• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Somnid

I got one that's been bothering me. So every time I start up my computer it starts in 1200x1920 instead of the native 1600x2560 of my monitor and I have to manually set it. The exception is that usually after installing Windows updates the resolution sticks for the next startup. Anyone know why it wouldn't be keeping that setting or if there's an easy way to force it on startup?

Ok, this has been a problem affecting me for almost 6 months. My router, a linksys WRT160N v2, cannot connect to its own setup page. I try to type in its own ip adress (which somehow changed by itself from the defauly to 10.2.2.1). I have tried all of the different ways to change it in the run dialoge box from tips on the internet and I have reset it multiple times. Now all I have is a router page that cant be accessed without any sort of encryption protection. Hopefully someone knows of a fix or something to help me out

Somnid said:
I got one that's been bothering me. So every time I start up my computer it starts in 1200x1920 instead of the native 1600x2560 of my monitor and I have to manually set it. The exception is that usually after installing Windows updates the resolution sticks for the next startup. Anyone know why it wouldn't be keeping that setting or if there's an easy way to force it on startup?

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Make sure you have up to date drivers for your video card. Also may want to take a look into your monitor drivers.

MNC

I never can install W7 x64 service pack 1. I always get the same error. What am I doing wrong? It downloads and installs halfway, then gives me an error.

Errorcode: 8024200D

oc

peanutbutterchocolate

clav

MNC said:
I never can install W7 x64 service pack 1. I always get the same error. What am I doing wrong? It downloads and installs halfway, then gives me an error.

Errorcode: 8024200D
Run this tool and tell me what happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

I was reading someone got this error using both Windows Update and the manual .exe SP1 download.

justin12140 said:
Ok, this has been a problem affecting me for almost 6 months. My router, a linksys WRT160N v2, cannot connect to its own setup page. I try to type in its own ip adress (which somehow changed by itself from the defauly to 10.2.2.1). I have tried all of the different ways to change it in the run dialoge box from tips on the internet and I have reset it multiple times. Now all I have is a router page that cant be accessed without any sort of encryption protection. Hopefully someone knows of a fix or something to help me out

Hold the reset button. This will clear your router to default settings.

Connect to the router using an ethernet cable and try to access that page via browser.

If I were you, I would get a new router, one that runs Tomato (USB).

WRT160N v2 sucks.

claviertekky said:
Hold the reset button. This will clear your router to default settings.

Connect to the router using an ethernet cable and try to access that page via browser.

If I were you, I would get a new router, one that runs Tomato (USB).

WRT160N v2 sucks.
I've already hard-reset multiple times and none have worked. Maybe in the future i'll get a new one, but currently I just wanna try to get this one to work again

clav

justin12140 said:
I've already hard-reset multiple times and none have worked. Maybe in the future i'll get a new one, but currently I just wanna try to get this one to work again

What's the current local IP you're obtaining from your router right now?

cmd (command prompt) -> ipconfig

Or for mac os x/linux

console -> ifconfig

----------------

If it's 192.168.X.Y. where X (usually 1) and Y are different numbers, then do the following

Connect the computer via ethernet. Turn off wireless.

Assign the wired network card a manual IP.

Something like 192.168.X.23 where X matches your router's gateway corresponding #
With a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Leave everything else blank and DNS automatic.

Are you sure your router page isn't 192.168.1.1?

TheOGB

Banned
Okay TechGAF, let's see if you can help me.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit SP1. Over a month ago (around April 17 or 18; before I upgraded to SP1) my sound stopped working. The volume icon in the taskbar has a red 'X' on it (figure 1) and hovering over it gives the message "No speakers or headphones are plugged in." When I click it Windows tries to detect the problem, but to no avail.

Going into the Device Manager shows that I have one audio device (ATI High Definition Audio Device). Under 'Other devices' there is a "PCI Serial Port" that has a yellow exclamation point on it (figure 2). Googling the problem led me to Intel's website to use their Driver Update Utility (I have a DQ45CB board) and the results show that my audio driver is outdated. So I downloaded the newest SoundMAX driver from Intel's website and unzipped it onto my desktop. It started the installer but then I got this message.

Why isn't this working? There's an option for Analog Devices on the side when installing through the Device Manager, but all three of those options don't seem to be working either.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Help GAF,

My HD 4870 is averaging 100c+ (fan is not working) now the place where I bought it say they want my PC for 2-3 weeks because they'll be sending my GPU to be fixed...i.e not replacing it even though I have told them it's probably been averaging this temp for the past 2-3 months since it started giving me issues.

Now I want a replacement for it so what cards are out that are equal to or slightly more better than the 4870 that are compatible with my motherboard a M4A785TD-V EVO?

Thanks...

Blackheim

claviertekky said:
What motherboard are you using?

If also, do you use a sound-card add-on?

Clavier, from Rift? (If so, HI!)

F#A#Oo said:
Now I want a replacement for it so what cards are out that are equal to or slightly more better than the 4870 that are compatible with my motherboard a M4A785TD-V EVO?

Thanks...

I think the 5770 is more or less around the same performance if I'm not mistaken, a tad better I imagine.

Newegg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone know where I can find some laptop DDR, 512mb or 1gb for a good price?

A friend gave me his old dead laptop, and I figured out its just dead ram, I used my other laptop's temporarily.

So I need to throw in about 1GB to get it back on its feet, then give it away. Likely to our friends' daughter who is 7 and needs her own laptop/computer to bang on and start learning.

Anyone have an old stick or two lying around? Willing to pay a modest amount, nothing crazy. Help me GAF, help me do a good deed.

ZeroRay

I bought a new laptop today, tried installing drivers for the ATI 5470M and the system crashed. Couldn't access catalyst anymore so I did a system restore.

Any way I can install those drivers so my PC won't crash?

Edit: nvm just installed drivers from manufacturer.

My Explorer keeps crashing. I've had this problem for several months.

The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7601.17567 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 92c
Start Time: 01cc2033ead5cbde
Termination Time: 0
Application Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Report Id: 193ba864-8e06-11e0-a1ea-0016b6536d85

When this happens, explorer.exe is using 25% CPU

f0nz0

id figure id post again as i cant for the life of me figure out what else to do with this virus/malware/weird situation,

HP MINI 311
Win XP

ok so heres the deal:

- Takes wayyyyyyy to long to boot up, (hangs for a long time on the "Windows is starting up" screen) eventually goes to desktop.

- When finally on desktop, the windows taskbar is hidden (like when you click and drag the taskbar below the visible screen so you just get to see the very top of it) and when i try to click and drag it up to see the whole task bar, nothing happens.

- i have the NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM/ RPC shutdown timer show up on screen, i can delay it by running "shutdown -a" but only temporarily

- My networking does not work, i cant connect via wifi or wired to any network

- When booting into SAFE MODE, the shutdown timer still occurs

- When booting into SAFE MODE with NETWORKING i still CANT access any networks

- none of my usb ports seem to work, i cant load any antivirus or malware cleaners

- finally when the computer shuts down, it takes a loooooong time to completly turn off, it hangs on the "saving your settings" screen for minutes

im at a loss here, anybody experience anything similar?

clav

f0nz0 said:
id figure id post again as i cant for the life of me figure out what else to do with this virus/malware/weird situation,

HP MINI 311
Win XP

ok so heres the deal:

- Takes wayyyyyyy to long to boot up, (hangs for a long time on the "Windows is starting up" screen) eventually goes to desktop.

- When finally on desktop, the windows taskbar is hidden (like when you click and drag the taskbar below the visible screen so you just get to see the very top of it) and when i try to click and drag it up to see the whole task bar, nothing happens.

- i have the NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM/ RPC shutdown timer show up on screen, i can delay it by running "shutdown -a" but only temporarily

- My networking does not work, i cant connect via wifi or wired to any network

- When booting into SAFE MODE, the shutdown timer still occurs

- When booting into SAFE MODE with NETWORKING i still CANT access any networks

- none of my usb ports seem to work, i cant load any antivirus or malware cleaners

- finally when the computer shuts down, it takes a loooooong time to completly turn off, it hangs on the "saving your settings" screen for minutes

im at a loss here, anybody experience anything similar?

I'll tell you how I would approach this.

On another computer, download combofix.exe.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Scroll down to the part where it says:
  • BleepingComputer.com
  • InfoSpyware.net

to download it. Copy it to the USB flash drive.

edit: Oh, since you USB ports don't work through normal/safe mode, you might need a copy of Ubuntu on USB and download combofix.exe to your C drive through Ubuntu USB. Then do the below.

Load your netbook in safe mode.

------------------------

When the countdown appears, do EITHER of the following:

1. If you have the taskbar available, double click time to change it change the time and push it forward earlier one year (2011 -> 2010). This will add an year to the countdown.

2. If you can't access the taskbar, ctrl alt del (or ctrl shift esc) to launch task manager. Launch a new process (file -> new process) called "cmd" (without quotes).

Type date. Change the date from today to one year ago (06-03-2010).

--------------------

Copy combofix.exe to the C:\ Drive.

Launch combofix from C:\.

Let it do its magic and combofix will eventually reboot your computer to normal mode.

Run an updated copy of malwarebytes and do a full scan.

Report back when this is done or if you have attempted this and need additional help.

Meus Renaissance said:
My Explorer keeps crashing. I've had this problem for several months.

The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7601.17567 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 92c
Start Time: 01cc2033ead5cbde
Termination Time: 0
Application Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Report Id: 193ba864-8e06-11e0-a1ea-0016b6536d85

When this happens, explorer.exe is using 25% CPU

Operating system? Looks like Windows 7 (6.1).

Updates?

Third party add-ons?

AndyD said:
Anyone know where I can find some laptop DDR, 512mb or 1gb for a good price?

A friend gave me his old dead laptop, and I figured out its just dead ram, I used my other laptop's temporarily.

So I need to throw in about 1GB to get it back on its feet, then give it away. Likely to our friends' daughter who is 7 and needs her own laptop/computer to bang on and start learning.

Anyone have an old stick or two lying around? Willing to pay a modest amount, nothing crazy. Help me GAF, help me do a good deed.

I do have an old stick, but I'm not sure if it works. DDR1 you say?

Are you sure it's a RAM problem?

claviertekky said:
Operating system? Looks like Windows 7 (6.1).

Updates?

Third party add-ons?

The most significant is the K-lite codec pack. I've had that for at least two years though and have never had an issue like this until the last few months. Installed latest updates of Windows.

clav

Meus Renaissance said:
The most significant is the K-lite codec pack. I've had that for at least two years though and have never had an issue like this until the last few months. Installed latest updates of Windows.
If any codec pack, I only suggest the http://www.cccp-project.net/ . Otherweise, use VLC or CoreAVC.

Might be a superstition, but I never was a fan of K-Lite.

Hm. Aside from a reformat (or uninstall, try that first) and use the above, I don't know what to say.

Running Windows 7 32-bit and tried to do this modified iTunes install:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-unofficial-guide-to-installing-itunes-10-without-bloatware/2390

I'm planning to use iTunes to interface with a Nano, so I only used these commands:

• AppleApplicationSupport.msi /passive
  • Quicktime.msi /passive
  • iTunes.msi /passive
It installed Quicktime and the Application Support, but although it asks permission to install the iTunes, I don't find it anywhere. Tried twice, with restarts in between (I used ccleaner to uninstall QT and the Support and then ran all 3 commands again.)

Anyone else try it?

clav

parrotbeak said:
Running Windows 7 32-bit and tried to do this modified iTunes install:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-unofficial-guide-to-installing-itunes-10-without-bloatware/2390

I'm planning to use iTunes to interface with a Nano, so I only used these commands:

• AppleApplicationSupport.msi /passive
  • Quicktime.msi /passive
  • iTunes.msi /passive
It installed Quicktime and the Application Support, but although it asks permission to install the iTunes, I don't find it anywhere. Tried twice, with restarts in between (I used ccleaner to uninstall QT and the Support and then ran all 3 commands again.)

Anyone else try it?
Execute the commands in elevated admin mode in command prompt(Click windows logo, type cmd, and hold "ctrl shift" and press enter.)

Navigate to that directory where you have those three msis and try again.

Otherwise, just install iTunes normally. Not much you can do or use it under Mac OS X.

Samara

Guys, Im wondering, I mostly let me PC on "sleep" for days. Ok, and my PC has been extremely slow since April.On many occasion my WMP, Firefox, or Googlechrome just freezes...so is it not turning it off or firefox/googlechrome. And Avast says it has no virus, so I just dont know.

claviertekky said:
Execute the commands in elevated admin mode in command prompt(Click windows logo, type cmd, and hold "ctrl shift" and press enter.)

Navigate to that directory where you have those three msis and try again.

Otherwise, just install iTunes normally. Not much you can do or use it under Mac OS X.
Thanks but that didn't work either. The original instructions worked on my work computer though, so I guess I'll just use it there. This thing has way more space than I'll ever fill up so I can just spend a weekend setting it up at work and I'll be good for a long time.

MrBig

Samara said:
Guys, Im wondering, I mostly let me PC on "sleep" for days. Ok, and my PC has been extremely slow since April.On many occasion my WMP, Firefox, or Googlechrome just freezes...so is it not turning it off or firefox/googlechrome. And Avast says it has no virus, so I just dont know.
If you're going to be leaving you comp on for such an extended amount of time I would at least recommend closing out firefox and everything else and running CCleaner to clear out the cache every once and a while. And use Hibernate instead of sleep if you are on W7.

This morning I haven't been able to play any audio from my HDD, but plays fine streaming from websites. It seems to be an issue not affecting just me as well. (Win7)

Cyrillus

Alright tech support-GAF, I have an issue that has sprung up.

I have two routers set up on my home network:

Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware, primary router with the cable modem hooked up to this.

and

Microsoft MN-100, set up in bridge mode.

Now, the problem arose today when I was setting up a spare computer with Ubuntu. I've been using this network set up for months, with my PC and Xbox360 in my room with the MN-100, both hooked to it, and have used both devices simultaneously with no problems.

However, hooking up the Ubuntu box today, I noticed something odd. If I am trying to access the internet on my main PC while downloading updates on the Ubuntu box, both will experience massive slowdowns in network transfer, and intermittent timeouts.

I did a quick google search to see what the issue was, but honestly I'm not even sure what to call this issue, and looking up multiple routers or nested routers just leads to people troubleshooting DHCP issues.

To be clear, I'm not talking about downloading torrents on multiple PCs, I'm talking about downloading ubuntu updates @~250KB/s while trying to load a thread on GAF.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Quacking

It's like two weeks that my skype keeps crash sometimes, I can't figure out why and I can't give so much details. It happens the more of the times when I copypaste something though.

Just built a new PC and I now have my external hard drive plugged in via eSATA. Every time the drive starts to "sleep" (shut itself off when not used), my computer freezes for about half a second (music, mouse cursor, everything). It's a little annoying. I've googled a bunch but nothing really similar to my problem.

Joe

I have my Xbox wire connected to my laptop which is connected through WiFi.

To do this I had to right-click on my wireless connection and "allow other users to share internet connection" or something to that effect.

But since I have done this, my internet speeds on the Xbox and laptop have been junk. Is there any way to fix this?

clav

Meus Renaissance said:
This morning I haven't been able to play any audio from my HDD, but plays fine streaming from websites. It seems to be an issue not affecting just me as well. (Win7)
Tried a reboot?

See what's your default player device in your sound settings. Right click the lower right corner speaker icon and select Playback devices. See which default device is the sound coming from. Reboot again if you need to do so.

Cyrillus said:
Alright tech support-GAF, I have an issue that has sprung up.

I have two routers set up on my home network:

Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware, primary router with the cable modem hooked up to this.

and

Microsoft MN-100, set up in bridge mode.

Now, the problem arose today when I was setting up a spare computer with Ubuntu. I've been using this network set up for months, with my PC and Xbox360 in my room with the MN-100, both hooked to it, and have used both devices simultaneously with no problems.

However, hooking up the Ubuntu box today, I noticed something odd. If I am trying to access the internet on my main PC while downloading updates on the Ubuntu box, both will experience massive slowdowns in network transfer, and intermittent timeouts.

I did a quick google search to see what the issue was, but honestly I'm not even sure what to call this issue, and looking up multiple routers or nested routers just leads to people troubleshooting DHCP issues.

To be clear, I'm not talking about downloading torrents on multiple PCs, I'm talking about downloading ubuntu updates @~250KB/s while trying to load a thread on GAF.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You'll need to set up QoS on your router. However, QoS really sucks on DD-WRT, and I only suggest it for Tomato.

If you can, upgrade to Tomato, but please double check if your router can support it as there are like 8 or 9 different versions of the WRT54G. The specs differ from model to model.

Once in Tomato, enter your bandwidth (go to speedtest.net and multiply the download/upload speeds by 1000) and enter those numbers in accordingly in the QoS section. Next, you'll have to filter out traffic, so you'll need to learn some port #s and how much percentage of the bandwidth they can use.

Off the top of my head:

443: HTTPS
80/8080: HTTP
21: FTP
22: SSH
23: Telnet

You probably only need to set the first three and the Xbox Live ports, which I do not remember. Go search for them.

Quacking said:
It's like two weeks that my skype keeps crash sometimes, I can't figure out why and I can't give so much details. It happens the more of the times when I copypaste something though.

There was some problem with the Skype servers earlier this week. If you're talking about the program, then uninstall and delete all settings. Reinstall.

MRORANGE said:
Is CHKDSK into cmd a good way to see if your HDD is faulty?

Not really. Chkdsk just fixes any lost orphaned file fragments and puts them on the disk labeled as FOUND.000 and so on.

If you want to check your hard disk, you can use HD Tune or SpeedFan (recommended). Speedfan analyze your current hard drive values and compare them to see if they are within tolerance.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Click download and the SpeedFan version # clickable link.

I should note that if you constantly see Windows asking chkdsk like for every bootup, you most likely have a bad sector on your hard drive, and the hard drive controller is still in the process of determining to mark it "never to use again".

close to the edge said:
Just built a new PC and I now have my external hard drive plugged in via eSATA. Every time the drive starts to "sleep" (shut itself off when not used), my computer freezes for about half a second (music, mouse cursor, everything). It's a little annoying. I've googled a bunch but nothing really similar to my problem.

What are your new PC specs? Did you install the chipset driver? Is it in AHCI mode?

At least post back specs. It sounds like your computer freezes for a second because of the hotswap process you're doing for SATA.

Joe said:
I have my Xbox wire connected to my laptop which is connected through WiFi.

To do this I had to right-click on my wireless connection and "allow other users to share internet connection" or something to that effect.

But since I have done this, my internet speeds on the Xbox and laptop have been junk. Is there any way to fix this?

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) was the way of the XP. For me, I use bridging as ICS screws up the NAT table.

First undo the "allow other users to share internet connection" first. Basically, bring it back to the way it is before you had your Xbox wired.

Next, while holding ctrl on the keyboard, select both the LAN connection your Xbox is connected and your wireless connection, right click, and select Bridge. This should create a new connection profile icon among your wireless and wired connection icons.

Nemesis_

Hey guys, need some help urgently.

A friend of mine has downloaded a file from her email address, it was a word document. She clicked open instead of "save to" or whatever the problem is.

We're at Uni and she has saved the file and closed it, but since we clicked "open" it's assumedly sitting in the temp files folder somewhere and updated on the system, but we can't find it at all.

Is there any way to recover the file? Using the search function of windows, we can't really find it.

The network computers here use Windows XP

Cheers in advance!
=)

clav

Nemesis556 said:

A friend of mine has downloaded a file from her email address, it was a word document. She clicked open instead of "save to" or whatever the problem is.

We're at Uni and she has saved the file and closed it, but since we clicked "open" it's assumedly sitting in the temp files folder somewhere and updated on the system, but we can't find it at all.

Is there any way to recover the file? Using the search function of windows, we can't really find it.

Cheers in advance!
=)
Open up your Windows Explorer (File Manager) or Internet Explorer.

In the address bar, type %temp%

This will lead you directly to the temp folder (which should be emptied out on a day to day basis). If it's not there, then it's gone or your admin has put the temp folder for users somewhere else.

Also, you can try opening up Word and see what files have been opened recently. Just hit open or look in the File menu before the Exit button.

clav

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, it's completely vanished. For some reason it's not appearing anywhere. So annoying. =/
Did she log out of the computer before trying to find it again?

Usually universities set a policy to clear out temp every time the user logs out.

Nemesis_

claviertekky said:
Did she log out of the computer before trying to find it again?

Usually universities set a policy to clear out temp every time the user logs out.

Nope, that's what's really weird! =/ We've looked in every single folder EVER to find it. I think it's definitely gone. =/

clav

Nemesis556 said:
Nope, that's what's really weird! =/ We've looked in every single folder EVER to find it. I think it's definitely gone. =/
Well, there's one last thing you can try, but I don't know if you have admin privileges.

Normally, I would suggest Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva), but I doubt you can install a program in limited user mode, so we'll try the next best thing.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.HTML

See if you can run that. Search for .DOC files and see if it'll find it.

If it does find it, copy the "recovered" file to a USB disk for best results.

Nemesis556 said:

Cheers in advance!
=)

Is it in the History part of Word?

claviertekky said:
What are your new PC specs? Did you install the chipset driver? Is it in AHCI mode?

At least post back specs. It sounds like your computer freezes for a second because of the hotswap process you're doing for SATA.
Oh, totally forgot posting specs, here you go:
Asus P8P67 Pro
Intel Core i5 2500k
GeForce 560 Ti
The hard drive in question is a LaCie d2 Quadra with 1 TB. I installed chipset drivers (also the drivers for the eSATA controller, which was separate). If it helps, I'm currently on Linux on the same PC and it doesn't freeze. (the drive is mounted as well) It seems I have to go into the BIOS to check if my drive is in AHCI mode, will do this and post the results.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So, I have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G. It's currently on FW 4.0.1, but the performance is terrible -- quite laggy. Is there a FW that is better?

Binabik15

My mother expects a notebook in the mail soon, hopefully today.

Everybody always says it´s important to fully load, discharge, load, discharge etc rechareable batteries in the beginning. But how can you do that with a laptop battery? My laptop shuts down automatically when there´s ~7% charge left, so I never did the whole completly discharge thing. Now with GAF´s technological understanding on my side, I thought I might help her to take better care of her stuff than I did.

So, do you need to do all that for Li-Ions, if yes, how?

The only thing you should avoid is fully discharging the batteries.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Is Gaf fucking up for anyone else, mines been doing it for months. Delete all cache and shit and it works ok for a bit but then its gets completely fucked again, have to refresh 2-3 times to get shit open.

I dunno.

accx

hateradio said:
So, I have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G. It's currently on FW 4.0.1, but the performance is terrible -- quite laggy. Is there a FW that is better?

I haven't tried the later versions of 4.x.x so i wouldn't know if they perform any better (most likely not), so your only option is to downgrade to 3.1.x.
The only problem then is that you can't use/buy any apps.

Yes, Apple blows.

RustyO

Dear TechSupportGAF,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my XBox360 to talk with my laptop. I've got the XNA Creators Club on the XBox, and Visual Studio 2010 on the laptop, so want to try publishing some games onto the XBox for testing.

I've downloaded XNA Creators Club on the XBox.

When I run "XNA Game Studio Connect" from my library, it gives me a code to input onto my laptop, in the 'XNA Game Studio Device Center' application.

It then spends a bit of time searching, 'testing the connectivity' before returning the error message:

Initiated search on the local subnet for your Xbox 360 using the connection key you typed.

No response from your Xbox 360 (Rusty). Please make sure you typed the connection key exactly as it appears on the Xbox 360 console, that the Xbox 360 console is properly connected to your local subnet, and that the Xbox 360 console is waiting for a connection at the "XNA Game Studio Connect" screen.

Turns out my wired XBox360 won't communicate with my wireless laptop. Once I plugged the laptop in via a cable, voila.

I'll leave this post here for future reference / in case anyone else has a similiar problem.

Top Bottom