• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Ydahs

From another thread:

"I was recently awarded an MSI laptop which came with an MSI version of Windows 7 pre-installed (like any other new laptop). Now, I want to format the laptop because I want it to be a clean install with none of MSI's crappy additions but I'm wondering if the Windows 7 CD Key on the bottom of my laptop is only applicable for the MSI Windows 7 installation.

The CD Key on the bottom of the laptop is labeled as follows:

Windows 7 Home Prem OA
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL

I would have tried installing it anyway but it didn't come with an MSI Win7 installation disk... so if it doesn't work, I would be screwed.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you."

Pringo

Banned
Repost from the Firefox 3.6 thread:

I noticed a few days ago that Firefox has started rendering the colours in some webpages a bit oddly. So far either the hue is a bit different from what it's supposed to be or the page is a bit darker than normal for some reason. And this seems to be effecting individual files and not necessarily the whole pages themselves. I've had instances where two images of the same colour are appearing different. I am not getting these issues with IE and I honestly do not know what's causing it. I tried completely reinstalling FF but that did nothing. Has anyone else had this issue before or know how to go about dealing with it?

I'm on Firefox 3.6.3 right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dear GAF,

upon starting my computer up my desktop randomly switches resolutions, most of the time it returns to 720p (I forget the exact resolution dimensions) but sometimes it stays at 1080p, and sometimes the screen appears black and white or like the colours are bleeding. I suspect that it's a problem between my computer and TV (using an HDTV as a monitor), the native resolution of the TV being 1080p...the writing is too small for me to read in 1080 mode. A restart normally sorts the problem if it persists but it's getting annoying having to change the resolution back every time I startup.

BTW, graphics card drivers are all up to date. The TV is a Panasonic Viera.

Erasus

Ydahs said:
From another thread:

"I was recently awarded an MSI laptop which came with an MSI version of Windows 7 pre-installed (like any other new laptop). Now, I want to format the laptop because I want it to be a clean install with none of MSI's crappy additions but I'm wondering if the Windows 7 CD Key on the bottom of my laptop is only applicable for the MSI Windows 7 installation.

The CD Key on the bottom of the laptop is labeled as follows:

Windows 7 Home Prem OA
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL

I would have tried installing it anyway but it didn't come with an MSI Win7 installation disk... so if it doesn't work, I would be screwed.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you."

There is no MSI version of Windows 7. You have the regular home preminum.

quickwhips

PumpkinPie said:
Dear GAF,

upon starting my computer up my desktop randomly switches resolutions, most of the time it returns to 720p (I forget the exact resolution dimensions) but sometimes it stays at 1080p, and sometimes the screen appears black and white or like the colours are bleeding. I suspect that it's a problem between my computer and TV (using an HDTV as a monitor), the native resolution of the TV being 1080p...the writing is too small for me to read in 1080 mode. A restart normally sorts the problem if it persists but it's getting annoying having to change the resolution back every time I startup.

BTW, graphics card drivers are all up to date. The TV is a Panasonic Viera.

Can you tell us what type of video card it is also? It would help maybe.

Ydahs

Erasus said:
There is no MSI version of Windows 7. You have the regular home preminum.
quickwhips said:
That is a home version of windows cd key. As long as its windows 7 home it should work. But I think some other guy already said that.
Thank you both. Will probably format it next weekend then, but first I need a Win7 32-bit CD as I only have the 64-bit version... ah well, thanks again :D

Just an update with my situation:

My Macbook's display showed horrible tearing and froze.

I was told that the logic board was dead and would cost 300 USD to replace...

: (

I'm still having issues with Windows 7. My computer is a beast and more than able to run it, I've tried 2 different video cards and I get the same problem with both. When my computer starts up everything works great but after it goes into sleep or hibernation mode when it wakes the screen flashes and I lose transparency and start having issues with video playback. I can't run Windows experience index because of the the playback error and I can't watch videos stored on my hard drive. Sound is normal but video stutters and freezes.

Any idea what could be wrong?

quickwhips

VelvetMouth said:
I'm still having issues with Windows 7. My computer is a beast and more than able to run it, I've tried 2 different video cards and I get the same problem with both. When my computer starts up everything works great but after it goes into sleep or hibernation mode when it wakes the screen flashes and I lose transparency and start having issues with video playback. I can't run Windows experience index because of the the playback error and I can't watch videos stored on my hard drive. Sound is normal but video stutters and freezes.

Any idea what could be wrong?

what video cards are they ati or nvida models?

Artadius

I've got some resident program or service that is causing a periodic windows 'click' sound to play every so often and I can't figure out what is causing it. It has no discernible pattern, but it is not often (couple of times an hour maybe). I've one by one closed down all the programs I have in my task bar area and I've still got it happening.

Is there any way to see a log of actions which have triggered a sound to be played either native in Windows 7 or some third party app? I've already checked my event logs in the admin menu and nothing has matched up with the times after I've heard it.

It's driving me crazy.

quickwhips said:
Can you tell us what type of video card it is also? It would help maybe.

It's an XFX GTX 260, I've had no problems playing games etc... it's only on logging into Windows that causes the problems.

quickwhips said:
what video cards are they ati or nvida models?

I've tried an ATI Radeon 4850 and Nvidia Gforce 9300 with updated drivers. Aero and playback works well and is still working after I rebooted a couple of hours ago. By later tonight if I come back to my computer and wake it up aero will work but then the screen will flash and it reverts to non transparency and playback starts stuttering.

hubes

Something is wrong with my computer and I have no idea what it is. It was working fine around 9 this morning and then I go to class, come back at around 11 and I'm logged off. When I logged back in I was unable to open up any programs. When I go to open something up it says, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." This doesn't make sense to me since I am logged into the administrator account.

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I wasn't able to find anything after a quick google search so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

I have 1 partition on my hard drive (C:\ = 228gb)

I have 55gb of free space on this partition and I want to take 20gb and make a new partition for a dual boot. How can I do this? I have Windows 7.

Joe said:
I have 1 partition on my hard drive (C:\ = 228gb)

I have 55gb of free space on this partition and I want to take 20gb and make a new partition for a dual boot. How can I do this? I have Windows 7.

It's been a while since I've been out of the help desk space, but i'm pretty sure there's a disk manager or something in Win 7 that allows you to make partitions. Or you can dl a 3rd party software to do it.

EDIT: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

hope that helps

jay

When I start my computer the desktop and programs in the task bar load but if I try to navigate to the task bar (it is set to autohide) or into folders on the desktop whatever I am doing crashes (not responding). So I boot up, go to the task bar and my pointer becomes a timer icon and I can't do anything, so I try my documents to load an mp3 and the folders open but then stop responding.

Control alt delete doesn't do anything.

Then 15 to 20 minutes later I get the Windows booting tune and everything starts to work as if nothing happened.

I've run a bunch of virus scans with Norton and one free program I can't recall at the moment, used AdAware and Spy Bot, looked at the HijackThis log and it didn't have anything weird on it.

The computer boots fine in safety mode so I uninstalled or disabled almost everything to try to get it to work in a regular boot but to no avail.

Any ideas?

quin

last year I built a small HTPC and when I turned it on for the first time there was a constant high-pitched hum coming from the motherboard. Eventually the hum disappeared on its own and has been great ever since. Last week I bought a new power supply for my PC and everything worked great... that is until I turned off my TV while the computer was still running. The humming is back, but only when my TV is turned off(connected through HDMI) AND my computer is idle. If I'm watching a video or listening to music the hum isn't there while the TV is off.

Yesterday I took apart the whole PC and reconnected everything, put it back together and tried this once more. Everything worked great, even with the TV turned off. That is until 3:00 this morning when the humming came back...

Is this a video card problem, a motherboard problem or a power problem? I'm completely stumped...

belvedere

Junior Butler
Quick question.

Will I get any signal degradation on my cable modem if I split a cable line 3 ways using a splitter?

Also, is there a preferred type of 3-way splitter to get?

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
jay said:
When I start my computer the desktop and programs in the task bar load but if I try to navigate to the task bar (it is set to autohide) or into folders on the desktop whatever I am doing crashes (not responding). So I boot up, go to the task bar and my pointer becomes a timer icon and I can't do anything, so I try my documents to load an mp3 and the folders open but then stop responding.

Control alt delete doesn't do anything.

Then 15 to 20 minutes later I get the Windows booting tune and everything starts to work as if nothing happened.

I've run a bunch of virus scans with Norton and one free program I can't recall at the moment, used AdAware and Spy Bot, looked at the HijackThis log and it didn't have anything weird on it.

The computer boots fine in safety mode so I uninstalled or disabled almost everything to try to get it to work in a regular boot but to no avail.

Any ideas?

This has been happening to me too. Normally i just reboot till it works. I'd be very interested to know what the cause of this could be.

Ashhong

so i turn on my computer, which somehow froze overnight or something, and i hear this indian music playing at startup along with some dude doing a newscast in the background. very weird. Windows alerts me i have an RPC virus. if you can tell me what i have, why cant you remove it?! i have Trend micro and MS Security Essentials, and they both cant catch it.

i dont need to reformat after this right?

Ydahs said:
Windows 7 Home Prem OA
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL

Any help appreciated!

Thank you."

If you're really worried about it, you could try partitioning off a gig or two and try installing it on there first.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Just thought I'd offer the suggestion if you were still worried.
Ashhong said:
so i turn on my computer, which somehow froze overnight or something, and i hear this indian music playing at startup along with some dude doing a newscast in the background. very weird. Windows alerts me i have an RPC virus. if you can tell me what i have, why cant you remove it?! i have Trend micro and MS Security Essentials, and they both cant catch it.

i dont need to reformat after this right?

Sounds like you need a format now, buddy. Is the music playing constantly, or just at startup? Either way, a format is probably your best option. Back up what you need and nuke the rest.

Ashhong

SundaySounds said:
Sounds like you need a format now, buddy. Is the music playing constantly, or just at startup? Either way, a format is probably your best option. Back up what you need and nuke the rest.

It only played at startup, and eventually stopped when the song was over :lol It's weird though because MSSE and Trend Micro full scans didn't pick it up, but then out of nowhere MSSE notified me of a virus so I removed it. Restarted the computer and its no more. I did however just get a BSOD though..hopefully unrelated. I refuse to format Windows 7, so much work to reinstall everything...

Rktk

Bit of an issue. Windows 7

10i9nk9.png

Those two programs at the end are last.fm and Spotify. For some reason their icons are not being displayed. Anyone know how to get them back without reinstalling?

Ashhong

Rktk said:
Bit of an issue. Windows 7

10i9nk9.png

Those two programs at the end are last.fm and Spotify. For some reason their icons are not being displayed. Anyone know how to get them back without reinstalling?

uhhh right click program, right click program name, properties, shortcut tab, change icon. should be able to browse to the EXE files which should show icon choices...

Rktk

Ashhong said:
uhhh right click program, right click program name, properties, shortcut tab, change icon. should be able to browse to the EXE files which should show icon choices...
Weird, I tried that but the lastFM.exe file gave the same result so I switched it to CrashReporter.exe which uses the same icon and that changed it. Can't do the same with Spotify as there is no other icon option that the spotify.exe. Oh well thanks anyway.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im in need of a little help, recently my pc has been running slow while multi-tasking. For instance, a common occurrence is for me to be playing tf2 windowed, web browser open while watching a stream on jtv, and up until recently this has all been great, no slow down on anything, worked perfect. However recently my desktop is running really slow if i even attempt to do anything but 1 thing, for instance, i can play tf2 but the stream wont work, web browsing is very slow and tf2 will start to chop. Also even opening windows or browsing for files takes an unusually long time. I know given the grander scheme of concerns this is pithy but im not getting the performance i shelled out a hell of alot for, and i cant seem to locate the issue. It is not an internet issue i should add, my ping is fine in online games and pages load, its the windows themselves.

Ive run several virus checks, all clean, spent a few hours cleaning up the pc the other night, still bad and i have defraged it twice, again to no avail.

Any suggestions guys?

Specs

HD4890 gfx
Phenom II p55
4 Gigs
Win7 64bit

Ashhong

Mr Cola said:
Im in need of a little help, recently my pc has been running slow while multi-tasking. For instance, a common occurrence is for me to be playing tf2 windowed, web browser open while watching a stream on jtv, and up until recently this has all been great, no slow down on anything, worked perfect. However recently my desktop is running really slow if i even attempt to do anything but 1 thing, for instance, i can play tf2 but the stream wont work, web browsing is very slow and tf2 will start to chop. Also even opening windows or browsing for files takes an unusually long time. I know given the grander scheme of concerns this is pithy but im not getting the performance i shelled out a hell of alot for, and i cant seem to locate the issue. It is not an internet issue i should add, my ping is fine in online games and pages load, its the windows themselves.

Ive run several virus checks, all clean, spent a few hours cleaning up the pc the other night, still bad and i have defraged it twice, again to no avail.

Any suggestions guys?

Specs

HD4890 gfx
Phenom II p55
4 Gigs
Win7 64bit

sounds like you shouldnt be having any issues given your specs and the fact that it was working fine. i have no maintenance tips, reformat?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i was considering it, but thats a last resort considering how much stuff ive got on here :(, i had a similar issue before with this build and a reformat works so i know there is a "fix", but id rather find the root of the issue

Ashhong

Mr Cola said:
i was considering it, but thats a last resort considering how much stuff ive got on here :(, i had a similar issue before with this build and a reformat works so i know there is a "fix", but id rather find the root of the issue

mmmm system restore to the point before it first started slowing down?

I turned on my monitor the other day, and out of nowhere the colors are all way too bright, saturated and weird looking. I have the same computer hooked up to a TV, and the colors are fine on the TV. So the computer isn't the problem, its the monitor. I put all the color and brightness settings back to default, and did a "factory reset", but none of that helped. Any idea what's going on, or how to fix it?

Ashhong said:
Tools -> Add-ons -> Uninstall
Shit, I apologize. It's plugins that I'm trying to delete. Specifically Java Deployment Toolkit. It says there is a security/stability issues with it.

It only gives me an option to disable/enable it. It's disabled atm.

eznark

Banned
Hey guys,

Woke up yesterday morning to a clicking hard drive. Obviously the thing was shot so I went and grabbed a 2 TB hard drive from Micro Center and reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit. I have had a 500gb external hard drive connected to various computers for a couple years and suddenly today it is no longer recognized. It was recognized last night after I had reinstalled Windows however it is no longer recognized this morning, When I got into Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to "Cypress AT2LP RC58. "

I found this solution for Windows XP, supposedly it works I have no idea, but I can't find a similar solution for Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It looks like this is more than a simple driver issue.

Ashhong

got2bekidding said:
Shit, I apologize. It's plugins that I'm trying to delete. Specifically Java Deployment Toolkit. It says there is a security/stability issues with it.

hm im getting the same warning but just ignoring it...is that the wrong thing to do :lol

Schrade

eznark said:
Hey guys,

Woke up yesterday morning to a clicking hard drive. Obviously the thing was shot so I went and grabbed a 2 TB hard drive from Micro Center and reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit. I have had a 500gb external hard drive connected to various computers for a couple years and suddenly today it is no longer recognized. It was recognized last night after I had reinstalled Windows however it is no longer recognized this morning, When I got into Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to "Cypress AT2LP RC58. "

I found this solution for Windows XP, supposedly it works I have no idea, but I can't find a similar solution for Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It looks like this is more than a simple driver issue.
Is it a USB hard drive?

You can safely "Uninstall" that entry in the device manager and then have the drive be redected.

If it's a USB external hard drive check a couple of things:

1) Is the USB cable plugged in all the way in the back of the drive and in the USB slot?

2) Try a different USB cable or different USB port

3) Make sure you hear the drive spin up when you power on the USB drive. Put your ear to it or something.

4) Try it on a different machine.

Schrade

got2bekidding said:

Just keep it disabled. It's installed by default when you install the Java Runtime Environment. Once disabled it won't bug you anymore. No need to physically remove it. Removing it would involve you messing with the registry.

I can give you that answer if you'd like but there's really no need.

Ashhong said:
hm im getting the same warning but just ignoring it...is that the wrong thing to do :lol
I wanted to do was nuke it. Only thing running through my head was omg I'm exposed! lol

Schrade said:
Just keep it disabled. It's installed by default when you install the Java Runtime Environment. Once disabled it won't bug you anymore. No need to physically remove it. Removing it would involve you messing with the registry.

I can give you that answer if you'd like but there's really no need.
No, I really don't want to dig around in the registry. I appreciate the offer and also the help. Thanks. :)

Hey guys, I actually made a thread about this but I remembered this thread existed too so I figure I'll post my problem here too.

You can see details of my main BSOD issue in my original thread, but the current question is if I decide to change to RAID On in my BIOS, despite the warning below, will I compromise my data?

RAID Autodetect/ATA is currently selected. So I select RAID On and it gives me this message:

SATA Operation is being changed!

Attention! Changing this setting may prevent your operating system from booting or require a reinstall. Are you sure you would like to continue?

eznark

Banned
So the issue seems to have been bigger than just the external drive:

So my C: drive burned out on Monday. Woke up and it was ticking and the PC would not restart. I took that drive out and reinstalled Windows on another drive. After a day the same exact thing happened.

I'm assuming this isn't a coincidental hard drive failure issue, could it be a power supply?

Two issues that arose at the same time; my universal power supply was making some funny noises (the PC is plugged into it) and an external hard drive was suddenly not readable by the PC.

Any ideas?

Sorry I can't really help you but wanted to know if you planned on salvaging the data on the first C: drive and how you planned on doing so.

Also, you mentioned that you replaced it with another drive (which I may need to do soon), but I've never even opened a computer before. Is this a simple thing to do? Should I just go get a new internal hard drive from Best Buy, open up my computer and replace it? Is it that easy or what?

eznark

Banned
I'm going to try and freeze the drives and copy the data until they fuck up, then freeze them and start over.

It's easy enough. Just install a new hard drive, boot from the Windows CD, and install to the hard drive.

I will give it a try. I'm sure there is an online tutorial somewhere.

By the way, I had been getting the black screen of death with just a mouse pointer, but I figured out how to get to command prompt, then I opened notepad.exe, went to file>open, and copied my data to an external hard drive. Data saved!

eznark

Banned
Nice.

FYI to anyone with a failed hard drive. Freezing it totally works! I double wrapped my drive last night, put it in the freezer, took it out this morning and it ran for about 30 minutes before it started clicking again. Plenty of time for me to retrieve what I needed.

Ashhong

i didnt get an answer in the OSX thread, so maybe its better here, or maybe i should make my own thread? iuno

i have an ipod video, 5th generation, and all of a sudden it wont go past the white apple loading screen. it was working fine up until today. i plugged it into my computer, computer recognized it and everything was ok. loaded itunes and suddenly itunes says it encountered a problem and needs to close. i keep reopening itunes but it just wont work. even tried reinstalling but for some reason itunes is completely broken. so i take out my ipod and since then i ahvent been able to load it.

is there a special way to reset it other than holding menu+select?

right now its been trying to turn on, and then sometimes goes to this menu that says "please wait, very low battery" and eventually goes back to the apple screen. i have it plugged into my computer, so all i'm doing IS waiting. computer not even recognizing it anymore...wtf happened?!

Top Bottom