crashes are getting annoying and I would appreciate any help anyone could give me in solving the problem.

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BEX64
  Application Name:	Explorer.EXE
  Application Version:	6.1.7601.17514
  Application Timestamp:	4ce7a144
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_3d5b
  Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
  Exception Offset:	0000000004bb0fd8
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Data:	0000000000000008
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	3d5b
  Additional Information 2:	3d5bc6ee261db9aa6fef00b75eef8738
  Additional Information 3:	0cb7
  Additional Information 4:	0cb72d1c06890b6253f5c98b366be86c

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Fault offset: 0x0000000004bb0fd8
Faulting process id: 0x8ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee5cd429ec303
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 55231e31-51c3-11e3-8bf1-c86000bf880e

So I usually use my work's Wifi on my smartphone, just earlier I needed to use my mobile Chrome on my smartphone to browse GAF on my break etc.

I forgot that I had a pr0n page open from last night, (quite the explicit one too) when I launched Mobile Chrome, it went straight to the video with it's very lewd name, but it actually didn't go anywhere and it automatically blocked it. "This site is blocked" (Work naturally
blocks pr0n sites)

So here's my paranoia, can anyone (IT) find out that I made an "attempt" to open a pr0n page? Or I shouldn't worry about anything here? I don't want my management to think that I was trying to open a Pr0n page at work...Can they track it to my phone?

Please Advise!

Dai101

Banned
So here's my paranoia, can anyone (IT) find out that I made an "attempt" to open a pr0n page? Or I shouldn't worry about anything here? I don't want my management to think that I was trying to open a Pr0n page at work...Can they track it to my phone?

Please Advise!

YES YES and YES! maybe they'll show a device they don't know (your phone) and wonder what or how an unknown device could connect to the network. I'll start to update my resume.

Derrick01

Banned
Cross posting from the PS4 thread since it'll probably get answered here

Umm wtf? I went to playstation's website, us.playstation.com, went to sign in on there and after hitting submit I got a warning.

SSL Error

You attempted to reach us.playstation.com but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as a248.e.akamai.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguartion on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of us.playstation.com

What the hell's going on here?

I logged out of some other sites and logged back in and this warning didn't pop up so I don't think it's a virus on my end or anything like that. Malwarebytes scan was also clean.

edit: I noticed some recommendations on google for flushing DNS that might fix it but it didn't. Still only seems to be affecting playstation's log in on their various web sites.

Maddocks

cross posting from the "stupid questions thread"

my internet hates me or my computer hates me. One or the other.

OK my issue is a stupid one, because I have looked online and even called my ISP to deal with it and they are no help.

My internet has decided that it will only connect to some sites. I can go to Yahoo, but I can't do a websearch. I ran all virus software and malware software and no problems came up. I cant update my windows files because it will just hang and stop downloading because it wont connect.

I reset my router, reset my modem, called my ISP to have them reset stuff on their end and help me out. Nothing has helped. Am I screwed here? I have reformatted my computer to stock to see if that would help and nothing changed. I need help to the highest degree and honestly, out of ideas.

also to add, the same thing happens if Im using wifi through my phone. I can go to youtube on it, but cant search. But if I set it to 4g, it will search no problem and give results. But also if I use wifi on my laptop, it will connect and search and have no hang ups.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the problem happens on all web browsers, IE,Firefox, Chrome.

Top Bottom