• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

clav

Zoe said:
Dell Precision T1500 with on-board DVI
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 with 2 HDMI

Is there any hope for using three monitors?
I'm going to guess the T1500 onboard DVI's from an integrated card, which is turned off when a dedicated graphics card (Nvidia Quadro NVS 295) is plugged in.

According to Nvidia's website, it says:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_nvs_295_us.html

Drive up to two 30” digital display panels from small form factor (SFF) systems
Support up to two 30” (2560x1600) digital displays through dual DisplayPort connectors on a low profile card with fanless cooling solution.

No.

ChoklitReign said:
I installed KDE in Ubuntu with the Kubuntu Plasma Desktop system (via Software Center) and the taskbar in KDE is messed up. I've been tweaking it for days now without many improvements. I hate how the app bar is crunched to the side and how much room the virtual desktops, a.k.a. workstations, take up. I can't even rename the workstations! The last big problem is how windows, regardless of their natural size, take up the whole screen, so it looks weird.

This is what my desktop look like:
http://i.imgur.com/GmlEN.png

And this is what it should look like:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/images/kdelucidthumb08.png

What are my options?

Install KUbuntu as opposed to installing KDE from Ubuntu.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

If you want a second opinion, ask in the Linux forum: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395852

What's the longest I can run an ethernet cable without running into any problems?

Want to use a wired connection for my pc, and I'm moving my 360 to where my computer is. I have a 75 foot cable, anyone forsee any problems?

clav

Notrollious said:
What's the longest I can run an ethernet cable without running into any problems?

Want to use a wired connection for my pc, and I'm moving my 360 to where my computer is. I have a 75 foot cable, anyone forsee any problems?
By definition, the maximum ethernet cable length is 100 meters long.

75 feet = 22.86 meters

You're good.

Hello!

My LCD monitor has been acting really weird for the last week or 2. I turn it on and the blue light just blinks and blinks for a good 3 minutes or longer, before I even see the brand name splash screen show up. Once that shows, I don't have a problem until I turn the monitor back off.

The plug and connection to my PC are secure, and I even switched the port on my video card. Even if my computer is off, it still struggles to turn on and show that splash screen.

So what I'd like to ask is...Is my monitor about to die? If not, and you know how to fix, I'd love you forever! I really don't think I can afford a new $200+ monitor right now.

EDIT*

I did some testing with another pc and now it works fine. /shrug

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Hey GAF,

Whenever I try to stream "HD" video, it looks like this:

ru5m6b.jpg

It's also often mostly green, but not for this video here.

This includes 360p on Youtube. If I bump the stream down to 240p, or just SD as on GameTrailers, it plays fine. However if I download the 720p video it plays totally fine. I've tried it with Firefox and IE and they both have the problem.

Help?

I've googled this and couldn't find anything:

I'm In japan, my windows xp is cd is in America, can't find a cd of English xp here.

My registrary on windows xp has become non-working(unable to properly boot). I'm Able to boot to linux and see all my files/ the file structure is fine(reg snapshots are there) just window's can't boot.

Is there anyway using my windows 7 pc or the linux installation on this pc to restore the snapshot of the old reg so I can get windows working again?

Thanks!

ZeroRay

Emerson said:
Hey GAF,

http://i51.tinypic.com/ru5m6b.jpg[IMG]

This includes 360p on Youtube. If I bump the stream down to 240p, or just SD as on GameTrailers, it plays fine. However if I download the 720p video it plays totally fine. I've tried it with Firefox and IE and they both have the problem.

Help?[/QUOTE]

I get that problem in your pic occasionally, but all I do is reload the video and it's fine. Had the green screen issue once after my display driver stopped responding and came back.

Could be your video card and Flash aren't seeing eye to eye. Do you have an ATI card by any chance?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Reloading videos doesn't do it for me, it's pretty much every time.

But no, my laptop just has an integrated Intel HD graphics card.

So, motioninjoy and ds3 tool just crapped out for me it seems, from one day to the next.

Starting it, it takes forever to load, the menus are not responsive, the process stops responding, in the 'about' screen it no longer lists my driver version.

My pad isn't recognised anymore either.

The motioninjoy website is down too suddenly (what gives?) so downloading it again to reinstall doesn't seem to be an option.
Am I alone in this?

My 3rd (?) Gen 30G iPod Video will no longer sync/turn on. When I power it up, the apple icon shows up but then powers down shortly after. Also, when I try to plug it in and sync it to my computer, it does the same thing and I can't get it to stop syncing. It never makes it to the "home" screen, it always shuts off and then turns back on to the "syncing" screen, then turns back off and etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seda

An update on my juice drenched laptop. Drying out the components didn't work, but a cheap new keyboard fixed that issue and a use wifi adapter allows me to find internet signals again. It's a band-aid, but much better than buying a whole new computer.

Lkr

how can I check if there is anything wrong with my hard drive? I ran disk check within Windows and it said no problems were found. is that good enough?

Today my computer crashed while playing SC2; the screen froze, then I got weird colored bars on the screen that suggest a videocard problem. I turned the computer off and restarted; it came on fine with no problems, didn't notice weird noises, temps fine etc. But I notice when I look at embedded youtube videos, the title and time fonts are weirdly distorted

videocard-1.jpg

I have an older card, a Radeon HD 3870. I'm currently updating the drivers, so I'll be restarting the computer soon.

EDIT: After the restart I had the same problem. I searched around a bit online and read it looks like that in 16bit mode. So I went to Display and changed it back to 32bit. Anyone know why it would automatically change itself to 16bit?

S. L.

Emerson said:
Reloading videos doesn't do it for me, it's pretty much every time.

But no, my laptop just has an integrated Intel HD graphics card.
looks like a hardware acceleration bug to me, tried updating your graphic card drivers?

Erasus

Lkr said:
how can I check if there is anything wrong with my hard drive? I ran disk check within Windows and it said no problems were found. is that good enough?

No, have it run when you start the computer, dont run it in windows.

But yes, chkdsk is fine for error checking

Hey y'all.

My uncle got me a second-hand Marantz PM4001 Audio Receiver for my birthday. Works like a charm, except for one flaw. When I crank up the volume up 33% of it's max turning radius the audio cuts out and the mute starts blinking. This continues until I turn it off and on again. Is this some kind of speaker protection kicking in or is the receiver broken?

iNvid02

i have a few random problems i cant fix myself

1. devices and printers in windows 7 never shows up, it never loads. nothing seems to work
on a genuine version of win7 64bit with all updates etc. it doesn't affect me much but i want it to work, anyone fixed this problem?

2. the A button on my 360 pad suddenly feels hard to push down on, its at the same height as the other buttons so i dont think its dug down but it's as if something is underneath it which can't be. the hell is wrong with it

also please get a dropbox. im 1gb away from hitting the max free space, help me gaf

2Crisis

Hoping someone can help me out or verify what I think is a videocard related problem.

Just to get it out of the way, 64 bit win7 (phenomII x4 955) machine with a 512mb Radeon 4870 and 4gb of ddr3. This is the exact card I have.

Just recently, when playing games my machine has begun to hard crash and self-restart. This only happens when either playing a game full screen, or watching full screen video.
If I turn off hardware-acceleration in flash however, I'm able to watch stuff in full screen no problem. When just using windows, my machine is 100% stable. Temperatures on my card and machine are well within good ranges. The fan on it works fine.

I've tried different drivers, same thing. If I play a game full screen, it WILL eventually crash, but it's seemingly random as to when. This never used to happen with the exact same hardware, and I really can't afford a new video card right now. any ideas? :(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was going to make a new thread...but I might as well ask here first:

Is anyone else having problems with AT&T's U-Verse internet service tonight?

I can't seem to connect to the PlayStation Network, certain sites aren't working for me, pictures hosted on imgur aren't showing up for some reason, and there's a bunch of other issues going on tonight. I'm in California if that helps. I've already refreshed my broadband connection to see if that would do the trick as well as disconnecting my router and have had no luck resolving these issues. Everything was working 100% fine yesterday.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm having a whale of a time with trying to get a virus off my dad's laptop (running Win Vista Home Ultimate). He's got a fake antivirus thing that basically refuses to allow any application to open, claiming that the program is a threat, and asks if you want to turn on anti-virus protection. This happens even when booting the system in safe mode.

I downloaded Hiren's Boot CD and can get it to run mini WinXP from that disc, but it doesn't show the laptop's hard drive (only the virtual hard drives created by the boot CD), so I can't run any of the pre-loaded virus scanners on the HDD. Google is no help with this boot disc not displaying the hard drive.

I'm at my wit's end and would greatly appreciate some help. I obviously don't want to have to wipe the hard drive if I don't have to.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Zoe said:
^ I was getting a lot of blocking while watching TV last night.
I snooped around the internet after posting that and found out I wasn't the only one having issues last night. I'm checking things out right now before leaving for work and everything is back to normal. I wonder what's up with that?

TGMIII

zesty said:
I'm having a whale of a time with trying to get a virus off my dad's laptop (running Win Vista Home Ultimate). He's got a fake antivirus thing that basically refuses to allow any application to open, claiming that the program is a threat, and asks if you want to turn on anti-virus protection. This happens even when booting the system in safe mode.

I downloaded Hiren's Boot CD and can get it to run mini WinXP from that disc, but it doesn't show the laptop's hard drive (only the virtual hard drives created by the boot CD), so I can't run any of the pre-loaded virus scanners on the HDD. Google is no help with this boot disc not displaying the hard drive.

I'm at my wit's end and would greatly appreciate some help. I obviously don't want to have to wipe the hard drive if I don't have to.

I posted this in another thread but it should cover you all the same:

Do the following, you'll need access to another computer to be on the safe side:

Download, from another pc,Rkill,combofix and malwarebytes copy onto a clean usb thumb drive.
Boot PC into safe mode with networking and run rkill/combofix
Make sure malware-bytes is fully up to date.
Run Malware-bytes full scan.
Remove any infections found (none of the infections found SHOULD cause any operating system problems when removed)

Let's see how it goes from there. Here's a tutorial on how to use combofix.

snacknuts

we all knew her
awwyeahgurrl said:
I posted this in another thread but it should cover you all the same:

Do the following, you'll need access to another computer to be on the safe side:

Download, from another pc,Rkill,combofix and malwarebytes copy onto a clean usb thumb drive.
Boot PC into safe mode with networking and run rkill/combofix
Make sure malware-bytes is fully up to date.
Run Malware-bytes full scan.
Remove any infections found (none of the infections found SHOULD cause any operating system problems when removed)

Let's see how it goes from there. Here's a tutorial on how to use combofix.

We're not off to a good start:

2011-06-20_10-50-39_990.jpg

TGMIII

rename the program, try something like rkill.com. Also look at your processes and see which of them are using the most memory, under safe mode it should be easy to see which process name the virus is hiding under. Killing it should give you enough time to start rkill/combofix.

You could also just try running malwarebytes on it's own, you'll need to rename the mbam.exe to something like temp.exe to get it to run.

EDIT
From looking into this it seems to be "AntiVira Av" or some sort of variant of it. This blog should help you fully remove it.

clav

Zesty.

Just use Combofix and be over with it. While the rkill method is effective if you know what you're doing as that how I formally fixed things, tools like combofix and malwarebytes just make life easier in solving these kinds of problems.

Download: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix

Copy to flash disk.

Boot into Safe mode (Mash F8 key before scrolling green windows launch screen appears. Select Safe Mode.)

Copy combofix.exe to C:\ and launch from there.

Answer prompt. Let combofix do its magic before it boots back to normal user mode.

Download and update malwarebytes if it hasn't already and run a full scan.

pistolpete2940 said:
Just got an alert for a "trojan-bnk.win32.keylogger.gen" but mcafee doesn't actually find anything. None of the browsers are letting me online :(

Do the above. Also, don't use Mcafee as it doesn't find anything. A lot of people who release malware/viruses tests that their bugger doesn't work on common removal software (i.e. Symantec, Mcafee) first.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira as a free solution. ESET NOD32 if you want a paid solution.

Emerson said:
Hey GAF,

http://i51.tinypic.com/ru5m6b.jpg

Help?

Looks like Adobe and beta-like releases for Flash again.

If you want, you can disable the hardware acceleration to the video to alleviate the problem. Right click on a flash video and select Settings.

Click the lower left hand icon and uncheck the box "Enable hardware acceleration." Refresh the page or restart your computer.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I've googled this and couldn't find anything:

I'm In japan, my windows xp is cd is in America, can't find a cd of English xp here.

My registrary on windows xp has become non-working(unable to properly boot). I'm Able to boot to linux and see all my files/ the file structure is fine(reg snapshots are there) just window's can't boot.

Is there anyway using my windows 7 pc or the linux installation on this pc to restore the snapshot of the old reg so I can get windows working again?

Thanks!

Mmm, not likely. Your best bet is to upgrade to Vista then to 7.

If you have a Windows XP CD lying around, then you could run some commands like fixmbr and fixboot to see if those work.

silentcapybara said:
My 3rd (?) Gen 30G iPod Video will no longer sync/turn on. When I power it up, the apple icon shows up but then powers down shortly after. Also, when I try to plug it in and sync it to my computer, it does the same thing and I can't get it to stop syncing. It never makes it to the "home" screen, it always shuts off and then turns back on to the "syncing" screen, then turns back off and etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Either the battery is dead or the logic board that powers the battery is dead.

You could try a new battery if you want to go through the trouble that is.

I would, but I probably would not advise a commoner to do that as if the logic board is dead, then you just wasted money.

Go save money to buy a new iPod, Zune HD, or Zune Next.

Seda said:
An update on my juice drenched laptop. Drying out the components didn't work, but a cheap new keyboard fixed that issue and a use wifi adapter allows me to find internet signals again. It's a band-aid, but much better than buying a whole new computer.

Ah that sucks.

Did you actually end up replacing the keyboard or are you using USB?

Lkr said:

As people said already, chkdsk is fine although if you want to check the actually physical hardware, use a tool like SpeedFan that analyzes your hard disk core values and checks if everything works out OK.

PhoenixDark said:
Today my computer crashed while playing SC2; the screen froze, then I got weird colored bars on the screen that suggest a videocard problem. I turned the computer off and restarted; it came on fine with no problems, didn't notice weird noises, temps fine etc. But I notice when I look at embedded youtube videos, the title and time fonts are weirdly distorted

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/PhoenixDark1/videocard-1.jpg

I have an older card, a Radeon HD 3870. I'm currently updating the drivers, so I'll be restarting the computer soon.

EDIT: After the restart I had the same problem. I searched around a bit online and read it looks like that in 16bit mode. So I went to Display and changed it back to 32bit. Anyone know why it would automatically change itself to 16bit?

No idea. Old hardware and drivers would be my guess.

I notice video manufacturers aren't really doing a good job of QA'ing drivers that existed in the Vista era. They are updating those cards, but I'm not so sure if they're testing them properly.

Just some suspicion from me.

Banzaiaap said:
Hey y'all.

My uncle got me a second-hand Marantz PM4001 Audio Receiver for my birthday. Works like a charm, except for one flaw. When I crank up the volume up 33% of it's max turning radius the audio cuts out and the mute starts blinking. This continues until I turn it off and on again. Is this some kind of speaker protection kicking in or is the receiver broken?
Sounds like it's broken.

iNvidious01 said:
i have a few random problems i cant fix myself

1. devices and printers in windows 7 never shows up, it never loads. nothing seems to work
on a genuine version of win7 64bit with all updates etc. it doesn't affect me much but i want it to work, anyone fixed this problem?

2. the A button on my 360 pad suddenly feels hard to push down on, its at the same height as the other buttons so i dont think its dug down but it's as if something is underneath it which can't be. the hell is wrong with it

also please get a dropbox. im 1gb away from hitting the max free space, help me gaf

1. I wonder if creating a new user profile works. Are you in single user (admin, one profile) mode?

2. Did a crumb fall in there or something? Also it could just be that it worn out. If you want you can take it apart and check as there are guides online to do so.

3. Use Amazon Cloud if you need some more space and Sky Drive from Microsoft.

2Crisis said:
Hoping someone can help me out or verify what I think is a videocard related problem.

Just to get it out of the way, 64 bit win7 (phenomII x4 955) machine with a 512mb Radeon 4870 and 4gb of ddr3. This is the exact card I have.

Just recently, when playing games my machine has begun to hard crash and self-restart. This only happens when either playing a game full screen, or watching full screen video.
If I turn off hardware-acceleration in flash however, I'm able to watch stuff in full screen no problem. When just using windows, my machine is 100% stable. Temperatures on my card and machine are well within good ranges. The fan on it works fine.

I've tried different drivers, same thing. If I play a game full screen, it WILL eventually crash, but it's seemingly random as to when. This never used to happen with the exact same hardware, and I really can't afford a new video card right now. any ideas? :(

Check your RAM first.

Windows Memory Diagnostic is included in every copy of Windows 7 (and Vista I think). Type it in the Windows Icon (Start) menu and let the computer reboot to perform that task.

Zoe said:

It's all right although if you're buying a USB 2.0 drive which a lot of retail stores are clearing out for USB 3.0, the price should equal the price of an internal 2TB drive.

snacknuts

we all knew her
awwyeahgurrl said:
rename the program, try something like rkill.com. Also look at your processes and see which of them are using the most memory, under safe mode it should be easy to see which process name the virus is hiding under. Killing it should give you enough time to start rkill/combofix.

You could also just try running malwarebytes on it's own, you'll need to rename the mbam.exe to something like temp.exe to get it to run.

EDIT
From looking into this it seems to be "AntiVira Av" or some sort of variant of it. This blog should help you fully remove it.

Thanks, that HijackThis tutorial at that blog link seemed to do the trick. I'm running a system scan now (and not getting any messages from the virus in the process).

I had him running Avast for a long time and he never had any trouble. I switched him over to MS Security Essentials a couple weeks ago (after seeing so many GAFers recommend it in other threads) and this happens. As far as I am concerned, I am done with that program.

claviertekky said:
Zesty.

Just use Combofix and be over with it. While the rkill method is effective if you know what you're doing as that how I formally fixed things, tools like combofix and malwarebytes just make life easier in solving these kinds of problems.

Download: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix

Copy to flash disk.

Boot into Safe mode (Mash F8 key before scrolling green windows launch screen appears. Select Safe Mode.)

Copy combofix.exe to C:\ and launch from there.

Answer prompt. Let combofix do its magic before it boots back to normal user mode.

Download and update malwarebytes if it hasn't already and run a full scan.

Thanks for the help, but the problem I was having was that it wouldn't let me run any programs at all. I ended up having to rename MBAM's application file to iexplore.exe to trick the virus into letting it run.

clav

zesty said:
Thanks, that HijackThis tutorial at that blog link seemed to do the trick. I'm running a system scan now (and not getting any messages from the virus in the process).

I had him running Avast for a long time and he never had any trouble. I switched him over to MS Security Essentials a couple weeks ago (after seeing so many GAFers recommend it in other threads) and this happens. As far as I am concerned, I am done with that program.

Thanks for the help, but the problem I was having was that it wouldn't let me run any programs at all. I ended up having to rename MBAM's application file to iexplore.exe to trick the virus into letting it run.
Ah. Thanks for the update.

You could have probably done the same for Combofix's file.

Glad you solved it in the end.

TGMIII

zesty said:
I had him running Avast for a long time and he never had any trouble. I switched him over to MS Security Essentials a couple weeks ago (after seeing so many GAFers recommend it in other threads) and this happens. As far as I am concerned, I am done with that program

MS security essentials is a great program, I honestly don't see any reason to move away from it. Most likely the infection got in via a flash exploit as most of them do, I'd say he's either accidentally clicked on something or he's visited a site that haven't managed ads well. If you haven't already I'd stress the point that flash ALWAYS needs to be updated otherwise you're asking for something like this to happen.

snacknuts

we all knew her
awwyeahgurrl said:
MS security essentials is a great program, I honestly don't see any reason to move away from it. Most likely the infection got in via a flash exploit as most of them do, I'd say he's either accidentally clicked on something or he's visited a site that haven't managed ads well. If you haven't already I'd stress the point that flash ALWAYS needs to be updated otherwise you're asking for something like this to happen.

Hm, good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Futureman

My GF just bought an ASUS laptop from Best Buy and forgets the password she set. What can she do??

No Windows install DVD with the laptop, so how do I reinstall?

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
My GF just bought an ASUS laptop from Best Buy and forgets the password she set. What can she do??

There should be a "forgot password" thing after you input a wrong password. (Windows I'm assuming?)

Other wise look through the paperwork, most laptops come with a "recovery" partition that will bring back the computer to out-of-box state. You can probably get into it by hitting esc or f1 or f5 or f12 during the bootup sequence (like if you were getting into safemode/bios)

Futureman

Copernicus said:
There should be a "forgot password" thing after you input a wrong password. (Windows I'm assuming?)

Other wise look through the paperwork, most laptops come with a "recovery" partition that will bring back the computer to out-of-box state. You can probably get into it by hitting esc or f1 or f5 or f12 during the bootup sequence (like if you were getting into safemode/bios)

It says you must have created a password backup disk or something, so the "Reset Password" thing is not an option.

None of the paperwork in box has anything about booting into a recovery partition.

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
It says you must have created a password backup disk or something, so the "Reset Password" thing is not an option.

None of the paperwork in box has anything about booting into a recovery partition.

What laptop is it? When the splash screen comes up during a full boot hit ESC or the F1-F12 keys, you'll see the "real" bios boot up and you should see options in the bottom of the screen for setup/bios/recovery.

Futureman said:

use a password cracking application. google them. you'll create a bootable disc which will boot you into a very simple linux-based menu system. from there you will be able to blank the password or make a new one.

Futureman

It's an ASUS.

Hit ESC during splash, and got into the "Aptio Setup Utility" but I don't really see anything about resetting Windows.

Do I have to get into Safe mode?

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
It's an ASUS.

Hit ESC during splash, and got into the "Aptio Setup Utility" but I don't really see anything about resetting Windows.

Do I have to get into Safe mode?

Nope, that's the BIOS, you didn't see any other options like "setup"? It's not safe mode. There's another setup in between the two you have to catch.

What model Asus, some of them tend to have their own instructions.

Futureman

Only thing she did was install Firefox.

Ok, I'm in the ASUS Preload Wizard which I think will restore.

I have to option to:

-Recover Windows to first partition only
-Recover Windows to entire HD
-Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions

?

Option 2?

clav

Futureman said:
Only thing she did was install Firefox.

Ok, I'm in the ASUS Preload Wizard which I think will restore.

I have to option to:

-Recover Windows to first partition only
-Recover Windows to entire HD
-Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions

?

Option 2?
Does she not care if she loses all her stuff on the laptop?

Back it up via Linux Live distro first.

Top Bottom