• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
What's the best way of "upgrading" a jailbroken 3G (3.0) to 3.1.x without losing all the stuff I have on my iPhone (through Cydia or otherwise)? I suppose an unlock is possible somehow as well?

Ashhong

Vox-Pop said:
thank you, I have to get my pc out of the garage now.

I wanna lick your avatar.

that reminds me, i need to clean my screen >_>

hateradio said:
What's the best way of "upgrading" a jailbroken 3G (3.0) to 3.1.x without losing all the stuff I have on my iPhone (through Cydia or otherwise)? I suppose an unlock is possible somehow as well?

not sure if there is an unlock for the newest firmware, but i think there is. all apple apps, contacts, texts and stuff should be saved from iphone backups when you sync your phone. you can backup cydia apps by using this program by bigboss..unfortunately i dont remember the name. google bigboss cydia backup or something and you will probably find it. use that program, then backup in itunes again then u should be good to go

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
Yes

So Haz, ran memtest and no errors...although not sure if i tested all of it since i have 8gb worth. Now what? =( I'm really hoping its just my PSU...maybe I should just RMA both of them? I just dont want this to happen again
Burn memtest 86+ to a CD and run that. Test all 4 sticks at once for 20 minutes, then each stick for around 15.

If there is any TERRIBLE errors it should pop up fairly quickly.

I want to upgrade from Vista Business 32-bit to Win 7 Professional. I already have the upgrade disc for Win 7 Pro.

Some questions:

1. They say that installing Win 7 over Vista is a bad idea. How true is this?

2. Assuming it's true, I'd have to opt for a clean install (which I believe is possible even with just the Win 7 upgrade disc). Is going 64-bit worth it? I'm pretty sure I have the specs (dual core processor, 4 gb of ram).

3. The last time I did a clean install (for an XP machine I was giving away, I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP), I could not get back on the internet. I assume it was because I was missing the correct drivers? But I'm not sure. How can I avoid that problem and other misc. related issues if I do a clean install now to Win 7?

- In case this helps: I have a Sony VAIO FW290. All of my important files are already backed up.

Any other tips?

Thanks.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
Burn memtest 86+ to a CD and run that. Test all 4 sticks at once for 20 minutes, then each stick for around 15.

If there is any TERRIBLE errors it should pop up fairly quickly.

i avoided that program because it said 86 in it, can i assume that it will work on x64 Windows 7? will test it out and report back...

DaBargainHunta said:
I want to upgrade from Vista Business 32-bit to Win 7 Professional. I already have the upgrade disc for Win 7 Pro.

Some questions:

1. They say that installing Win 7 over Vista is a bad idea. How true is this?

2. Assuming it's true, I'd have to opt for a clean install (which I believe is possible even with just the Win 7 upgrade disc). Is going 64-bit worth it? I'm pretty sure I have the specs (dual core processor, 4 gb of ram).

3. The last time I did a clean install (for an XP machine I was giving away, I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP), I could not get back on the internet. I assume it was because I was missing the correct drivers? But I'm not sure. How can I avoid that problem and other misc. related issues if I do a clean install now to Win 7?

- In case this helps: I have a Sony VAIO FW290. All of my important files are already backed up.

Any other tips?

Thanks.

I've done upgrades before and they usually go off without a hitch but I still recommend fresh installations. I prefer the guarantee of a flawless installation.

64-bit is absolutely worth it if only for the way that the base OS performs.

Windows 7 is fantastic about installing critical drivers by default and filling in the gaps with generic drivers until you can get online and do an update. If you're worried, you can download any number of driver disks from torrent sites but it typically isn't necessary. I've done a few dozen Windows 7 installations now and I've yet to see one where it didn't at least give me video, sound, and wired networking.

If you do go through with the reinstallation, this will save you a lot of time:

http://www.ninite.com

Joe

I have my friends laptop with me which is infected with at least 1 virus. It definitely has the virus that pretends to be a Virus Scanner.

I made a bootable Ubuntu thumbdrive, and used Clam Virus Scanner on it and after a lengthy scan it found no viruses.

Is there another Virus Scanner on Ubuntu I should try?

WickedAngel said:
I've done a few dozen Windows 7 installations now and I've yet to see one where it didn't at least give me video, sound, and wired networking.
Thank you for your help. It is MUCH appreciated.

Forgive the newbie question, but I have a wireless connection. Will a fresh install of 7 automatically recognize it, or will I have to do some fancy footwork to get that running again?

DaBargainHunta said:

Forgive the newbie question, but I have a wireless connection. Will a fresh install of 7 automatically recognize it, or will I have to do some fancy footwork to get that running again?

That's kind of a tossup...I've had mixed success with automatic recognition of wireless drivers. Windows 7 provides generic wireless drivers more often than not but there have been a couple of times where it hasn't (Typically on older computers).

dorkimoe

DaBargainHunta said:

you should be ok, make sure you do all the windows updates though. And you may need to manually download the network drivers, as for some reason windows 7 thinks that 2007 is the newest driver for my brand new computer ;(

Feel free to pm me if you need help with setting up the network :)

DaBargainHunta said:

Every time I've installed 7, it's come with the correct drivers already installed.

If for some reason it doesn't, though, run CPU-Z, get your motherboard model, then download the correct driver for it.

It appears I need some help with my connection this time.

I moved my gaming rig to another room and am trying to hook it up to the internet over a wired connection.

Using CPU-Z, I found the motherboard model and downloaded the newest version of the LAN drivers directly from the Intel site.
Apparently my computer doesn't recognize this driver or something, because I can't get a connection.
I open the network connections window and it says it's connected, but double-clicking the icon shows that packets are being sent, but none are being received.

Thinking it was a problem with the driver, I even downgraded to an older version, then upgraded again when that one didn't work, and still nothing.

It's definitely not a problem with the router or ethernet cord, as switching the cable to another computer works just fine.

I'm running XP Pro SP3.
My motherboard model is an Intel D975XBX2.

Can you help me get my rig online, GAF?

edit- If it'll help, the place where i'm getting my drivers from is here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...Windows+XP+Professional*&DownloadType=Drivers

Is the LAN driver not correct?

Okay, I went from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit (see a few posts above). In order to go from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, I obviously had to do a clean install, right?

I picked the correct option for that on the disc (NOT upgrade, the other one), and I was presented with two directories: an OEM partition for Vista, and Vista itself. I selected the Vista directory and assumed it was a clean install.

Yet, for some reason, it saved all of my old files and folders. I now have slightly less hard drive space though.

So what the hell did I do wrong? Or did I do anything wrong? If I did something wrong, how can I fix it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Try 'uninstalling' the network driver (r-click computer, manage, device manager) then refreshing the device list and have it auto install. See if that works.

DaBargainHunta said:
Okay, I went from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit (see a few posts above). In order to go from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, I obviously had to do a clean install, right?

I picked the correct option for that on the disc (NOT upgrade, the other one), and I was presented with two directories: an OEM partition for Vista, and Vista itself. I selected the Vista directory and assumed it was a clean install.

Yet, for some reason, it saved all of my old files and folders. I now have slightly less hard drive space though.

So what the hell did I do wrong? Or did I do anything wrong? If I did something wrong, how can I fix it?

There is a time during the installation where you can click "Advanced" and opt to format the partition you're installing to first. I'm not 100% certain but I think Windows just decides to hold certain files if it sees that you're installing over a partition with an old installation on it.

WickedAngel said:
There is a time during the installation where you can click "Advanced" and opt to format the partition you're installing to first. I'm not 100% certain but I think Windows just decides to hold certain files if it sees that you're installing over a partition with an old installation on it.
I didn't see/do that, so does that mean this wasn't a clean install after all?

But how is that possible if you can't install a 64-bit OS over an old 32-bit OS? (Or am I wrong there?)

Would you recommend I redo the install or just leave well enough alone?

DaBargainHunta said:
I didn't see/do that, so does that mean this wasn't a clean install after all?

But how is that possible if you can't install a 64-bit OS over an old 32-bit OS? (Or am I wrong there?)

Would you recommend I redo the install or just leave well enough alone?

I'm not precisely sure how the 32-bit/64-bit path intermingles. If it was a clean install, you would know immediately; nothing would remain except for the new stuff.

I would play around with it and see how everything is working. It's probably fine.

The wireless from my laptop has disappeared! By that I mean when I go to the internet connections control panel, the wireless icon isn't there. Also, it's not there in the device manager either. It's winxp. I didn't install anything recently. I really only use firefox and word on it.

akachan ningen said:
The wireless from my laptop has disappeared! By that I mean when I go to the internet connections control panel, the wireless icon isn't there. Also, it's not there in the device manager either. It's winxp. I didn't install anything recently. I really only use firefox and word on it.

Is it an HP dv2000/6000/9000?

SmokyDave

akachan ningen said:
no it's an acer aspire one.
Has it got a toggle switch on the outside anywhere to turn the wireless off?

If so, have you toggled it?

Is the wireless icon in the system tray?

Is anything in the system tray?

SmokyDave said:
Has it got a toggle switch on the outside anywhere to turn the wireless off?

If so, have you toggled it?

Is the wireless icon in the system tray?

Is anything in the system tray?

It does have a switch. I tried doing it fast, holding it, every which way.

nothing in the system tray.

SmokyDave

akachan ningen said:
It does have a switch. I tried doing it fast, holding it, every which way.

nothing in the system tray.
Not sure where I was going with systray as you've already said that the icon is missing in Control Panel. Bugger.

Some Acer laptops have a power saving mode for their wireless. I can't find one lying about but I believe you go into Device Manager -> Network Adapter -> Highlight the Wireless Card. Then right click, choose properties, then advanced and then untick any power saving options.

This might not work (or even be applicable!) but I guess it's a start.

Hazaro said:
Try 'uninstalling' the network driver (r-click computer, manage, device manager) then refreshing the device list and have it auto install. See if that works.
I tried that. Nothing worked.

If it matters, the two green LEDs on the back of the computer are lighting up and blinking and there appears to be normal activity, but I'm not getting anything coming in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I see some google results of people having driver issues. Have you tried a windows System Restore to a few days?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So the stupid questions that dont deserve threads thread wont answer me, so perhaps here will

Itunes store, never used it, but browsing through their film/tv shows section it sounds rather awesome, i have good money coming in and id much prefer mp4's to dvds as it suits my lifestyle to a tee. However ive never used the service before, so before i go darting off spending a few weeks paychecks ive a few questions.

Firstly, generally what is the quality of the movies/tv shows, whats the compression like? Is there a really noticeable difference between what you see on tv or on a dvd, im fine with some difference and lesser quality BUT i dont want badly compressed crap which is a poor substitute.

Secondly, i realise it is mp4, like apple a specialized apple codec. How convertible are these files? I have a really good convert software but im warey as to how whether apple have put any safeguards in place to prevent it from happening.

Thirdly, generally is there anything i should know before i start?

Cheers

Its kind of a tech question

SmokyDave said:
Not sure where I was going with systray as you've already said that the icon is missing in Control Panel. Bugger.

Some Acer laptops have a power saving mode for their wireless. I can't find one lying about but I believe you go into Device Manager -> Network Adapter -> Highlight the Wireless Card. Then right click, choose properties, then advanced and then untick any power saving options.

This might not work (or even be applicable!) but I guess it's a start.

there's no entry for it under network adapters though. the only one in the device manager is the ethernet one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't used it much, but I generally remember iTunes video compression to be of perfectly acceptable to quite good quality.

Ettie

My HDD sounds awful when tasked with any HDD-heavy tasks. Rather than looking like this in HD Tune -> http://www.anandtech.com/show/2269/4

It looks like this:

HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD501LJ.png

Health checks come up fine, and I don't really notice any hitching, just slow load times on games like LOTRO and Dragon Age.

Help and opinions appreciated.

3rdman

I'm in need of some help...

I recently built a HTPC using the MSI Diva Live board (with built in 5 way amp) for use in my bedroom. The main reason I wanted this board was because my HDTV in my bedroom is an older component-only widescreen tube and this motherboard has that for an output along with HDMI and VGA...it uses the ATI HD 3200 integrated chip and by all accounts, its more than enough to handle W7, Blu Ray, and even some light gaming.

Everything is running perfect but every time I try running at 1080i, I hear popping sounds from the amp card and video stutters. The catalyst drivers are outputting 1080i at all times but internally it is rendering everything at 1280 x 786....anything higher and it performs poorly. I'm running Cat 8.5 (anything newer and it breaks the component output on the motherboard)...As far as I can see, my CPU is never hitting 100% so I think the problem is with the video driver/bios/configuration.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to check that my 4 gigs of memory is configured properly and recheck the codecs but I was hoping someone might have come across this problem. Thanks...and sorry for the wall of words...

3rdman

Ettenra said:
My HDD sounds awful when tasked with any HDD-heavy tasks. Rather than looking like this in HD Tune -> http://www.anandtech.com/show/2269/4

It looks like this:

HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD501LJ.png

Health checks come up fine, and I don't really notice any hitching, just slow load times on games like LOTRO and Dragon Age.

Help and opinions appreciated.
Stupid response probably but did you run a defrag? Is it heavily fragmented? Also (and I could be really wrong) but I would check your power supply...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guess it was a matter of time before I had to post in here...

So every game, any game, is now stuttering for a fraction of a second, every 3-4 seconds, without fail, like clockwork. Just graphics- not sound. It will just like pause for a blip before going back to normal. Framerates are otherwise as glorious as ever. I can't think of any hardware or software I've added recently that could be causing this, and my google-fu hasn't found any concrete answers. It's really annoying, it's almost like having an unscratchable itch any time I want to play a game. This just started yesterday sometime... no change in drivers, really anything at all. Anybody have any ideas? Suggest anything that comes to mind for a potential eternal debt of thanks. :(

3dmodeler

Can anyone can tell me what could be wrong with my computer if it sounds like a jet taking off. It happens sporadically, doesn't matter what programs I use, it could be idle and sometimes the jet engine noise will blast off. I have a feeling it might be the power source but I need some confirmation before I decide to get a new one.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hawkian said:

So every game, any game, is now stuttering for a fraction of a second, every 3-4 seconds, without fail, like clockwork. Just graphics- not sound. It will just like pause for a blip before going back to normal. Framerates are otherwise as glorious as ever. I can't think of any hardware or software I've added recently that could be causing this, and my google-fu hasn't found any concrete answers. It's really annoying, it's almost like having an unscratchable itch any time I want to play a game. This just started yesterday sometime... no change in drivers, really anything at all. Anybody have any ideas? Suggest anything that comes to mind for a potential eternal debt of thanks. :(

What OS are you using? I notice this happening to me in mirrors edge and bioshock in Win7 but not in WinXP, so I copied my saves over and played in dual boot. Not an optimal solution, but I am still curious.

3dmodeler said:
Can anyone can tell me what could be wrong with my computer if it sounds like a jet taking off. It happens sporadically, doesn't matter what programs I use, it could be idle and sometimes the jet engine noise will blast off. I have a feeling it might be the power source but I need some confirmation before I decide to get a new one.

That noise is a fan and something is probably overheating or threatening to overheat. Can you get any temperature readings off your GPU and/or CPU?

3dmodeler

bistromathics said:
That noise is a fan and something is probably overheating or threatening to overheat. Can you get any temperature readings off your GPU and/or CPU?

My GPU has 74C. Normal? or what?

Ashhong

3dmodeler said:
My GPU has 74C. Normal? or what?

not unless you are under like a constant 100% load or something. only my macbook gets that hot. my desktop is between 30-40...pretty sure 74 is way too high

Barrett2

Ok, i need help.

I have an Asus netbook, 9 months old. Beginning one week ago, it randomly disconnects me from the Internet, even though the signal is still showing a connection. It won't let me manually disconnect from the network and re-connect, the only way to get back online is to reboot my netbook. But, when i try to reboot, it freezes while on the Windows shutdown screen, and i have to do a hard reboot. It is doing this on both my work and home network.

Any ideas?

Hawkian said:

Some more information would be nice.

What OS are you using?
Speed of HDD (7200 or 5400 RPM)
Amount of RAM.
GPU
Age of computer.

It could honestly be your MB going out.

Ok, i need help.

I have an Asus netbook, 9 months old. Beginning one week ago, it randomly disconnects me from the Internet, even though the signal is still showing a connection. It won't let me manually disconnect from the network and re-connect, the only way to get back online is to reboot my netbook. But, when i try to reboot, it freezes while on the Windows shutdown screen, and i have to do a hard reboot. It is doing this on both my work and home network.

Any ideas?

Are you using latest wireless driver for your card?

lawblob said:
Ok, i need help.

Any ideas?
Drivers?

Edit: beaten.

lawblob said:
I really have no idea. How would i check that?

Go to ASUS website

Service tab> support

download

select your netbook

once you get to page with stuff, select wireless

download latest wireless lan driver

install

????

profit.

Zenith

Banned
GAF, out of the blue my computer started slowing down and freezing today. To the point that when I start it even clicking the start menu will make it chug. It's 3Ghz dual core athlon with nvidia 8800. Runs latest game fast and now it can barely make it into safe mode.

Task manager shows CPU use oscillating between 25-75% before hitting zero when I try and start something. Normally runs at 10%. No strange processes with high CPU use. 2 gigs of RAm in use, 2 gigs still available. It has been running a bit hot lately but I've seen over heating before and that's a much more gradual process.

hardware failure maybe?

Zenith said:
GAF, out of the blue my computer started slowing down and freezing today. To the point that when I start it even clicking the start menu will make it chug. It's 3Ghz dual core athlon with nvidia 8800. Runs latest game fast and now it can barely make it into safe mode.

Task manager shows CPU use oscillating between 25-75% before hitting zero when I try and start something. Normally runs at 10%. No strange processes with high CPU use. 2 gigs of RAm in use, 2 gigs still available. It has been running a bit hot lately but I've seen over heating before and that's a much more gradual process.

hardware failure maybe?

did u u overclock? Since your got no strange background processes, but still i would run HijackThis

Zenith

Banned
it's about .2 ghz above factory settings but it's been running fine since I got it a year ago.

like I said, it was very sudden in the way it went from running arma 2 at 30fps to crashing when you highlight an icon in the space of a few seconds.

Zenith

Banned
ok, new info. I managed to get into safe mode and ran a temperature monitor. Showed 90 degrees across the board, but all my fans were turning (and there are a lot). It shouldn't be able to get that hot.

So big question is: is my CPU screwing up because of the temperature, or is the temperature skyrocketing because something is sending my CPU into overdrive?

if you can run arma 2 then it crashes might be a registry error. If you can't run a program for more then 5 min since startup then the computer freezes I want to say hardware failure but it still sounding like a registry error to me

cheak ur bios CPU temp if it getting hotter than usual then it's hardware def.

If my computer keeps turning off and going to a blue screen (win7) does that mean my power supply is going bad or possibly my video card? also i cant remember what it says exactly and Im at work so I cant check but I was just seeing if this makes sense to anyone..sorry for the lack of info

Top Bottom