• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

If you have another pc you can try the hard drive in it just too see if it gives you the same issue, but other than that I think your better of returning/exchanging the drive if possible.

I'm gonna get my Step dad to look at it later (engineer), but yh I'll probably send it back. This is probably irrelevant, but now when I have the power cable connected with no sata, the on light flashes

oneran

Actually no, are there any downsides to these, because that seems like a far easier solution :p

There are some potential downsides such as slow speeds or dropped connections, this is normally based upon your electrical wiring so you may or may not have issues. And seeing as your in an apartment you want to ensure they come with some sort of encryption/security features so nobody in the building can eavesdrop/piggyback on your connection.

My advice is normally buy the initial set from a store with a generous return policy, just in case you have issues.

EDIT: Also they typically need to be plugged directly into the outlet, so you cannot plug them into surge protectors as they would filter out the signal.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There are some potential downsides such as slow speeds or dropped connections, this is normally based upon your electrical wiring so you may or may not have issues. And seeing as your in an apartment you want to ensure they come with some sort of encryption/security features so nobody in the building can eavesdrop/piggyback on your connection.

My advice is normally buy the initial set from a store with a generous return policy, just in case you have issues.

EDIT: Also they typically need to be plugged directly into the outlet, so you cannot plug them into surge protectors as they would filter out the signal.

ah, ok. Well, hmm. I'll see then. The whole point is having a stable connection, because there's a chance I'll be hosting MP games for 10-15 people. I basically only need to drill one little hole to do it the "proper" way. hmm hmm hmm.

If the installer is telling your code is invalid there is most likely something wrong with the the product code given to you. Are you using copy/paste to insert the code or typing it in manually? (If there is no option for paste try ctrl-v to paste your product code in just to eliminate any errors like replacing 0's with zero's or vice versa)

The only other thing I can think of/recommend is creating specific firewall rules allowing the installer through, to ensure it can check the code if it needs a network connection to activate.

Alright, that's what I assumed. Thank you. I have tried both copy pasting and inputting the code manually. I turned my virus protection off when installing the product (avast) and didn't get any messages, so I assume that's not causing an issue.

Let's see if they are willing to give me a new code ...

Edit: I suggested that maybe it had to do with it being listed as 1.0 on their product page whereas the download was for 1.2. They told me it was "likely" the case. So they send me an iso for 1.0, I download that, and the same thing happens.

Guys, any help for this one.

I am trying to edit search options in gpedit (which I had to manually install) but there is no search listing to be found.

What gives?

oneran

Guys, any help for this one.

I am trying to edit search options in gpedit (which I had to manually install) but there is no search listing to be found.

What gives?

Are you sure its not under Administrative Templates> Windows Components > Search?
(Ensure any filters are off)

How exactly did you manually install it and have you tried adding the group-policy object editor snap-in through mmc?

Are you sure its not under Administrative Templates> Windows Components > Search?
(Ensure any filters are off)

How exactly did you manually install it and have you tried adding the group-policy object editor snap-in through mmc?

http://www.rushinformation.com/windows-find-gpedit-msc-error-windows-78-fixed/

I followed that and now in gpedit, I get as far as where Search should be, and it isn't.

I also have no idea what the other stuff you said is, so I'm having a look.

EDIT: I tried it out and couldn't figure it out. I just don't get why the search option isn't in. All I want to do is disable internet search from the Windows search bar.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Alright what the fuck.

What happened this afternoon: I was working in Blender (3D modeling software) and UE4, when suddenly my screen went black. No biggie, I though, I've had the video drivers crash before, it happens. Problem is that the screen doesn't reappear anymore. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't open anything, PC seems unresponsive, so I hard reboot. PC gets to the windows boot and it applies some updates (I didn't notice I had any), it takes a while so I start doing other thing, then I notice an error message, but before I can read it the PC reboots, and everything seems to be working fine.

Now (30 minutes ago), I launch UE4 again, driver crashes, and restarts fine. I launch UE4 again. Crash, restarts. Launch it again, crash and restart. Ok, I get it. I start downloading the latest drivers. Just because I launch UE4 again, as expected the driver crashed, but then this happened:

wp_20150311_01_07_50_7vuru.jpg

Panic. Is my GPU dying on me? The PC was working fine, it was responsive, the download ended and I updated the video drivers, now everything is back to normal.

Now, I know that all signs point to the GPU dying, but maybe somebody might have a differenct explanation? Maybe the driver got corrupted and the update fixed it? I tried launching UE4 again and it crashed once, the second time it worked fine (for about 5 minutes, I just ran it a bit, it usually crashes after a few seconds).

Temps were fine (45°C top). I'll try some games tomorrow too.

oneran

http://www.rushinformation.com/windows-find-gpedit-msc-error-windows-78-fixed/

I followed that and now in gpedit, I get as far as where Search should be, and it isn't.

I also have no idea what the other stuff you said is, so I'm having a look.

EDIT: I tried it out and couldn't figure it out. I just don't get why the search option isn't in. All I want to do is disable internet search from the Windows search bar.

Your using a third party tool to gain access to gpedit (assuming your using a non-pro version of win 8) so it's going to be wonky. Have you just tried turning off bing search? Pc settings > Search & Apps > Use bing search (off)

Alright what the fuck.

What happened this afternoon: I was working in Blender (3D modeling software) and UE4, when suddenly my screen went black. No biggie, I though, I've had the video drivers crash before, it happens. Problem is that the screen doesn't reappear anymore. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't open anything, PC seems unresponsive, so I hard reboot. PC gets to the windows boot and it applies some updates (I didn't notice I had any), it takes a while so I start doing other thing, then I notice an error message, but before I can read it the PC reboots, and everything seems to be working fine.

Now (30 minutes ago), I launch UE4 again, driver crashes, and restarts fine. I launch UE4 again. Crash, restarts. Launch it again, crash and restart. Ok, I get it. I start downloading the latest drivers. Just because I launch UE4 again, as expected the driver crashed, but then this happened:

Panic. Is my GPU dying on me? The PC was working fine, it was responsive, the download ended and I updated the video drivers, now everything is back to normal.

Now, I know that all signs point to the GPU dying, but maybe somebody might have a differenct explanation? Maybe the driver got corrupted and the update fixed it? I tried launching UE4 again and it crashed once, the second time it worked fine (for about 5 minutes, I just ran it a bit, it usually crashes after a few seconds).

Temps were fine (45°C top). I'll try some games tomorrow too.

Well the updates were to fix critical ssl implementation vulnerabilities among other issues, they were released earlier today.

When you see gpu artifacting it's typically not a good sign, I know the unreal editor has never been a bastion of stability so hopefully your right about the driver getting corrupted when it reset. The only other explanation I can think of is that your psu maybe having issues, anyway hope for best and plan for the worst!

Mike M

Nick N
I have a JavaScript/PHP question that exceeds my meager capabilities (which were not much to begin with.).

Would anyone in this thread be able to lend an assist, or is it more for hardware issues?

It started a few weeks ago, I'm running Avira AntiVir and suddenly it started going completely nuts when I try to download something. As soon as it has finished downloading it tells me that the file might be infected and automatically deletes it and I don't know how to turn that off or override it.

And all that would be kind of fine if those were actually sketchy files, but I wasn't able to download the vlc player from the official website or gamersyde videos. It's really annoying.

Can someone give me any advice?

oneran

It started a few weeks ago, I'm running Avira AntiVir and suddenly it started going completely nuts when I try to download something. As soon as it has finished downloading it tells me that the file might be infected and automatically deletes it and I don't know how to turn that off or override it.

And all that would be kind of fine if those were actually sketchy files, but I wasn't able to download the vlc player from the official website or gamersyde videos. It's really annoying.

Can someone give me any advice?

I've never used avira, but are you sure it's deleting the files and not quarantining them?

You should probably find out why it was quarantined and look it up (there should be a avira Virus Lab website) before restoring it.

TechSupportGAF, I'm completely stumped.

I had an issue before that was solved with a bios reset (See Post 7331). My issue now is much more annoying. Recently my 13 month old nephew discovered his love for pushing buttons with lights and played with this PCs power button. That combined with a power fluctuation (lights flickering to the point of causing PC to restart) has brought a new issue to this desktop.

When I try to boot my computer, some times it just hangs and there's no POST beep or anything. No video, just the power on light. I do a hard reset (some times turning off the PSU) and eventually I can get the PC to POST.

How ever when I enter Windows, there's only a matter of time before the computer freezes (video on screen, cannot move cursor or detect keyboard input).

I replaced the HDD already with a Crucial SSD so I know its not a drive issue, and memtest had 3 successful passes.

Computer runs fine on safe mode and with networking. I tried a format and while it buys me time, eventually a freeze returns. I tried Windows restore but it doesn't solve the issue. I tried refusing Windows Updates and still get the freeze. Tried newer updates for display drivers and it still freezes. Could the fact that safe mode runs fine prove that its a software issue? Is there a way to determine if its a PSU or mobo issue?

I am hoping its not a Mobo issue as a replacement is rather expensive for LGA775 and I might as well get a new mobo/cpu/psu combo and complete the build. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, Intel E5200 on a pre built acer aspire.

Chuy

So lovely little issue i've been having with my HP Stream 7 for about 2 weeks now: The tablet is now either failing to recognize that the SD card is inserted or recognizes it for about 10 minutes before promptly disconnecting which has recently started causing the tablet to freeze. This wasn't a issue when i first got it out of the box as it worked fine until recently but i've neither installed anything major other than a few apps on it or let the tablet take any sort of damage.

Any suggestions?

I've never used avira, but are you sure it's deleting the files and not quarantining them?

You should probably find out why it was quarantined and look it up (there should be a avira Virus Lab website) before restoring it.

Quarantining them is what it used to do, but not anymore. I used to get a popup, now it's just a message in the download list instead of just Download Finished.

Anyone ever run into this problem? I've randomly had hard drive space disappear from my main drive off and on over the past few years. It'll fluctuate by up to 6GB at a time, and over the years, the missing space just sort of gets bigger. I don't think it's a virus, because my computer is all up to date, and I'm running Avast. I don't think it's a problem with the actual hardware, since I don't get any disc errors. I've been racking my brain trying to find where that space is going, and I found it. Sort of. I ran WinDirStat, and this is what it came up with.

unknownq2uee.png

A whopping 50GB of data just... Unknown. Any way to figure out just what this data is, or better yet, how to delete it?

Is it just Windows telling me it's time to reformat, or is there something I can do about this?

So today my Lenovo Z580 (running windows 8.1) started giving me errors about side-by-side compatability and now I cannot open chrome, word, or anything else. Does anyone know how to fix this?

oneran

Anyone ever run into this problem? I've randomly had hard drive space disappear from my main drive off and on over the past few years. It'll fluctuate by up to 6GB at a time, and over the years, the missing space just sort of gets bigger. I don't think it's a virus, because my computer is all up to date, and I'm running Avast. I don't think it's a problem with the actual hardware, since I don't get any disc errors. I've been racking my brain trying to find where that space is going, and I found it. Sort of. I ran WinDirStat, and this is what it came up with.

A whopping 50GB of data just... Unknown. Any way to figure out just what this data is, or better yet, how to delete it?

Is it just Windows telling me it's time to reformat, or is there something I can do about this?

Have you checked your system protection settings?

System properties > System protection > Select your drive and click configure > Look for your current usage (I assume this is where that 50gig is going)

Avast NG will manually set it to 50% of your hard drive space and you can't change the percentage permanently. The only thing you can really do about it is manually delete the data from system protection settings whenever you need space or remove the avast NG component from your installation of avast.

Programs and features > select avast > right click >change> uncheck avast ng

So lovely little issue i've been having with my HP Stream 7 for about 2 weeks now: The tablet is now either failing to recognize that the SD card is inserted or recognizes it for about 10 minutes before promptly disconnecting which has recently started causing the tablet to freeze. This wasn't a issue when i first got it out of the box as it worked fine until recently but i've neither installed anything major other than a few apps on it or let the tablet take any sort of damage.

Any suggestions?

Normally when I see this the SD card is typically dying, if you have another sd you can try using that and see if you have the same issues in case it's the reader itself. You can also try reformatting the card (make sure to backup your data first).

So today my Lenovo Z580 (running windows 8.1) started giving me errors about side-by-side compatability and now I cannot open chrome, word, or anything else. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Can you give anymore specific information about the error?

Try manually running windows update if you see any Microsoft visual c++ or .NET framework updates under important or optional updates, install them. You can also try running a system file check open an elevated command prompt (right click the windows button on the task bar and select Command prompt (admin)) and type sfc /scannow.

Have you checked your system protection settings?

System properties > System protection > Select your drive and click configure > Look for your current usage (I assume this is where that 50gig is going)

Avast NG will manually set it to 50% of your hard drive space and you can't change the percentage permanently. The only thing you can really do about it is manually delete the data from system protection settings whenever you need space or remove the avast NG component from your installation of avast.

Programs and features > select avast > right click >change> uncheck avast ng

Well I'll be damned! Thank you SO much! Was really expecting a couple different theories on what it could be before finally getting it right, but you got it on the first go!

oneran

Well I'll be damned! Thank you SO much! Was really expecting a couple different theories on what it could be before finally getting it right, but you got it on the first go!

No problem, had the problem myself on my 32 gig windows tablet.

Edit: I forgot to mention if your manually deleting from the system protection dialog box ensure you create a manual system restore point afterwards, because it deletes all shadow copy data.

TechSupportGAF, I'm completely stumped.

I had an issue before that was solved with a bios reset (See Post 7331). My issue now is much more annoying. Recently my 13 month old nephew discovered his love for pushing buttons with lights and played with this PCs power button. That combined with a power fluctuation (lights flickering to the point of causing PC to restart) has brought a new issue to this desktop.

When I try to boot my computer, some times it just hangs and there's no POST beep or anything. No video, just the power on light. I do a hard reset (some times turning off the PSU) and eventually I can get the PC to POST.

How ever when I enter Windows, there's only a matter of time before the computer freezes (video on screen, cannot move cursor or detect keyboard input).

I replaced the HDD already with a Crucial SSD so I know its not a drive issue, and memtest had 3 successful passes.

Computer runs fine on safe mode and with networking. I tried a format and while it buys me time, eventually a freeze returns. I tried Windows restore but it doesn't solve the issue. I tried refusing Windows Updates and still get the freeze. Tried newer updates for display drivers and it still freezes. Could the fact that safe mode runs fine prove that its a software issue? Is there a way to determine if its a PSU or mobo issue?

I am hoping its not a Mobo issue as a replacement is rather expensive for LGA775 and I might as well get a new mobo/cpu/psu combo and complete the build. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, Intel E5200 on a pre built acer aspire.

If your having this many problems at boot its most likely a hardware issue (my guess would be your motherboard), here are some things can try:

PSU:
You can check your power voltages on your motherboard. There should be a power screen (pc health/system status/system monitoring) in your bios containing the 3.3,5,& 12V rails they should all be with 10-15% of their rated values. However even if they are correct there could be other issues which is why it’s normally best to just switch it out.

Motherboard:
You can try setting your bios back to it defaults or manually clearing the cmos via the jumper on the board (not sure if this is what you did before). If you can find the motherboards make and model you can check to see if there are any bios updates available for it and re-flash it (there is some risk in doing this)

Megasoum

Banned
So something weird started happening recently...

When I get near my PC and sit on my chair I will hear the sound that Windows makes when you insert a new peripheral (for example the chime you get when you plug in a USB Key)...

From what I can see my PC is working fine and haven't had any issues...

Is there somewhere I could go on the Pc to see a log of everything that was installed and uninstalled to see what happened?

I looked at the Event Viewer but couldn't find anything about that.

At first I thought it was my new Dolphin Bar but I unplugged it and it still does it.

OK, so this happened only once before, but resetting the system a few times got me past it.

So I can't get my system to get past the initial splash screen, right before you press a button and the screen rises and you get to the login screen. The computer freezes, and the keyboard and mouse don't work. I don't think it's just a case of them not working, cause I tried them in multiple ports to the same effect, and they work in the bios just fine. I mean the computer freezes entirely. After a few minutes (no more than five) my system turns off entirely.

I don't have a recovery disc (I downloaded Win 8.1), and instead of offering me a system restore point, it offers me a system image I made in October of last year. I do not want to reset my system and lose everything on my C drive.

I have an ASUS Transformer Book T100, but it's running the preview of Windows 10. Any help would be appreciated.

I should add some things to clarify.

My Asus Transformer Book T100 is not the computer with the issue, my homemade desktop build is. It was updating with Windows Update, and every single time it resets it seems to want to update as well. I have the feeling that has something to do with it, but I have no idea how to fix this.

Can you give anymore specific information about the error?

Try manually running windows update if you see any Microsoft visual c++ or .NET framework updates under important or optional updates, install them. You can also try running a system file check open an elevated command prompt (right click the windows button on the task bar and select Command prompt (admin)) and type sfc /scannow.

Ok I tried updating windows and did end up installing some files with .net in them but that didn't fix it, niether did the scan and repair. I am seeing forums recommending deleting and reinstalling the c++ files, but I can't open a web browser, so I'm heisitant to try this for fear of not being able to download the files and being deeper in the hole.

The error it's giving says
C:program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe

Edit: there are back slashes between some of those words but they aren't showing up in the post.

oneran

I should add some things to clarify.

My Asus Transformer Book T100 is not the computer with the issue, my homemade desktop build is. It was updating with Windows Update, and every single time it resets it seems to want to update as well. I have the feeling that has something to do with it, but I have no idea how to fix this.

Have you tried booting up into safe mode? if you can you may want to try a clean boot and see if that fixes the issue. You can also try running a check disk and system file scanner by entering chkdsk /f let it complete then run sfc /scannow into an administartive command prompt.

Ok I tried updating windows and did end up installing some files with .net in them but that didn't fix it, niether did the scan and repair. I am seeing forums recommending deleting and reinstalling the c++ files, but I can't open a web browser, so I'm heisitant to try this for fear of not being able to download the files and being deeper in the hole.

The error it's giving says
C:program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe

Edit: there are back slashes between some of those words but they aren't showing up in the post.

If the scan found something and made repairs you may want to run it again just to ensure there are no more integrity violations, you may also want to try running a chkdsk /f.

But your most likely going to have to reinstall the c++ redistributables and see if it makes a difference, if your lucky windows update will see they're missing and try to do it for you. If you have another pc/device you can just download it (form Microsoft) and transfer it over.

Quarantining them is what it used to do, but not anymore. I used to get a popup, now it's just a message in the download list instead of just Download Finished.

Sorry I missed your post, try opening avira go to extras> configuration > select default values on the bottom of the windows and click apply, see if that stops avira from being overly sensitive.

(Also have you run a system scan recently, just to ensure nothing is hijacking the downloader)

TronLight

Well the updates were to fix critical ssl implementation vulnerabilities among other issues, they were released earlier today.

When you see gpu artifacting it's typically not a good sign, I know the unreal editor has never been a bastion of stability so hopefully your right about the driver getting corrupted when it reset. The only other explanation I can think of is that your psu maybe having issues, anyway hope for best and plan for the worst!

Yeah, so, this happened:

Basically this afternoon my PC locked up, had to reboot. Then, half an hour ago I launched Crysis 3 just to check, and it crashed during the intro video (which is a playback, it wasn't even working that hard).

Now, what happens: I see the bios post, Windows 8.1's the spinning loading dots, and after I see that. But, sometimes I see the "Windows wasn't closed properly...", and I can choose to ignore or repair windows. If I ignore I get that error, if I choose repair (with the installation DVD), the PC reboots and I get that.

Could that mean that the GPU is still ok, but windows it's corrupted and I just need to reformat?

Hoping for the best, bracing for the worst, really. :lol

Have you tried booting up into safe mode? if you can you may want to try a clean boot and see if that fixes the issue. You can also try running a check disk and system file scanner by entering chkdsk /f let it complete then run sfc /scannow into an administartive command prompt.
Yeah, I tried getting into safe mode. But it doesn't load for some reason.

This is really confusing and had got me very perplexed. Safe mode doesn't load, there are no restore points for some reason, and now my keyboard doesn't work on the initial boot screen, so I can't get to the bios either. Basically, the computer starts to load like normal, then the screen turns hey and: "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer" pops on the screen. After that, the splash screen piped up with the date and time, and you're normally able to press the keyboard or most to make it go away and log in. Well, at this point the computer freezes. It's not simply that the keyboard and mouse stop working, because for a second they do, until the mouse cursor stops and the screen freezes.

After two or three rounds of this, Windows goes into the recovery mode and asks if I want advanced repair options. I go into troubleshooting, and advanced options from there. Startup repair said it can't repair my PC. And every time I chose startup settings, so that I can go into safe mode, once I restart the screen offers nine options, plus a few more. But my keyboard doesn't work on this screen anymore! At first it did, and I would select safe mode here, but it wouldn't load like it should.

FAKE EDIT: AND NOW IT LOADED!!! I genuinely have no idea what happened to let it work now. And I have no idea how to prevent it from happening again.

wilflare

nVidia GPU users...

why does Geforce Experience say
8.00GB RAM (7.92GB usable) for my PC RAM
and...

how do I check my GPU temp - I know AMD has a built-in monitor but can't seem to find this on nVidia?

Does anyone know what would cause audio distortions ranging from game music to youtube videos? I noticed weird audio distortions first during a certain area that caused slowdown in FFXI. Then again in Cities: Skylines. I set my laptop to "speed" mode (Vaio) and it seemed to go away for Cities. Then I noticed it again while playing a youtube video. It sounds like a robot voice filter, but I'm guessing it's a form of slowdown ... but only for sound?

TheShocker

I am kind of at a loss.....

I purchased a iPhone 6 today.

BestBuy could not transfer my music from old iPhone to new one.

Opened iTunes on my Mac to discover only about 400 or so songs out of 1800 were on there. Not sure how that happened. Im guessing it was just my purchased iTunes music. I have tons and tons of music that was copied from CDs and what not.

I remembered all my music was still on my iPad (all 1800 some songs)

My question is, how and what is the best way to get the music from my iPad to my Mac, and then onto my new phone?

Anything I've found online wants me to pay, which I'm not going to do. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

oneran

nVidia GPU users...

why does Geforce Experience say
8.00GB RAM (7.92GB usable) for my PC RAM
and...

how do I check my GPU temp - I know AMD has a built-in monitor but can't seem to find this on nVidia?

8.00GB of RAM is actually 8192MB of ram which most likely means a device on your system has 256MB reserved (probably an integrated GPU). But just to be sure

Try viewing your system information:

Control Panel > System and Security >System or press Win Key + Pause/Break

Under system it should list your installed memory

If its lists 7.92GB usable like Geforce Experience, try opening msconfig > System Configuration window > click Advanced options on the Boot tab > ensure the Maximum memory check box is unchecked and click okay apply and exit.

Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610 if you want more information or detailed info on the subject.

As for checking the GPU temperatures you typically need to download a tool such as evga precision or msi afterburner (there are many more), they should work with any manufacturers nvidia cards.

Does anyone know what would cause audio distortions ranging from game music to youtube videos? I noticed weird audio distortions first during a certain area that caused slowdown in FFXI. Then again in Cities: Skylines. I set my laptop to "speed" mode (Vaio) and it seemed to go away for Cities. Then I noticed it again while playing a youtube video. It sounds like a robot voice filter, but I'm guessing it's a form of slowdown ... but only for sound?

You should check for updated audio drivers for your sound card on sony's support website if you haven't already.

You can check your audio options:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio devices or just search Manage Audio devices

Once you have the sound window open ensure your in the playback tab, select your audio device and click properties

Navigate to the advanced tab ensure the default format is set to 16-bit 48000hz (DVD Quality) and all option boxes are checked off.

Check the other tabs as well sound blaster and realtek will often have their own tabs for enhancement you can try disabling them and see if the situation improves.

You may also want to consider your speakers/audio card could be faulty/damaged.

Yeah, I tried getting into safe mode. But it doesn't load for some reason.

This is really confusing and had got me very perplexed. Safe mode doesn't load, there are no restore points for some reason, and now my keyboard doesn't work on the initial boot screen, so I can't get to the bios either. Basically, the computer starts to load like normal, then the screen turns hey and: "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer" pops on the screen. After that, the splash screen piped up with the date and time, and you're normally able to press the keyboard or most to make it go away and log in. Well, at this point the computer freezes. It's not simply that the keyboard and mouse stop working, because for a second they do, until the mouse cursor stops and the screen freezes.

After two or three rounds of this, Windows goes into the recovery mode and asks if I want advanced repair options. I go into troubleshooting, and advanced options from there. Startup repair said it can't repair my PC. And every time I chose startup settings, so that I can go into safe mode, once I restart the screen offers nine options, plus a few more. But my keyboard doesn't work on this screen anymore! At first it did, and I would select safe mode here, but it wouldn't load like it should.

FAKE EDIT: AND NOW IT LOADED!!! I genuinely have no idea what happened to let it work now. And I have no idea how to prevent it from happening again.

I'm glad it worked out, you may want to invest in an usb otg cable (they're like a few bucks) they'll allow you to use the micro usb port on the tablet portion of your T100 as a standard usb port. Then you can plug in a regular keyboard and troubleshoot because the T100 keyboard dock can be a bit iffy when it comes to recovery mode.

TronLight

So, looks like my GPU is dead.

One thing though, is it normal that without video drivers everything works fine (I can get into windows and do everything) but whe I install the drivers everything breaks?

oneran

I am kind of at a loss.....

I purchased a iPhone 6 today.

BestBuy could not transfer my music from old iPhone to new one.

Opened iTunes on my Mac to discover only about 400 or so songs out of 1800 were on there. Not sure how that happened. Im guessing it was just my purchased iTunes music. I have tons and tons of music that was copied from CDs and what not.

I remembered all my music was still on my iPad (all 1800 some songs)

My question is, how and what is the best way to get the music from my iPad to my Mac, and then onto my new phone?

Anything I've found online wants me to pay, which I'm not going to do. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I pretty sure you can only transfer music purchased from itunes from your device to your mac (See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267)

Other than that your typically going to need a paid tool such as you described, not sure how well this works but you can check it out http://lifehacker.com/5869827/how-to-copy-music-from-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-to-your-computer-for-free#macosx

However you may want to try the finding lost media method on apples website, it essentially tells you navigate to Home > Music > iTunes > iTunes Media/music and manually check too see if your music is still there.

You can also try using Finder/Spotlight and simply search for a band or title of a song you are missing just to make sure it wasn't moved to another folder location.

So, looks like my GPU is dead.

One thing though, is it normal that without video drivers everything works fine (I can get into windows and do everything) but whe I install the drivers everything breaks?

My condolences :{, I've never had it only work in only standard VGA mode (it's normally all or nothing) but it looks similar to what Rhomega Beta was experiencing on the last page:

My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465. Starting Tuesday, I encountered a driver error, and since then, my computer would get a BSOD while booting up after getting past the Windows loading. The BSOD concerned a driver called nvlddmkm.sys. Thanks to McNum and Firehead, I was able to get into Safe Mode with Networking and get a program that uninstalled my graphics drivers. Now I'm in normal Windows while stuck at 800x600 resolution, and I'm not going to try playing any games. I tried reinstalling the latest drivers, which recreated the same problem. I tried installing old drivers, first with 332.31, which caused my display to turn off. I tried installing 341.44, which also lead to the BSOD (after having a black screen for like 5 minutes). Where do I go from here? Googling also suggests it the video card might physically be overheated. How can I tell?

Update: Took my computer down to Fry's Electronics. Turns out it was the card after all. Replaced it with a GTX 970.

I've assume you tried all the basics like a chkdsk and sfc, you can try re-installing windows just to be 100% sure but I doubt it'll change anything.

If you have another Pc you can try swapping your card to see if the same symptoms occur it would probably be the easiest way to get a definitive answer.

TronLight

My condolences :{, I've never had it only work in only standard VGA mode (it's normally all or nothing) but it looks similar to what Rhomega Beta was experiencing on the last page:

I've assume you tried all the basics like a chkdsk and sfc, you can try re-installing windows just to be 100% sure but I doubt it'll change anything.

If you have another Pc you can try swapping your card to see if the same symptoms occur it would probably be the easiest way to get a definitive answer.

I didn't try chckdisk and sfc. I tried uninstalling the video drivers from safe mode with DDU (cleaning the register and every files too) and resinstalling the drivers always from safe mode, still nothing.

Now I'm using an old Geforce 210, and it's working fine. So it must be the cards itself at this point. I might still try and plug the card into another PC just to be 100% sure, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the support. :lol

ntropy

i think my video card is done.
when i boot to the login screen, there are artifacts riddling the screen. when i login, i only see monochromatic vertical bands.
when i boot to ubuntu, it's just black.

Having a weird issue with my new router. Whenever im downloading a large file (game on steam) no other devices can connect to the wifi. Cant even log into the router on the computer the downloads happening on.

Anyone got any ideas?

oneran

Having a weird issue with my new router. Whenever im downloading a large file (game on steam) no other devices can connect to the wifi. Cant even log into the router on the computer the downloads happening on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Can you give the make and model of the router and a basic overview of your network(other routers, switches, modems).

Some basics: ensure no quality of service options are enabled, and try cycling through the wireless channels to see if anything improves.

Can you give the make and model of the router and a basic overview of your network(other routers, switches, modems).

Some basics: ensure no quality of service options are enabled, and try cycling through the wireless channels to see if anything improves.

I was actually able to force though an update (it has failed 20+ times over the past few weeks) and it appears to have corrected itself.

xHiryu

Okay TechGAF my custom built desktop is beyond fucked, for reasons I honestly don't know. First of all lemme give some background info:

I'm a college Freshman who dorms at my university and so I got a cheap little laptop so I could take it to school and use it for work. I decided to leave my gaming PC at home since taking it to my dorm would be a hassle. So a week ago, I played Payday 2 with some friends since I was home for the night, and everything is totally fine and running well. A week later I come home again to find my PC simply not working whatsoever.

I'm talking BSODs up the ass or "side-by-side configuration error", and honestly idk what happened. Granted I've always had some BSODs but they were uncommon and I would usually shrug them off since my PC would run fine afterwards. But seriously now when it boot up its either a BSOD or me going to the home-screen and not being able to start anything up with the side-by-side configuration error. Its really frustrating. At this point I am thinking its a hardware issue so I plan on buying new RAM and a Hard Drive alongside a full system reset.

Any advice, have any one of you guys have this issue before?

BSOD codes I've gotten:
0x0000001A
0x00000050
0x000000F4

El_Chino

Okay TechGAF my custom built desktop is beyond fucked, for reasons I honestly don't know. First of all lemme give some background info:

I'm a college Freshman who dorms at my university and so I got a cheap little laptop so I could take it to school and use it for work. I decided to leave my gaming PC at home since taking it to my dorm would be a hassle. So a week ago, I played Payday 2 with some friends since I was home for the night, and everything is totally fine and running well. A week later I come home again to find my PC simply not working whatsoever.

I'm talking BSODs up the ass or "side-by-side configuration error", and honestly idk what happened. Granted I've always had some BSODs but they were uncommon and I would usually shrug them off since my PC would run fine afterwards. But seriously now when it boot up its either a BSOD or me going to the home-screen and not being able to start anything up with the side-by-side configuration error. Its really frustrating. At this point I am thinking its a hardware issue so I plan on buying new RAM and a Hard Drive alongside a full system reset.

Any advice, have any one of you guys have this issue before?

BSOD codes I've gotten:
0x0000001A
0x00000050
0x000000F4
It seems your RAM and HDD are dead. I would suggest getting both new but before you do. Would it be possible to bother someone's else ram or HDD to confirm that that's the issue?

I believe if author of the video enables privacy-enhanced mode on the video it goes through youtube-nocookie.com.

My fault on the Website Storage Settings its for specific websites so just ensure if you see s.ytimg.com (youtube) under visited websites ensure it has 10kb. The flash Global Storage Settings should effect both the activex and NPAPI (IE and Firefox) versions of flash, but I guess it doesn't matter since your settings don't seem to be causing the problem.

Do you have realplayer or any youtube downloader add-ons installed?

Edit: You should update your NPAPI player vist https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ from firefox. (Uncheck McAfee Security Scan Plus)

You can download a program like EVGA PrecisionX or msi afterburner (there are many others) if you want to monitor your temps, but your probably going to need to have the nvidia drivers installed in order to do so.

With the nvidia drivers have you tried choosing custom installation and checking the clean installation option? (Use 341.44)

Just want to say for reasons beyond my kin they started working again on all sites. Thanks for your input anyways. I'm certainly needed to update some stuff.

Now something different. Just got a GTX 980. Installed driver 345.20 and I get this message regarding HDCP "a repeater is connected to your system". Now with my 780 and driver 347.52 there is no message. All was fine. Now I know what it is referring to. I have a Sony A/V Receiver for 7.1 and I have my PC/PS4/Xbone and Region 2 Blu-ray player going through it. I also have a Region 1 blu-ray on my PC. However I assume this is now going to make my PC blu-ray player worthless.
Why must Nvidia fuck things up? Anyway around this?

xHiryu

It seems your RAM and HDD are dead. I would suggest getting both new but before you do. Would it be possible to bother someone's else ram or HDD to confirm that that's the issue?
Thats what I thought, any reason why you would think its the RAM or HDD? Sadly I cant try any other forms of RAM or another HDD.

My bf bought me a high quality laptop last year and made me promise I would take care of it.....now something is wrong with the 'o' button; it's hard to click but still works....it's completely screwing up my flow of typing now and this took way longer for me to type out then it should.

Can anyone help me please? :'(

Hey, I'm not sure if you guys will know how to help me, but Google has been failing me. I've got a file I want to play, but it's not working. It's an .mp4 and I've tried playing it in everything I've got in my computer, and it's just not playing. I usually use VLC and haven't had issues except for this one dang file.

Chaplain

Two questions:

1. Who has good VPS cloud services?

2. What courses can I take or what books can I read that will allow me to help with tech support issues on websites?

TronLight

Damn it, I've got a new problem.

Basically Windows started hanging up randomly. It happens faster if I'm watching a video (on YouTube for example), and in this case the audio starts buzzing. After a few seconds it reboots. The system it's not overheating (at least, CPU and GPU aren't).

Last time I had this problem I had to replace my motherboard... Any idea?

oneran

Thats what I thought, any reason why you would think its the RAM or HDD? Sadly I cant try any other forms of RAM or another HDD.

If you haven't already done so:

You can try running windows memory diagnostics and see what it says about your ram.

As for your hard drive Seagate & Western Digital both have diagnostics programs you can run. If you have a drive from another manufacturer they may have their own as well check their website. You can also run/schedule a chkdsk /r from a elevated command prompt (This will take a very long time) if it finds bad sectors chances are the drive is on its last legs and should be replaced.
*(Ensure any important data is backed up before running any hard drive diagnostics)

My bf bought me a high quality laptop last year and made me promise I would take care of it.....now something is wrong with the 'o' button; it's hard to click but still works....it's completely screwing up my flow of typing now and this took way longer for me to type out then it should.

Can anyone help me please? :'(

Have you tried blowing the keyboard out with a can of compressed air?

Hey, I'm not sure if you guys will know how to help me, but Google has been failing me. I've got a file I want to play, but it's not working. It's an .mp4 and I've tried playing it in everything I've got in my computer, and it's just not playing. I usually use VLC and haven't had issues except for this one dang file.

If it's only the one file it is probably corrupt or wasn't encoded properly, where did you get it from?
(Try downloading quicktime if you don't already have it)

so i seem to be having trouble with my seagate goflex home nas drive.
been using it for nearly two years now and generally it's been completely fine but now it seems i have lost permissions to create folders, move things to the hard drive etc. it also is no longer showing me my folders beyond 'goflex home public' directory (two stages deep in the hierarchy of the drive).
is my drive dying? is this because i never formatted it to mac journaled? it's odd that only now it's having a problem.

any ideas?

Top Bottom