• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

mblitek

Ugh!!! This morning I go to turn on my PC which I actually turned off for the first time in weeks.

Turn on computer
Gets to BIOS screen or whatever screen this is:
gh55b01.jpg

Just hangs there, eventually the fans go higher. Nothing.
I try to hit TAB, DEL but nothing.

What do I try first?

t-ramp

Ugh!!! This morning I go to turn on my PC which I actually turned off for the first time in weeks.

Turn on computer
gh55b01.jpg

What do I try first?
Reset the BIOS, either by removing the motherboard battery or shorting the pins next to it.

t-ramp

What does this do and why will it hopefully work? I'm not at my computer now (obviously) so that's why I ask.

Also, what causes it?
It just resets the BIOS to the stock settings. Since the BIOS configures your computer hardware you can experience all kinds of problems if it is not properly set up or corrupted. Of course, it's strange that it won't boot if you haven't had issues before, but still worth trying.

Whogie

Turn on computer
gh55b01.jpg

What do I try first?

Unplug your HDD/SSDs. It may be struggling to detect one.

Every time I put my AVI video into Virtual Dub Mod, this comes up.
Qi8NK.jpg

What is wrong?
Guess you don't have an AVC codec. This should have one:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

BigAT

I get the following two error messages when I try to launch the game Ticket to Ride through Steam.

"The JVM found at .\jre is damaged. Please reinstall or define EVE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE."

Followed by:
"The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-Xmx) might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution."

I don't have an antivirus or firewall running. Also, I have reinstalled the latest version of Java to make sure that isn't it, as well uninstalling and reinstalling Ticket to Ride, neither of which fixed the problem.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

accx

I get the following two error messages when I try to launch the game Ticket to Ride through Steam.

"The JVM found at .\jre is damaged. Please reinstall or define EVE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE."

Followed by:
"The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-Xmx) might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution."

I don't have an antivirus or firewall running. Also, I have reinstalled the latest version of Java to make sure that isn't it, as well uninstalling and reinstalling Ticket to Ride, neither of which fixed the problem.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

See this, it might help:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33101656

And maybe this? (Although quite technical and not related to the game)
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=30959.0

FinKL

4 Month old HP laptop. I cloned my laptop HDD to a SSD. In fact, I cloned it with the HDD still in my laptop. Swapped the HDD with the SSD and now the HDD is not being read 4 months after I swapped it.

Sounds like it's stuck on the first part/bit/platter or whatever. I don't want to say it's "clicking", but it might be. I haven't actually connected it to anything besides a 2.5" to USB adapter and nothing is being read on the computer (device manager, USB connection) or even BIOS. I just find it hard to believe that a new HDD can go bad so fast. It's a Toshiba if it's any reference.

I'm going to reinstall my HDD into the laptop over the weekend and see if it works. Then I'm going to freeze it (this ok?), and try again. Worst case, I want to erase the data on the drive before sending it in for warranty if they offer it. How would I erase the data (personal/work files) considering I can't access it and still maintain warranty...

Is this a PCI or PCIe slot? The computer is from three years ago so I don't know why it would be a PCI slot (I thought those were old) but from the images I've seen online it looks like a PCI slot. The back of the computer is on the right of the picture

Quoted for big pic

Jzero

Is this a PCI or PCIe slot? The computer is from three years ago so I don't know why it would be a PCI slot (I thought those were old) but from the images I've seen online it looks like a PCI slot. The back of the computer is on the right of the picture
Yup that's a normal PCI port.

Your computer should have a PCIe port as well since it's not that old.

Strike

I got a laptop running Vista that's stuck in an update loop. It won't run in safe mode. I don't have a boot disk and I don't want to lose anything. I'm at the command prompt window.

Update: Fixed it.

SmartBase

Recently I've been getting weird framerate drops in everything, ie. during Bluray playback and games. Happens maybe every 10-15min for a few seconds then goes away again. Not a graphics card driver issue as I rolled back a few times and have my power settings set to max performance. This shit's doin' my head in.

Edit - Never mind I think I've got it fixed.

Would this be the best thread to ask advice about whether upgrading my 2009 PC is worth it? Or the best way of doing it? I know there's the "I need a New PC!" thread.

I've been playing more games on my PC lately and have noticed some stutter. Is there anything hardwired here that would prevent me from really making upgrade progress? Regardless, here are my specs from my 2009 pc.

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-940 2.93 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
  • FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
  • HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
  • HDD2: 1.5TB (1.5TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable(TM)3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
  • MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+29] (Corsair Dominator)
  • POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies [+44] (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)
  • SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
  • VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO [+310] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

If I overclock my Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-940 2.93 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366, is it true I need to find a guide specific that that motherboard or generation? Forgive my ignorance, but I looked at some of the guides and they seem to be specific to certain motherboards. I definitely have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to overclocking.

t-ramp

Would this be the best thread to ask advice about whether upgrading my 2009 PC is worth it? Or the best way of doing it? I know there's the "I need a New PC!" thread.

I've been playing more games on my PC lately and have noticed some stutter. Is there anything hardwired here that would prevent me from really making upgrade progress? Regardless, here are my specs from my 2009 pc.

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-940 2.93 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
  • FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
  • HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
  • HDD2: 1.5TB (1.5TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable(TM)3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
  • MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+29] (Corsair Dominator)
  • POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies [+44] (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)
  • SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
  • VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO [+310] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
The "I need a new PC" thread would be a better place for this question. Looking at these specs, if you upgraded your video card to something current you'd probably iron out a lot of the stuttering you're experiencing now. I don't think dual-GPU cards from that generation were ever the best for smooth, consistent performance.

Regarding your question about overclocking, there are differences between features and layout of the BIOS interface between brands especially. On the whole the settings you'll be changing are similar to any other X58 board, but reading up on the specifics of overclocking with your particular board would definitely make things clearer.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
(Posted a while back in stupid questions, no help)

One album (and one album only) causes my iPod (4th gen) to freeze and/or really not work at all, forcing a hard reset. This problem has existed on it from iOS 4 to the current day on iOS 6. I've removed the songs, redownloaded new versions of the files from a different source and it still does. It is only this one album, no others. Which sucks, causes it an awesome EP. :/ The only thing I haven't tried is renaming the tags of the songs, to see if its a weird thing like that.

Any help?

The "I need a new PC" thread would be a better place for this question. Looking at these specs, if you upgraded your video card to something current you'd probably iron out a lot of the stuttering you're experiencing now. I don't think dual-GPU cards from that generation were ever the best for smooth, consistent performance.

Regarding your question about overclocking, there are differences between features and layout of the BIOS interface between brands especially. On the whole the settings you'll be changing are similar to any other X58 board, but reading up on the specifics of overclocking with your particular board would definitely make things clearer.

Thanks. When I purchased the computer, I really wasn't familiar with all the different pieces (still am not). It seemed logical to my 2009 self to choose higher end parts (including the 4870x2 GPU), but I'm not sure I ever really got much benefit from it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
this is probably a stupid question, but here goes. i a ps2 controller to usb adapter that i use pretty often when playing platform games, or older games in general. it was working just last night, but today, nothing seems to happen. the computer registers that its connected, but my inputs arent being detected. is there something i can do about this?

this is the device in question.

Parl

Hey, guys. It's not PC related but I've got to get a replacement 80mm fan for an amplifier. It looks just like a PC fan, all the same form factor.

The broken fan is a model RDH8025S (Xinruilian), 24V, 0.20A, 2-pin connector, brushless.

Just checking to see which of these fan specs would work which I found looking on eBay.

• 24V, 0.33A
  • 24V 0.15A
  • 12V, 0.2A

Bear in mind that this amp has been running relatively okay with the fan blades gunked up and broken for a while, except it cuts out. But we've now given it more ventilation and it'll be okay if the fan doesn't run as fast as the previous one. Just looking for some advice from somebody with knowledge in this area :)

t-ramp

Hey, guys. It's not PC related but I've got to get a replacement 80mm fan for an amplifier. It looks just like a PC fan, all the same form factor.

The broken fan is a model RDH8025S (Xinruilian), 24V, 0.20A, 2-pin connector, brushless.

Just checking to see which of these fan specs would work which I found looking on eBay.

• 24V, 0.33A
  • 24V 0.15A
  • 12V, 0.2A

Bear in mind that this amp has been running relatively okay with the fan blades gunked up and broken for a while, except it cuts out. But we've now given it more ventilation and it'll be okay if the fan doesn't run as fast as the previous one. Just looking for some advice from somebody with knowledge in this area :)
I would think the best option is the 24V, 0.15A fan. I doubt the 12V fan would respond well to 24V. I'm no electrician, so I have no idea if a fan rated for 0.33A could cause any issues drawing from a source intended for a 0.20A fan.

What are the RPM for these fans?

I would think the best option is the 24V, 0.15A fan. I doubt the 12V fan would respond well to 24V. I'm no electrician, so I have no idea if a fan rated for 0.33A could cause any issues drawing from a source intended for a 0.20A fan.

What are the RPM for these fans?
Generally, if a device is rated for a higher amperage than the power source, the only issue is that the device will work with less power than designed for. For fans, this isn't a serious issue and they'll just be less effective (slower, due to less power). The upshot will be that the fan will be quieter than normally tested for, so there's that.

The fan rated at .15 amps, if installed, may burn out due to receiving 125% of its designed power. You can mitigate this with a resistor, but that seems like overkill here.

TL;DR - Get the 24v, .33A rated fan.

t-ramp

Generally, if a device is rated for a higher amperage than the power source, the only issue is that the device will work with less power than designed for. For fans, this isn't a serious issue and they'll just be less effective (slower, due to less power). The upshot will be that the fan will be quieter than normally tested for, so there's that.

The fan rated at .15 amps, if installed, may burn out due to receiving 125% of its designed power. You can mitigate this with a resistor, but that seems like overkill here.

Okay, makes sense. With computer fans people tend to advise against high amperage fans, since they can supposedly draw more amps than the fan header can provide. I've always been a bit skeptical of this, but wasn't sure. On the other hand, for computers anyhow, it's perfectly fine to use, say, a 0.25A fan on a header that can provide a couple amps.

Is this just because of how the particular power source is designed? Would a power source for a fixed specification, like a particular fan in this case, provide a constant amperage as well as voltage?

Hey guys, I'm having difficulty with my laptop - the fan sounded like it was really struggling this past week or so, but yesterday it seemed to go back to normal levels and I thought everything was OK. Then, this morning I was watching a video file and the whole laptop just shut itself off and wouldn't reboot when I pressed the power button. I noticed the underside was very hot, so I left it for half an hour and tried again.

This time, it rebooted, but once Windows loaded something obviously wasn't right. It took ages to load anything, the ATI catalyst control center eventually spewed up an error, explorer crashed and I got a blue screen reboot. This happens every time I try to boot normally. It loads into safe mode fine, and as the video controller had thrown up an error I tried to disable the card and reboot into Windows normally, but the same thing keeps happening and all the while the fan isn't engaging.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I really can't afford a new laptop, nor an expensive repair job at the moment. Thanks.

Jzero

Hey guys, I'm having difficulty with my laptop - the fan sounded like it was really struggling this past week or so, but yesterday it seemed to go back to normal levels and I thought everything was OK. Then, this morning I was watching a video file and the whole laptop just shut itself off and wouldn't reboot when I pressed the power button. I noticed the underside was very hot, so I left it for half an hour and tried again.

This time, it rebooted, but once Windows loaded something obviously wasn't right. It took ages to load anything, the ATI catalyst control center eventually spewed up an error, explorer crashed and I got a blue screen reboot. This happens every time I try to boot normally. It loads into safe mode fine, and as the video controller had thrown up an error I tried to disable the card and reboot into Windows normally, but the same thing keeps happening and all the while the fan isn't engaging.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I really can't afford a new laptop, nor an expensive repair job at the moment. Thanks.
Have you tried cleaning the fan? It may be blocked with dust.

blocked-heatsink3.jpg

My sis-in-law has a HP laptop, Pavilion g7-1272nr.

What's the best way for her to use it for a dual screen station at home? She goes back and forth between there and work, so it would be best if there is minimal plugging and connecting. Is there some kind of dock that would let her just plug in once and use two external monitors, and maybe a keyboard and mouse? Thanks.

Parl

Okay, makes sense. With computer fans people tend to advise against high amperage fans, since they can supposedly draw more amps than the fan header can provide. I've always been a bit skeptical of this, but wasn't sure. On the other hand, for computers anyhow, it's perfectly fine to use, say, a 0.25A fan on a header that can provide a couple amps.

Is this just because of how the particular power source is designed? Would a power source for a fixed specification, like a particular fan in this case, provide a constant amperage as well as voltage?
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll go with the higher amperage one. More expensive but it's important as we use it a lot at work.

Robso

Are there any solutions when certain websites, for some reason, aren't working yet did previously?
I've checked if the sites are down, they're not. Used a different browser, still can't load them.

Working fine last night, and this morning they're not.

Edit: Should of added, main browser is Google Chrome and tried loading the sites through IE also.

Friggz

im in the process of building a new machine (its been about 8 years since ive built one, so im out of the loop on a few things) Would anyone that is more up to date on this stuff be able to tell me if the motherboard and video card i have linked below would work well together? Im kind of looking for a card that will support 3 monitors, but from my quick research it means my budget would pretty much have to double. thanks guy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055QYKQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SMUT70/?tag=neogaf0e-20

t-ramp

Yes, they'd work fine together. That said, there are probably better choices for your money. I'd ask in the "I need a new PC" thread.

blanky

I have some weird graphics card problems that I could really use you guys help with.

I haven't played a game in a while, last time was during the Mann VS. Machine update. I got FarCry 3 and started playing it at optimal settings. This produced 2 lockups and a temperature of 74 celsius. I have an i5 2500k stock, GTX 580 stock with the added ASUS cooler fans etc (non ref).

After the hard locks, that didn't produce any errors, I tried a beta driver and I got a Blue screen error. Deleted the driver, used driver sweeper and tried again with the old drivers. To see if it was related to FarCry 3 I booted up Battlefield three which after 1 minute in the game decided to hardlock and I never experienced that before in BF3.

So I'm probably left with some kind of hardware error? What are my options here?

I have some weird graphics card problems that I could really use you guys help with.

I haven't played a game in a while, last time was during the Mann VS. Machine update. I got FarCry 3 and started playing it at optimal settings. This produced 2 lockups and a temperature of 74 celsius. I have an i5 2500k stock, GTX 580 stock with the added ASUS cooler fans etc (non ref).

After the hard locks, that didn't produce any errors, I tried a beta driver and I got a Blue screen error. Deleted the driver, used driver sweeper and tried again with the old drivers. To see if it was related to FarCry 3 I booted up Battlefield three which after 1 minute in the game decided to hardlock and I never experienced that before in BF3.

So I'm probably left with some kind of hardware error? What are my options here?

First of all, check the card itself to see if the fans are able to turn properly. Give them a little nudge and they should hopefully turn on their own power for a few rotations. If they suddenly stop or feel hard to turn, they're full of dust and you need some compressed air.

Secondly, upgrade to the newest (stable, not beta) drivers and try some bench marking software like prime95 and see how it handles that. Repeat with Beta drivers if you really want.

Thirdly, check your CPU temps, that can cause lock-ups quite often.

If you want to know what caused your PC to crash, download this: http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/3000-2094_4-75205821.html It tells you exactly what crashed your PC.

blanky

First of all, check the card itself to see if the fans are able to turn properly. Give them a little nudge and they should hopefully turn on their own power for a few rotations. If they suddenly stop or feel hard to turn, they're full of dust and you need some compressed air.

Secondly, upgrade to the newest (stable, not beta) drivers and try some bench marking software like prime95 and see how it handles that. Repeat with Beta drivers if you really want.

Thirdly, check your CPU temps, that can cause lock-ups quite often.

If you want to know what caused your PC to crash, download this: http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/3000-2094_4-75205821.html It tells you exactly what crashed your PC.

According to GPUZ the fans were at 30 percent when the card was at 75 Celsius. The CPU was around 50 degrees, i'v been running prime95 for half an hour now without any hitches. And I am running the newest stable driver. It feels very random

Dear TechSupportGAF,

I'm using a Dell laptop E6500. The laptop suddenly shuts down sometimes. This usually happens when I'm doing something that requires heavy CPU processing like a 20mb spreadsheet. I do some major number crunching, then press F9 to refresh all cells, then I will see "Calculating, 0%..Processing". I will hear the CPU fan kick into high gear....and sometimes, the laptop will just shut down.

So it's not only for these major spreadsheets, but for any other thing that eats up lotsa CPU.

Help me, TechSupportGAF!

What's going on?

Hi TechSupportGAF...

Some help here please?

gblues

Banned
(Posted a while back in stupid questions, no help)

One album (and one album only) causes my iPod (4th gen) to freeze and/or really not work at all, forcing a hard reset. This problem has existed on it from iOS 4 to the current day on iOS 6. I've removed the songs, redownloaded new versions of the files from a different source and it still does. It is only this one album, no others. Which sucks, causes it an awesome EP. :/ The only thing I haven't tried is renaming the tags of the songs, to see if its a weird thing like that.

Any help?

In addition to checking out the tags, I would zap the cover art and re-download it via iTunes.

jns

Hi TechSupportGAF...

Some help here please?

You may have a setting in the BIOS/settings enabled which shuts the laptop down when it reaches a certain temp or a broken CPU fan.

[edit] Also I'm about 95% positive I've had a similar problem many years ago caused by a faulty memory module. If you can test it was different ram that might help narrow it down.

right okay, my girlfriend is having trouble using our NAS drive to play stuff on itunes & she's had the problem since upgrading to windows 8.
any idea how to point itunes to the NAS drive so that she can stream the music like she used to/i am on my mac, rather than copying or transferring things across?

i'll cross-post this in the itunes 11 & windows 8 threads too i think.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Does anyone know any fixes for a mouse not showing up in Windows 8? In Windows 7 my Razer Mamba worked fine but now that I've upgraded to Windows 8 my PC doesn't even detect it when I boot up most of the time.

Weenerz

Banned
Got a dumb issue I can't seem to resolve. Whenever I power on my system, it will always prompt me to choose which version of windows I want to log into. I only have one installation of windows, and both choices are for the same thing. How do I fix this with Windows 7?

Jzero

Got a dumb issue I can't seem to resolve. Whenever I power on my system, it will always prompt me to choose which version of windows I want to log into. I only have one installation of windows, and both choices are for the same thing. How do I fix this with Windows 7?
You may have windows installed twice. Go to the search bar in the start menu and serach for msconfig.exe and go to the boot tab and delete one of them.

Does anyone know any fixes for a mouse not showing up in Windows 8? In Windows 7 my Razer Mamba worked fine but now that I've upgraded to Windows 8 my PC doesn't even detect it when I boot up most of the time.
A lot of people seem to be having problems with their Razer mice and the only thing i could suggest is waiting for the Windows 8 driver or installing an old one in compability mode.

I have a question. My brother has been bugging me trying to get this TV out VGA cable to watch stuff from his PC on his TV. It has a VGA connection and an S-Video connector, which connect to composite cables that you plug into your TV. It's one of these exactly. But I have told him none of his computers have video cards that support TV out through VGA. The main computer he wants to use is old, only has AGP/PCI ports inside, so I have been trying to find a card to buy him that will work for what he wants.

I found this card. It connects via PCI, and has an S-Video out port. It says it supports TV out through S-Video. Am I correct in assuming this means you can connect the PC to his TV via S-Video and watch stuff? I have never used s-video, what would he do for sound? Thanks.

Weenerz

Banned
You may have windows installed twice. Go to the search bar in the start menu and serach for msconfig.exe and go to the boot tab and delete one of them.

A lot of people seem to be having problems with their Razer mice and the only thing i could suggest is waiting for the Windows 8 driver or installing an old one in compability mode.

That worked, thank you.

It connects via PCI, and has an S-Video out port. It says it supports TV out through S-Video. Am I correct in assuming this means you can connect the PC to his TV via S-Video and watch stuff? I have never used s-video, what would he do for sound? Thanks.
Yup. Old TVs are basically CRT monitors with crappy resolution. For sound, the computer should have some kind of speaker audio plug. Anything that uses a 3.5mm jack should work.

Top Bottom