• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Zenith said:
ok, new info. I managed to get into safe mode and ran a temperature monitor. Showed 90 degrees across the board, but all my fans were turning (and there are a lot). It shouldn't be able to get that hot.

So big question is: is my CPU screwing up because of the temperature, or is the temperature skyrocketing because something is sending my CPU into overdrive?

90 degrees is insane should not be that hot...might need to change ur heat sink

Edit: Just cheaked mine, running at 55-60

Ashhong

spiderman123 said:
90 degrees is insane should not be that hot...might need to change ur heat sink

Edit: Just cheaked mine, running at 55-60

60 celsius?? mines at 30-40

to the first guy, i would first try reseating your cpu+heatsink. somethings not right

Hey,

I just reinstalled Windows 7 as I bought two x 256gb SSD hard drives. Now I'm getting a yellow exclamation mark under SATA driver in device manager and I don't think my drives are operating in RAID 0 array, both drives are showing up separately in 'my computer' rather than as one.

Could you please help me to solve this problem?

I previously did have everything set up properly, with my two old hard drives it showed up as a single drive in 'my computer' so I'm not sure what's going on now.

EDIT: What I want is for the capacity of the two drives to be combined as one e.g. One 512GB hard drive instead of two drives, if possible.

Vamphuntr

I seem to have some problems with Google Chrome. Very often when I start a dld by directly clicking on a link in Chrome, either the download won't start or it will be really slow. I have to manually stop them in the dld bar at the bottom and restart them. When restarted they usually dld fine. How come? I never had this problem with firefox or explorer.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I was given a laptop to fix today from family friends. The fan runs constantly, it seems to be happening due to Norton. Checking the computer there seems to be tons of crap on it and I want to do a fresh install (They have backed up their needed files). But I have no idea how to without any type of windows disc, never done it before without one.

This is vista for a Compaq Presario C700. Would I just find a copy of vista and install with the product key on bottom of laptop or need to use a specific HP Compaq disc?

Corran Horn said:
I was given a laptop to fix today from family friends. The fan runs constantly, it seems to be happening due to Norton. Checking the computer there seems to be tons of crap on it and I want to do a fresh install (They have backed up their needed files). But I have no idea how to without any type of windows disc, never done it before without one.

This is vista for a Compaq Presario C700. Would I just find a copy of vista and install with the product key on bottom of laptop or need to use a specific HP Compaq disc?

Nope. Download an .iso copy of it and just use the cd key. You may need to visit Compaq's site to download drivers for anything that doesnt work after fresh install.

I recommend you just convince to put Windows 7 on it if you can.

Ducarmel

I accidentally unplugged the cord from the outlet of my computer and it did something to my desktop. I checked all the hardware they all seem to be in working condition.

I boot up windows it loads but hangs on a black screen, so I decide to repair windows.

I get to the part where it says windows will determine which version of windows is currently installed and its been like that for an hour is it normal?

edit

fixed my problem

DeadTrees

Parallax Scroll said:
I've got Win7 on my laptop and Aero somehow got turned off. So like there's no transparency effects anymore. How do I turn it back on?
In general, right click on your desktop wallpaper->Personalize->pick an Aero theme. However, Aero will be automatically disabled if you're running a incompatible legacy app.

DeadTrees said:
In general, right click on your desktop wallpaper->Personalize->pick an Aero theme. However, Aero will be automatically disabled if you're running a incompatible legacy app.
Thanks. I'd tried setting it in Personalize but it hadn't helped. I'd forgotten that some programs automatically disable Aero though. I tried closing pretty much everything I could but still couldn't get Aero to turn on. But then after a reboot, Aero is back. Note that I already tried rebooting before. I even tried to identify the offending program by opening everything I could think of, and Aero still stays on. *shrug*

Toby

So I had two 1.5tb drives in a RAID 1 array. When booted up today, windows 7 professional x64 started doing a disc check. It had done this once before and nothing of note happened. This time, however, it started running down a long list that said "deleted corrupted file somethingsomething"

Now, I booted back into windows and when I try to access one of the folders on the drive it says that it is not accessible and the the directory is corrupted and unreadable.

So please, help me. I have no idea what options I have in getting this data back.
ANY suggestions are appreciated.

Alucrid

Banned
GAF my computer keeps freezing up every so often for some reason. When it freezes all applications open stop, but I can still move my mouse, move the windows, min and max tabs, but I can't even crtl+alt+del to bring that up. It's getting pretty annoying, it might happen once every two hours or so and lasts about ~30 seconds. I ran a malware and virus program and there wasn't anything to report.

Edit: Windows 7 - 64

big ander

I'm at a friends and we're trying to run 2 360s on his wireless network. Unfortunately there are no ethernet ports nearby, so we're bridging connections with laptops. One is working just fine. The second won't let us bridge because it says the network is already shared. Can we not bridge two at once? Or is something wrong?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bistromathics said:
What OS are you using? I notice this happening to me in mirrors edge and bioshock in Win7 but not in WinXP, so I copied my saves over and played in dual boot. Not an optimal solution, but I am still curious.

The_Inquisitor said:
Some more information would be nice.

Solved- I am on Win7, and my computer is kind of a beast, so I'm glad no hardware issues are to blame. Turns out it was the tiny little program F.lux. Uninstalled that and everything is back to smooth as butter.

This is more of a software tech support question -

two monitor setup, windows vista, firefox or explorer, doesn't really matter:

trying to watch streaming video in full screen on one monitor while trying to browse on the other. I can put monitor A onto full screen, but the minute I click on anything in monitor B (browsing the net), Monitor A drops from full screen into tiny window.

Any way to make it remain full screen?

Blackheim

Well, I tried posting this in the PC thread on gaming side since that thread seems to be more active. I'll try here instead and hopefully get an idea of what is up with my PC:

I had my PSU, or so I thought, die last night. I picked up a Corsair HX Series 750 Watt PSU today and threw it in. Computer still didn't boot up or even do anything. My old PSU wouldn't do anything either except make the power and reset buttons on my MB light up solid.

The corsair makes them flash. No fans spin up and the MB doesn't beep at me even when I place the MB on my table with everything disconnected except for the ram, cpu and the cables to power the board. Any idea what might me my problem? I really don't want to have to buy a new MB, but if I do .... blah, I'll do so.

Specs:
Asus M4A79 Deluxe MB
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
GSkill 2x2Gig DDR2 Dual Channel 1066
Gigabyte ATI 4870 1gig ram
Blu-ray Optical Drive
500gig WD Black HDD
1T WD Green

clav

Blackheim said:
Well, I tried posting this in the PC thread on gaming side since that thread seems to be more active. I'll try here instead and hopefully get an idea of what is up with my PC:

I had my PSU, or so I thought, die last night. I picked up a Corsair HX Series 750 Watt PSU today and threw it in. Computer still didn't boot up or even do anything. My old PSU wouldn't do anything either except make the power and reset buttons on my MB light up solid.

The corsair makes them flash. No fans spin up and the MB doesn't beep at me even when I place the MB on my table with everything disconnected except for the ram, cpu and the cables to power the board. Any idea what might me my problem? I really don't want to have to buy a new MB, but if I do .... blah, I'll do so.

Specs:
Asus M4A79 Deluxe MB
Blu-ray Optical Drive
500gig WD Black HDD
1T WD Green

Just RMA the motherboard.

Blackheim

Well, it's a bit over a year old now. I don't think Newegg will accept an RMA for something that old will they? ASUS tech support was no help, the guy kept trying to tell me the board wasn't getting enough power ... even after I tried to tell him that it worked for a year+ before just fine.

Beowulf28

Blackheim said:

Specs:
Asus M4A79 Deluxe MB
Blu-ray Optical Drive
500gig WD Black HDD
1T WD Green
Looks like you have a dead MB. You should return that new PSU and use the money to buy a new MB.

clav

Blackheim said:
Well, it's a bit over a year old now. I don't think Newegg will accept an RMA for something that old will they? ASUS tech support was no help, the guy kept trying to tell me the board wasn't getting enough power ... even after I tried to tell him that it worked for a year+ before just fine.
Tell ASUS that the mobo simply dead. Claim that you've tried numerous power supplies on it.

Tier 1 tech supports just read from scripts, so work it from their angle. These people don't even get to see what you sent them.

Blackheim

Beowulf28 said:
Looks like you have a dead MB. You should return that new PSU and use the money to buy a new MB.

That's what I was afraid of, I guess the storm we had last night knocked it out even though my box is connected to a surge protector + the MB was supposed to have some surge protection qualities, ugh. Was hoping is was only the PSU. What MB would you suggest? Has to be AM2+/DDR2 compatible as I'd rather not have to do a major overhaul...

claviertekky said:
Tell ASUS that the mobo simply dead. Claim that you've tried numerous power supplies on it.

Tier 1 tech supports just read from scripts, so work it from their angle. These people don't even get to see what you sent them.

Well, I could try it, but they'll probably tell me to contact Newegg (as is popular amongst them if they find out you got from it there). I mean, I like their products but, damn their support people more often than not are awful and try to pass the buck to anyone that's not them.

Ashhong

You are still under warranty with Asus. I had to contact them about RMAing things after a year and they told me to send it in. It's not a big deal, just talk to them.

Ok, this is a recurring issue with my wife's laptop.

Usually the wifi works perfect at home and when she is at school. But for the second time in a few months, when she comes home it wont let her online with the wifi at home. It shows she is connected and the signal is strong, but it will not allow her "limited access only" when connected. We have turned on DCHP(or whatever it is called) for auto assigning an IP because that fixed it last time, but nothing works now. When using the ethernet port it works, but the wifi wont allow it.

We have scanned the whole system with Norton and Malwarebytes. We have tried a system restore to a previous state and those fail. WTF? Any clues?

Blackheim

Ashhong said:
You are still under warranty with Asus. I had to contact them about RMAing things after a year and they told me to send it in. It's not a big deal, just talk to them.

Thank you, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done. I'd rather pay shipping costs over the cost of a new MB. How long does it usually take for them to process the RMA and get your stuff back to you?

clav

PhoncipleBone said:
Ok, this is a recurring issue with my wife's laptop.

Usually the wifi works perfect at home and when she is at school. But for the second time in a few months, when she comes home it wont let her online with the wifi at home. It shows she is connected and the signal is strong, but it will not allow her "limited access only" when connected. We have turned on DCHP(or whatever it is called) for auto assigning an IP because that fixed it last time, but nothing works now. When using the ethernet port it works, but the wifi wont allow it.

We have scanned the whole system with Norton and Malwarebytes. We have tried a system restore to a previous state and those fail. WTF? Any clues?
Questions:

1. Do you use any Internet Security Suites? If you do, please name them.
2. What is the router you have at home?
3. What is your wife's wireless card?
4. Which Windows version is it?

Ashhong

Blackheim said:
Thank you, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done. I'd rather pay shipping costs over the cost of a new MB. How long does it usually take for them to process the RMA and get your stuff back to you?

Well for one, I had to live chat with them, don't think I saw the option to call IIRC. and 2, I never actually sent it in because it was a hassle and didn't want to, but I think he told me about a week turnaround time.

Blackheim

Ashhong said:
Well for one, I had to live chat with them, don't think I saw the option to call IIRC. and 2, I never actually sent it in because it was a hassle and didn't want to, but I think he told me about a week turnaround time.

Hah, I just called the Tech Support # in my owner's manual earlier. SEE, you didn't say all of that before :/ I thought that maybe I was just having bad experiences, but I see it gets around and is not uncommon. You popped my bubble of potential hope that something could actually be as simple as 1,2,3 and not have to go through a hassle :/

Edit: Feh, I decided to order a Biostar MB since it is pretty similar to the ASUS one I have/had for ~$60. As long as it's not DOA, I'll call this one a done deal.

claviertekky said:
Questions:

1. Do you use any Internet Security Suites? If you do, please name them.
2. What is the router you have at home?
3. What is your wife's wireless card?
4. Which Windows version is it?

1. Norton 360. Even when disabling it the issue persists.
2.Cisco Linksys...something. cant remember the model number. Only had it for a few weeks because our old netgear died.
3.Wife is using the built in wireless on her laptop, the Intel chip.
4. Vista

She finished a thorough scan in safe mode last night, but I was in bed before it was done. I am not sure if it was resolved yet or not.

Barrett2

Help! When i turned on my netbook, the image on the screen is oriented horizontally. It's as if my screen has been turned counter-clockwise 90 degrees. How do I get it normal!?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
lawblob said:
Help! When i turned on my netbook, the image on the screen is oriented horizontally. It's as if my screen has been turned counter-clockwise 90 degrees. How do I get it normal!?

It's been a while, but off the top of my head, try holding down Ctrl+Alt and tap the arrow keys until it gets the orientation back to normal.

Obviously, do this with all your windows minimized (on the desktop).

I have Windows 7. I have Java JRE6 that I believe I downloaded from Sun. I'm not a Java programmer. Every time I boot, a couple minutes after booting a security message pops up asking if I want to allow Java to update. Yes, fine, do your stupid update! I just don't want to be bothered about it.

So how do I either get it to auto-update silently, or stop trying to update? I'll take whichever is the smarter/safer option (i.e. if these updates are actually important, then I'd like to keep getting them). Thanks!

BreakyBoy said:
It's been a while, but off the top of my head, try holding down Ctrl+Alt and tap the arrow keys until it gets the orientation back to normal.

Obviously, do this with all your windows minimized (on the desktop).
P.S. This is also a fun prank to play in the workplace :lol

NH Apache

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
2.Cisco Linksys...something. cant remember the model number. Only had it for a few weeks because our old netgear died.
3.Wife is using the built in wireless on her laptop, the Intel chip.
4. Vista

She finished a thorough scan in safe mode last night, but I was in bed before it was done. I am not sure if it was resolved yet or not.

I have a Cisco Linksys WRTG54G2 and it gave me nothing but BS. Try assigning a static IP. The problem with this is when she gets to work, she is going to have to switch back to a dynamic IP, or DHCP.

Have you tried the ipconfig command when it shows limited connectivity?

when connected, click windows button, type "cmd"

then "ipconfig /release"
Wait
Then "ipconfig /renew"

Makes the router re-assign the ip address. With limited connectivity, DHCP is usually the problem.

NH Apache said:
I have a Cisco Linksys WRTG54G2 and it gave me nothing but BS. Try assigning a static IP. The problem with this is when she gets to work, she is going to have to switch back to a dynamic IP, or DHCP.

Have you tried the ipconfig command when it shows limited connectivity?

when connected, click windows button, type "cmd"

then "ipconfig /release"
Wait
Then "ipconfig /renew"

Makes the router re-assign the ip address. With limited connectivity, DHCP is usually the problem.
After she finished the malwarebytes scan, everything was fine. We are not sure what happened. The last time was a router issue, which we replaced when it died suddenly.

I will keep this in mind if the issue arises again. Thank you.

NH Apache

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
After she finished the malwarebytes scan, everything was fine. We are not sure what happened. The last time was a router issue, which we replaced when it died suddenly.

I will keep this in mind if the issue arises again. Thank you.

Just curious: Did malwarebytes find anything?

NH Apache said:
Just curious: Did malwarebytes find anything?
Not sure. I went to bed while she was still scanning. I texted her during lunch and she said it worked fine. I will find out more info when she gets home in a few hours.

NH Apache

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Not sure. I went to bed while she was still scanning. I texted her during lunch and she said it worked fine. I will find out more info when she gets home in a few hours.

Glad the ghost in the machine fixed itself. Computers be crazy sometimes.

jmdajr

well not sure if anyone can help, but my ati 650 pro TV TUNER card records for about 15 minutes in windows media encoder and then the video just freezes and no longer records properly. All I can think is maybe it doesn't like my nvidia video card since technically windows vista cannot use both ati and nvidia cards. Has anyone had a similar issue? thanks to anyone who has any info.

I have an all in wonder (no nvidia cards) in an old xp machine and that records for hours just fine without any hiccups.

clav

PhoncipleBone said:
There are two factors that could be hurting you here:

1. Security Software
2. Wireless card + router don't like each other.

I remember that security suite software bundles (antivirus + firewall together) usually gave Vista a lot of issues for TCP/IP connections as Vista rewrote the stack completely.

I really hope you didn't pay for it as the free antivirus available these days completely satisfy any Windows user's requirement for AV and Firewall. Has this been happening for quite a while?

Disabling Norton doesn't stop its bundled firewall. It's still installed in the registry which does cause issues.

I strongly suggest you to uninstall Norton 360 using the built-in uninstaller from Windows and then afterward run the Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Install a different AV software, preferably one without a firewall protection program. I find the built-in firewall in Vista is good enough for regular users.

I find the official Microsoft one is decent: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Only install this when you have removed Norton with the Removal Tool.

Usually this cleans up a lot of cases I've seen. However, if it still happens, since you can't tell me what router and wireless card you have (Intel makes quite a few), then it's probably this problem, too.

Parallax Scroll said:
I have Windows 7. I have Java JRE6 that I believe I downloaded from Sun. I'm not a Java programmer. Every time I boot, a couple minutes after booting a security message pops up asking if I want to allow Java to update. Yes, fine, do your stupid update! I just don't want to be bothered about it.

So how do I either get it to auto-update silently, or stop trying to update? I'll take whichever is the smarter/safer option (i.e. if these updates are actually important, then I'd like to keep getting them). Thanks!

Java will budge its way for an update always, and yes they are important. A lot of malware has spreaded through old versions of Java (i.e. Vundo).

You technically don't need Java to use your computer, but some web applications do use Java.

jmdajr said:
well not sure if anyone can help, but my ati 650 pro TV TUNER card records for about 15 minutes in windows media encoder and then the video just freezes and no longer records properly. All I can think is maybe it doesn't like my nvidia video card since technically windows vista cannot use both ati and nvidia cards. Has anyone had a similar issue? thanks to anyone who has any info.

I have an all in wonder (no nvidia cards) in an old xp machine and that records for hours just fine without any hiccups.

Sounds software related. Are you trying to record in Windows Media Center? Although WMC is great, sometimes it's not optimized for certain cards.

If that's it, then you probably need to use an alternative recorder, or update the driver on your ATi card.

I thought TV tuners are only input cards, not output cards.

Java will budge its way for an update always, and yes they are important. A lot of malware has spreaded through old versions of Java (i.e. Vundo).

You technically don't need Java to use your computer, but some web applications do use Java.
I can't just make it auto-approve those updates? Like setting Java as a trusted app or something?

So apparently the wireless DID NOT work at home this morning for her. Malwarebytes found nothing with a complete scan while in safe mode. We just uninstalled Norton and still cannot connect.

Ok, Router is Cisco Linksys E1000
Wireless card is Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100

There have not been ANY issues for the last month that we have had the router. She has been able to log on fine with no issues. Suddenly last night, it just stops working. No matter what we tried, it still wont connect wirelessly at home, but her school connection works perfectly. Even using the USB setup key that we made with the router installation does not connect to it.

I have had no issues logging into the router on my iMac, iPad, 360, or Wii.

clav

PhoncipleBone said:
So apparently the wireless DID NOT work at home this morning for her. Malwarebytes found nothing with a complete scan while in safe mode. We just uninstalled Norton and still cannot connect.

There have not been ANY issues for the last month that we have had the router. She has been able to log on fine with no issues. Suddenly last night, it just stops working. No matter what we tried, it still wont connect wirelessly at home, but her school connection works perfectly. Even using the USB setup key that we made with the router installation does not connect to it.

Did you use the removal tool? That's key otherwise the traditional uninstall will leave a lot of traces behind.

Just run it. Download the removal tool separate on another computer and run it via USB. Please do this.

Parallax Scroll said:
I can't just make it auto-approve those updates? Like setting Java as a trusted app or something?

I don't believe so since updates/system changes usually require admin approval to do. You can just uninstall Java all together if you feel you don't use it at all.

PhoncipleBone said:

Try a different WiFi channel. I've had similar issue before and it's nothing to do with any malware/virus mumbo. Also, try to plug in a USB Wifi Adapter and see what happens

Meus Renaissance said:
Try a different WiFi channel. I've had similar issue before and it's nothing to do with any malware/virus mumbo. Also, try to plug in a USB Wifi Adapter and see what happens
We have no USB wifi adapter. And the fact that her wireless works fine at school and was perfect here without either of us changing anything just drives me nuts. Well, drives her nuts. My computer has been fine.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't know if router support counts, but here it goes (I posted this same thing in an old router thread but no one responded). :p

Anyways, I have a Linksys WRT54G2 v1.5 router (yes, I have the latest firmwire on it) and for the past few months, I've been having a weird and reaccuring issue with it where it'll just randomly stop working/disconnect me from the internet, however, I can still stay logged in and chat with other people on Windows Live Messanger and go on YouTube, but if I attempt to go on other websites, log into Xbox LIVE or do ANYTHING else that requires an internet connection, it'll say I'm not connected to the internet. What's even more strange is that the router itself doesn't display that it's not connected (the lights and indicators on the hardware itself make it look like everything is normal).

What's also strange is that this problem always happens overnight while I'm sleeping so I have to reset my router every single time I wake up in the morning. It's as if the router will disconnect me from the internet if I'm not actively using my connection/surfing the web/using Xbox LIVE.

I did try resetting my modem instead of my router to see if my connection itself was the problem, but it's not.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop, btw, if that helps or matters.

NH Apache

Banned
Domino Theory said:
I don't know if router support counts, but here it goes (I posted this same thing in an old router thread but no one responded). :p

Anyways, I have a Linksys WRT54G2 v1.5 router (yes, I have the latest firmwire on it) and for the past few months, I've been having a weird and reaccuring issue with it where it'll just randomly stop working/disconnect me from the internet, however, I can still stay logged in and chat with other people on Windows Live Messanger and go on YouTube, but if I attempt to go on other websites, log into Xbox LIVE or do ANYTHING else that requires an internet connection, it'll say I'm not connected to the internet. What's even more strange is that the router itself doesn't display that it's not connected (the lights and indicators on the hardware itself make it look like everything is normal).

What's also strange is that this problem always happens overnight while I'm sleeping so I have to reset my router every single time I wake up in the morning. It's as if the router will disconnect me from the internet if I'm not actively using my connection/surfing the web/using Xbox LIVE.

I did try resetting my modem instead of my router to see if my connection itself was the problem, but it's not.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop, btw, if that helps or matters.

I have the same fucking router and the same freaking problem. The router is a POS, IMO

claviertekky said:
I don't believe so since updates/system changes usually require admin approval to do. You can just uninstall Java all together if you feel you don't use it at all.
Eclipse probably wouldn't run too good if I did that. :lol

Top Bottom