• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

If it's only the one file it is probably corrupt or wasn't encoded properly, where did you get it from?
(Try downloading quicktime if you don't already have it)

It's a file that I deleted, but then got back with Recuva. Because of that, I do figure it's probably lost forever, but I thought I might ask anyway.

So I have been having a problem(really more of an annoyance) with playing videos on my computer. A good portion of the time when I play a video the audio will start playing but the video will be frozen for around the first 5 - 10 seconds and then after that everything is fine. This only happens the first time I open a video after booting the computer, any subsequent time after that the videos play fine, even the original video I had opened. I have tried different things such as changing the video renderer, splitter, decoder, and using different media players (MPC-HC and PotPlayer) but it still happens.

Any idea what could be causing this issue and how I could fix it?

xHiryu

If you haven't already done so:

You can try running windows memory diagnostics and see what it says about your ram.

As for your hard drive Seagate & Western Digital both have diagnostics programs you can run. If you have a drive from another manufacturer they may have their own as well check their website. You can also run/schedule a chkdsk /r from a elevated command prompt (This will take a very long time) if it finds bad sectors chances are the drive is on its last legs and should be replaced.
*(Ensure any important data is backed up before running any hard drive diagnostics)

I did do the Memory Diagnostics and it told me everything was fine. I ended up replacing my RAM and my Hard Drive, did a fresh install of Windows and now everything is good. Thanks for the help!

Odah

Banned
Helloooo dear GAF Technicans!

I have a problem regarding SSD's

Today I (myself!) managed to build one into my PC which I bought from Amazon (250GB Samsung 850EVO), but here is the issue! :

I installed the Samsung Migration Tool but I have no Idea how to clone my OS and some specific games onto it. When I get to the screen with cloning it says my HDD is bigger than my SSD and therefore I have to manually choose which files shouldn't be cloned. However I can't find my OS nor the games I want to copy onto my SSD. If I choose to select all folders I only get like 177GB in total from my 800GB which are used on my HDD.

What can i do now? I thought that it would be easy just to select the stuff you want, like steam games, OS and whatnot

I need haaaalp

Mexen

Building my first website for a company and I was wondering if any vets could point me in the direction of good WCM software for my client's sake once I'm done designing it.

I'm trying to port forward my router (2wire 3801HGV) to seed with Deluge and I'm having trouble with the very last step. I can't add it to hosted applications (look here) because it says "Errors: Deluge cannot be mapped on [computer name]; The system web server is using the same resources." Does that mean I have to change my IP or deactivate a computer?

Cyberius

Hi TechSupportGAF, my gaming PC has been exhibiting some just sluggishness and Low FPS problems in places and games it really shouldn't. Namely, even games like Crusader Kings 2, Europa Univerallis 4, and now Cities: Skylines are having trouble rendering above 20-30 FPS on high and only getting up to 30-40 on low. I just clear the recommended specs on Cities: Skylines so I would think I could run it well. I just ran Passmark Performance Test and everything seems normal. CPU rating was a little low and GPU was a little high. Every virus scan I've done has come up with nothing.

My current specs are:

Core i5-3570 (3.4 Ghz)
GeForce GTX 660
8GB RAM

Any leads would be appreciated.

Hi. I built my first pc yesterday and it seemed to go well but when I turned it on I get no signal on my monitor or tv. I've tried different connections on the gpu -hdmi/dvi, I've tried using onboard graphics, a different gpu I know worked in my old pc.
Ive tried all the troubleshooting tips I've found online but nothing has worked.
I don't get any beeps at all from the motherboard unless the ram is removed completely.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-The cpu I have x4 860k has a problem with the motherboard I have until the firmware is updated on the mobo. Which can only be done with another cpu.

Odah

Banned
Folllow up post from my previous one:

Thought I'd shed some more light into this to give more insight on my problem.

This time with pics!

Well first of all the Samsung Data Migration Tool shows me that my SSD is full (right?):

befe24b4eb.png

Alltough under the Magician Tool it shows up as empty:

(sorry for the german, it says 0GB are being used)

When I go to my computer where I can see my HDD and other devices it doesn't show up at all:

As you can see only the disk drive and ":C" are visible. Nothing about a SSD.

but if I go under device-manager I can find it.

f52eef6c21.png

Now let's move onto the next part which buggles my mind,

since my HDD uses 800+GB atm I obviously can't clone evereything onto my SSD (I'm planning only to copy my OS and some games anyways)

so it gives me this:

which means I have to do it "manually" by selecting which files shouldn't be cloned, alright.....but:

This here is my problem (or one of em) which I am facing right now. Under help it is saying that OS and "Programms" folder where all the games and stuff is, cannot be scanned by the tool and therefore i cannot exclude or include stuff. I have no idea what to do now. I only want to copy the OS and certain games! Not all the other shit....

So my problems here are:

Why is it saying in the tool that my SSD is full?
Why can't I just copy what I want instead of this migration tool crap?
Why can't I see the SSD next to my :C drive?

I really need some help here as I have a difficult time trying to find a solution either by googling or asking friends.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope left.

oneran

Folllow up post from my previous one:

Thought I'd shed some more light into this to give more insight on my problem.

This time with pics!

Well first of all the Samsung Data Migration Tool shows me that my SSD is full (right?):

Alltough under the Magician Tool it shows up as empty:

(sorry for the german, it says 0GB are being used)

When I go to my computer where I can see my HDD and other devices it doesn't show up at all:

As you can see only the disk drive and ":C" are visible. Nothing about a SSD.

but if I go under device-manager I can find it.

I believe the samsung Data Migration Tool is showing your SSD would be full if you did the transfer.

The ssd is probably not formatted which is why Magician Tool shows it as empty and it doesn't show up with the rest of your drives under my computer.

If you want to format it:

Open computer management
In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
Find the ssd Right-click it then click Format

Now let's move onto the next part which buggles my mind,

since my HDD uses 800+GB atm I obviously can't clone evereything onto my SSD (I'm planning only to copy my OS and some games anyways)

so it gives me this:

which means I have to do it "manually" by selecting which files shouldn't be cloned, alright.....but:

This here is my problem (or one of em) which I am facing right now. Under help it is saying that OS and "Programms" folder where all the games and stuff is, cannot be scanned by the tool and therefore i cannot exclude or include stuff. I have no idea what to do now. I only want to copy the OS and certain games! Not all the other shit....

I really need some help here as I have a difficult time trying to find a solution either by googling or asking friends.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope left

Disk imaging tools (such as the samsung Data Migration Tool you are using) basically just copy the data to the new drive they cannot alter the operating system in the ways you want. All the other stuff you don't want (such as programs) may still be referenced by the OS so if you don't copy it could cause issues, which is most likely why it won't let you change the program files folder.

Your most likely better off moving your data to another drive
or a new folder in the root of your current drive such as C:\Archive then deselect it manually when you try to clone
. Uninstall any other large programs you don't want through programs and features.

Edit: Looks like your going to have to move your files to a separate backup drive because according to that 5th image it will delete everything off the source drive.

If you have alot of steam games refer to https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129. You basically only need to backup your SteamApps folder then uninstall steam, once your drive is cloned redirect the new steam install to where ever you want and simply replace the SteamApps with your old one.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Can movies purchased on iTunes be played anywhere or just within QuickTime/iTunes/apple products?

I won a 50 dollar gift card and don't have any interest in holding onto it until the snowballs chance in hell that I buy another apple device.

Thanks in advance.

Foxix Von

Okay so, I dun goofed hard.

This computer was previously set up by someone else who moved his user profile off of the C drive to another drive.

When poking around the computer I goofed up and accidentally snapped the sata cable to the drive with his user profile without realizing it.

I boot the computer and it has no idea where the hell the desktop even is. I've since reconnected the HDD properly but windows is stuck not knowing where all the profile data is and I have no idea how to get it to recognize the profile. It just boots to a generic user profile now.

Any ideas?

Mr.Pig

Can movies purchased on iTunes be played anywhere or just within QuickTime/iTunes/apple products?

I won a 50 dollar gift card and don't have any interest in holding onto it until the snowballs chance in hell that I buy another apple device.

Thanks in advance.

Why not use it to rent movies until you run out?

zbarron

I am having what I think is an HDCP handshake issue. In my Nvidia control panel it says

Alerts:
A repeater is connected to your system.
Some Video Applications do not support HDCP when a repeater is present.

My problem is when I put in a game or a Netflix video the screen goes to the projectors blue Viewsonic screen it does when you switch resolutions. It has always done this but it used to go to the movie or game in a few moments. Now it stays on this screen searching for a source until I hit the input button on the projector and cycle inputs until I get back to HDMI where it finally finds the screen again and works.

Background:
I just formatted my PC and put a fresh copy of Windows 10 Technical Preview on it. I was using the same build of Windows 10 before and was not experiencing this issue so I doubt Windows 10 is the problem

Specs:
Viewsonic PJD7820HD Projector
Denon E400 Receiver
Nvidia GTX 670
i7 4770k
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

So I just experienced something I haven't in years.

I got malware on my PC. I have no idea how (don't worry I got rid of it already). It surprised me/stumbled me because I don't know how this was possible.

Nobody besides me really has access to this machine, nobody is plugging in flash drives, nothing.
I don't install random things, nothing like that. My browsing security is pretty good.

Yesterday I turned off my PC, everything was fine. Today I turned it on, fine as well. Then in the morning I installed three things.

a) Xnview (used this for years), but hadn't had it installed past two months or so since I reinstalled Windows
b) Firefox (chrome was giving me issues last few weeks, decided to switch back to FF)
c) A theme for Firefox because I wanted it black (got from official mozilla site, one I've never used).

Few hours later I restart my PC. Guess what when I login? My Chrome (I kept it installed and default browser) instantly opens up, and takes me to some site called bizigames with lewd anime girls and stuff on it.

I don't know if it may have come somehow from those three things or a malicious ad from a website I have adblocker turned off on (there's a couple that I've all visited in last 24hrs, including GAF where I have it off but I highly doubt it's from GAF).

It's all removed now, was easy to remove and no traces, but I can't understand how this happened. I haven't had a virus/malware for years, seriously. I can't remember the last time I had one, must've been around when Vista just came out I think last.

Help me GAF. I just received my new laptop and am running into some bad issues on day 2.

I got an HP Envy with Windows 8.

Day 1 everything worked fine. I was able to connect to the internet. I downloaded Malawarebytes, VLC media player, Steam, Chrome. In the evening, I decided to see how Team Fortress 2 ran on it, so before I went to bed I put it to download from Steam.

I woke up this morning and now the thing won't connect to the internet or open up certain programs. It connects to my actual router, and wired directly to the modem, but neither actually opens any websites. Chrome doesn't open now. I double clicked Team Fortress 2, and it didn't open... until about 15 minutes later it randomly started up. I ran Malawarebytes and it came up with nothing. I am now trying to uninstall Steam and TF2 and it won't let me. No idea what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Well I was able to uninstall steam and tf2 but it didn't change anything. There is no restore point since the computer is only a day old

oneran

Help me GAF. I just received my new laptop and am running into some bad issues on day 2.

I got an HP Envy with Windows 8.

Day 1 everything worked fine. I was able to connect to the internet. I downloaded Malawarebytes, VLC media player, Steam, Chrome. In the evening, I decided to see how Team Fortress 2 ran on it, so before I went to bed I put it to download from Steam.

I woke up this morning and now the thing won't connect to the internet or open up certain programs. It connects to my actual router, and wired directly to the modem, but neither actually opens any websites. Chrome doesn't open now. I double clicked Team Fortress 2, and it didn't open... until about 15 minutes later it randomly started up. I ran Malawarebytes and it came up with nothing. I am now trying to uninstall Steam and TF2 and it won't let me. No idea what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Well I was able to uninstall steam and tf2 but it didn't change anything. There is no restore point since the computer is only a day old

Have you checked your Ipv4 tcp/ip settings?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

Ensure they're all set to auto, also do have any other devices on your network and can they connect to the internet?

Okay so, I dun goofed hard.

This computer was previously set up by someone else who moved his user profile off of the C drive to another drive.

When poking around the computer I goofed up and accidentally snapped the sata cable to the drive with his user profile without realizing it.

I boot the computer and it has no idea where the hell the desktop even is. I've since reconnected the HDD properly but windows is stuck not knowing where all the profile data is and I have no idea how to get it to recognize the profile. It just boots to a generic user profile now.

Any ideas?

Do you know how exactly he moved the users directory? And did the drive letter change when you reattached it?

Have you tried creating a directory junction between the user folders?

example (open an elevated command prompt and type): mklink /J C:\Users\[Username] D:\Users\[Username]

(where D is where the off system drive that contains the user data)

Foxix Von

Have you checked your Ipv4 tcp/ip settings?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

Ensure they're all set to auto, also do have any other devices on your network and can they connect to the internet?

Do you know how exactly he moved the users directory? And did the drive letter change when you reattached it?

Have you tried creating a directory junction between the user folders?

example (open an elevated command prompt and type): mklink /J C:\Users\[Username] D:\Users\[Username]

(where D is where the off system drive that contains the user data)

No to the first two questions.

As for the third, well I tried that earlier and it didn't work. Realized I typed the name wrong, lol. Anyway even after getting it correct I can log into my old account... sort of. The desktop is still not working, none of the search functions work, etc, etc.

RowdyReverb

I didn't know this thread existed, but I'm glad it does. I've had this question for a while now, hopefully someone here knows the answer.

I've been looking for a very simple wireless bridge that essentially acts just like an ethernet cable running from point A to point B (30 feet away from wireless router, no obstructions). I had wanted to run a wired connection upstairs from my router/modem location (point A) for a more reliable connection, but the next-best thing I could do was run a hidden Cat 6 cable cable from upstairs to the aforementioned point B, but now I'm not sure how to take advantage of it. Upstairs I would have a network switch connected to that hidden cable for several set-top boxes under that TV to have a reliably internet connection.

Most of the products I've seen in this category seem to add overhead or more features than I'm looking for. Does anybody have any recommendations for a product, or perhaps a better solution?

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered my own question. Check out this "Wireless Ethernet Cord". I swear that didn't turn up last time I tried to research this. It's a tad pricey at $100, but with this I could just move my whole router to "Point B" and wirelessly connect it to the modem at "Point A".

CoryCubed

I had a purchased a Gateway SX2850 a few years ago. It's a decent machine, and now I find myself playing lots of games on it. Unfortunately it is one of those slim towers. So I put a new video card in it about a year ago, and its alright, but I can't put the case back together it being so big. (and this was a slimmer card to begin with).

Best I have been able to figure out, the motherboard is a micro atx. I3 processor (will get at least an I5 in the future, but it will be a new machine). I would like to put a nice card in there to tide me over another two years, even if the games run at medium, mostly playing older stuff anyway, pre 2014.

Would I have any problems or are there any other suggestions, maybe a better case, for this?

I am looking at this one right now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJ67WNS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1JMMNP23LIGEH&coliid=I3LHHUECJ06789&psc=1

Thanks!

Sordid

I've just realised that my new TV has Miracast built in and it works fine with my phone. Does anyone know how to get Windows 8.1 to project to a wireless screen? When I go to devices -> project my screen there is no option to find a wireless display :(

I'm pretty sure all of my laptop components are Miracast compatible (i7 4700mq CPU, Geforce 755m GPU & an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wifi card) but I just can't get it to work.

I'm trying to port forward my router (2wire 3801HGV) to seed with Deluge and I'm having trouble with the very last step. I can't add it to hosted applications (look here) because it says "Errors: Deluge cannot be mapped on [computer name]; The system web server is using the same resources." Does that mean I have to change my IP or deactivate a computer?
Bump

Big Chungus

not sure why but my internet keep crapping out on my desktop.

it shows no connection on my network adapter under network

tried pinging my router but it failed, so im not sure if its my ethernet cable or nic

all other wired/wireless devices work fine

if i restart my pc it fixes the peoblem

oneran

Have you tried using another port?
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq#WhichportsshouldIuse

You may also want to try setting your client that's using deluge to a static ip.

I had a purchased a Gateway SX2850 a few years ago. It's a decent machine, and now I find myself playing lots of games on it. Unfortunately it is one of those slim towers. So I put a new video card in it about a year ago, and its alright, but I can't put the case back together it being so big. (and this was a slimmer card to begin with).

Best I have been able to figure out, the motherboard is a micro atx. I3 processor (will get at least an I5 in the future, but it will be a new machine). I would like to put a nice card in there to tide me over another two years, even if the games run at medium, mostly playing older stuff anyway, pre 2014.

Would I have any problems or are there any other suggestions, maybe a better case, for this?

I am looking at this one right now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJ67WNS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1JMMNP23LIGEH&coliid=I3LHHUECJ06789&psc=1

Thanks!

The case looks nice enough go with what ever works works for you (Both feature and spec wise).

Ensure you use the riser studs when installing the motherboard, handle all components properly and try to minimize your contact with any pcb to reduce any chance of electrostatic discharge. Since your currently using a slim case you may want to ensure your power supply will fit in your new case.

I've just realised that my new TV has Miracast built in and it works fine with my phone. Does anyone know how to get Windows 8.1 to project to a wireless screen? When I go to devices -> project my screen there is no option to find a wireless display :(

I'm pretty sure all of my laptop components are Miracast compatible (i7 4700mq CPU, Geforce 755m GPU & an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wifi card) but I just can't get it to work.

There is no add wireless display option under charm bar>devices>project?

Have you tried Pc Settings > Pc and Devices > Devices > Add a Device and see if your tv shows up?

oneran

not sure why but my internet keep crapping out on my desktop.

it shows no connection on my network adapter under network

tried pinging my router but it failed, so im not sure if its my ethernet cable or nic

all other wired/wireless devices work fine

if i restart my pc it fixes the peoblem

Seeing as its working initially my guess would be the nic, you may want to check if there are any updates for your card. You should probably check the cable as well just to be sure.

When does the connection stop working? randomly or after the pc goes into a power saving mode?

When it stops try going into network and sharing center > change adapter settings > right click your adapter disable and then re-enable, to see if it will re-initialize the connection.

No to the first two questions.

As for the third, well I tried that earlier and it didn't work. Realized I typed the name wrong, lol. Anyway even after getting it correct I can log into my old account... sort of. The desktop is still not working, none of the search functions work, etc, etc.

Have you tried this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18583-user-folders-restore-default-location.html (not sure how much functionality you have so sorry if you can't do any of this)

Just replace the default location with wherever your corresponding folders are located. You will most likely also have to reset the temp/tmp environment variables as well.

Sordid

There is no add wireless display option under charm bar>devices>project?

Have you tried Pc Settings > Pc and Devices > Devices > Add a Device and see if your tv shows up?

Nope, under project I have PC screen only, duplicate, extend and second screen only.

Under add a device my TV shows up as a UPNP device (Play To works from my pc) but not as a wireless display unfortunately.

oneran

Nope, under project I have PC screen only, duplicate, extend and second screen only.

Under add a device my TV shows up as a UPNP device (Play To works from my pc) but not as a wireless display unfortunately.

Apparently if you have third party virtualized components/adapters it could cause issues with Miracast. If you have one try disabling/unchecking it under Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections, also check the link below if you haven't already.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-networking/trouble-shooting-miracast/51d24be3-8d15-4c29-8e13-767ec365fbd8

Big Chungus

Seeing as its working initially my guess would be the nic, you may want to check if there are any updates for your card. You should probably check the cable as well just to be sure.

When does the connection stop working? randomly or after the pc goes into a power saving mode?

When it stops try going into network and sharing center > change adapter settings > right click your adapter disable and then re-enable, to see if it will re-initialize the connection.

Sometimes it disconnects randomly, shows the yellow sign on the network icon on bottom right then it reconnects, takes about 10 seconds.

Then sometimes when I wake up my computer from sleep mode, it doesnt connect at all.

It's an integrated NIC btw, built into the motherboard.

There are two ethernet ports for some reason.

oneran

Sometimes it disconnects randomly, shows the yellow sign on the network icon on bottom right then it reconnects, takes about 10 seconds.

Then sometimes when I wake up my computer from sleep mode, it doesnt connect at all.

It's an integrated NIC btw, built into the motherboard.

There are two ethernet ports for some reason.

They're used for Ethernet teaming to provide better lan performance if your modem/router/switch supports it, consult your motherboard's manual normally it will recommend using one over the other if your only using one port.

Malleavel

Does anyone know much about dacs. I have an odac from jds labs that no longer shows up in playback devices on my laptop. I've tested it on other computers and it works fine, but when plugged into my laptop, it doesn't show up. I've checked in device manager and on control panel, it shows up there and is "working properly" but is otherwise absent from sound settings and such.

oneran

Does anyone know much about dacs. I have an odac from jds labs that no longer shows up in playback devices on my laptop. I've tested it on other computers and it works fine, but when plugged into my laptop, it doesn't show up. I've checked in device manager and on control panel, it shows up there and is "working properly" but is otherwise absent from sound settings and such.

Are you sure your audio services are running?

Sordid

Apparently if you have third party virtualized components/adapters it could cause issues with Miracast. If you have one try disabling/unchecking it under Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections, also check the link below if you haven't already.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-networking/trouble-shooting-miracast/51d24be3-8d15-4c29-8e13-767ec365fbd8

Tried everything I could from these links but no dice, I think I'm screwed. Hopefully it'll work when Windows 10 is released.

Cheers for trying to help anyway!

I'm going fucking insane GAF. I thought it was my mouse, but it wasn't.

My mouse freezes constantly every few seconds, its only for a moment or two.....but when it happens constantly...all fucking day long....ugh, I don't know what's wrong with it. I need help figuring this out. I googled it, and it doesn't help. It might have something to do with my USB drives, or my motherboard or something, I dunno. I've never had any problems with my PC since I built it a year ago. This is the first ssue that has been bugging me for I don't know how long now.

Ugh. help please. I bought a new mouse, and it keeps happening. It's not the mouse.

Edit: I tried updating and adding some of the other software that my motherboard came with, nothing. I tried updating the existing ones...nothing. I don't know what else to do. It's making me mad.

Scirrocco

Sorry if this has been asked before, I don't know how to search threads on mobile.

So at work we have kind of a weird setup. I work offshore. We have wireless, it doesn't connect to the internet, but we do have several storage devices on the network with a bunch of movies and tv shows on it. I'm trying to setup my phone/tablet so it can connect and watch movies off the network, but it cant seem to find the servers. I have the ip address, and I know itworks since my laptop can connect without issue.

I'm not sure if in not putting it in right, or the apps I'm using aren't right for it. I've tried Es file explorer and file navigator (it's on Android), and they seem like they should work, but nothing.

If it helps, hat I put into explorer is \ipaddrpublic. I've tried every variation I can think of in the apps. Is there a better app to use or am ijust not doing it right?

I've fucked up GAF. I accidentally removed the Windows partition, alt-F10 isn't bringing up Acer Recovery (i'm certain I didn't remove the recovery partition and D2D is enabled) and I don't have the Recovery disc, am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy one from Acer?

oneran

I'm going fucking insane GAF. I thought it was my mouse, but it wasn't.

My mouse freezes constantly every few seconds, its only for a moment or two.....but when it happens constantly...all fucking day long....ugh, I don't know what's wrong with it. I need help figuring this out. I googled it, and it doesn't help. It might have something to do with my USB drives, or my motherboard or something, I dunno. I've never had any problems with my PC since I built it a year ago. This is the first ssue that has been bugging me for I don't know how long now.

Ugh. help please. I bought a new mouse, and it keeps happening. It's not the mouse.

Edit: I tried updating and adding some of the other software that my motherboard came with, nothing. I tried updating the existing ones...nothing. I don't know what else to do. It's making me mad.

Do you have abnormally high cpu/disk usage (check resource monitor), if you do it might not be the mouse and just the Pc being laggy.

Is windows making the device plugged-in/unplugged noise when the mouse is stalling? You may want to try a powered usb hub/ another port on your pc.

This information is a bit dated, but you can try disabling mouse acceleration http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/149228. I doubt this is the issue but if your going to try it write down/remember your original settings and be careful when in the registry.

I think so, I'm getting sound like I normally would; the laptop's speakers work fine, as do headphones when plugged into the laptop directly.

The only other thing I can think of is opening your audio playback window (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound) right-clicking the empty white space and click show disabled devices.

XBP

I have this weird problem with my new system thats rather confusing. For some reason, my computer sometimes refuses to boot and I get a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner. Nothing on the keyboard works when I see this and the only way to fix the problem is to manually shut down the PC and boot it again (which immediately fixes the issue).

The thing is, this doesn't happen very often. The last time this happened was over a month ago and today it happened again. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? If this is a hardware issue, would it be so random and happen after such long periods?

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
So I have a computer(acting as an email server) on my network that is experiencing DNS issues when sending/receiving email. The computer has an assigned IP on the network but uses separate DNS servers compared to the router. To eliminate the possibility of this causing my DNS issues, how do I use my routers DNS settings on the computer?

TL;DR
-Router grabs DNS automatically from ISP
-Computer uses OpenDNS DNS settigns
-Want computer to use Router DNS settings.

Do I just set the computer's DNS IP settings to the routers IP(gateway)?

Foxix Von

Okay, so last night I did a clean install of windows, got a new 290x installed, downloaded and installed the catalyst drivers and made sure everything was working fine.

After that I shut the system down, installed a second 290x, hooked up more monitors, and now the pc basically crashes on startup.

It comes up with a very low res screen and I get an error that says catalyst control system cannot open or is not installed correctly.

I reinstalled it, rebooted, the system crashed, restarted and CCC is missing again.

What gives?

Okay, so last night I did a clean install of windows, got a new 290x installed, downloaded and installed the catalyst drivers and made sure everything was working fine.

After that I shut the system down, installed a second 290x, hooked up more monitors, and now the pc basically crashes on startup.

It comes up with a very low res screen and I get an error that says catalyst control system cannot open or is not installed correctly.

I reinstalled it, rebooted, the system crashed, restarted and CCC is missing again.

What gives?

First, we need more info, can you list all your computer specs? Most important the and MOBO and PSU.

Second, have you tried the 2 cards separately? Take the one you tested first that worked out, put the 2nd one in the first slot. Does it work? Then try each card for the 2nd PCI-E slot. How does it work out?

I have this weird problem with my new system thats rather confusing. For some reason, my computer sometimes refuses to boot and I get a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner. Nothing on the keyboard works when I see this and the only way to fix the problem is to manually shut down the PC and boot it again (which immediately fixes the issue).

The thing is, this doesn't happen very often. The last time this happened was over a month ago and today it happened again. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? If this is a hardware issue, would it be so random and happen after such long periods?

Check your SATA cable, a loose connection can do that. If that doesn't work, try a new cable, different SATA port.

Foxix Von

First, we need more info, can you list all your computer specs? Most important the and MOBO and PSU.

Second, have you tried the 2 cards separately? Take the one you tested first that worked out, put the 2nd one in the first slot. Does it work? Then try each card for the 2nd PCI-E slot. How does it work out?

Check your SATA cable, a loose connection can do that. If that doesn't work, try a new cable, different SATA port.
29 290x
ASrock Z87 extreme 4
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Rosewill Capstone 750-M

So, both cards work independently in each slot just fine, although I did have to run the installer again and reboot for it to work again.

The weird thing is that after rebooting again my wifi card no longer seems to be working? Like it seems to have just forgotten that the card exists.

So, I recently got a V-Moda BoomPro mic for my headphones, and have noticed when it's plugged into my soundcard, the left and right sounds are reversed. I've unplugged it, put my original cable in and it's fine again. I've read about a possible option somewhere that lets me reverse my audio so I can fix the issue, but I've yet to find that option anywhere in Windows 8.

Is there actually any option like that or is it most likely just my mic wire being faulty?

Foxix Von

Okay so I updated the bios, and then I had a weird problem where the wifi card wouldn't be recognized with the gpu in the first PCI-e slot.

I tried various combinations of gpu placement and tried running crossfire again and now, literally nothing works. The whole system displays no video and the mobo just displays the number 00.

... What just happened?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So now I have a Z77 mobo, which can use the integrated graphic of my i5-2500k (I previously had a P67 which couldn't).
But the igp in the 2500k sucks, so I want to use my GeForce 210 (I know, it sucks too, but for the times being...).

How do I do that exactly? Just plug it in, install drivers and good to go? I know I don't have to disable the integrated graphic if I don't want to, and I should be able to use both (lighter tasks on the IGP, heavier tasks on the discrete)?

So now I have a Z77 mobo, which can use the integrated graphic of my i5-2500k (I previously had a P67 which couldn't).
But the igp in the 2500k sucks, so I want to use my GeForce 210 (I know, it sucks too, but for the times being...).

How do I do that exactly? Just plug it in, install drivers and good to go? I know I don't have to disable the integrated graphic if I don't want to, and I should be able to use both (lighter tasks on the IGP, heavier tasks on the discrete)?

Plug it in. Switch the cable from the iGPU to the geforce one. Boot it up, install driver. No need to disable anything.

Top Bottom